• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Dr Zhivago
(04-20-2017, 01:27 PM)

Originally Posted by DKL

Were you using the stealth armor?

Possibly, but I'd had no problems using sneakstrike in the other outfits as long as I was careful. I had assumed they'd set up the Yiga base specifically to stop people using murderstealth.
TheMoon
(04-20-2017, 01:32 PM)

Originally Posted by TheMoon

That Yiga Clan issue seems resolved to me. It's clear the failed sneakstrike was a failed sneakstrike and that's all there is to it. Do it right and win win win.

I mean, the same vide even shows it working perfectly as advertised if executed correctly from behind.
Peléo
(04-20-2017, 01:35 PM)
I think some people might be failing to kill the Blademasters with Sneakstrikes because as soon as you activate the animation, the noise takes them out of their neutral stance and put them in alert mode. So, even though you performed the Sneakstrike, the fact they were already aware of you transforms the attack from a One-Hit Kill into a regular Sneakstrike, which does 4 times de damage if I'm not mistaken.

This is just a theory.
VGdrumCovers
(04-20-2017, 01:36 PM)
Only discovered the other day that octoroks can clean rusted weapons if they suck them up.

Mind blown.

Also, got my own village the other day and helped marry a couple. This game continues to impress
GiantBreadbug
(04-20-2017, 01:37 PM)
I failed the sneak strike a couple times, and it seemed like I was too far away from the target when I failed. Getting as close as possible before executing the strike seemed to solve my problems.
marc^o^
Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
(04-20-2017, 01:45 PM)
If you hold the head of a skull monster and throw it, Link will kick it like a football.

I have never seen a game with as many animations for a character in gameplay sequences.
EdwardTivrusky
(04-20-2017, 01:54 PM)

Originally Posted by marc^o^

If you hold the head of a skull monster and throw it, Link will kick it like a football.
I have never seen a game with as many animations for a character in gameplay sequences.

Kick it off a cliff and the stalbeastie dies :)
markofhavoc
(04-20-2017, 02:01 PM)

Originally Posted by peanutbutterlatte

For the forced stealth encounter, I just cheesed the remote bombs (switching between square and round) and whittled their health down. Not fun, but fuck sneaking around.

I used the bow that fires three arrows and shot the bomb arrows. If you run around in circles they all kind of Teleport together and you just let it go. I also was the kind of person that saved my bomb arrows but I kept screwing up and got tired of it. You can rebuild your weapons you get after defeating the divine beasts by talking in the town you get the main quests from after the fact. It does need special ingredients
TheMoon
(04-20-2017, 02:08 PM)

you've never seen that gif from last E3? :D
correojon
(04-20-2017, 02:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Lork

You guys are really reaching here for some reason. The video was just the first example I could find on Youtube. The same thing happened to me when using the sneak attack from directly behind.

As others have commented that lacks the stealth attack animation, it´s clear that for whatever reason it didn´t register as a proper stealth attack. I´m 100% sure you can OHKO Blademasters in the hideout with any weapon with a stealth attack if done properly. I was very surprised when I found out and, as I hadn´t been using stealth attacks previously, I thought it was like that for every enemy in the game and posted it here (or maybe in the OT, can´t remember). People immediately let me know that no, stealth attacks won´t OHKO all enemies with any weapon, so I tested it and found that to be true as well. Just to let you know that I´m not misremembering things, I can recall it pretty clearly because I tried a bunch of different weapons until I got to my weakest one (torch) and all of them OHKO´d the BMs and did more tests in the overworld after GAF telling me it only happened in the hideout.
SM239
(04-20-2017, 02:19 PM)
For the stealth section I just brute forced it. Didn't really feel like being stealthy at the time and I'm glad the game allows you fight your way through it. (Even if it might be the more difficult option)
"Stealth"
Jackano
(04-20-2017, 04:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Lizardus

That makes no sense. Why would chus change weather?

