• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

unpopularblargh
(03-20-2017, 09:13 PM)
Amazon and a few other major retailers have a new listing of Chungking Express on their websites. Not a Criterion disc. Release date is shown as April 7, 2017. This is a big deal because the now discontinued Criterion blu-ray is really hard to find and goes for well over a hundred bucks just for a used copy.

Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Chungking-Exp...ngking+express
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-...=4988126429195
Target: http://intl.target.com/p/chungking-e...sitespect=true
see5harp
(03-20-2017, 09:14 PM)
TIL that my undying love for this movie means I can sell and actually make movie off a hobby for once.
Guzim
(03-20-2017, 09:15 PM)
One of my favorite movies ever. I am so happy I have the Criterion blu-ray release.
berzeli
(03-20-2017, 09:22 PM)
That looks like the Japanese edition? (which isn't English friendly)
It's listed as an import on all three retailers, the cover is the Japanese edition, and googling the universal product code takes me to a bunch of Japanese websites.
Perfect Blue
(03-20-2017, 09:23 PM)
I have the Criterion DVD of this and the blu-ray of Pierrot le fou... may sell both and pick up this new blu-ray release. Hopefully the transfer is good and not sub par like other films that went OOP to Criterion and got blu-ray releases (The Third Man, Contempt, Ran).
HStallion
(03-20-2017, 09:24 PM)
I first saw this movie through the Criterion release and its an amazingly simple but charming movie. The use of music, the evocative visuals and the great acting made this a really special cinematic experience for me even just watching the BluRay in my basement on my big screen.
HideyoshiJP
(03-20-2017, 09:25 PM)
Damn. I bought the Criterion Blu Ray used for like 12 bucks way back when. I like the movie, but maybe I should sell.
admiraltaftbar
(03-20-2017, 09:25 PM)
This movie is so so good. The lack of an official US release that's readily available is crazy so I hope this re-release is true because it's needed.

Almost forgot Fallen Angels also needs a Blu Ray re-release.
Last edited by admiraltaftbar; 03-20-2017 at 09:30 PM.
norm9
(03-20-2017, 09:26 PM)
Have this, one of favorite movies, on vhs. Would blu-ray even make this looks better? As with Won Kar Wai's Hong Kong pics, the cinematography uses a lot of blurs and colors for textures. Not sure how itd translate to bluray.
berzeli
(03-20-2017, 09:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Perfect Blue

I have the Criterion DVD of this and the blu-ray of Pierrot le fou... may sell both and pick up this new blu-ray release. Hopefully the transfer is good and not sub par like other films that went OOP to Criterion and got blu-ray releases (The Third Man, Contempt, Ran).

The newly (well new-ish-ly) remastered blu-rays of The Third Man and Ran are excellent. For some weird reason Lionsgate won't release them in the US though.
overcast

Originally Posted by berzeli

It's listed as an import on all three retailers, the cover is the Japanese edition, and googling the universal product code takes me to a bunch of Japanese websites.

Well then.
sixteen-bit
CAAAAALIFORNIA DREAMIN'

anyway this movie owns.

Should I try and flip the Criterion version while I still can?
Perfect Blue
(03-20-2017, 09:28 PM)

The newly (well new-ish-ly) remastered blu-rays of The Third Man and Ran are excellent. For some weird reason Lionsgate won't release them in the US though.

Wow, really? That's pretty wild. I own the Studio Canal version and they're merely okay, which is odd because Grand Illusion is spectacular from them and it's even older.
LiK
(03-20-2017, 09:30 PM)
Might get this as a gift for my sis. One of her all time fave movies.
Jesus Carbomb
From Water into Guinness
(03-20-2017, 09:32 PM)

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

Should I try and flip the Criterion version while I still can?

