• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ZOONAMI
(05-16-2017, 05:36 PM)

Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS

If the Nova/high end can match the performance of the Ti while being $100 cheaper, it will be a winner.

I think even if it's meaningfully faster than a 1080 but a bit slower than 1080 ti it will do well.

The $399 part needs to best the 1070 and the $499 part needs to match the 1080 though, so we'll see.

But yeah with the delta between 1070/1080 not all that huge but still meaningful, the $399 part could be a big winner if it sits right between 1070/1080. If it can beat a stock 1080 ocd it'll be a big winner as the 1070 can't do that.
Last edited by ZOONAMI; 05-16-2017 at 05:46 PM.
ZOONAMI
(05-16-2017, 05:41 PM)

Originally Posted by llien

This seems to be wccftech style copy-paste of a reddit post... =/

Yeah the reporting here doesn't really seem well researched at all. 1070 oc doesn't catch a stock 1080, and talking about the 1080ti and Titan like there's a meaningful difference is odd as well.
llien
(05-16-2017, 06:59 PM)
Radeon PRO SSG, "1 Terabyte era has begun".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8pMM2wV7k

AMD stock up 16%+ (for no apparent reason).

Perhaps that's what Raja meant by #sweet16 (joking, of course)
Lagspike_exe
(05-16-2017, 07:15 PM)

Maybe they knocked it out of the park with Vega. 16% isn't a move by one player.
kotodama
(05-16-2017, 07:26 PM)

By the rumor, sell the news.

Seriously hope Vega is good. I'd like to do a Threadripper + Vega combo.
Unknown Soldier
(05-16-2017, 07:32 PM)

It's up because of rumors that Intel will start licensing AMD GPU tech after their agreement with Nvidia ends this quarter
Thraktor
(05-16-2017, 07:33 PM)

Originally Posted by dr_rus

Of course the easiest explanation for 16GB figure would be that this is a prototype of a future Vega 10 chip using 8-Hi HBM2 stacks provided by Hynix for testing.

Well, yes, but if it's an actual card releasing somewhat soon, then I'd think 4x4GB would seem more likely than 2x8GB.

This could be kind of interesting (from a technical perspective) if it's a Vega card. AMD's overview of Vega's memory system described the HBM as "High Bandwidth Cache", and the card has a virtual memory address space of 512TB, which would imply that the card can actually treat the entire 1024TB SSD and 8GB HBM as a single pool, greatly simplifying things compared to the old Fiji-based model. Of course its actual usefulness depends entirely on software support, and I don't know what kind of progress they've managed to make there, but it's an interesting curiosity nonetheless.
sfried
(05-17-2017, 09:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Coulomb_Barrier

The flagship is water-cooled so much smaller than your equivalent 1080 Ti in terms of length. Quite a sexy looking flagship I might add. Let's hope it's packing some serious firepower.

So are they finally announcing a true successor to the R9 Nano? Wish they announced something for the MiniITX builds out there.
llien
(05-17-2017, 09:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier

It's up because of rumors that Intel will start licensing AMD GPU tech after their agreement with Nvidia ends this quarter

That rumor was there back in December last year.
PFD
(Yesterday, 02:54 PM)
WCCFTech strikes again:
AMD Working On 14nm+ Vega 2.0 To Compete With NVIDIA’s Volta In 2018
Hesemonni
(Yesterday, 06:52 PM)
Guru3d: Radeon RX Vega for consumers might still be out a couple of months

Apparently Lisa Su, the CEO of AMD has stated in a JP Morgan conference that and I quote “RX Vega to be launched a "couple months" after Vega FE”. Now, the transcript of that conference is not yet available to the public, hence I cannot verify and factually check that statement myself.

...Jay?
opticalmace
(Yesterday, 06:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Hesemonni

...Jay?

Damn, that's really pushing it.
tuxfool
(Yesterday, 06:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Thraktor

This could be kind of interesting (from a technical perspective) if it's a Vega card. AMD's overview of Vega's memory system described the HBM as "High Bandwidth Cache", and the card has a virtual memory address space of 512TB, which would imply that the card can actually treat the entire 1024TB SSD and 8GB HBM as a single pool, greatly simplifying things compared to the old Fiji-based model. Of course its actual usefulness depends entirely on software support, and I don't know what kind of progress they've managed to make there, but it's an interesting curiosity nonetheless.

What I understood from the various bits and pieces they've said, is that memory is fully virtualized, and that it pages data in or out as needed.
RootCause
(Yesterday, 06:59 PM)

...Jay?

What the hell happened?
SolidSnakeUS
(Yesterday, 07:12 PM)
A couple months, are you fucking kidding me? It won't be DOA, but definitely a little too late to the party.
LeleSocho
(Yesterday, 07:13 PM)

...Jay?

A couple of months after Vega FE? that means late August lol who the heck is going to buy that?
LelouchZero
(Yesterday, 07:15 PM)
Wow, a couple of months? If the highest end Vega model isn't able to compete with or surpass the 1080 Ti then wow.
K.Jack
Knowledge is power, guard it well
(Today, 03:01 AM)

...Jay?

What's 3 steps past the point of "late to the party", I'm having a tough time with words.

Vega needs to be transcendent, to be worth such a wait.
Omeganex9999
(Today, 03:09 AM)
I'm going to Computex next week but I need a PC and I think I'd better go for Nvidia anyways. Honestly I don't believe Vega will put Nvidia to shame and I have waited too long.

Also, I'm expecting Vega to be much more expensive than the competition. An RX 580 is 70$ more expensive than a 1060 in Japan. I don't think adaptive sync is worth the extra money, I'm probably getting an used 980ti. Sad.