• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ActWan
(03-20-2017, 03:14 PM)
Blue Link.
Since all the main MGS games (1-V) are my top 5 (with the order being 4, 2, 3, 1, V), I'll list the 5 that comes after them, for diversity's sake.
Silent Hill 2
Deadly Premonition
Demon's Souls
Devil May Cry 3
Max Payne
BouncyFrag
(03-20-2017, 03:17 PM)
Blue all over the place for me. Playing Oblivion after being away from gaming since the 16-bit era was amazing. I had never played any type of stealth game and snuck my way through every cave and house I could find to break into. Exploring Morrowind, after restarting it multiple times and finally figuring out the travel systems in the game is probably my best gaming experience.
My fave games:
Elder Scrolls
Mass Effect series
Dark Souls
Ori and the Blind Forest
Kain-Nosgoth
(03-20-2017, 03:18 PM)
i'm not close to any of this... Maybe blue i guess

TO me the rewards are the puzzle and fight themselves! Solving a hard puzzle with logic and thinking by yourself, overcoming a challenging boss withtout the help of other players or simply exploring every place in the world is the most satisfying!

Getting cool items or rewards by doing so is a bonus!

That's why one of my favorite game of all time is La-Mulana, the perfect mix of fighting and puzzle with lots of exploring!

Also :

Megaman serie (3 and X especially)
Souls serie
Monkey Island
Link's awakening
Ys serie
Megaten Serie (SMT, Persona, DDS, etc...)

way to hard for me to make a Top 5, i love too many games equally
Last edited by Kain-Nosgoth; 03-20-2017 at 03:35 PM.
brawly
(03-20-2017, 03:18 PM)
Green link with a an old red outfit in the closet.

I used to be super competitive/focused on multiplayer games (360 era), but in the second half of the last generation I've become more invested in singleplayer games.

Dark Souls
Persona 4 Golden
Fire Emblem Awakening
Resident Evil 4
Bloodborne
13ruce
(03-20-2017, 03:19 PM)
Green before Breath of the Wild, blue now.
Always played through main game as fast as possible thanks to BotW not anymore.

I love adveturing/exploring now thanks to that game.
Last edited by 13ruce; 03-20-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Soph
(03-20-2017, 03:19 PM)
Blue link with a Green belt and a Red hat,
Incendiary
(03-20-2017, 03:26 PM)
Like most of the rest of GAF I'm definitely a Blue Link, although it's probably more 75% Blue, 25% Green. I love exploring and getting into every nook and cranny, as well as immersing myself in the world and becoming a part of an excellent story. But I also love co-op and recommending games to friends and getting them to enjoy the same games I do. I stream and make videos with my friends to spread the good word. But I definitely rarely go for Platinums - only on games I really enjoy the world of - and am not a fan of the loot grind.

Top 5 games:
Chrono Trigger
Mega Man 3
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Bioshock Infinite
XCOM 2

Chrono Trigger is my GOAT - I replay it regularly. Perfect RPG for me. The new XCOMs are probably my favorite modern series.
Snakeyes
(03-20-2017, 03:29 PM)
Red and Blue. Gameplay is king, but presentation is pretty important as well.
jacks81x
(03-20-2017, 03:31 PM)
80% Blue / 20% Purple

Top 5:

Xenogears
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy Tactics
SimCity 2000
Persona 4 Golden
Nodnol
(03-20-2017, 03:32 PM)
More Blue than anything else, and a dash of Red and Purple...Maybe even a bit of Green. I'm very varied in a lot of my tastes to be fair; music, film, games. It all depends on my mood. I can lose myself in a sprawling single player narrative, oblivious to the outside world, and then the next minute spend all night chatting shit with my mates on FIFA, stomping noobs on COD or bragging about some shiny new cape I happened across on something like Destiny. I do tend to get carried away though, diving into a game head first and consuming it with a feverish hunger. Despite playing a lot of casual games with friends, I can find myself hunting hourlessly just to clear off side quests or discovering every inch of map. In a recent replay of Mass Effect 2 (probably my 6th or 7th run), I still can't bring myself to enter the Omega 4 Relat until I've scanned EVERY planet and every system is at 100%.

