• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

MTC100
(03-20-2017, 09:31 PM)

Originally Posted by jrh2

Piracy is pretty rampant on mobile devices, especially Android, so I understand why they did it. Still sucks, though.

The question remains: Will it even prevent the game from being pirated? History showed us time and time again that there is no perfect method to keep your games save from piracy.
Soul of the Beast
Banned
(03-20-2017, 09:31 PM)
Forced always online is the worst, I hope they sort it out.
mariosbrother
(03-20-2017, 09:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Dishwalla

I'd be more upset about this if the game was better, but yeah it's not really that good of a game, so ultimately I don't really care. Just glad I didn't spend the 10 bucks on it.

And I stand in the opposite camp. I've enjoyed my $10 expenditure and think they did a good job with it.
Inferno313
(03-20-2017, 09:33 PM)
It definitely does suck, won't deny that. At the same time, it never once inhibited my playthrough of the game, and from what I understand, seems like a necessary evil. So, it's kind of hard for me, personally, to get outraged about this.
NOLA_Gaffer
(03-20-2017, 09:34 PM)

Originally Posted by MTC100

The question remains: Will it even prevent the game from being pirated? History showed us time and time again that there is no perfect method to keep your games save from piracy.

Of course not, but they have to try, at least.

If you've got 100,000 individuals ready and willing to pirate your game but only 10% of 'em actually manage to do so, it's better to limit it to that 10% than have the whole lot run roughshod over your operation.
atr0cious
(03-20-2017, 09:35 PM)
Yes, mobile games are starting to go this way. Besides FEHeroes, I stick to little arcade games like ridiculous fishing, enyo, and the SquareEnix GO series.
Griss
(03-20-2017, 09:37 PM)

Originally Posted by riotous

So that you can't sell a cell phone with a bunch of games installed that the purchaser doesn't have a license for.

I don't understand - why is the licence tied to my sim card and not my google android account? What the fuck is the point of the sim card besides making phone calls - what does it have to do with any of the rest of the device?

My gmail app works just fine when I replace the sim, or even leave a sim card out. Why on earth would any app function differently?
riotous
(03-20-2017, 09:42 PM)

Originally Posted by oti xero

I'd imagine those loads of games don't have a single IAP that unlock the full game for 10 bucks. Mario Run is an alien in the mobile market. It shouldn't work. But because it's Mario it does, to some extent.

I paid for most of my games; I play tower defense games and the F2P ones are terrible. If I have the option to buy a game I do.

Maybe that's why I don't see this online requirement thing.
riotous
(03-20-2017, 09:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Griss

I don't understand - why is the licence tied to my sim card and not my google android account? What the fuck is the point of the sim card besides making phone calls - what does it have to do with any of the rest of the device?

My gmail app works just fine when I replace the sim, or even leave a sim card out. Why on earth would any app function differently?

Well the other option is that maybe you are seeing some sort of region locking?

But the reason why a dev might code a game to lock to a SIM would just be an extra layer of protection; someone can create a throway g-mail or apple account every time they buy a phone and then sell the phone with the login.

But now that I think about it; I think I'm wrong.. I think it's just good old region locking. Things are priced / marketed / released differently in different regions. It's gotta be that; I've never heard of someone losing their games if they switch carriers for instance.
Last edited by riotous; 03-20-2017 at 09:47 PM.
425kid
(03-20-2017, 09:49 PM)
I understand the rational behind it but it was unfortunate. The area around my workplace is a huge dead spot so this is a deal breaker for me and why I havn't pay the $10. I got a really cheap grandfathered plan so I am not changing it either.
Falchion
Yeah probably going to skip this when it's out for Android next week. Not a lot of content plus always online? No thanks.
rpmurphy
After you beat the main story (plus all the special coins), there's really not much to the game as a time waster aside from doing the Toad Rallies, which requires an online connection anyway.

But yeah, forced DRM sucks in general.
Gaogaogao
(03-20-2017, 09:52 PM)
"working as intended"
NOLA_Gaffer
(03-20-2017, 09:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Falchion

Yeah probably going to skip this when it's out for Android next week. Not a lot of content plus always online? No thanks.

It has I think 24 unique stages with three unique coin challenges for each, so you're looking at 72 single-player challenges that ramp up in difficulty fairly significantly on each tier, plus a multiplayer mode that's addictive as fuck plus Kingdom Builder mode which is...eh.