What I thought made sense is that chus elements matched the different weather that are already in the game.
Watch Da Birdie
I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
(04-20-2017, 05:03 PM)
Don't forget you can freely warp out of the stealth section at any time---if you're going for the treasure scattered around grab it, get spotted, and warp away before you die.
SomTervo
(04-20-2017, 05:09 PM)

I think MGSV is the only comparable thing I've seen
Akuun
(04-20-2017, 05:11 PM)
When watching speedruns, I noticed that when Link kicks treasure chests open without wearing boots, he hurts his foot and hops around a bit. It's a nice touch.
dock
(04-20-2017, 05:16 PM)

Originally Posted by VGdrumCovers

Also, got my own village the other day and helped marry a couple. This game continues to impress

What.

A crappy house for limited storage, sure, but a village?
Needham
(04-20-2017, 05:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Akuun

When watching speedruns, I noticed that when Link kicks treasure chests open without wearing boots, he hurts his foot and hops around a bit. It's a nice touch.

If you crouch by one and open it from the side he'll punch it with his fist and shake his hand after.
Bucca
Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
(04-20-2017, 05:17 PM)

Originally Posted by dock

What.

A crappy house for limited storage, sure, but a village?

You just help to build it. Sidequests that occurs after you buy the house in Hateno.
spyroflame0487
(04-20-2017, 05:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Smiles and Cries

Rain Kills Fire Keese! :O

I actually found that opposite elements usually one hit KO stuff; ie using the Ice Rod/swords one hit KOs any sort of fire type monster (Red Lizalfos/Fire Keese/Fire Chus) and obviously electric stuff does a ton of damage to water based monsters/anything in the water.

Haven't tried it but I'm assuming Fire stuff should quickly kill Ice based stuff too. I know the Fire Arrows completely schooled the Ice Talus
BorkBork
The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
(04-20-2017, 05:25 PM)
Someone bashed a lynel to death with a bookshelf.

https://gfycat.com/HeartfeltLoathsomeClam
DKL
(04-20-2017, 05:26 PM)

Originally Posted by BorkBork

I respect this.
Weltall Zero
(04-20-2017, 05:29 PM)

I mean, the same vide even shows it working perfectly as advertised if executed correctly from behind.

Which in turn disproves that the different results might be caused by different game / patch versions.
AcademicSaucer
(04-20-2017, 05:42 PM)

Well then ..
Nyoro SF
(04-20-2017, 05:46 PM)

Originally Posted by spyroflame0487

I actually found that opposite elements usually one hit KO stuff; ie using the Ice Rod/swords one hit KOs any sort of fire type monster (Red Lizalfos/Fire Keese/Fire Chus) and obviously electric stuff does a ton of damage to water based monsters/anything in the water.

Haven't tried it but I'm assuming Fire stuff should quickly kill Ice based stuff too. I know the Fire Arrows completely schooled the Ice Talus

You are correct.

If you use the opposing element on Wizzrobes it oneshots them.
Akuun
(04-20-2017, 06:08 PM)

Ahahahaa that's Zelda equivalent of the Deus Ex guy who cleared a whole level with a vending machine.

Originally Posted by Needham

If you crouch by one and open it from the side he'll punch it with his fist and shake his hand after.

Ooh. Cool, I didn't know this.
Last edited by Akuun; 04-20-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Weltall Zero
(04-20-2017, 08:28 PM)
You guys know the elemental one hit kills are not only regularly posted here over and over, but even featured in loading screen tips, right?
TheMoon
(04-20-2017, 10:02 PM)

Originally Posted by spyroflame0487

opposite elements instakill all counter elemental enemies. you can instakill fire wizzrobes with one whiff of ice, for example.

literally me just a bit earlier^^

Originally Posted by Weltall Zero

You guys know the elemental one hit kills are not only regularly posted here over and over, but even featured in loading screen tips, right?

I hear there are load screen tips. :D
Crayolan
(04-20-2017, 11:10 PM)

Originally Posted by DKL

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what's going on in that video.

It seems like the setup is correct, but I noticed the enemy reacting to the weapon draw and it's possible it wasn't a true stealth attack...

Which is strange since I think the guy is wearing the stealth armor (recolored?).

Someone pls investigate and explain the video lol

Were you using the stealth armor?

