• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Ripenen
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:10 PM)
Just started playing and I'm really enjoying it so far. Love how challenging the encounters are and how fun it is to try different tactics.

Am I screwing myself by not paying much attention to loot drops and inventory? I got to the point where my inventory of modifications is full so I just skip the ones that drop. I haven't seen an easy way to identify if what's on the ground is better than what I already have.
TsuWave
(03-20-2017, 09:10 PM)
TsuWave's Avatar
hopefully they'll have something to show us at E3. just thinking about dlc possibilities getting me all excited
Venture
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:11 PM)
Venture's Avatar

Originally Posted by stan_marsh

Just finished Maker's End, damn good story so far.

Me too. I loved the back and forth between Aloy and Silence. She doesn't take crap from anybody.

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

Long Legs needs to be in the next patch.

I really want a Lancehorn or Grazer.

MegaSackman
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:11 PM)
MegaSackman's Avatar

Originally Posted by B.O.O.M

You guys weren't kidding about the Jim threads..whew, the butthurt is real.

Anyways I just want to ride a ravager

Ah Ravager... ? Oh yeah... I can imagine that.

DMONKUMA
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:12 PM)
DMONKUMA's Avatar

Originally Posted by TsuWave

hopefully they'll have something to show us at E3. just thinking about dlc possibilities getting me all excited

PSX is more likely.
Twilight Princess
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:13 PM)
Twilight Princess's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wollan

For what exactly? Patches are ~250MB. Game in total is ~45GB.

Originally Posted by RootCause

😮Did you buy digital?

Disc, I inserted the disc and it went straight to download. Now I'm back at the ps4 and things are installing.
JonnyKong
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:13 PM)
JonnyKong's Avatar
I think maybe it was the execution that didn't click with me, it's hard to say. I'm making it sound like I didn't like the game which is a lie, I have enjoyed myself, but playing it has always left me feel a bit cold for some reason. The Eurogamer review is pretty much spot on for how I feel,

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ro-dawn-review

I realise Zelda does use some ideas from other games, but I personally don't think they're as blatantly in your face stolen ideas from other games like they are here in Horizon. But anyway, I really don't want to be that person comparing the two games because they're both completely different at the end of the day.
WhiskerFrisker
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:14 PM)
WhiskerFrisker's Avatar

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

I kind of wish we got to see the bigger robots hunting the smaller ones. Imagine seeing a Stormbird come from out of nowhere and pluck a Grazer or Strider off the ground and a Thunderjaw attacking a Long Leg.

That would only make sense if they were corrupted since the story gives a reason for the ambivalence of the machine with each other.
TsuWave
(03-20-2017, 09:15 PM)
TsuWave's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zombie James

Anyone else disappointed by [equipment] the Shield Weaver Armour? It looked so badass just standing there in that room but then you get it and... it looks nothing like it. It took me a second to realize I even had it in my inventory because I was expecting that cool looking armour.

when you get it Aloy says something like "let's see what we can do with this" and then you hear sound effects of her sewing it. also, if you look at most of the armor in the game, you can see how the tribes used machine parts and stuff for their looks. the shield weaver armor that Aloy wears fits thematically with the game rather than having that super space suit looking outfit that would stick out like crazy
JadedWriter
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:16 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhiskerFrisker

That would only make sense if they were corrupted since the story gives a reason for the ambivalence of the machine with each other.

I believe it's because everything non corrupted is GAIA controlled right?
HStallion
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:18 PM)
HStallion's Avatar

Originally Posted by JonnyKong

I think maybe it was the execution that didn't click with me, it's hard to say. I'm making it sound like I didn't like the game which is a lie, I have enjoyed myself, but playing it has always left me feel a bit cold for some reason. The Eurogamer review is pretty much spot on for how I feel,

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ro-dawn-review

I realise Zelda does use some ideas from other games, but I personally don't think they're as blatantly in your face stolen ideas from other games like they are here in Horizon. But anyway, I really don't want to be that person comparing the two games because they're both completely different at the end of the day.

