• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Prodigal Son
(03-21-2017, 12:51 AM)
God damn they're gonna have to gut and rethink their flagging system imo. Since people (cunts) are using it to hide stuff they don't like there has to be an effort to rethink how that works. Get on it google, you fucks. You've got a laundry list of problems on YouTube now.
Hellwarden
(03-21-2017, 02:04 AM)
Well I for one feel safe knowing youtube is finally coming down on this filth.
Gattsu25
Formerly Wakune
(03-21-2017, 02:07 AM)
The fuck is going on with Google?

Originally Posted by Hellwarden

This is sad. Google, get your shit together.
Garrett Hawke
(03-21-2017, 02:28 AM)
https://twitter.com/soundlyawake/sta...69270677565440

there isn't a single explicit thing in this video, the dude just has different takes of him saying "i'm gay" with a rainbow hat on.

RESTRICTED
axisofweevils
Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
(03-21-2017, 04:25 AM)
It also happen if you just use the word "gay" in the title. https://twitter.com/Rezulux/status/843851351415312384
Jobbs
Ghostly member
(03-21-2017, 04:54 AM)
Everyone is busy being outraged but it seems like all kinds of inoffensive videos are blocked in restricted mode that have nothing to do with LGBT. Another poster pointed out that some of superbunnyhops videos are blocked in restricted mode. I am a regular viewer of that channel and I can tell you it's just a dude talking about games. I haven't seen the evidence that LGBT content is being targeted, just that a wide variety of inoffensive videos are being filtered in restricted mode.

Am I missing something or is almost everyone else here missing something?
capitalCORN
(03-21-2017, 05:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Jobbs

Everyone is busy being outraged but it seems like all kinds of inoffensive videos are blocked in restricted mode that have nothing to do with LGBT. Another poster pointed out that some of superbunnyhops videos are blocked in restricted mode. I am a regular viewer of that channel and I can tell you it's just a dude talking about games. I haven't seen the evidence that LGBT content is being targeted, just that a wide variety of inoffensive videos are being filtered in restricted mode.

Just a sample.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...mode-1.4032644
Jobbs
Ghostly member
(03-21-2017, 05:09 AM)

Originally Posted by capitalCORN

Just a sample.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...mode-1.4032644

But this doesn't seem to tell me anything. I believe it's true that some LGBT videos wer filtered, but as others have pointed out, a wide variety of mundane content seems to get filtered whether it's about LGBT or not. This just tells me that the filtering needs improvement, not that anyone at YouTube made a decision to restrict LGBT content in the restricted mode.

If I'm missing something let me know, but rather than have a knee jerk reaction I read about it first and I just don't see how LGBT is being specifically targeted, just that tons of stuff gets filtered whether it should be or not.
capitalCORN
(03-21-2017, 05:10 AM)

But this doesn't seem to tell me anything. I believe it's true that some LGBT videos wer filtered, but as others have pointed out, a wide variety of mundane content seems to get filtered whether it's about LGBT or not. This just tells me that the filtering needs improvement, not that anyone at YouTube made a decision to restrict LGBT content in the restricted mode.

If I'm missing something let me know, but rather than have a knee jerk reaction I read about it first and I just don't see how LGBT is being specifically targeted, just that tons of stuff gets filtered whether it should be or not.

It's in the OP. Youtube is filtering content based on maturity for it's restricted mode, but is lumping LGBTQ content as well. That's the rub.
Misha
(03-21-2017, 05:11 AM)

Idk how it compares with lgbt vids vs other vids but the statement in the op comes across as thoughtless. They dont say "hey our system is being exploited and we're sorry your videos got caught up in that" they say "our system is used to limit sensitive and mature issues". Its kinda implying that restricted mode being used as intended and as its specifically a response to the lgbt community it sounds like they're saying those lgbt vids are something that are worth censoring

A more recent tweet did cover that though so at least they're acknowledging it. They also say they're working on it but its kinda vague as to how.
Garrett Hawke
(03-21-2017, 05:35 AM)

Putting "gay" in your video title or description will get your video restricted regardless of the content of the video.

Pretty clear cut.
FloatingDivider
(03-21-2017, 05:59 AM)
What year is this? What universe is this? I don't understand this at all what kind of regressive ass policy is this. Stay winning Youtube.
ZackieChan
(03-21-2017, 06:30 AM)

I'm thinking it's a knee jerk reaction. Obviously there is an algorithm issue.

Originally Posted by Garrett Hawke

Putting "gay" in your video title or description will get your video restricted regardless of the content of the video.