$9.99 PayPal

I'll do you a solid and send as a friend payment.
DontBeThatGuy
(03-20-2017, 09:32 PM)
I've seen it once, and that's a shame. I loved it.
Net_Wrecker
(03-20-2017, 09:34 PM)

Originally Posted by norm9

Have this, one of favorite movies, on vhs. Would blu-ray even make this looks better? As with Won Kar Wai's Hong Kong pics, the cinematography uses a lot of blurs and colors for textures. Not sure how itd translate to bluray.

Bruh

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Chungk...y/1197/#Review

Yes a blu-ray of Chungking Express looks better than your VHS copy.

And I highly doubt these older Wong Kar Wai movies being re-released would come through anyone but Criterion, Chungking at the very least (in region A). Glad this is one of the OOP blus I own. Love the movie.
Last edited by Net_Wrecker; 03-20-2017 at 09:41 PM.
berzeli
(03-20-2017, 09:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Perfect Blue

Wow, really? That's pretty wild. I own the Studio Canal version and they're merely okay, which is odd because Grand Illusion is spectacular from them and it's even older.

Yup, Studiocanal went and redid them, both turned out great. Caps-a-holic has comparisons with both Ran and The Third Man (the remastered version is "DE Special Edition"). The US rights for both should be with Lionsgate, and they're not releasing them in order to annoy Fancy Clown.

Note on the different colour scheme on Ran, it was supervised by the cinematographer, and it also gave me my favourite example of why you shouldn't knock remasters without having access to reliable information about how it is supposed too loook:

Originally Posted by some dude over at blu-ray.com

So, we FINALLY get Ran in HD... and they **** up the colours. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely buying it (hell, I've already bought this film five or six times) but it's pretty sad. Hopefully someone will do a regrade - like KK650's splendid work on The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Originally Posted by same dude

I saw Ran at the Danish Film Institute yesterday. It was an original 35mm print and judging from the state it was in, it probably dated from the 80s. It was quite worn but fortunately the colours hadn't faded.

And I have to - reluctantly - admit that the new blu-ray is pretty close to what I saw yesterday, though I still think the BD has a bit too much of a greenish tint and it drags down the brightness of the image..

Yonafunu
(03-20-2017, 09:40 PM)
Hell yes. One of my absolute favorite movies.
Shiv47
(03-20-2017, 09:45 PM)
As someone said above, that's the cover to the Japanese edition (which has no English subs), which someone is either importing or bootlegging, so I wouldn't be selling the Criterion for profit based on that listing.
Ridley327
(03-20-2017, 09:49 PM)
There have been more than rumors at this point, which include a potential box set of Wong's earlier films that have been OOP from Kino for quite some time, but this looks unrelated.
GeeTeeCee
(03-20-2017, 10:07 PM)
If they could re-release it in the UK too that would be just great. Much as I love the film, I can't justify spending £50 on Amazon for it.

I'll just sit here patiently with a can of pineapples and California Dreamin' on repeat to simulate the film until that day comes...
ThaiGrocer
(03-20-2017, 10:10 PM)
I remember seeing it on VHS and quentin tarantino was introducing it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rce=opensearch
Discotheque
Pam Oliver sextape
(03-20-2017, 10:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Net_Wrecker

Bruh

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Chungk...y/1197/#Review

Yes a blu-ray of Chungking Express looks better than your VHS copy.

And I highly doubt these older Wong Kar Wai movies being re-released would come through anyone but Criterion, Chungking at the very least (in region A). Glad this is one of the OOP blus I own. Love the movie.

While he's wrong about Chungking Express he does have a point about some transitions to hidef.

I thought cowboy bebops transition to bluray made it miss some of that 90s grainy anime charm for example

I'm gonna see if I can find the criterion bluray at a flea market or something. Really want that one but I'll settle for this release if I got to
Megabat
(03-20-2017, 10:22 PM)

Originally Posted by norm9

Oh, man. I think about these kinds of things often.

