• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

SirMossyBloke
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:17 AM)
SirMossyBloke's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lashley

Updates been released

https://twitter.com/VG247/status/843949019390865408

Oh thank god. Now I don't have to fiddle with anything when I finish work. At least they're on it.
spleenpoker
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:30 AM)
spleenpoker's Avatar

Originally Posted by bongpig

No, triple buffering is off. Its not something I generally mess about with. I cant say ive ever had an instance where triple buffering has made a difference.

Okay great. I'll try disabling triple buffering when I'm in game again. Might be bugged or something.
dEvAnGeL
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:32 AM)
dEvAnGeL's Avatar
We need a guide explaining what every option does
Grassy
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:42 AM)
Grassy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smokey

Somebody try the game with new driver/SLI profile

For humanity

I installed the new drivers this morning and they've created a specific Andromeda/Steep SLI profile, which from early testing seems to perform just as well as using the SLI compatibility bits for Battlefield 1/SW Battlefront etc. I get pretty good SLI scaling, although I have seen a few minor hitches and drops so it might need tweaking a bit.

6700K @ 4.2ghz/stock
980 Ti SC SLI (not overclocked other than the auto-boost to ~1300mhz)
16gb DDR4
SSD
1440p/Ultra settings/HBAO Full etc
Custom Reshade/Sweetfx preset

On Eos the majority of the time I get anywhere from 75-110fps outdoors, although in some caves I've seen the framerate drop to ~65fps or so. I mean I would have liked to have been able to downsample to 4K and stay above 60fps most of the time, but I'm fairly happy with performance and how the game looks. The 980 Ti's are pushing 2 years old now I suppose...might need an upgrade soon. Ansel support is in these drivers as well.





Last edited by Grassy; 03-21-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Micerider
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:44 AM)
Micerider's Avatar

Originally Posted by CaptainSmirnov

50% is 1080p, the game's internal scaling is pretty good tbh, especially sitting at a distance.

Do you notice banding with HDR? I'm having trouble changing my tv to 4:2:0 10/12 bit to avoid banding

Just noticed something strange with HDR. I didn't pay attention but initially the default resolution of the game was actual 4k (4096x2160). So I tried to move it to UHD (3840x2160) and...all of sudden, HDR just looked muted and dull. Very unsettling as I couldn't replicate the fantastic HDR effect I had in 4k...

No issues in SDR, it just affects HDR. I am on Nvidia game ready drivers.
Last edited by Micerider; 03-21-2017 at 12:51 AM.
jony_m
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:18 AM)
jony_m's Avatar
Maybe placebo but the nvidia drivers (ddu install) seem to have helped with smoothing the frames. However, I don't see a huge jump in fps. Gtx1080
Last edited by jony_m; 03-21-2017 at 02:22 AM.
dr_rus
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:26 AM)
dr_rus's Avatar

Originally Posted by nOoblet16

Here's what's happening:

1) I'm running borderless window with V sync off cause borderless mode takes care of tearing
2) Capping at 60 using RTSS causes judder at uneven intervals. If I cap at cap at 59 or 61 (to consider the margin of error) I get judder every second
3) If I remove the cap and simply use V sync (still in borderless window) I get no judder

Why is this?

Off the top of my head this can due to error which accumulates from 60 fps frames running on your 59.97 or 59.94 fps monitor. Another option would be RTSS messing up something in game's swap chain. If all you want is to limit the load on the videocard then why not use something which is a bit about refresh rate? Like 62 or 64. This could in theory help with the second option.
RS4-
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:27 AM)
RS4-'s Avatar
A little annoyed. I set my tv to 3840x1600.

In game resolution is set the same, but for whatever reason, it's still 16:9 when in full screen. So I can't get it to run ultrawide in HDR.

But if it's an actual 21:9 resolution (say 3440x1440) in windowed, that itself runs fine, but obviously not HDR.

I'll have to figure it out again later. Maybe I can just force it in the .cfg file.

edit - yeah, 3840 x 1600 is fucked up for me. It stretches the game vertically for me. The game overrides/ignores my custom desktop resolution and runs fullscreen as if it's back to 2160p, but with the screwed up aspect ratio.
Last edited by RS4-; 03-21-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Aeana
Medal Princess
(03-21-2017, 02:52 AM)
Aeana's Avatar
I disabled vsync/triple buffering and I get between 85-110 FPS walking around. I limit it to 60 with RTSS and I frequently get small dips as I turn the camera and such. I don't get it.
nOoblet16
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:32 AM)
nOoblet16's Avatar

Originally Posted by dr_rus

Off the top of my head this can due to error which accumulates from 60 fps frames running on your 59.97 or 59.94 fps monitor. Another option would be RTSS messing up something in game's swap chain. If all you want is to limit the load on the videocard then why not use something which is a bit about refresh rate? Like 62 or 64. This could in theory help with the second option.