Pretty clear cut.

I'm on mobile now, but can you prove this is true? Do a search in restricted mode for "gay" and show the results that show no videos, please.
Cyanity
(03-21-2017, 06:40 AM)
LGBTQ+ twitter has been on fire over this topic for the past couple of days. Keep on winning, youtube.
Fades
(03-21-2017, 06:44 AM)

Originally Posted by ZackieChan

I'm thinking it's a knee jerk reaction. Obviously there is an algorithm issue.

I'm on mobile now, but can you prove this is true? Do a search in restricted mode for "gay" and show the results that show no videos, please.

There's still plenty, of various types. It's definitely an algorithm issue of some sort. That said, it's one that should have been rectified or at least addressed immediately.

duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(03-21-2017, 06:44 AM)

Originally Posted by FloatingDivider

What year is this? What universe is this? I don't understand this at all what kind of regressive ass policy is this. Stay winning Youtube.

The year the United States has a bigoted Republican government in office led by a hateful anti-LGBT vice president? Youtube is an American company, they're just aligning to what the country voted for...

Now you American liberals know what it is like in conservative parts of the world where any perceived "pro-homosexual" things in entertainment are edited to protect the children from the erosion of "traditional family values".
Cyanity
(03-21-2017, 06:46 AM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

The year the United States has a bigoted Republican government in office led by a hateful anti-LGBT vice president? Youtube is an American company, they're just aligning to what the country voted for...

Now you American liberals know what it is like in conservative parts of the world where any perceived "pro-homosexual" things in entertainment are edited to protect the children from the erosion of "traditional family values".

If this ass-backwards anti-gay censorship comes to our country...ugh. Definitely in the "will riot" bus.
Misha
(03-21-2017, 06:46 AM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

We've known for years unfortunately.
ZackieChan
(03-21-2017, 06:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Fades

There's still plenty, of various types. It's definitely an algorithm issue of some sort. That said, it's one that should have been rectified or at least addressed immediately.

Waiting for that poster to back up their ridiculous and untrue assertion.
Jobbs
Ghostly member
(03-21-2017, 06:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Garrett Hawke

Apparently this isn't true, though.

I mean, he searched for "gay" with restricted mode on and got all kinds of results including thumbnails of gay cartoon characters kissing.

The filtering needs to be improved, but if it's not specifically targeting LGBT videos and is, instead, filtering all kinds of mundane videos (LGBT or otherwise) for no reason or incorrect reasons it doesn't seem very outrage-worthy.
Last edited by Jobbs; 03-21-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Usobuko
(03-21-2017, 07:01 AM)
Is there one where we can filter out white nationalists content?

How about make it the default option for every non-white country since these content creators clearly have huge disdain for them.
What did he mean by this?
(03-21-2017, 07:54 AM)
Suddenly the idea of there being one giant video upload site that everyone uses seems like a bad idea
Greddleok
(03-21-2017, 08:01 AM)
Is this really censorship? Restricted mode is an option, right?
Jobbs
Ghostly member
(03-21-2017, 08:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Greddleok

Is this really censorship? Restricted mode is an option, right?

Yeah, it's an option, and it's one that's affecting all kinds of mundane videos regardless if they're LGBT or not.

As far as I can tell this is outrage over nothing, but don't let me get in the way of the outrage fun
EatinOlives
Harass A Bull?
Report to HR.
(03-21-2017, 08:11 AM)

Yeah, it's an option, and it's one that's affecting all kinds of mundane videos regardless if they're LGBT or not.

As far as I can tell this is outrage over nothing, but don't let me get in the way of the outrage fun

So you're just gonna ignore the posts that specifically detail why it's targeting LGBTQ content.

Ok guy
Jobbs
Ghostly member
(03-21-2017, 08:16 AM)

Originally Posted by EatinOlives

So you're just gonna ignore the posts that specifically detail why it's targeting LGBTQ content.

Ok guy

I think it would be a problem if they were specifically targeting any videos related to LGBT issues for filtering in restricted mode, but what I see is that while restricted mode does filter some mundane and non-explicit LGBT videos, it also restricts many other non-explicit videos that don't pertain to LGBT. Other LGBT videos remain unaffected by restricted mode. In short, some LGBT videos are filtered, some aren't. Some non-LGBT videos are filtered, some aren't.

