• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

fredrancour
(01-11-2017, 06:49 PM)
i would take the wait-and-see approach after how underwhelming the new 3ds support was. maybe i'd pull the trigger in 2021. 4 years wouldn't feel like too short a period between hardware purchases.
notaskwid
(01-11-2017, 06:50 PM)

Originally Posted by joms5

I'd SWITCH to PC and forget about consoles altogether.

Might as well do it now if that's going to be your reaction to a New Switch.
pizzacat
(01-11-2017, 06:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Fantastapotamus

The Switch isn't even out yet, isn't this a bit soon?

What do you think the switch smells like
casey_contra
(01-11-2017, 06:52 PM)
I'm expecting this and will probably buy.
The Artisan
(01-11-2017, 06:52 PM)

Originally Posted by vincenth69

Laugh.

Of course they can take the 3DS route with multiple upgrades over the years, but as for the PS4-Pro and XboxOne-Scorpio, the lower version needs to play the games and so, they will be held back and we have seen how that worked on the N3DS.
The "Switch 2" would make more sense for me.

Switch 2 sounds like a successor, what OP is talking about is an iteration. Why would a successor come in 3 years
Maintenance
(01-11-2017, 06:53 PM)
Shocking news.
muteki
(01-11-2017, 06:55 PM)
Inevitable.
tapedeck
Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
(01-11-2017, 06:55 PM)

Originally Posted by A Dead Diehard

"Not this shit again..."

Brawly Likes to Brawl
(01-11-2017, 06:59 PM)
I would hate that because the New 3ds is an almost worthless upgrade unless you hack it to force the overclock feature on any games you want.

Better spec doesn't help if only one or two games actually bothers supporting it.
bytesized
(01-11-2017, 07:00 PM)
I'm 100% sure there will be a switch pocket and a switch "pro" that is VR ready down the line. 2020-21 seems about right.

I think nintendo will stick to this concept for a long time and add technology gets better it will get to the point where the difference in power between normal consoles and the switch will be not that discernible. At that point Sony and Microsoft will probably be copying the switch concept already.
vincenth69
(01-11-2017, 07:04 PM)

Originally Posted by The Artisan

Switch 2 sounds like a successor, what OP is talking about is an iteration. Why would a successor come in 3 years

He ends by "Would you prefer just to be Switch 2?" I just answered.
And on to why a successor would come in 3 years ? Because with what we currently know (eurogamer leaks) Nintendo can't really iterate without blocking previous version. The X1 will be so old in 3years that making a game for it and for a new Switch.5 might need extreme work or extreme downgardes for the game to run on the older hardware.
Pineapple
(01-11-2017, 07:04 PM)
I mean, isn't this the plan and the entire idea behind the "NX" concept?

Nintendo seemed to have two main goals with this system -

- One system that can be truly played anywhere, whether at home on your HDTV or on the go.
- An architecture that is highly scalable and will allow users to retain all of their games and content going forward, even as new versions are introduced. While you eventually may have to buy a newer Switch to play new games, you'll always be able to play games you've already purchased.

I think this is one of the reasons Nintendo partnered with NVIDIA, and I'm sure it's a long term partnership (10+ years). I have no doubt we'll see numerous versions of the Switch in the future, with 1080p+ dispalys, different screen sizes, Volta GPUs, more powerful ARM cores, etc.
ModBot 2
Not a Mod, just a bot.
(01-11-2017, 07:08 PM)
We don't need to dry run speculative replacement hardware announcements before the hardware they're replacing comes out.