That said, my impression is that you're still pretty stealthy without it as long as you're crouching, but it's possible that weapon draw alerts the enemy?

Is there a system guide for stealth somewhere that I can read?

EDIT:

Yeah, I'm reviewing footage of me playing the game... you can literally walk around in circles around a dude's back in the stealth gear and they won't notice you at all. That's my understanding of the mechanic.

Stealth boosts work by making Link quieter, not harder to see. Because in the video of the failed sneakstrike, the player is directly to the side of the Yiga guard, they may have been on the very edge of the guard's line of sight and the sneakstrike animation may have pushed them into the line of sight, resulting in the sneakstrike being registered as a regular attack, which instantly alerts the guards.

Edit: Like you said, the guard clearly reacts to the sound of the weapon being drawn, so that could have momentarily put the guard into a "suspicious" status which made the sneakstrike no longer valid mid-animation. This kind of thing needs testing though.
Last edited by Crayolan; 04-20-2017 at 11:16 PM.
What The Forest Taught Me
(04-20-2017, 11:51 PM)

Originally Posted by markofhavoc

I used the bow that fires three arrows and shot the bomb arrows. If you run around in circles they all kind of Teleport together and you just let it go. I also was the kind of person that saved my bomb arrows but I kept screwing up and got tired of it. You can rebuild your weapons you get after defeating the divine beasts by talking in the town you get the main quests from after the fact. It does need special ingredients

I let them group and then froze them all with a Great Iceblade charge attack, followed by repeated charge attacks with a Great Thunderblade. Great fun was had.
Space_nut
(04-20-2017, 11:55 PM)
I barely read anything in here to avoid spoilers but some of the stuff I've read O M G this game is outstanding
akira28
am I an eager baby bird?
am I a cute baby bunny?
(04-21-2017, 12:59 AM)
lol. So I was living up my Apocalypse Now fantasies....Link stealth camo and kneeling on a raft..raft slowly drifting past a camp full of dancing Bokos. Line of Bokos..with a campfire between them and me.

So I shoot my arrows through the campfire, thus making them into fire arrows, and I torch three Bokos before they knew what hit them.

So shooting your arrows through a campfire and directly into the enemy makes them fire arrows.

Also I walked up to collect the loot and there was a flaming Spiked Bokobat. it was Durability Raised and I don't know if it was that way because it was "death flame tempered" or not but that's something I'll look to try next.

I said goddam
Last edited by akira28; 04-21-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Crayolan
(04-21-2017, 01:04 AM)

Originally Posted by akira28

lol. So I was living up my Apocalypse Now fantasies....Link stealth camo and kneeling on a raft..raft slowly drifting past a camp full of dancing Bokos. Line of Bokos between me and the campfire...

So I shoot my arrows through the campfire, thus making them into fire arrows, and I torch three Bokos before they knew what hit them.

So shooting your arrows through a campfire and directly into the enemy makes them fire arrows.

Also I walked up to collect the loot and there was a flaming Spiked Bokobat. it was Durability Raised and I don't know if it was that way because it was "death flame tempered" or not but that's something I'll look to try next.

Shooting arrows through fire to make them fire arrows has been a thing since Ocarina of Time.

You can also just dip your arrow in the fire to light it up.
Anteo
(04-21-2017, 01:06 AM)

lol. So I was living up my Apocalypse Now fantasies....Link stealth camo and kneeling on a raft..raft slowly drifting past a camp full of dancing Bokos. Line of Bokos..with a campfire between them and me.

I said goddam

To be fair, shooting arrows through fire so they become fire arrows has been a thing since OoT. However readying your bow and dipping the tip of the arrow into a firecamp to make fire arrows is new afaik.

Edit: beaten so hard with the same info lmao.
Dark Ninja
(04-21-2017, 01:18 AM)
Hmm didn't know this but if you use an electric type weapon in rain you will get a circular radius of damage when it connects with an enemy, looks simlar to Urbosa's Fury but not that strong.
akira28
am I an eager baby bird?
am I a cute baby bunny?
(04-21-2017, 01:44 AM)
oh..i never played oot...my fault.
Anustart
(04-21-2017, 01:48 AM)
Not mind blowing, just found it lol worthy. Took a long metal walkway plank, a box and a metal boulder. Made me a nice see saw and trying to fling my way over walls.