Most games are like this though, its not even Horizon and Zelda. The last totally original gameplay system I can think of was the Nemesis System in Shadow of Mordor and its not like that absolved that game of many of its issues. Originality is great but its hardly required to make something good and is no guarantee something will turn out good either.
Newboi
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:19 PM)
Newboi's Avatar
So I beat all 4 Cauldrons and finished the Hunters Lodge storyline. The Redmaw fight was pretty Epic! I was disappointed that you don't really get anything though. I was expecting a cool new Very Rare SharpShooter Bow, or a new Very Rare armor.

I'm trying to decide if I want to continue doing other sidequests. It doesn't see like you'll get anything really cool for finding all the cups and metal flowers.
FlutterPuffs
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:19 PM)
FlutterPuffs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Venture

Me too. I loved the back and forth between Aloy and Silence. She doesn't take crap from anybody.

I really want a Lancehorn or Grazer.

That picture reminds me why I really dont mind Aloy doesn't have a romance option in the game. She reminds me of a Hayao Miyazaki female protagonist a lot.
fastmower
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:20 PM)
fastmower's Avatar

Originally Posted by DMONKUMA

PSX is more likely.

PSX is too far away.
HStallion
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:20 PM)
HStallion's Avatar

Originally Posted by Newboi

So I beat all 4 Cauldrons and finished the Hunters Lodge storyline. The Redmaw fight was pretty Epic! I was disappointed that you don't really get anything though. I was expecting a cool new Very Rare SharpShooter Bow, or a new Very Rare armor.

I'm trying to decide if I want to continue doing other sidequests. It doesn't see like you'll get anything really cool for finding all the cups and metal flowers.

There aren't a ton of loot rewards for quests outside of getting boxes full of stuff. Most of the later quests are just good on their own for the characters, story or gameplay ideas. I really enjoyed the prison break side quest just for the Oseram guy who booby traps an entire ravine.
FlutterPuffs
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:21 PM)
FlutterPuffs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zombie James

Anyone else disappointed by [equipment] the Shield Weaver Armour? It looked so badass just standing there in that room but then you get it and... it looks nothing like it. It took me a second to realize I even had it in my inventory because I was expecting that cool looking armour.

Yes, I was hoping for a Crysis/Metal Gear esque suit myself.
Twilight Princess
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:22 PM)
Twilight Princess's Avatar
HOLY FUCKING SHIT, THIS GAME LOOKS SO GOOD.
is my fake dad going to die? ;.; i already like him.
MegaSackman
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:23 PM)
MegaSackman's Avatar

Originally Posted by JonnyKong

I think maybe it was the execution that didn't click with me, it's hard to say. I'm making it sound like I didn't like the game which is a lie, I have enjoyed myself, but playing it has always left me feel a bit cold for some reason. The Eurogamer review is pretty much spot on for how I feel,

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ro-dawn-review

I realise Zelda does use some ideas from other games, but I personally don't think they're as blatantly in your face stolen ideas from other games like they are here in Horizon. But anyway, I really don't want to be that person comparing the two games because they're both completely different at the end of the day.

I don't like that review that much, the person playing seemed too in love with The Witcher III in my opinion and Horizon is different in some aspects, not as complex in some and more fun in others. I found the combat in Horizon pretty unique tho.
The story is pretty interesting too, must be the best open world game story I've ever played but I'm ok questioning the tools used for storytelling.
Steve.1981
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:25 PM)
Steve.1981's Avatar

Originally Posted by JonnyKong

...blatantly in your face stolen ideas from other games...

That's twice you've brought this up. I'm curious, what are you talking about? What ideas were stolen and where were they stolen from?
Midas
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Wollan

:D

So, which is the bow to get? I only used the one you get at the start...
LiK
(03-20-2017, 09:29 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by Midas

:D

So, which is the bow to get? I only used the one you get at the start...

Purple ones which have more arrow types and get the ones with arrow types you like. Gotta be versatile and it's fun.
xxRONN1Nxx
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:33 PM)
xxRONN1Nxx's Avatar
I can't get enough of this game. Finished first cauldron and just getting lost in side missions. I'm not even a open world fan but dam this game can be so complex it's great.
The world is huge but on foot it's so immersive it doesn't take long on foot cause I'm so engrossed in all the things around me.

Is it confirmed where on earth this game is taking place?
FlutterPuffs
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:34 PM)
FlutterPuffs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Steve.1981

That's twice you've brought this up. I'm curious, what are you talking about? What ideas were stolen and where were they stolen from?