I probably sunk at least 40 to 50 hours into the game and that's without clearing all the coin challenges due to my shitty phone, so I think it's well worth the $10, but I can understand how it's definitely a "Your Mileage May Vary" situation.
Calm Mind
(03-20-2017, 09:54 PM)
OP living under rock confirmed.
whitehawk
leeches are the best bait when attempting to land bass
(03-20-2017, 09:55 PM)
It would be nice if they only required a daily or weekly check in online for you to play. So you could launch it at the airport and be free to play offline for the next 24 hrs.
ChaosZeroX
(03-20-2017, 09:56 PM)
Still waiting for it to come to Android lol
chillybright
(03-20-2017, 10:01 PM)
Is it still easy to pirate on ios devices these days?
Last edited by chillybright; 03-20-2017 at 11:43 PM.
franklyshankly
(03-20-2017, 10:03 PM)

Originally Posted by EnergizerFellow

Piracy is so pervasive on mobile that they don't really have a choice. Plus unless you're literally on a plane or boat in the middle of nowhere, your phone will have some kind of internet access, at least for a license check anyways.

No other developer or publisher gets this benefit of the doubt when it comes to always online in a single player game.
Plasmid
(03-20-2017, 10:06 PM)
Can't play it on a jailbroken iphone either. :(
FantasticMrFoxdie
Mumber
(03-20-2017, 10:09 PM)
Precisely why I didn't/won't buy the game.

Also, I tried the game at an Apple Store and the first impression was annoying as hell anyway. Always running, in a game thats very foundation is perfect controls, is ridiculous and stupid.

Atleast Pokemon GO and Fire Emblem Heroes have been decent games (kind of)
dtm808
(03-20-2017, 10:11 PM)

Originally Posted by franklyshankly

No other developer or publisher gets this benefit of the doubt when it comes to always online in a single player game.

Blizzard, Ubi, EA etc.

Originally Posted by chillybright

Is it still easy to pirate on it's devices these days?

Are you talking in general? On Android its unbelievably easy. You don't even need root to install pirated apps.
Pancakes R Us
(03-20-2017, 10:11 PM)
I tried to play this game on the train today, wouldn't work because I had no data connection. So glad I didn't bother paying the upgrade fee for the full game. I'd only really play it on the train...which I can't do because of this always online bullshit. Keep innovating, Nintendo.
spared
(03-20-2017, 10:13 PM)
This is well-known, well-documented and was also well-announced by Nintendo that it would be the case. It's your fault for not reading all the material they present BEFORE you buy, like most people who complaint about such things.

...on that note, Super Mario Run is the ONLY game I've played since... the first Dungeon Hunter on iPhone. Not liking any games usually that's on these things, but it was worth definitely the $10, I played a lot and still play sometimes, while every game I've ever bought on a mobile device (other than gaming dedicated systems) whether they were 99 cents ok 9 dollars, I've never played them for more than a couple times 3-4 minutes at at time. For ONCE, on my phone / tablet, I was able to take advantage of a game I bought. I think it says a lot about Mario on a mobile device!
franklyshankly
(03-20-2017, 10:13 PM)

Originally Posted by dtm808

Blizzard, Ubi, EA etc.

Yeah, and they all get torn to shreds whenever it happens. The always online in D3 was a huge blowback, people weren't rushing to defend them about piracy. Just weird how different the tone is to me. But really, who cares it's just mario run.
eyeball_kid
(03-20-2017, 10:14 PM)
Didn't buy for this reason. Always online is never really acceptable from a customer rights perspective, but for a mobile game that is paid upfront it's a dealbreaker.

Having said that, I doubt for most people who were considering buying the game it was ever an issue, or even a known issue.
KtSlime
(03-20-2017, 11:35 PM)

Originally Posted by djlr181

There are many places where a person might not have internet connection. I and many others have a daily commute in an underground metro/subway where Super Mario Run is unplayable.

Not having an internet connection is not Nintendo's fault, if you want service somewhere contact your phone provider.

And before you ask, yes I use 3 subway lines in my daily commute and always have a solid 4g connection (in Japan).

Having service on the train is common sense in Japan, Nintendo wouldn't have thought it would be different elsewhere.
chillybright
(03-20-2017, 11:44 PM)

Originally Posted by dtm808

Blizzard, Ubi, EA etc.

Are you talking in general? On Android its unbelievably easy. You don't even need root to install pirated apps.