Sometimes you'll go quite high, and others you'll die as you launch with your corpse flying through the air a bit.
Smellycat
(04-21-2017, 05:58 AM)
OMG I am at 200 hours played, 101 shrines, about to go to final boss and I accidentally just found out that you can change arrows types on the fly lmfao

I have been changing them from the menu this whole time fml
Mistle
(04-21-2017, 08:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Smellycat

OMG I am at 200 hours played, 101 shrines, about to go to final boss and I accidentally just found out that you can change arrows types on the fly lmfao

I have been changing them from the menu this whole time fml

damn that must've been annoying as hell! haha
nephilimdj
(04-21-2017, 10:10 AM)
My stupid horse walked off a cliff, wow its dead forever
SomTervo
(04-21-2017, 10:13 AM)

Originally Posted by nephilimdj

I remember them saying this was a feature before launch. Seems like it'll happen super rarely, though.
Shaanyboi
(04-21-2017, 10:14 AM)
Any tips on triggering the blood moon?

Also I feel compelled to add that I fucking love how unsettling the blood moon is. Especially the first time you see it.
teeny
(04-21-2017, 10:15 AM)

Not nececelery ;)
balgajo
(04-21-2017, 10:21 AM)
Today I pushed that woman near a lake in hateno village and she fell into the water....cool stuff
Crab
Famed for his Europa Universalis IV exploits
(04-21-2017, 10:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Mistle

damn that must've been annoying as hell! haha

My hands are too large to go comfortably from the left joystick to the D-pad quickly, so I have to do it through the menus anyway. :(
EdwardTivrusky
(04-21-2017, 12:09 PM)

Hmmmm...
Nope! There is an arcane way to bring your registered horses back to life. Yay! If you find the right place and speak to the right NPC. There's a hint in the name of a location on the map by a stable and a lake.
wild wild rice
(04-21-2017, 12:19 PM)
Are there any practical or OMG creative ways to use chus beyond starting a fire? I feel like it's sort of a wasted mechanic because ther effect is so weak when it comes to zapping enemies, melting ice, etc.
bronson
(04-21-2017, 04:49 PM)

Originally Posted by wild wild rice

Are there any practical or OMG creative ways to use chus beyond starting a fire? I feel like it's sort of a wasted mechanic because ther effect is so weak when it comes to zapping enemies, melting ice, etc.

Electric Chus can be used for those electricity puzzles. I think that's probably about it?
bronson
(04-21-2017, 05:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Smiles and Cries

I just saw something new I've never seen before

I am just north east of Deplian Badlands it is 9PM and I am just looking down the cliffside
and Fire Keese start to fly towards me but then it started raining, never seen rain up here before. But the Fire Keese lost their fire they started smoking and then they just died. Rain Kills Fire Keese! :O

that is crazy hard to find and capture so I'll be looking to see if I can make a video

Managed to record this happening:

https://gfycat.com/ExemplaryMiserableCygnet

Good find!
TheMoon
(04-21-2017, 06:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Crayolan

Shooting arrows through fire to make them fire arrows has been a thing since Ocarina of Time.

You can also just dip your arrow in the fire to light it up.

Originally Posted by Anteo

To be fair, shooting arrows through fire so they become fire arrows has been a thing since OoT. However readying your bow and dipping the tip of the arrow into a firecamp to make fire arrows is new afaik.

Edit: beaten so hard with the same info lmao.

You guys really should play A Link to the Past some time lol I'm an idiot.

oh..i never played oot...my fault.

They said SINCE. Every Zelda game has it :D

Originally Posted by teeny

Not nececelery ;)

?
Last edited by TheMoon; 04-21-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Anteo
(04-21-2017, 06:47 PM)

You guys really should play A Link to the Past some time lol

Well alttp is that forgetable. And I played that twice

not really I just forgot. Or maybe it wanst required. I really dont remember having used that mechanic at all.