• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Zedark
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:14 PM)
Zedark's Avatar
I don't get this one piece from the Gamerant article:

Originally Posted by Gamerant

That said, the Nintendo Switch has its challenges when it comes to reaching that goal. A recent study found that while half the population of the UK knows what the Nintendo Switch is, only 32 percent of those who heard of it intended to buy one. If thatÂ’s the case worldwide, the Nintendo Switch may face a long, uphill battle in its attempt to overtake the Wii.

To me it seems they are literally saying that having 16% of the population of the world intending to buy the system is a bad result. So having upwards of a billion people wanting a Switch is a bad result? That can't be what they are arguing.
kswiston
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:14 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by Peltz

The "gimmick" is that it's the only dedicated gaming handheld being made by one of the three major hardware manufacturers. I'd say that's a potentially stronger feature than motion controls depending on the market.

Probably not. The 7th generation included a market of people who have since left gaming. Nintendo's novel and intuitive control methods on both the Wii and the DS attracted people who had little interest in traditional consoles, along with lapsed gamers from the NES/SNES eras. That audience has since moved on to the mobile market, and seems to be mostly content with staying there.

Wii + NDS will likely have outsold the entire 8th generation of consoles (PS4, XB1, Wii U, 3DS, Vita) by the end of this generation, and that doesn't even factor in the 250M+ additional units moved by the 360, PS3, and PSP.
Last edited by kswiston; 03-21-2017 at 05:16 PM.
marc^o^
Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
(03-21-2017, 05:15 PM)
marc^o^'s Avatar


I'm just back from my ski weekend, we were 6 with 4 Switchs, and our friend playing on the left of the tiny TV we had is buying a Switch this week. The fact it's so easy to bring and show this console makes it a super viral system.

BTW Snipperclips with 4 friends is hilarious, we literally cried with laughter.
Zedark
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:16 PM)
Zedark's Avatar

Originally Posted by Calamari41

I believe they are three different teams, yes. I would assume that the 2D Mario Team's latest game was Mario Maker, meaning that they should be due for either a port of that soon or a new game within the next couple of years. In time for next Christmas, perhaps?

Originally Posted by Peltz

Yes, 3D Mario is a studio in Tokyo, 2D Mario is a separate studio (technically there is more than one 2D Mario team though), and Mario Kart is indeed another separate studio that is currently making ARMS.

I see, thanks guys! I am a big fan of 3D platformers, so Odyssey is a bit of a dream come true for the launch year to me, but I am also kinda anticipating the 2D variant, since they are (or so I've heard) really good as well.
spekkeh
(03-21-2017, 05:17 PM)
spekkeh's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alter_Fridge

Wii managed to connect phenomenally with the middle aged to older women bracket, I don't see how the Switch will corner them this time.

Yeah good point. Not middle aged to older though (or you call 30 already middle aged), but girls/women of all ages are the growth market that made Wii and DS soar and Wii U falter. Maybe that's why the TV advertising focuses on 1-2 Switch instead of Zelda. They also have Just Dance and I think Mario Kart is popular, but outside of that it's hard not to see the console aesthetics being primarily attractive for men (though this also may have pushed them to include neon). They really need to get Animal Crossing and Layton out quick.
kswiston
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:22 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zedark

I see, thanks guys! I am a big fan of 3D platformers, so Odyssey is a bit of a dream come true for the launch year to me, but I am also kinda anticipating the 2D variant, since they are (or so I've heard) really good as well.

I sort of wonder if they will hold off on 2D Mario until they can drastically revamp the formula. I think that going with another New Super Mario Bros game would be a mistake (even if they are generally solid games).

The Switch is the perfect system to shake up all of their old franchises that haven't been changed enough in the past decade. Nintendo completely revamped Zelda. Mario Odyssey also looks like a similarly drastic departure from the 3D world stuff. Mario Kart and Pokemon have also been seeing some (more gradual) re-tooling in recent entries. I think that 2D Mario and Animal Crossing are likely candidates for shake-ups this gen.
AEdouard
Junior Member
(03-21-2017, 05:22 PM)
I think it's pretty clear by now that the Switch is doing much better than the Wii U. The enthusiasm about the console is real and people want to buy it. Way too early to make comparisons with the Wii though. And the Switch will need some content besides Zelda. Hopefully it sells well and 3rd parties get a bit more interested in releasing stuff on it.
Last edited by AEdouard; 03-21-2017 at 05:25 PM.
13ruce
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:32 PM)
13ruce's Avatar
The Switch sub reddit already beat the Wii U one lol.

Also a much better place so much positive responses there.
MikeyB
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:33 PM)
MikeyB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Skittzo0413

Those really aren't my type of games, so I don't have much of an interest in them. And regarding TLG, I played ICO back in the day and absolutely hated it (don't kill me) so that sorta turned me off from that studio.

Like I said, I'm having trouble thinking of any exclusive PS4/XB1 game that I personally have much of an interest in beyond Bloodborne.

You've shifted your goalposts substantially. From the PS4 focuses on graphics over gameplay, to PS4 exclusives focus on graphics over gameplay, to I am not interested in PS4 exclusives that focus on gameplay over graphics that I am not interested in.

Whatever. My derail is done and I hope the Switch does well. I enjoyed Nintendo consoles up until motion controls, so I'm hoping that this puts them back on track.
Calamari41
41 > 38
(03-21-2017, 05:34 PM)
Calamari41's Avatar

Originally Posted by kswiston

I sort of wonder if they will hold off on 2D Mario until they can drastically revamp the formula. I think that going with another New Super Mario Bros game would be a mistake (even if they are generally solid games).