I meant to type ios...damn auto correct.
ronaldthump
Banned
(03-21-2017, 09:28 AM)
so piracy = its okay to prevent someone who paid for your content to not be able to play the game?

I can't believe so many people are defending this. It's total shit and if they're so afraid of piracy, its probably a good thing that the game bombed out on IOS. Mario Run as a game is perfect for playing on a plane, where you won't have internet. How many app developers do this? This is stupid and its insane to excuse it. I own more expensive apps on the iPad that do not do this

Originally Posted by eyeball_kid

Didn't buy for this reason. Always online is never really acceptable from a customer rights perspective, but for a mobile game that is paid upfront it's a dealbreaker.

Having said that, I doubt for most people who were considering buying the game it was ever an issue, or even a known issue.

I doubt many consumers even know this is always online. "Oh, hey a game. Let's buy it"
Last edited by ronaldthump; 03-21-2017 at 09:31 AM.
SinCityAssassin
(03-21-2017, 09:30 AM)
So did android users just basically ignore Mario Run for the last 4 months without knowing this was a thing or...?
BocoDragon
or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
(03-21-2017, 09:31 AM)
Airplanes are one of the few times in my life when I'm like "time to cozy up to mobile gaming". So yeah, it sucks.
Mendrox
(03-21-2017, 09:32 AM)

Originally Posted by KtSlime

Not having an internet connection is not Nintendo's fault, if you want service somewhere contact your phone provider.

And before you ask, yes I use 3 subway lines in my daily commute and always have a solid 4g connection (in Japan).

Having service on the train is common sense in Japan, Nintendo wouldn't have thought it would be different elsewhere.

C'mon you have an internet connection everywhere in Japan. Even on the mountains.

Where as here in Europe I have to be lucky to get internet in the subways in certain areas.
miller.skippins
Banned
(03-21-2017, 09:33 AM)
I can see Mario Run being a fun game to play on a flight....

but due to this, Mario Run becomes unplayable on a flight

Hearthstone has a same problem as well...

i want to play Hearthstone on a flight, goddamnit!
ronaldthump
Banned
(03-21-2017, 09:36 AM)

Originally Posted by daman824

The game would have made plenty of money if they hadn't put in the online check. They weren't forced to do anything

Originally Posted by LOLDSFAN

Source?

The way they structured the game meant that they lost a lot of sales. Only the tiniest percentage of people paid to unlock their game despite the high number of downloads (50+ million). If Nintendo had priced the game at $10 outright or $5, they would have killed it. It's out there somewhere. There's been analysis on why MR flopped.
SinCityAssassin
(03-21-2017, 09:39 AM)

Originally Posted by ronaldthump

The way they structured the game meant that they lost a lot of sales. Only the tiniest percentage of people paid to unlock their game despite the high number of downloads (50+ million). If Nintendo had priced the game at $10 outright or $5, they would have killed it. It's out there somewhere. There's been analysis on why MR flopped.

There's no analysis needed.

It's 10 bucks, even if the initial demo is free. Mobile market audience don't want to see that number anywhere. They want it all free and then be whispered to like "hey buddy, looks like you need some rally tickets, I got ya bud, 5 more for 99 cents you feel me?" and they'd do that exact sequence 10 times anyways.
Durante
Come on down to Durante's drivethru PC port fixes. 15 minutes or less. Yelp: ★★★★★

Fixed Souls, Deadly Premonition, Lightning Returns, Umihara Kawase, Symphonia, Little King's Story, PhD, likes mimosas.
(03-21-2017, 09:40 AM)

Originally Posted by EnergizerFellow

Piracy is so pervasive on mobile that they don't really have a choice.

To understand whether this is true, does anyone know if the top 20 highest grossing mobile games with a similar pricing structure all require online authentication?

(I'm honestly asking a question here, I have no idea since I don't follow mobile gaming at all)
SalvaPot
(03-21-2017, 09:41 AM)
This is what happens when Nintendo goes third party /s.

Piracy is a huge problem for mobile and since this is a pay once and keep forever game it meant this was a neccesary evil, it sucks but that is what happens. If you want Mario on the go with no online restrictions there is always a 3DS or Switch down the line.

I don't like it but it makes bussiness sense, as simple as that. Its not like they are hiding it. You either buy it or not.
Shiggy
Banned
(03-21-2017, 09:42 AM)

Originally Posted by KtSlime

Yeah, this sounds pretty much like Nintendo.
SinCityAssassin
(03-21-2017, 09:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Durante

To understand whether this is true, does anyone know if the top 20 highest grossing mobile games with a similar pricing structure all require online authentication?

