• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

YoRHa No.2 Type B
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:20 AM)
YoRHa No.2 Type B's Avatar
Dear Phantom Thieves,

I kept buying videogames since I was a child. Though the past decade or so, I get bullied by the developers.

They make me to buy overpriced DLC.

No, they don't tell me that I have to buy it but I feel like this is a very high form of scam, these days.

Basically the DLC for Persona 5, is already in the files, once you purchase it, you have it unlocked. No download neccessary.

I find it somehow ridiculous. You have to pay around 100$/€ in order to get these costumes/personas which are already in the files.

I hereby request you, do something about their distorted desires and steal their hearts

I believe in you!
Savantcore
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:23 AM)
Savantcore's Avatar
Unless I'm misunderstanding some perfectly reasonable justification, 'unlock key' DLC really is some shady bullshit. Didn't Resi 5 do this as well?
Orbit_shadow
Junior Member
(04-21-2017, 10:23 AM)
We understand your request and will include this as an extra story DLC in the upcoming months.

Atlus
Kalor
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:24 AM)
Kalor's Avatar
It's already in the files but that's probably because the dlc was already out in Japan. No need to have you download it if it's already developed.
Spman2099
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:25 AM)
Spman2099's Avatar
The DLC is extremely poorly priced. I had said this on other topics, but Atlus would have made much more money from me if they had priced it better. I think is probably the case with most people. It isn't like they are going to rake in big bucks from the "whales" either, as they can only milk them for a hundred bucks or so. I think they really stifled their own DLC sales through the pricing of them.

Too late now, I suppose. Still, it was a dumb move on their part.
YoRHa No.2 Type B
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:25 AM)
YoRHa No.2 Type B's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kalor

It's already in the files but that's probably because the dlc was already out in Japan. No need to have you download it if it's already developed.

Nope, all the DLC was in the files already when it was released in japan. Someone leaked all of it when it wasn't official released in japan.

Originally Posted by Joyful

if the dlc is on the disc why are they staggering release dates for it
its baffling

To keep the game going, I guess.
Joyful
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:26 AM)
Joyful's Avatar
if the dlc is on the disc why are they staggering release dates for it
its baffling
Nightbird
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:27 AM)
Nightbird's Avatar
I would love to buy some of the DLC, but the pricing is just too awful.
texasairhead101
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:27 AM)
texasairhead101's Avatar
yo, you want your anime then you gots to pay for it.

its a 100 hr game. 60 is a steal already.
Sourtreats
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:28 AM)
Sourtreats's Avatar
Didn't they do this with Gears of War 2/3? I remember it being very popular on the 360 with the most first bits of DLC being less than a mb in size which was just the download key. Shady practises indeed.
Marmaladefire
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:28 AM)
Marmaladefire's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kalor

It's already in the files but that's probably because the dlc was already out in Japan. No need to have you download it if it's already developed.

It's this I think. They pretty much just stuck everything on the disc and they're charging you to access it. Personally I think DLC would have been a nice way to make up for the delay, but..
Spman2099
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:29 AM)
Spman2099's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joyful

if the dlc is on the disc why are they staggering release dates for it
its baffling

They think they will be able to sell more packs if they release them a week apart. Personally, I think this is another mistake, as very few people are going to buy costumes for a game they have already beaten (and more and more people are going to complete it with every week that passes).

It sucks that the developers made such a great game, only for the marketing team to pull a faceplant and damage some of the good will the game itself built up (while possibly undermining sales).
YoRHa No.2 Type B
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:30 AM)
YoRHa No.2 Type B's Avatar

Originally Posted by Marmaladefire

It's this I think. They pretty much just stuck everything on the disc and they're charging you to access it. Personally I think DLC would have been a nice way to make up for the delay, but..

No, that's not the case. In japanese version you don't have to download it either.
TheBowen
Sat alone in a boggy marsh
(04-21-2017, 10:30 AM)
TheBowen's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joyful

if the dlc is on the disc why are they staggering release dates for it
its baffling

Seems to me like they want to release the DLC over time so people buy it more

If they released all 13 DLC's in one go people would buy one and wouldn't buy the rest because of price, but releasing one by one makes it easier for people to stomach the price so they may buy 2 or 3

Atleast that's what I think
Salamando
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:30 AM)
Salamando's Avatar

Originally Posted by Savantcore

Unless I'm misunderstanding some perfectly reasonable justification, 'unlock key' DLC really is some shady bullshit. Didn't Resi 5 do this as well?

On disc DLC has been around since the PS360 days. Hundreds have games have done it. Frankly I've never got the hubbub over it. I don't feel better about spending $7 on a costume pack just because I also had to wait two seconds for it to download.
Benzychenz
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:32 AM)
Benzychenz's Avatar
I mean, it's just silly costumes. Buy it if you want to, don't buy it if you don't.
True Fire
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:33 AM)
True Fire's Avatar
Enjoy Persona 5 before the Great Milking starts, because you're going to hate this game in a few years.
YoRHa No.2 Type B
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:34 AM)
YoRHa No.2 Type B's Avatar

Originally Posted by Benzychenz

I mean, it's just silly costumes. Buy it if you want to, don't buy it if you don't.

These things actually break somewhat the game. Especially the Personas as you get them for free the first time. You can get Thanatos which is around level 60, when you are level 5, which is ridiculous.

And the DLC costumes, include very good accessories aswell.
Atolm
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:34 AM)
Atolm's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joyful

if the dlc is on the disc why are they staggering release dates for it
its baffling

My guess is because some of the extra Personas are very high level (80+) and they are available to summon for free the first time, and contrary to fusions, they don't have a level requirement. Which means you can totally break the game in April (in-game), in your first run.