The Switch is the perfect system to shake up all of their old franchises that haven't been changed enough in the past decade. Nintendo completely revamped Zelda. Mario Odyssey also looks like a similarly drastic departure from the 3D world stuff. Mario Kart and Pokemon have also been seeing some (more gradual) re-tooling in recent entries. I think that 2D Mario and Animal Crossing are likely candidates for shake-ups this gen.

I see Mario Maker as the "glorious end" of the 2D Mario line as we know it. I definitely expect a shakeup to some extent for the next iteration, to make it non-redundant with Mario Maker.
mstevens
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:37 PM)
mstevens's Avatar

Originally Posted by Calamari41

I see Mario Maker as the "glorious end" of the 2D Mario line as we know it. I definitely expect a shakeup to some extent for the next iteration, to make it non-redundant with Mario Maker.

Tarrey Town made me want a true 3D Animal Crossing with camera control and everything.
digitalrelic
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:40 PM)
digitalrelic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Majukun

find it hard to believe, but if they say it ,it must be true

problem is after zelda there is really little available oinn the console..i wonder if they can keep this thing going in the following months

After Zelda there's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. This will be huge. Don't forget that practically no one owned the Wii U, meaning practically no one got to experience Mario Kart 8.

After that there's ARMS in Summer.

After that there's Splatoon 2 in Summer.

After that there's Super Mario Odyssey in the Fall.

Sprinkle in a few 3rd party big sellers like Skyrim & NBA 2K18, and a ton of great indies like Stardew Valley, Overcooked, Yooka Laylee, Rime, Shovel Knight, Snake Pass, SteamWorld Dig 2, etc... and you have a really solid first year for the console.
darkazcura
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Zedark

I don't get this one piece from the Gamerant article:

To me it seems they are literally saying that having 16% of the population of the world intending to buy the system is a bad result. So having upwards of a billion people wanting a Switch is a bad result? That can't be what they are arguing.

Yeah I don't think they worked their numbers out right. I'm reading it the same as you..16% of any population wanting a gaming console is pretty damn good lol
jroc74
Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
(03-21-2017, 05:43 PM)
jroc74's Avatar

Originally Posted by digitalrelic

After Zelda there's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. This will be huge. Don't forget that practically no one owned the Wii U, meaning practically no one got to experience Mario Kart 8.

After that there's ARMS in Summer.

After that there's Splatoon 2 in Summer.

After that there's Super Mario Odyssey in the Fall.

Sprinkle in a few 3rd party big sellers like Skyrim & NBA 2K18, and a ton of great indies like Stardew Valley, Overcooked, Yooka Laylee, Rime, Shovel Knight, Snake Pass, SteamWorld Dig 2, etc... and you have a really solid first year for the console.

For some reason this makes the first year library look a whole lot better. And I have no real interest in ARMS.

Ppl just gotta get past the launch library.
DooMAGE
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:44 PM)
DooMAGE's Avatar

Originally Posted by marc^o^



I'm just back from my ski weekend, we were 6 with 4 Switchs, and our friend playing on the left of the tiny TV we had is buying a Switch this week. The fact it's so easy to bring and show this console makes it a super viral system.

BTW Snipperclips with 4 friends is hilarious, we literally cried with laughter.

Thats amazing
TS-08
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:47 PM)

Originally Posted by digitalrelic

After Zelda there's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. This will be huge. Don't forget that practically no one owned the Wii U, meaning practically no one got to experience Mario Kart 8.

After that there's ARMS in Summer.

After that there's Splatoon 2 in Summer.

After that there's Super Mario Odyssey in the Fall.

Sprinkle in a few 3rd party big sellers like Skyrim & NBA 2K18, and a ton of great indies like Stardew Valley, Overcooked, Yooka Laylee, Rime, Shovel Knight, Snake Pass, SteamWorld Dig 2, etc... and you have a really solid first year for the console.

ARMS is currently slated for release in Spring, just FYI.
LFMartins86
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:56 PM)
LFMartins86's Avatar

Originally Posted by digitalrelic

After Zelda there's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. This will be huge. Don't forget that practically no one owned the Wii U, meaning practically no one got to experience Mario Kart 8.

After that there's ARMS in Summer.

After that there's Splatoon 2 in Summer.

After that there's Super Mario Odyssey in the Fall.

Sprinkle in a few 3rd party big sellers like Skyrim & NBA 2K18, and a ton of great indies like Stardew Valley, Overcooked, Yooka Laylee, Rime, Shovel Knight, Snake Pass, SteamWorld Dig 2, etc... and you have a really solid first year for the console.

Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are also supposed to come out this year.
Skittzo0413
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:16 PM)
Skittzo0413's Avatar

Originally Posted by MikeyB

You've shifted your goalposts substantially. From the PS4 focuses on graphics over gameplay, to PS4 exclusives focus on graphics over gameplay, to I am not interested in PS4 exclusives that focus on gameplay over graphics that I am not interested in.

Whatever. My derail is done and I hope the Switch does well. I enjoyed Nintendo consoles up until motion controls, so I'm hoping that this puts them back on track.

I never said this. I said the industry focusing on just more powerful hardware solely for the sake of better graphics is in my opinion a bad trend to pursue, as it can (and sometimes does) come at the expense of gameplay. I said many times that there are quite a few examples of games that manage great gameplay and great graphics, but the fact that some games do suffer for their graphics is worrying to me.

You only really focused on my personal view of not really having interest in a PS4, which is -clearly- because I have little interest in any PS4 exclusives (beyond Bloodborne). I never shifted any goal posts, you were just having a conversation different from my initial one.

Anyway this isn't really the thread for this, even though it is tangentially related due to a potential great success for the Switch indicating that consumers aren't solely interested in the best graphics.

Thread Tools