Well... Horizon did, and it's not really a bad thing.

It's bad if it was badly implemented, but wasn't. Even the tracking system from Witcher 3 was improved letting you run or fight without needing to toggle the Focus along the way.

Hell, my only peeve with the tracking was that there's no option to disable the stupid tutorial every time I do it.
Exquisik
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:34 PM)
Exquisik's Avatar

Originally Posted by FlutterPuffs

That picture reminds me why I really dont mind Aloy doesn't have a romance option in the game. She reminds me of a Hayao Miyazaki female protagonist a lot.

John Gonzalez, writer for HZD, actually got the inspiration for Aloy from Studio Ghibli films (most possibly Princess Mononoke). And you can definitely tell if you're a fan of Studio Ghibli films.

http://www.econotimes.com/Horizon-Ze...Heroine-223765
LiK
(03-20-2017, 09:34 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by xxRONN1Nxx

I can't get enough of this game. Finished first cauldron and just getting lost in side missions. I'm not even a open world fan but dam this game can be so complex it's great.
The world is huge but on foot it's so immersive it doesn't take long on foot cause I'm so engrossed in all the things around me.

Is it confirmed where on earth this game is taking place?

Yes, you can find the answers if you look for it. Trying to be spoiler free.
MegaSackman
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:36 PM)
MegaSackman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Exquisik

John Gonzalez, writer for HZD, actually got the inspiration for Aloy from Studio Ghibli films (most possibly Princess Mononoke). And you can definitely tell if you're a fan of Studio Ghibli films.

http://www.econotimes.com/Horizon-Ze...Heroine-223765

He mentioned Nausicaa and Mononoke in an Interview with Gameinformer
Exquisik
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:36 PM)
Exquisik's Avatar

Originally Posted by xxRONN1Nxx

Is it confirmed where on earth this game is taking place?

Look for vantage points, it will give you glimpse of the real world locations.

Originally Posted by MegaSackman

He mentioned Nausicaa and Mononoke in an Interview with Gameinformer

Wow. I haven't watch that video yet. Thank you!
KZObsessed
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:38 PM)
KZObsessed's Avatar
Listening to the soundtrack on Spotify right now and it's godly.

Joris de Man.
FlutterPuffs
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:38 PM)
FlutterPuffs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Exquisik

John Gonzalez, writer for HZD, actually got the inspiration for Aloy from Studio Ghibli films (most possibly Princess Mononoke). And you can definitely tell if you're a fan of Studio Ghibli films.

http://www.econotimes.com/Horizon-Ze...Heroine-223765

Originally Posted by MegaSackman

He mentioned Nausicaa and Mononoke in an Interview with Gameinformer

Ah, that figures!

I used both as reference in the female agency thread to defend Aloy not having a romance option lol. It's why I really didnt mind that Aloy's romance was limited to just flirting in the game.
xxRONN1Nxx
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:39 PM)
xxRONN1Nxx's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiK

Yes, you can find the answers if you look for it. Trying to be spoiler free.

Cool thanks I'll keep better eye for that. I know a friend was over and I was in the ring of metal and we were trying to see if we could figure where it was or figure out the ruined buildings
LiK
(03-20-2017, 09:40 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by xxRONN1Nxx

Cool thanks I'll keep better eye for that. I know a friend was over and I was in the ring of metal and we were trying to see if we could figure where it was or figure out the ruined buildings

You can do that! One Gaffer figured it out from the area alone cuz he lives there.
MegaSackman
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:41 PM)
MegaSackman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Exquisik

Look for vantage points, it will give you glimpse of the real world locations.



Wow. I haven't watch that video yet. Thank you!

Originally Posted by FlutterPuffs

Ah, that figures!

I used both as reference in the female agency thread to defend Aloy not having a romance option lol. It's why I really didnt mind that Aloy's romance was limited to just flirting in the game.

Watch it! is a really good and interesting interview (pretty long too) considering the game is out now.
Tyaren
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:42 PM)
Tyaren's Avatar
I asked this before, but I got no answer:
There is no way to reach the beautiful place on top of the mountain of the intro and title screen in the game, right?
xxRONN1Nxx
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:48 PM)
xxRONN1Nxx's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiK

You can do that! One Gaffer figured it out from the area alone cuz he lives there.