I don't think I've ever done a list of my favourite games...ever. In no particular order:

Ocarina of Time
Half-Life
Mass Effect (as a franchise)
Resident Evil Remake
Metroid Prime

There's loads I'm probably missing.

Most of those were hightlights of the gaming rollercoaster that has led to this point. Ocarina of Time, in particular, defined my gaming youth. Bookmarks that aren't necessarily the best moment, but certainly some of the most eye-opening or memorable experiences. It really is a wonderful medium when you look back and reminisce.
Comet
(03-20-2017, 03:33 PM)
I'm a mix of Red and Blue for sure. I used to do tons of competitive multiplayer games and always strive to climb the leader boards in things like WarCraft 3, StarCraft, Halo 3, Counter Strike, Guitar Hero, etc. But I also take pride in beating tough hardcore games. Which leads to my other persona of always enjoying a game for its story and atmosphere. If it can grip me on an emotional level I will enjoy the hell out of that game regardless of competitiveness required (or not required) to play through it. Examples of this would be Zelda Breath of the Wild, The Last of Us, Final Fantasy 7.
Taliban Stan
(03-20-2017, 03:34 PM)
Mostly green I guess.

I care a lot of about being good at the part of games that I really like and don't really care about the rest. I don't really get into competitive multiplayer all that much unless it's a fighting game. I do watch e-sports. I think story matters as much as the game wants it to matter, I like Tetris but I don't play it for the gripping drama. I do play Beyond, Heavy Rain, and Walking Dead pretty much exclusively for the gripping drama though.

Top 5 Games Of All-Time... with some cheating

I hate this as I always struggle between games that I really don't want to replay but I had an amazing time with and games that maybe I had good time with and do want to replay a little bit.

* KOTOR 1 & 2
* Civilization 4
* Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
* Streets of Rage (1 & 3)
* Mass Effect (1-3)

Honorable mentions
* Resident Evil 5: Mercenaries Mode
* Sonic 3 (just plain)
* Super Mario World 2
* StarFox (SNES) and StarFox 64
* Bayonetta
Last edited by Taliban Stan; 03-20-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Soul of the Beast
Banned
(03-20-2017, 03:35 PM)
I am from Asia so I am the yellow Link.

Joking of course.

I would say I'm more of a mix between Blue and Purple. To me there's nothing more important than gameplay, level design, world building, art style, atmosphere, charm, soundtrack and character.
For me, Immersion > Gameplay > Story.

Here's my Top 5 favorite games of all time in no particular order:

F.E.A.R. (2005)
Biohazard 4 / Resident Evil 4 (2005)
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (2010)
Dark Souls (2011)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)

2017 is a huge surprise for me, I didn't expect to love gaming this much again. Nowadays I only play games because...because I'm still a gamer I guess, video game these days are just flat and uninteresting in my opinion, none of them are unique masterpieces. At the very best, they are just ''good''. (Bloodborne, Witcher 3 etc.)

Keep in mind though that I am extremely critical when it comes to video games.
Last edited by Soul of the Beast; 03-20-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Forearm Star
(03-20-2017, 03:39 PM)
Like most of you, Blue Link here!

I've listened to all of my friend describe how far along they are in BotW and I'm just over here trying to find all the shrines and towers.
PSFan
(03-20-2017, 03:45 PM)
I'd say I'm Blue Link that also focuses on saving Zelda.
SolVanderlyn
Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
(03-20-2017, 04:13 PM)
Interesting how Purple is the most rare answer so far, and nobody has claimed it as their primary color.

Of course none of these will fit anyone 1:1 as these types of sorting experiments are always a bit reductive by nature, but it's interesting to see which one people consider to be the *best* fit.

Originally Posted by Kain-Nosgoth

i'm not close to any of this... Maybe blue i guess

TO me the rewards are the puzzle and fight themselves! Solving a hard puzzle with logic and thinking by yourself, overcoming a challenging boss withtout the help of other players or simply exploring every place in the world is the most satisfying!

Getting cool items or rewards by doing so is a bonus!

That's why one of my favorite game of all time is La-Mulana, the perfect mix of fighting and puzzle with lots of exploring!