I've got Fallen Angels on DVD (UK, Artificial Eye) and Blu-ray (US, Kino Lorber). I feel super-heck-of-weird when I try to compare them. It boils down to this: standard definition suits this film - and, by extension, Chungking Express. Maybe I just love it too much to care about video quality. So, uh, it absolutely translates to Blu-ray, but it kind of doesn't matter.
rbenchley
(03-20-2017, 10:24 PM)

Originally Posted by ThaiGrocer

I remember seeing it on VHS and quentin tarantino was introducing it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rce=opensearch

When Pulp Fiction hit big, he was able to convince Miramax to distribute Chungking Express (and a few others as part of his Rolling Thunder distribution company) so there are probably a lot of people like me that first learned about this wonderful film by watching Pulp Fiction on VHS and seeing the trailer before the movie. As for a new BluRay release, I hope it happens so more people can see it. Fortunately, I snagged the Criterion BluRay the day it came out.
brianjones
(03-20-2017, 10:39 PM)
has anyone tried watching this on filmstruck?

I can't tell if it's me or the version they have on there has glitchy/skipping audio
unpopularblargh
(03-21-2017, 02:13 AM)

Hence why I titled it as a rumour but do Target and Barnes & Noble carry import DVD/blu-rays?
HotHamBoy
(03-21-2017, 02:17 AM)
This movie is on FilmStruck, TCM & Criterion's streaming service.

Free 14 day trial, $12/mo for all Criterion films and then some. Chromecast support.
Fancy Clown
(03-21-2017, 06:52 PM)

The US rights for both should be with Lionsgate, and they're not releasing them in order to annoy Fancy Clown.

And they are succeeding...exceptionally
unpopularblargh
(03-21-2017, 08:06 PM)

Originally Posted by HotHamBoy

This movie is on FilmStruck, TCM & Criterion's streaming service.

Free 14 day trial, $12/mo for all Criterion films and then some. Chromecast support.

Filmstruck isn't available outside of The USA though.
MMarston
(03-21-2017, 08:15 PM)
Fucking finally.

One of my favourite Asian films of all time.
Scavenger
(03-21-2017, 08:23 PM)

Originally Posted by unpopularblargh

Hence why I titled it as a rumour but do Target and Barnes & Noble carry import DVD/blu-rays?

Yes.
TheFlow
Banned
(03-21-2017, 08:24 PM)
criterion version of this is coming. will wait. plus it is on filmstruck
Mollymauk
(03-21-2017, 08:25 PM)

Originally Posted by brianjones

has anyone tried watching this on filmstruck?

I can't tell if it's me or the version they have on there has glitchy/skipping audio

Have you watched recently? They had a rough launch, but things seem to be much better now (Fire TV). YMMV
Fjordson
(03-21-2017, 08:26 PM)
Seems like the Japanese release. Probably won't have subtitles =[

I hate that I missed the Criterion version of Chungking.
Belker
(03-21-2017, 08:27 PM)
I've never seen this, but whenever I see it mentioned I have to link to a book I've got about Chungking Mansions, which I believe is the setting. It's by an academic and talks about the building and the traders there.

http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/...o11234886.html
War Peaceman
(03-21-2017, 08:28 PM)
Terrific film. If you haven't seen it yet, buy it ASAP. The atmosphere in this film is so languid and beautiful.
Mollymauk
(03-21-2017, 08:28 PM)
Last edited by Mollymauk; 03-21-2017 at 08:29 PM. Reason: weird double post
TheFlow
Banned
(03-21-2017, 08:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Mollymauk

Have you watched recently? They had a rough launch, but things seem to be much better now (Fire TV). YMMV

yea I watched dozens of films on FS so far and the quality is quite nice.
Seiryoden
(03-21-2017, 08:41 PM)
A wonderful film. I had no idea WKW's work was so hard to find on Blu-Ray, I own everything up to 2046 on UK DVD.
(03-21-2017, 08:49 PM)
Haven't seen the film in years.

What would seal the deal would be a re-done soundtrack, because california dreamin is used ridiculously too much. All I'm asking for is for it to be toned down with some other non-offensive filler.
TheFlow
Banned
(03-21-2017, 11:55 PM)
Just watched the filmstruck version. Quality is amazing.