That's so cool
FlutterPuffs
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:49 PM)
FlutterPuffs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tyaren

I asked this before, but I got no answer:
There is no way to reach the beautiful place on top of the mountain of the intro and title screen in the game, right?

I honestly haven't tried, sorry!

Will do so after I come back from my trip though.
JonnyKong
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:50 PM)
JonnyKong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Steve.1981

That's twice you've brought this up. I'm curious, what are you talking about? What ideas were stolen and where were they stolen from?

Taking over bandit camps - Far Cry
Grabbing plants n stuff off the ground for crafting - Far Cry
Following tracks on the floor to find people - Witcher 3
Using the focus to investigate an area - Witcher 3
Climbing around scenery via rock faces or zip lining - Tomb Raider and Uncharted
Using a bow and arrow to kill wildlife for resources - Tomb Raider
Climbing a tower to unlock the map (albeit a moving one) - Far Cry
Throwing rocks to distract people and enemies so you can use stealth on them - Far Cry

Obviously what this game has excelled at are the robotic animals and the exciting encounters with them, having to use specific arrrow types on specific areas of their body is pretty damn cool, and can create some very intense fights, but for me personally I felt these truly exciting moments were far and far between, and the novelty of the combat has now started to wear thin as I get towards the end. I wish I could feel the same level of love for the game that everyone in this thread has for it, but it's just not there. I don't know what else I can say. I'm glad I played it though. I'm glad I got to experience taking down a thunderjaw and others.
SG-17
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:54 PM)
SG-17's Avatar
Literally everything but the towers is a convention common in a multitude of games and frankly just a part of 8th gen games. The towers aren't even fully accurate as they aren't required to unlock the map.
Domcorleone
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:54 PM)
Domcorleone's Avatar

Originally Posted by JonnyKong

Taking over bandit camps - Far Cry
Grabbing plants n stuff off the ground for crafting - Far Cry
Following tracks on the floor to find people - Witcher 3
Using the focus to investigate an area - Witcher 3
Climbing around scenery via rock faces or zip lining - Tomb Raider and Uncharted
Using a bow and arrow to kill wildlife for resources - Tomb Raider
Climbing a tower to unlock the map (albeit a moving one) - Far Cry
Throwing rocks to distract people and enemies so you can use stealth on them - Far Cry

Obviously what this game has excelled at are the robotic animals and the exciting encounters with them, having to use specific arrrow types on specific areas of their body is pretty damn cool, and can create some very intense fights, but for me personally I felt these truly exciting moments were far and far between, and the novelty of the combat has now started to wear thin as I get towards the end. I wish I could feel the same level of love for the game that everyone in this thread has for it, but it's just not there. I don't know what else I can say. I'm glad I played it though. I'm glad I got to experience taking down a thunderjaw and others.

Zelda does alot of the same things. I understand what you are saying to an extent but I feel both Zelda and Horizon execute them in their own way.

Also the bow and arrow thing is kind of silly, it makes sense in the world of Horizon alot more than it did in TR.
Domcorleone
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:56 PM)
Domcorleone's Avatar
The most blatant (and worst) Far Cry thing in the game is the bandit camps. They are done poorly and are very reminiscent of Far Cry.

Witcher 3 had you picking stuff off the ground every second and no one screamed "FAR CRY!!!"
Steve.1981
Member
(03-20-2017, 09:59 PM)
Steve.1981's Avatar

Originally Posted by FlutterPuffs

Well... Horizon did, and it's not really a bad thing.

It's bad if it was badly implemented, but wasn't. Even the tracking system from Witcher 3 was improved letting you run or fight without needing to toggle the Focus along the way.

Hell, my only peeve with the tracking was that there's no option to disable the stupid tutorial every time I do it.

Oh, I'm being dense, I wasn't thinking along those lines at all. We're talking systems that have similar implementations in other games?

Using the Focus to look for tracks doesn't immediately strike me as an idea that I'd describe as blatantly stolen from another game. It's an evolution of something that's been used multiple times in the past. I've played loads of games with similar systems. Just in the last couple of years I can think of Dishonoured, Deus Ex, The Witcher 3 or Far Cry: Primal as examples. All those games have some kind of magic X-ray vision system done in their own way, as does Horizon.