Well that's why I tried 61 but the judder still exists and shows up every second. I ultimately ended up enabling the ingame Vsync without triple buffering and it's running without issues now. I donno why it's happening here though in every other game it's fine. In Overwatch I limit the FPS to refresh rate while running borderless and turning off V sync to get the least lag possible and the game caps it to refresh rate+10 FPS so I get 70FPS but no judder there.

Apart from that the framerate is pretty nice and silky smooth for the most part, there's this forest level in the game where in firefights with multiple enemies it can drop to 50 but it recovers quickly. I'm loving this 1080 that I bought yesterday.

Originally Posted by Aeana

I disabled vsync/triple buffering and I get between 85-110 FPS walking around. I limit it to 60 with RTSS and I frequently get small dips as I turn the camera and such. I don't get it.

This is what I've been talking about since last page. I don't think those are dips but rather the judder caused due to accumulated frames. Walking around the Nexus was pretty terrible when I capped it at 60 with RTSS, judders everywhere and felt like I was playing at 40 something FPS despite the counter remaining at 60. Try this and tell me if it's better, uncap the framerate but enable Vsync in game.
Last edited by nOoblet16; 03-21-2017 at 03:34 AM.
EatChildren
Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
(03-21-2017, 03:34 AM)
EatChildren's Avatar
I know it's unlikely, but any benefits from the NVidia driver?
Arulan
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:41 AM)
Arulan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aeana

I disabled vsync/triple buffering and I get between 85-110 FPS walking around. I limit it to 60 with RTSS and I frequently get small dips as I turn the camera and such. I don't get it.

Try forcing V-Sync (through "Force on" with Nvidia Inspector or NVCP; assuming a 60Hz display) and RTSS at 60.
Aeana
Medal Princess
(03-21-2017, 03:47 AM)
Aeana's Avatar
I decided to switch to exclusive fullscreen and it seems to be really smooth now. I'm using fast sync with gsync + RTSS at 60 FPS limit, although I was doing the same before in borderless windowed and it was giving the weird stutters.
K.Jack
Knowledge is power, guard it well
(03-21-2017, 04:11 AM)
K.Jack's Avatar
Game Ready driver refuse to install for anyone else?
Dubz
Member
(03-21-2017, 04:47 AM)
Dubz's Avatar
Any suggestions to get this to run at a solid 60fps on 1440p Gsync wih this rig?

1070
i74770 @3.5
8GB RAM


I need more RAM, I know.
Ghazi
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:06 AM)
Ghazi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dubz

Any suggestions to get this to run at a solid 60fps on 1440p Gsync wih this rig?

1070
i74770 @3.5
8GB RAM


I need more RAM, I know.

The game pulls around 11 GB of ram at times for me, but other than that you'll probably be fine.
GReeeeN
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:20 AM)
GReeeeN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blitzhex

2) Normal, cap at 30/60/120 etc to avoid judder
3) Stutter is a thing when using borderless triple buffering and a precise fps cap (rtss) at your refresh rate without vsync.

The only way to get rid of it is using vsync with borderless windowed.

The latest rtss version 6.6.0 has a full frame limiter now, if you really want to render ahead as less frames as possible to reduce input lag, then if you have a 59.94 refresh rate you can set rtss cap to your exact refresh rate minus 0.06 like:

sounds like an issue I'm running into also, quick question though, how do we see the exact fresh rate of our TV/ Monitor are running?. I've got it set to 60hz in the Nvidia control panel, although I know its not at 60hz as limiting the fps to 60 causes massive judder and input lag. FPS needs to sit at around 80-90 for it to feel slightly smooth
GReeeeN
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:25 AM)
GReeeeN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Micerider

I'm in 4:4:2 too and game setting on HDR "auto". It's the opposite of muted for sure. Is your HDMI cable 2.0? I have smart led at high on TV.

Although every time you launch the game, it doesn't activate HDR mode unless you manually go into the setting, turn it off, hit apply, and then turn it back on and hit apply again. Are you sure your game is launching with HDR Mode enabled?