Also :

Megaman serie (3 and X especially)
Souls serie
Monkey Island
Link's awakening
Ys serie
Megaten Serie (SMT, Persona, DDS, etc...)

way to hard for me to make a Top 5, i love too many games equally

Sounds like you also have some Red in you to me.
Last edited by SolVanderlyn; 03-20-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Nightbird
(03-20-2017, 10:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Kneefoil

I'm definitely a Blue Link in this case. For example, I don't play Zelda games for the dungeons, but rather for the world and the memorable characters. Hence why A Link to the Past is nowhere near being my favourite Zelda game in spite of the praise it gets from a lot of the fans - many of which seem to think that the dungeons are the meat of TLoZ games.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  2. Skies of Arcadia: Legends
  3. The World Ends With You
  4. Metal Gear Solid 3
  5. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Originally Posted by pelicansurf

Definitely blue with a splash of red. I'll play any type of genre if it's a good experience. I also want to crush all my friends if we're playing it competitively.

Examples of games I love, recent and not:

Persona 4
Overwatch
Zelda Majora's Mask
Nioh
Ori and the Blind Forest

So you're saying i should play Majoras Mask then...
Lashley
Banned
(03-20-2017, 10:23 PM)
Blue with a dash of purple
Red Liquorice
needs to check himself
(03-20-2017, 10:26 PM)
Blue/purple.

Explore every nook and cranny, as long as there's loot-whoring to be done.
Kill3r7
(03-20-2017, 10:27 PM)
Purple/Green with a touch of Red and Blue.

FWIW, I have not been a PC gamer in over a decade but I love loot based games played with friends. Co-Op and MP games are my favorites, not to say that I don't enjoy single player games.
Last edited by Kill3r7; 03-20-2017 at 10:33 PM.
BlueBadger
(03-20-2017, 10:29 PM)
It depends on what I'm playing. But for the most part, I really do identify MOSTLY as a Purple Link, with some Blue in there! I love getting new gear, glamours, headgear, mounts etc. Basically anything flashy that customizes my character. I'm playing FFXIV right now and that's definitely my biggest thing. Weapons that glow, pretty glamours and stuff.. But at the same time, I'm always so invested and submerged in a great storyline.

In terms of my top 5 games of all time:
1) Ace Attorney (the whole series, tbh)
2) Final Fantasy VIII
3) Digimon Cyber Sleuth
4) Ragnarok Online
5) Final Fantasy XIV

Can I give honorable mentions to Radiant Historia, Ocarina of Time, Persona 4 Golden, and DanganRonpa? :S
Last edited by BlueBadger; 03-20-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Leondexter
(03-20-2017, 10:31 PM)
None of those fit me.

Green: social - HA. Not a bit.

Blue: story? Don't make me laugh.

Red: trophies? Give me a break.

Purple: buy all the DLC? Not in this lifetime.

Where's the "actually enjoys the game itself" Link? Every single one of these categories is peripheral to the main experience.
Rhomega Beta
(03-20-2017, 10:41 PM)
Blue Link fits me to a T. If there's an explorable map, I do my best to fill it all in. I love lore-heavy games like Mass Effect and WarCraft. I'm always reading new ME Codex entries, and I got the Well Read achievement in WoW. Locations and people mean things to me. I also do own several artbooks, mostly for Mega Man, but I also own Hyrule Historia and this one free artbook I got for Nostalgia. Soundtracks are big for me too, like Donkey Kong Country 2, Undertale, Ys Origin, and Shatter.

Also a bit of Purple. I do compulsively buy DLC, especially if it opens up gameplay options like Civs in Civilization or sidequests in Mass Effect. I own every piece of DLC in Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator.
Lucario
(03-20-2017, 10:48 PM)
Purple/red.

I primarily play video games to feel good, and I love buying extra plastic crap. Once that's burned out I'm 100% competitive, glitch exploiting trash.