I thought the poster I quoted was talking about Guerilla ripping off specific ideas, and it threw me a bit. No worries.
LiK
(03-20-2017, 10:00 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by Domcorleone

The most blatant (and worst) Far Cry thing in the game is the bandit camps. They are done poorly and are very reminiscent of Far Cry.

Witcher 3 had you picking stuff off the ground every second and no one screamed "FAR CRY!!!"

Yea, the problem with humans is once someone is alerted, the entire freakin camp is after you. It's pretty insane.
Newboi
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:09 PM)
Newboi's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiK

Yea, the problem with humans is once someone is alerted, the entire freakin camp is after you. It's pretty insane.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but I honestly think the humans use the same exact AI patterns as the animals. They react, communicate, and become alerted in nearly the same fashion.
HStallion
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:10 PM)
HStallion's Avatar

Originally Posted by JonnyKong

Taking over bandit camps - Far Cry
Grabbing plants n stuff off the ground for crafting - Far Cry
Following tracks on the floor to find people - Witcher 3
Using the focus to investigate an area - Witcher 3
Climbing around scenery via rock faces or zip lining - Tomb Raider and Uncharted
Using a bow and arrow to kill wildlife for resources - Tomb Raider
Climbing a tower to unlock the map (albeit a moving one) - Far Cry
Throwing rocks to distract people and enemies so you can use stealth on them - Far Cry

Obviously what this game has excelled at are the robotic animals and the exciting encounters with them, having to use specific arrrow types on specific areas of their body is pretty damn cool, and can create some very intense fights, but for me personally I felt these truly exciting moments were far and far between, and the novelty of the combat has now started to wear thin as I get towards the end. I wish I could feel the same level of love for the game that everyone in this thread has for it, but it's just not there. I don't know what else I can say. I'm glad I played it though. I'm glad I got to experience taking down a thunderjaw and others.

Just want to point out that not one of these ideas is unique to Far Cry or even this generation. The fog of War covering a map and slowly disappearing as you explored it was around in games like Warcraft 1.

Edit: this isn't a knock against the Far Cry games either but most stating the reality that most games aren't highly original and that isn't a big deal if what it does, it does well.
Last edited by HStallion; 03-20-2017 at 10:19 PM.
broony
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:16 PM)
broony's Avatar
Currently watching the credits at the end of the game. I have an x to skip prompt. Am I going to miss stuff?
Steve.1981
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:17 PM)
Steve.1981's Avatar

Originally Posted by JonnyKong

Taking over bandit camps - Far Cry
Grabbing plants n stuff off the ground for crafting - Far Cry
Following tracks on the floor to find people - Witcher 3
Using the focus to investigate an area - Witcher 3
Climbing around scenery via rock faces or zip lining - Tomb Raider and Uncharted
Using a bow and arrow to kill wildlife for resources - Tomb Raider
Climbing a tower to unlock the map (albeit a moving one) - Far Cry
Throwing rocks to distract people and enemies so you can use stealth on them - Far Cry

Well I mean... Lets just say I think it's a stretch to describe this stuff as blatant theft and be done.

That's a bit harsh, imo.
LiK
(03-20-2017, 10:17 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by broony

Currently watching the credits at the end of the game. I have an x to skip prompt. Am I going to miss stuff?

Nope. I skipped the wall of text and still saw everything.

I knew I was wasting them when it was telling me localization for other languages.
broony
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:18 PM)
broony's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiK

Nope. I skipped the wall of text and still saw everything.

Thank you!
MegaSackman
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:20 PM)
MegaSackman's Avatar
Blatant thievery was a bit much but I think what he's doing (JonnyKong) is trying to understand why the game didn't like it as much as to other people and he got to those conclusions.
firelogic
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:21 PM)
firelogic's Avatar
I like how they gave a credit to Mark Cerny as, "Secret Agent Mark Cerny"
Jawbreaker
Member
(03-20-2017, 10:21 PM)
Jawbreaker's Avatar
This is one of the few games where I actively ignore fast travel — even 60 hours in — because traversing the world on foot is such a joy. Heck, just picking random fights with machines doesn't get old.

Thread Tools