I have a high quality HDMI cable, (it was up to 18gbs from memory) so it shouldn't be a cabled issue
HooYaH
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:46 AM)
HooYaH's Avatar
Anyone know how to get rid of the annoying mouse cursor onscreen? It just doesn't disappear.
scitek
Member
(03-21-2017, 05:55 AM)
scitek's Avatar

Originally Posted by EatChildren

I know it's unlikely, but any benefits from the NVidia driver?

It enables Dolby Vision support.
GameAddict411
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:00 AM)
GameAddict411's Avatar
Anyone noticed improvement using the Nvidia new drivers?
Smokey
Just ordered 2 Laker car flags on Amazon.com
(03-21-2017, 06:35 AM)
Smokey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Grassy

I installed the new drivers this morning and they've created a specific Andromeda/Steep SLI profile, which from early testing seems to perform just as well as using the SLI compatibility bits for Battlefield 1/SW Battlefront etc. I get pretty good SLI scaling, although I have seen a few minor hitches and drops so it might need tweaking a bit.

6700K @ 4.2ghz/stock
980 Ti SC SLI (not overclocked other than the auto-boost to ~1300mhz)
16gb DDR4
SSD
1440p/Ultra settings/HBAO Full etc
Custom Reshade/Sweetfx preset

On Eos the majority of the time I get anywhere from 75-110fps outdoors, although in some caves I've seen the framerate drop to ~65fps or so. I mean I would have liked to have been able to downsample to 4K and stay above 60fps most of the time, but I'm fairly happy with performance and how the game looks. The 980 Ti's are pushing 2 years old now I suppose...might need an upgrade soon. Ansel support is in these drivers as well.

Thanks. I continued the trial but we the updated day 1 patch. My SLI scaling was not that great, but I suspect it's a combination of my resolution being too low for 2x 1080Tis (2560x1440) and my CPU. It was getting hammered pretty good despite it being a 6 core.

So I disabled one card and played for quite a bit of time on Eos. During that time including real time cutscenes, I averaged 95 fps. Combined with my Gsync monitor, performance was extremely smooth.

Will try DSR tomorrow with the 2x 1080Tis. The profile seemed to be working well though from what I could see.
LongMuckDong
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:53 AM)
LongMuckDong's Avatar
Just posted this in the OT, but then realised it's more of a PC performance question:

Anyone able to take Geforce Experience screenshots on PC whilst HDR is enabled for you? Freezes my game every time, and then I have to reboot the computer even (goes black screen with some music in the background, very eery) - that's the Alt-F1 screenshot tool newly implemented in Geforce Experience.

Screen captures work fine if I turn HDR10 off in the settings, just when it's on it freezes: could be a bug in Geforce Experience though, not the game I guess: have no other HDR games to test it on (this is full screen mode, full screen captures work fine in all my other PC games using the Nvidia screen capture utility).

i7 3770K / GTX 980 / 16GB / SSHD
Krayz
Junior Member
(03-21-2017, 06:54 AM)
Krayz's Avatar
No performance guide from Nvidia? They slacking.
Micerider
Member
(03-21-2017, 06:57 AM)
Micerider's Avatar

Originally Posted by GReeeeN

Although every time you launch the game, it doesn't activate HDR mode unless you manually go into the setting, turn it off, hit apply, and then turn it back on and hit apply again. Are you sure your game is launching with HDR Mode enabled?

I have a high quality HDMI cable, (it was up to 18gbs from memory) so it shouldn't be a cabled issue

Yes it does launch with HDR. I have the TV message annoucing it and I can just see it too in game.
Nostremitus
Member
(03-21-2017, 07:00 AM)
Nostremitus's Avatar

Originally Posted by GReeeeN

Although every time you launch the game, it doesn't activate HDR mode unless you manually go into the setting, turn it off, hit apply, and then turn it back on and hit apply again. Are you sure your game is launching with HDR Mode enabled?

I have a high quality HDMI cable, (it was up to 18gbs from memory) so it shouldn't be a cabled issue

HDR was automatic for me.
GavinUK86
Member
(03-21-2017, 07:01 AM)
GavinUK86's Avatar

Originally Posted by HooYaH

Anyone know how to get rid of the annoying mouse cursor onscreen? It just doesn't disappear.

Ugh, it's super annoying having the cursor stuck center of the screen during a cutscene. Glad it's not just my game.