I haven't seen anything that makes me believe it specifically targets LGBT to filter as opposed to this just being bad filtering in general. If you can show me how it does I'd be happy to concede that I was wrong.
Last edited by Jobbs; 03-21-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Amalthea
let's dance all the way down to Jewish history-town
(03-21-2017, 08:16 AM)
I suspect that nearly all social media platforms are actually entangled a lot more with conservatives and the alt-right than they would ever admit. Sometimes those platforms seem like propaganda tools more than anything, especially Twitter.
Stumpokapow
listen to the mad man
(03-21-2017, 08:21 AM)

I think it would be a problem if they were specifically targeting any videos related to LGBT issues for filtering in restricted mode, but what I see is that while restricted mode does filter some mundane and non-explicit LGBT videos, it also restricts many other non-explicit videos that don't pertain to LGBT. Other LGBT videos remain unaffected by restricted mode.

I haven't seen anything that makes me believe it specifically targets LGBT to filter as opposed to this just being bad filtering in general. If you can show me how it does I'd be happy to concede that I was wrong.

no one thinks they set out to build an anti-gay filter; people think that LBGT content is being differentially affected by this. the issue is the "bad filtering". if you do something that has the effect of harming a group, and they say we are being harmed, the correct response is not "actually it's an accident so you aren't being harmed", it's "oh, sorry, it's an accident, we'll fix it".
EatinOlives
Harass A Bull?
Report to HR.
(03-21-2017, 08:23 AM)

I think it would be a problem if they were specifically targeting any videos related to LGBT issues for filtering in restricted mode, but what I see is that while restricted mode does filter some mundane and non-explicit LGBT videos, it also restricts many other non-explicit videos that don't pertain to LGBT. Other LGBT videos remain unfiltered in restricted mode, too.

The assertion isn't that there's some conspiracy within youtube to eliminate LGBTQ content, it's that it's disproportionately affecting mundane videos about LGBTQ as opposed to, say, JonTron's video wherein he spouts canned white supremacist rhetoric.
Conan-san
(03-21-2017, 08:24 AM)
It's almost as if Youtube is a house of cards.
ZombiePlatypus
(03-21-2017, 08:25 AM)
God Youtube seriously needs a big competitor. ASAP.
Jobbs
Ghostly member
(03-21-2017, 08:26 AM)

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

no one thinks they set out to build an anti-gay filter; people think that LBGT content is being differentially affected by this. the issue is the "bad filtering". if you do something that has the effect of harming a group, and they say we are being harmed, the correct response is not "actually it's an accident so you aren't being harmed", it's "oh, sorry, it's an accident, we'll fix it".

Okay. I was confused because it seems like a disproportionate amount of outrage in response to what is a technical problem, but maybe I haven't seen everything. Hopefully they improve their filtering.
kinoki
Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
(03-21-2017, 08:26 AM)
Same as with the outrage over gay people in films: you shouldn't censor reality. These issues aren't "mature" they're "reality".
ldcommando
(03-21-2017, 08:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Usobuko

Is there one where we can filter out white nationalists content?

yes. It is called restricted mode.
Gordon Shumway
Grass on the field
(03-21-2017, 08:30 AM)
I just wanna say outrage..the word hasn't been said enough..😒
Conan-san
(03-21-2017, 08:40 AM)
See if I was Vid.me right now I'd be spamming everywhere with stuff about this.
Jobbs
Ghostly member
(03-21-2017, 08:43 AM)
So a higher number of inoffensive LGBT videos are being filtered compared to inoffensive non-LGBT videos as an unintended feature of their filtering algorithm? What is the appropriate response from Youtube -- Is it not the one they already gave? They stated their philosophy (to be inclusive of everyone) and their intention to look into the problem and address it.

So I'm just not sure why everyone's saying fuck youtube and calling them the alt reight or whatever. It feels like everyone's talking past eachother. I read the twitter timeline and people are doing the same thing there. People are saying things that aren't true (for example, it's been claimed both here and there that anything with gay in the title is filtered, and it's demonstrably untrue. All you have to do is try it) and just seem to want to be angry.

I don't get it.
Bishop89
(03-21-2017, 08:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Hellwarden

holy cow.

Thats pathetic
VanquishUK
(03-21-2017, 08:52 AM)
if ( video.title.contains("gay") ) {
restrict();
}

10/10 Youtube...
Jobbs
Ghostly member
(03-21-2017, 08:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Bishop89

holy cow.

Thats pathetic

It's crazy how much stuff goes away when you turn on restricted mode, though. Tons of stuff completely unrelated to LGBT in my subbed channels goes away when I enable it. Just try it. See what goes away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h94cOlXFRc&t=1356s

This is restricted because a girl tapping on objects for an hour is offensive.