(I'm honestly asking a question here, I have no idea since I don't follow mobile gaming at all)

I would not know myself, but I'll have to enlighten you in saying that none of the top 20 grossing mobile games have premium pricing structure.
ronaldthump
Banned
(03-21-2017, 09:46 AM)

Originally Posted by SinCityAssassin

It's 10 bucks, even if the initial demo is free. Mobile market audience don't want to see that number anywhere. They want it all free and then be whispered to like "hey buddy, looks like you need some rally tickets, I got ya bud, 5 more for 99 cents you feel me?" and they'd do that exact sequence 10 times anyways.

They could have made it $1 and still made 50 million dollars and built in some sort of coin economy that you don't have to use, but you can opt to. Like smurfs etc. The game itself with the red coins for multiplayer is easily tweaked for it.
ronaldthump
Banned
(03-21-2017, 09:51 AM)

Im not saying it needs an analysis but its been written up on why MR failed.

eg. http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/ni...o-run-failure/
SinCityAssassin
(03-21-2017, 09:59 AM)

They could have made it $1 and still made 50 million dollars and built in some sort of coin economy that you don't have to use, but you can opt to. Like smurfs etc. The game itself with the red coins for multiplayer is easily tweaked for it.

I'll play devil's advocate for this part and say that an all-in-one price might have been Nintendo's way of protecting kids against that sort of microtransaction business in the first place. Everything you see within Super Mario Run SCREAMS potential micro transaction abuse. The use of coins are shop currency, Toad Rally tickets to challenge other user scores, the concept of daily awards for logging in every day. It's all in there, but you don't get any attempt to buy more into it.

It probably wasn't a good business decision, but with an IP as general and as known as Mario, it might have panned out with that intent.
NewGame
(03-21-2017, 10:10 AM)
It's going to be the same on Android right? Someone will make a spoof server authentication app right or is that some sort of piracy?
krumble
(03-21-2017, 10:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Cyanity

You can't play Mario Run offline? That's awful if so.

Welcome to December 2016...
Ninja Dom
(03-21-2017, 10:18 AM)
Anti-piracy measure.

All three of Nintendo's mobile games require an Internet connection to play.

Miitomo, Super Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes.
Tenrius
(03-21-2017, 10:21 AM)
I'm pretty sure the always online requirement is because they use an analytics system, recording your every step. Every F2P game on the market does this.

And they do need this data —to properly tell how, why and when people make the decision to buy the game. I think it's especially important in this game since the pricing model is highly experimental.
red731
(03-21-2017, 10:22 AM)

So did android users just basically ignore Mario Run for the last 4 months without knowing this was a thing or...?

Super Mario Run Android release date has been confirmed for Thursday, March 23, according to an official Nintendo announcement
Ninja Dom
(03-21-2017, 10:28 AM)

Im not saying it needs an analysis but its been written up on why MR failed.

eg. http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/ni...o-run-failure/

I wouldn't say it failed. 5% paid for the full game out of 78 million downloads. Android version still to come.

Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...head-of-switch

Nintendo Financial report here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170131e.pdf
DeaconKnowledge
(03-21-2017, 10:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Griss

Yet another reason mobile gaming is bullshit. I was just on an airplane and had the same experience with multiple mobile games. It's the exact time you'd want to play them, but no can do.

What's worse is this bizarre geolocation shit - something that I don't even understand how it works. I have two sim cards - one for Europe and one for the Caribbean. Roaming is too pricey for someone who spends a lot of time in both regions to do it any other way.

So I can buy or play games on one sim, but replace the sim and I can no longer play the game. Why the hell is this the case? So I've currently lost access to Fire Emblem heroes despite it being safely installed on my phone, and attached to my Nintendo Network account, all because I've switched out a sim.

I'm not even mentioning horrific battery life, performance issues, interruptions from other apps / messages etc.

Add it all up and it's such a shit platform to play games on and not worth the time when you could just listen to a podcast and play games on a proper device later on.

Buy a Dual Sim phone.
iswasdoes
(03-21-2017, 10:40 AM)

I think Nintendo know this. They always said they weren't going the microtransaction route because its a shitty experience for players and cheapens the mario brand

They might have made more money off mario run, but how would it impact the sale of e.g. new super mario brothers switch when people think 'meh, i can get mario for free on my phone?'