You can try this little app:

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Mic...ideMouseCursor

It's worked for me with other games. I'm not at my computer atm so I haven't tried it myself yet.
tuna_love
Member
(03-21-2017, 07:13 AM)
tuna_love's Avatar
im getting stutters on the new drivers
edit: it was the vpn causing stutters ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by tuna_love; 03-21-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Smokey
Just ordered 2 Laker car flags on Amazon.com
(03-21-2017, 07:32 AM)
Smokey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smokey

Thanks. I continued the trial but we the updated day 1 patch. My SLI scaling was not that great, but I suspect it's a combination of my resolution being too low for 2x 1080Tis (2560x1440) and my CPU. It was getting hammered pretty good despite it being a 6 core.

So I disabled one card and played for quite a bit of time on Eos. During that time including real time cutscenes, I averaged 95 fps. Combined with my Gsync monitor, performance was extremely smooth.

Will try DSR tomorrow with the 2x 1080Tis. The profile seemed to be working well though from what I could see.


Confirming from my quote post above that the SLI profile works well in this game



As I mentioned in the above post, 1440p was too low for 2x 1080Tis. I used DSR to downsample from 4k and the GPU usage went right to the upper 90s. Gameplay was smooth. No hitching or stuttering issues. No crashes. I played on Eos and took care of 2/3 of the artifacts.

Settings - Ultra/Max, downsample from 3840x2160 to my RoG Swift, Avg FPS = 76

Rig

4930k @ 4.5
2x 1080Ti
16GB RAM
Win 10
Installed on SSD
Nvidia Game Ready Driver
GReeeeN
Member
(03-21-2017, 07:43 AM)
GReeeeN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Micerider

Yes it does launch with HDR. I have the TV message annoucing it and I can just see it too in game.

Strange, my game doesn't activate HDR unless I specifically toggle it. Maybe because I'm using 4:2:2 12bit ?
Taggen86
Junior Member
(03-21-2017, 09:13 AM)
Has anyone tried dolby vision in mass effect on a b6 oled? It was added with the new nvidia drivers and should provide a huge jump in HDR quality.
sgs2008
Junior Member
(03-21-2017, 09:47 AM)
well well a decent sli profile, guess it is a frost bite game. now on a rock solid 60fps at 4k with sli titan xp's. Much smoother. Still in the very first area though so not sure how indicative it is of the game in general.
Blitzhex
Member
(03-21-2017, 09:54 AM)
Blitzhex's Avatar

Originally Posted by GReeeeN

sounds like an issue I'm running into also, quick question though, how do we see the exact fresh rate of our TV/ Monitor are running?. I've got it set to 60hz in the Nvidia control panel, although I know its not at 60hz as limiting the fps to 60 causes massive judder and input lag. FPS needs to sit at around 80-90 for it to feel slightly smooth

https://www.vsynctester.com/
oneils
Member
(03-21-2017, 11:17 AM)
oneils's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aeana

I decided to switch to exclusive fullscreen and it seems to be really smooth now. I'm using fast sync with gsync + RTSS at 60 FPS limit, although I was doing the same before in borderless windowed and it was giving the weird stutters.

The quick look on giantbomb seemed to have this strange stutter. Although I don't even know if that was on pc. I wonder if it was the same thing. They didn't seem to notice it.
VAD
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:02 PM)
Hey guys, my 970 and i5-750 are struggling to run the game at 60fps in high. Am I CPU limited or the 970 is too weak?
Nostremitus
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:09 PM)
Nostremitus's Avatar

Originally Posted by VAD

Hey guys, my 970 and i5-750 are struggling to run the game at 60fps in high. Am I CPU limited or the 970 is too weak?

Drop to 720p and see if you still stutter.

Run HWinfo and see if your CPU is slammed at 100%.

My OC'd 2500k is bottlenecking my Rx 480.
Lister
Member
(03-21-2017, 12:54 PM)
Lister's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameAddict411

Anyone noticed improvement using the Nvidia new drivers?

Yes. I got a pretty big uptick with the new drivers on my 1080. Cut scenes went from an average of 40 to around 55. Demanding GPU areas like Habitat 7 went from mostly 50 to pretty solid 60.

Originally Posted by K.Jack

Game Ready driver refuse to install for anyone else?

Yes,had ot restart my Pc first.
daninthemix
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:09 PM)
daninthemix's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lister

Yes. I got a pretty big uptick with the new drivers on my 1080. Cut scenes went from an average of 40 to around 55. Demanding GPU areas like Habitat 7 went from mostly 50 to pretty solid 60.