Even in single player games, I'll try to find movement glitches and see which moves can be cancelled ASAP. I get significantly more satisfaction from exploring my character's options - or discovering unintended options - than I ever would finding collectibles or backtracking through a map.
InsaneFandom
(03-20-2017, 10:49 PM)

Single-player RPGs are my favourites, love dat worldbuilding & talking with NPCs. I can also really get into story-focused games (Telltale stuff, visual novels etc.)
I guess immersion is probably what I value most in a game

My top 5 games is full of variety:
1. Dragon Age Origins
2. Dragon Age Inquisition
3. Mass Effect
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Mass Effect 3
(Dragon Age 2 is no. 6 & the Mass Effect games are in no particular order)
Last edited by InsaneFandom; 03-20-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Bakkus
(03-20-2017, 10:50 PM)
Blue with a dash of red because i'm a bit invested in competitive Melee and watch every major tourney.
OrbitalBeard
(03-20-2017, 10:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Exploratory

NeoGAF is generally a blue Link.

Yep. And I'm right there with the rest of them. Though I'm less keen on narrative being a big part of the games I play. Gameplay is far more important.

Really great thread, OP.
Last edited by OrbitalBeard; 03-20-2017 at 10:59 PM.
FunkyDealer
(03-20-2017, 10:59 PM)
I'm definitely a Blue Link. I have to talk to every NPC, investigate every corner and like to just stop and admire the view.

I took me about six hours before I left the Plateu in BOTW, and I still plan on going back.
woopWOOP
(03-20-2017, 11:10 PM)
This is one of those threads that's mainly about whether or not people fully read the first post, right?

I like a little competition between friends, but I'm certainly not hardcore about it.
I enjoy the crafting and loot type games, but I really don't give a dang about fancy graphics.
So I guess I'm mostly a Green Link type of player since I also enjoy socializing, playing simple games and I'm usually done with a game the moment the credits roll.

My top 5 of all time that I just thought up on the spot:
Team Fortress 2
Civilization 4
Super Smash Bros for WiiU
Kirby Super Star
Trip World
Vibed
(03-20-2017, 11:13 PM)
Green is definitely me. I really love cooperative games (despite not being a social person) and prefer simpler games over more complex ones, but enjoy every genre in some capacity. My greatest enjoyment in games comes from, "getting to my end goal" (which half the time is 100%ing it).

When I played Four Swords with friends, I definitely had more fun when we worked well as a team rather than when one guy was throwing us all into pits. Someone doing such disruptive things would definitely sour me. If there's no synergy, I'd rather quit.

There's a bit of blue in me when I make efforts to let the game go at its own pace and take it all in like in BotW, but inevitably I have an urge to reach my next goal rather than freely explore. So in BotW, I'll freely explore for a bit, but if I'm not heading toward a point of interest, I might start getting bored. I imagine once I've beaten most all of the shrines, I'll head to Ganon, and then work my way toward 100% (aside from Koroks). I do enjoy good art or compedium stuff however, but it does tend to be taking that stuff in so I can say I've seen, read, or done everything.

I just like enjoying all a game has to offer and sharing that with friends without getting too bogged down in particulars.

I can say that Red Link is the farthest from me. I find playing for competition's sake immaterial to my enjoyment. I don't strive to be the best, especially because it's endless! Too much pressure.
Last edited by Vibed; 03-20-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Goldboy
(03-20-2017, 11:13 PM)
Blue Link 100%
Wozman23
(03-20-2017, 11:14 PM)
Primarily Blue (maybe with a hint of Purple) - I identify with playing a wide variety of games, playing them alone, exploring every detail about the game, and view games as an experience. I also enjoy most DLC, am a trophy hunter, and enjoy loot and unlockables. I don't fit the mold because I'm not one to focus on story very often and I'd almost always rather play alone.

Top 10 (I can't narrow it down because it's hard to compare such a wide variety):
Ratchet & Clank
The Last of Us
Rock Band
Thumper
Velocity 2X
Rayman Origins
Sound Shapes
Alan Wake
Dead Space
petran79
(03-20-2017, 11:22 PM)
Purple Link, second group

Because everything looks so much better on a Gsync monitor.

Dont care about competitive gaming or story (Persona 4 drained me out).
It is the experience that counts. Experimenting with settings, controllers and emulators, while never finishing games. Not caring about online, which puts things out of your control.

Favorite games:
Arcade games
SolVanderlyn
Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
(03-23-2017, 12:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Leondexter

None of those fit me.

Green: social - HA. Not a bit.

Blue: story? Don't make me laugh.

Red: trophies? Give me a break.

