• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Plumpbiscuit
(03-20-2017, 11:32 PM)
YouTube video (minor spoilers for the intro of the game).

6 minute video with the intro of the game in the asylum, no commentary.

It looks... okay. The lack of lighting, Kate's not so good voice acting and the jagged edges aren't looking so great. I'm liking the screen space reflections, fixed camera angles, Kate's design (outfit and character) and the new 3D puzzles.

I'm not liking the lighting/shadows, jagged edges, the voice acting and the new crappy Mass Effect dialogue 'wheel' system. Seriously sick of games copying Mass Effect, what happened to drop-down sentences? Ugh. Not sure if I'm buying day one even though I'm a huge fan of Syberia 1 & 2.
Coriolanus
(03-20-2017, 11:39 PM)
That's some serious hand-holding, even for (what i assume is) a tutorial. Yeesh.
Swiggins
(03-20-2017, 11:42 PM)
I've never even heard of the Syberia series...can anybody tell me what it's about?
SchrodingerC
(03-20-2017, 11:46 PM)
Geez, talk about a heavy handed tutorial. I don't remember being that bad in the previous games.

Originally Posted by Swiggins

I've never even heard of the Syberia series...can anybody tell me what it's about?

It's a point and click puzzle/adventure game that revolves around Kate Walker, the protagonist, slowly figuring a mystery that involves her dead client's past.
It's available on steam if you want to check it out.
Last edited by SchrodingerC; 03-20-2017 at 11:53 PM.
BluWacky
(03-20-2017, 11:46 PM)

Lawyer goes to sell a factory in the middle of nowhere; mammoth hijinks ensue.

The plot isn't the draw; it's a point-and-click adventure game with inventive, frequently automaton-based puzzles.
dripdripsplash
(03-20-2017, 11:47 PM)
I loved Syberia 1 and 2. It was just a wonderful athmospheric journey throughout them both. Getting this for sure.
Plumpbiscuit
(03-20-2017, 11:49 PM)

So, without spoilers and to get to the point. Both games you control Kate Walker, an American lawyer from New York.

In Syberia 1, she travels to the village of Valadilene, France to seal the deal on the sale of a toy company there. A client of your law firm has shown interest in buying out an automatron factory and all you have to do is get the signature of the owner, Anna Voralberg. However, it doesn't go as smooth and you end up travelling to different locations in a crazy, twisty plot that conflicts with your life back home and the current events.

In Syberia 2, now in Syberia itself, you do some more travelling in order to restore the health of an important character who is key to signing the original contract you came for. There is also a spy that gets sent your way from back home so they can track what you're doing, but Kate is more concerned about this certain other character she needs. This certain character wants Kate to take them somewhere special that he has dreamed about all his life, leading to a pretty magical and wild ending.

Syberia 3 takes off where 2 ended, but I'm not sure how far into the future.
alexanderftw
(03-20-2017, 11:51 PM)
That looks.....rough...to put it nicely. Hype died. Maybe the story will deliver.
Soul of the Beast
Banned
(03-20-2017, 11:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Coriolanus

That's some serious hand-holding, even for (what i assume is) a tutorial. Yeesh.

I thought indie games are free from horrible AAA hand holding game design :(
KainXVIII
(03-20-2017, 11:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Soul of the Beast

I thought indie games are free from horrible AAA hand holding game design :(

Is Syberia 3 indie though??
ElectricKaibutsu
(03-21-2017, 12:01 AM)
Yeah, graphics and voice acting could be better but whatever. I'll buy it anyway.
BlackLagoon
(03-21-2017, 02:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Plumpbiscuit

Kate's not so good voice acting

Seems in line with the previous games to me, I'm pretty sure that's the same actress. Though I expect the increased fidelity of the character models makes one expect the performance to more closely match what's going on on-screen.

Anyway, looking forward to this. Seems Kate is in a very different place than where she was when we left her at the end of Syberia 2.
Gacha-pin
(03-21-2017, 02:47 PM)

The second one is free on Origin currently.
Genio88
(03-21-2017, 03:02 PM)
Why are you complining about the graphics? this is not a AAA game with big budget, graphics is pretty fine, in line with what Telltale games offers, and Telltale games nowadays has a way bigger budget than than Syberia 3. About the game itself we cant judge it at all from this few minutes of gameplay, we can only suppose that it's gonna be an adventure game between David Cage games and Telltale ones