I mean, all kinds of shit is. The whole thing is broken.

Originally Posted by VanquishUK

if ( video.title.contains("gay") ) {
restrict();
}

10/10 Youtube...

How many times does this have to be debunked for people to stop saying it? Just try it yourself. It takes 10 seconds. Just go try it!
LOZLINK
(03-21-2017, 08:54 AM)
Huh weird. There's an ad here locally (Australia) from hp that has two guys in a relationship. Weird how they're censoring that but letting ads like that play for even child friendly videos. Mind you, I've seen the ad numerous times.
ZackieChan
(03-21-2017, 03:57 PM)

Originally Posted by EatinOlives

The assertion isn't that there's some conspiracy within youtube to eliminate LGBTQ content, it's that it's disproportionately affecting mundane videos about LGBTQ as opposed to, say, JonTron's video wherein he spouts canned white supremacist rhetoric.

Is there some evidence of this "disproportionate" effect? Or is it just a gut feeling?

And are you kidding me with your first sentence? Did you read the posts in this thread?
Par Score
(03-21-2017, 04:24 PM)
Youtube themselves have now admitted they fucked up big time and are working on fixing it.

I don't get it.

You've spent a whole page making this abundantly clear.

We get it, you don't get it.

Originally Posted by ZackieChan

Is there some evidence of this "disproportionate" effect?

Yes. You could get videos restricted just for mentioning LGBTQ "flag" words. Identical uploads with the only difference being the word "gay" added to the title would get the "gay" video restricted.

This restriction was being applied very quickly (under an hour) and very selectively, and would even target unlisted videos (so appears to have been a majority automated process).

There is no confusion or debate that Youtube fucked up with their Restricted mode implementation. It was unfairly and inappropriately targeting videos that had, or even purported to have, LGBTQ themes. They have admitted it and are trying to fix it.

Was it broken in other ways? Absolutely. Did those other ways contribute to the ongoing erasure of a class of people who already face societal erasure on a massive scale? No. If an overzealous content filter accidentally blocks resources for vulnerable gay youth, that is worse than if it accidentally blocks content that contains pictures of refried beans.
sixteen-bit
(03-21-2017, 04:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Par Score

Youtube themselves have now admitted they fucked up big time and are working on fixing it.

That's good to hear.
zethren
(03-21-2017, 04:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Fj0823

So,Separate but equal?

Basically.

Wow. Fuck this stupid shit, it should not be an option.

DON'T ENABLE BIGOTRY AND STUPIDITY. THEY SHOULD BE MADE TO FEEL WRONG, TO FEEL ASHAMED OF THEIR BIGOTRY. Because they are wrong.

Edit: ^ okay good, that's great news.
Art
(03-21-2017, 04:33 PM)
This is all kinds of fucked up.
Jobbs
Ghostly member
(03-21-2017, 05:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Par Score

Yes. You could get videos restricted just for mentioning LGBTQ "flag" words. Identical uploads with the only difference being the word "gay" added to the title would get the "gay" video restricted.

This restriction was being applied very quickly (under an hour) and very selectively, and would even target unlisted videos (so appears to have been a majority automated process).

Why aren't any of these being restricted?

I'm just trying to understand what's real and what's not. If you're correct that they're targeting videos with LGBT words in them, then I agree that's bad.

If I turn on restricted, as I said, tons of my subbed channels videos become restricted regardless what they're about.
ArchedThunder
Doing Toriyama's work.
(03-21-2017, 06:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Amalthea

I suspect that nearly all social media platforms are actually entangled a lot more with conservatives and the alt-right than they would ever admit. Sometimes those platforms seem like propaganda tools more than anything, especially Twitter.

Alt-right stuff is blocked in restricted mode too.
Cyanity
(03-21-2017, 06:10 PM)

Why aren't any of these being restricted?

I'm just trying to understand what's real and what's not. If you're correct that they're targeting videos with LGBT words in them, then I agree that's bad.

If I turn on restricted, as I said, tons of my subbed channels videos become restricted regardless what they're about.

All you have to do is look at all of the lgbt content creators on youtube posting examples of their videos being blocked to see that it's a problem. Obviously typing "lgbt" into the search bar is gonna get you SOMETHING as a result. But Idk why you're so intent on proving to us that this isn't that big of a deal though.
TankRizzo
Banned
(03-21-2017, 06:13 PM)

Originally Posted by ZombiePlatypus

God Youtube seriously needs a big competitor. ASAP.

lmao. youtube is king