What res?
Renekton
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:26 PM)
Renekton's Avatar
Struggling.

i5-4690
16gb
290x
1200p with 0.9 scaling
High with a couple mediums, SSAO
Tessellation off

51-57 generally, passing 60 only in cutscenes or low impact areas.
Last edited by Renekton; 03-21-2017 at 01:30 PM.
TC McQueen
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:31 PM)
TC McQueen's Avatar
Does applying arthroscopic filtering via the Nvidia control panel have a performance penalty vs just forcing it via editing the ProfileOptions_profile thing in the game's save directory?
daninthemix
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:32 PM)
daninthemix's Avatar

Originally Posted by TC McQueen

Does applying arthroscopic filtering via the Nvidia control panel have a performance penalty vs just forcing it via editing the ProfileOptions_profile thing in the game's save directory?

"Arthroscopy (also called arthroscopic surgery) is a minimally invasive surgical procedure on a joint in which an examination and sometimes treatment of damage is performed using an arthroscope, an endoscope that is inserted into the joint through a small incision. Arthroscopic procedures can be performed to evaluate or treat many orthopaedic conditions including torn cartilage (known by health professionals as "meniscus"), torn surface (articular) cartilage, ACL reconstruction, and trimming damaged cartilage."
Smokey
Just ordered 2 Laker car flags on Amazon.com
(03-21-2017, 01:38 PM)
Smokey's Avatar

Originally Posted by sgs2008

well well a decent sli profile, guess it is a frost bite game. now on a rock solid 60fps at 4k with sli titan xp's. Much smoother. Still in the very first area though so not sure how indicative it is of the game in general.

BF1 SLI profile produces flickering for me and this blown out high contrast look. Don't get any of that in Andromeda.
TC McQueen
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:39 PM)
TC McQueen's Avatar

Originally Posted by daninthemix

"Arthroscopy (also called arthroscopic surgery) is a minimally invasive surgical procedure on a joint in which an examination and sometimes treatment of damage is performed using an arthroscope, an endoscope that is inserted into the joint through a small incision. Arthroscopic procedures can be performed to evaluate or treat many orthopaedic conditions including torn cartilage (known by health professionals as "meniscus"), torn surface (articular) cartilage, ACL reconstruction, and trimming damaged cartilage."

Derp, I meant Anisotropic Filtering, a phrase I don't use often enough to memorize.
Dave_6
Member
(03-21-2017, 01:42 PM)
Dave_6's Avatar

Originally Posted by VAD

Hey guys, my 970 and i5-750 are struggling to run the game at 60fps in high. Am I CPU limited or the 970 is too weak?

According to Afterburner, my 3570K hits 100% quite often during the trial so it's probably your CPU too. I'm using a 970 as well so I know my PC isn't up to par for newer games.
Lister
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:37 PM)
Lister's Avatar

Originally Posted by daninthemix

What res?

3440x1440 21:9 Frame times are smoother too. Quite happy with the performance. Too bad I'm refunding. :(
Last edited by Lister; 03-21-2017 at 02:40 PM.
saskuatch
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:41 PM)
saskuatch's Avatar
How does resolution scale work, is it a dynamic resolution or is it just lower res?
Lister
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:45 PM)
Lister's Avatar

Originally Posted by saskuatch

How does resolution scale work, is it a dynamic resolution or is it just lower res?

I don't think it's dynamic. Woudl be nice to have that option. You set it and you forget it ;)

Right now it's static. So if you set it to .75 it'll be whataver .75 of your native resolution would be at all times.
MaLDo
Banned
(03-21-2017, 02:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Aeana

I disabled vsync/triple buffering and I get between 85-110 FPS walking around. I limit it to 60 with RTSS and I frequently get small dips as I turn the camera and such. I don't get it.

Without vsync, dips and tearing are normal (in exclusive fullscreen mode). Limiting framerate doesn't sync the frames.

BTW, for Frostbite3 games, best framerate limiter is the built-in limiter. But you have to access game console.
Last edited by MaLDo; 03-21-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Sir Garbageman
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:55 PM)
Sir Garbageman's Avatar
Eos laptop issue was fixed. Didn't change any settings so must've been a weird hiccup.
LongMuckDong
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:01 PM)
LongMuckDong's Avatar
Question MassGAF: Is RGB 8bpc the best (at full) or Ybr422 or Ybr444 with 10bpc for HDR/1080p (upscaled to 4K)?

Also, triple buffering: that helps framerate if you have Vsync on right?

Man, sometimes I forget I know hardly anything about tech stuff :/

i7 3770K / 16GB / 980 G1 / SSHD

Any help appreciated! :)

Thread Tools