Purple: buy all the DLC? Not in this lifetime.

Where's the "actually enjoys the game itself" Link? Every single one of these categories is peripheral to the main experience.

I guess you'd be Green. You're there to beat the game.
Dunkley
(03-23-2017, 12:26 PM)
If I enjoy the game, it's a mix of everything depending on what the game does best. Some games I can enjoy for the aesthetics, some for the story, some for the combat. Can't say I really specialize in one area since I am really flexible when it comes to enjoying games.

However, if I don't do that, I'm a Green Link since if a game starts boring me I just rush through it just so it doesn't sit on my backlog. Co-Op gaming is another story tho since regularly I only play games I wanna work together in well that I actually like.

With that said, here's my favorite games are:
  1. Kirby Superstar
  2. Metal Gear Solid 3
  3. Transport Tycoon Deluxe
  4. Dark Souls III
  5. The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Animagne
(03-23-2017, 12:33 PM)
I'm green for singleplayer, usually turning into red for multiplayer. After hours trying to get your random groups to work together, you just sigh, and focus on getting the job done to the best of your own abilities.
Creepy
(03-23-2017, 12:40 PM)
I'm a blue link, I'm not social or competitive at all, and while it's nice to get new treasures I don't fixate on it.

I'm all about exploration and taking it all in.
I'm the guy who reads every log, uncovers all the secrets, walks down every obvious dead end, collects every type of food, watches the clouds move, listens to the waterfalls.

I can make a 12 hour game last weeks.
CaptainLoveline
(03-23-2017, 01:10 PM)
Depends on the kind of game really, if it's single player I'm Blue but if it's multiplayer I'm Red, with a hint of Green for both. I like me some competitive multiplayer, but I like single-player games that let me explore and experience a good story more.

In no particular order, I'd say my top 5 games are Rainbow 6 Siege, Resident Evil (Remake), Nier Automata, Persona 4 Golden and Zelda Twilight Princess.
quesalupa
(03-23-2017, 01:12 PM)
Mix of green and blue.
Zvonimir Boban
(03-23-2017, 01:16 PM)
Green/Red mostly, love playing co-op multiplayer game modes like FIFA Clubs or NHL EASHL but I definitely want to win those and we do end up getting pissed off with each other after a few losses.

I'm a blue if I'm playing a single player game, although open world bloat makes that difficult nowadays.

Top 5 games of all time is a tough one, been playing games since the 80's so there is no way I could even reduce it down to 10 or 15.
BitStyle
(03-23-2017, 01:19 PM)
I'd say I'm mainly green link with a mix of blue. Co-op (especially local) is something that will usually sell me on any game, as I love to enjoy sharing my gaming experiences with family members and friends. On the other hand, I do enjoy well crafted single player RPGs and strategy games. Not that big of an MMO player either (aside from FF14)
openrob
(03-23-2017, 01:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Exploratory

NeoGAF is generally a blue Link.

I don't think so, it's just that the big adventurous games are the ones that spawn a lot of discussion.

Also people that are 'blue links' are the type to Make a thread praising music, or the story, where i doubt many Red links write create a thread to talk about the amazing match they just had.
Thud
(03-23-2017, 02:07 PM)
Red and Blue. Overcoming obstacles that adds to the experience is good. I don't take pleasure in beating others, I like the try tho.

Exploring a lot is what I love to do in games. I'm not a completionist at heart, but I tend to see a bit more than the average gamer.

If I have to chose I guess I'm more Blue than Red.

Some of my favorite game experiences are found in:

Xenoblade Chronicles
Majora's Mask
Demon's Souls
Earthbound
Super Mario 64

Which is a bit different from my top 5 games, but I feel this resembles the feeling of exploring a bit more.
FirLocke
(03-23-2017, 03:57 PM)
Definitely a mix of green and blue, with a hint of red. Enjoy main storylines but I like to go off the beaten path every now and again. Shades of red because I enjoy competition, but not as much as I used to. No purple in me whatsoever, in fact I like to progress RPGs and the like with whatever I have on me at the time #povertyWarrior.

Hard to pick a top 5, but gun to my head (unordered):

Persona 4
Dark Souls
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Kingdom Hearts II