I have Izanagi from digital pre-ordering. He starts at lvl 20 and is already broken enough, to the point you don't need any other for the first 3 Palaces or so. He gets Growth 3 at lvl28 (a regularly 50+ skill) and mine got Null Phys and Wind from Igor. I'm at lvl 48 and I still use him.
Last edited by Atolm; 04-21-2017 at 10:38 AM.
batfax
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:40 AM)
batfax's Avatar
The most annoying thing is probably that the Persona 3 and 4 outfits were free DLC for preordering in Japan, and the Persona 1 DLC is free in Japan as well. Asking $6.99 just for not living in the right region is pretty ridiculous.
TI82
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:45 AM)
TI82's Avatar
What gets me about the Persona 5 DLC is that they don't change the dialog animation. I don't expect them to redraw all the cutscenes for the game but they should at least change the little picture of the person talking to the new outfit, and the battle success screen too.
Voras
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:49 AM)
Voras's Avatar
The Phantom Thieves can't steal a heart without a name.

Also yes, the price of the dlc is too high.
Marmaladefire
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:49 AM)
Marmaladefire's Avatar

Originally Posted by True Fire

Enjoy Persona 5 before the Great Milking starts, because you're going to hate this game in a few years.

I'm very confidant that P5 Dance Until You Die will be 100% quality, and a wonderful companion to the Shibuya Summer Fun OVA, which will also completely respect the orginal game and its characters /s
sephi22
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:50 AM)
sephi22's Avatar
I just got the game. The Catherine DLC isn't out yet?
SuicidalSteve
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:53 AM)
SuicidalSteve's Avatar

Originally Posted by YoRHa No.2 Type B

Dear Phantom Thieves,

I kept buying videogames since I was a child. Though the past decade or so, I get bullied by the developers.

They make me to buy overpriced DLC.

No, they don't tell me that I have to buy it but I feel like this is a very high form of scam, these days.

Basically the DLC for Persona 5, is already in the files, once you purchase it, you have it unlocked. No download neccessary.

I find it somehow ridiculous. You have to pay around 100$/€ in order to get these costumes/personas which are already in the files.

I hereby request you, do something about their distorted desires and steal their hearts

I believe in you!

There's no time for that now, you need to get to sleep!
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(04-21-2017, 10:53 AM)
duckroll's Avatar
Dear Phantom Thieves, can you try to change their hearts by this weekend so all the remaining DLC appear on the store? The release schedule is baffling because I want to be bullied and robbed of more of my money. Need those Catherine and Raidou costumes.

- A Weak Willed Gamer
K.E. Keith
Junior Member
(04-21-2017, 10:57 AM)
K.E. Keith's Avatar


bedtime
marmoka
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:07 AM)
marmoka's Avatar
So the DLCs are already in the discs??
Then we all paid for something that it's locked, and we need to pay more to unlock something we already paid for??

I'm really considering to make a complain in the consumer's office in the city I live. We all should do the same. This cannot be tolerated.
kromeo
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:22 AM)
kromeo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Marmaladefire

I'm very confidant that P5 Dance Until You Die will be 100% quality, and a wonderful companion to the Shibuya Summer Fun OVA, which will also completely respect the orginal game and its characters /s

You mean you don't want to see characters from a game you love doing 70s disco moves?
SomedayTheFire
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:23 AM)
SomedayTheFire's Avatar

Originally Posted by marmoka

So the DLCs are already in the discs??
Then we all paid for something that it's locked, and we need to pay more to unlock something we already paid for??

I'm really considering to make a complain in the consumer's office in the city I live. We all should do the same. This cannot be tolerated.

have fun. there's nothing legally wrong with it.
marmoka
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:40 AM)
marmoka's Avatar

Originally Posted by SomedayTheFire

have fun. there's nothing legally wrong with it.

You are right, I've been researching and there is nothing we can do.

This world really sucks. And is getting worse every day.
RalchAC
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:41 AM)
RalchAC's Avatar
Dear Phantom Thieves,

Atlus has refused to localize Persona 5 in more lenguages than in English, despite knowing that the game was going to sell like hotcakes. Please, produce a change of heart in them so Persona 6 is localized in EFIGS, like a worldwide brand should.

I'll bake some pancakes as a reward.

Yours faithfully,

RalchAC
iRAWRasaurus
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:44 AM)
iRAWRasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Spman2099

They think they will be able to sell more packs if they release them a week apart. Personally, I think this is another mistake, as very few people are going to buy costumes for a game they have already beaten (and more and more people are going to complete it with every week that passes).

It sucks that the developers made such a great game, only for the marketing team to pull a faceplant and damage some of the good will the game itself built up (while possibly undermining sales).

It's a 100 hours game. I don't think majority of people are going to finish it in a few weeks.
Mustang 00
Junior Member
(04-21-2017, 11:44 AM)
Mustang 00's Avatar
I might be spending $30 on DLC this weekend. I don't know why I am doing this.
StereoVsn
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:45 AM)
StereoVsn's Avatar
It can't be helped. OP just needs rehabilitation.

DLC release and pricing policy, even when compared with Japan which saw free P1, P3, P4, Catherine costumes is ridiculous.
koutoru
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:45 AM)
koutoru's Avatar

Originally Posted by YoRHa No.2 Type B

Dear Phantom Thieves,

I kept buying videogames since I was a child. Though the past decade or so, I get bullied by the developers.

I thought you agreed that upon playing this game that you agreed that this is a work of fiction.
Someone didn't follow the contract.
graywolf323
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:49 AM)
graywolf323's Avatar

Originally Posted by iRAWRasaurus

It's a 100 hours game. I don't think majority of people are going to finish it in a few weeks.

the die hard fans that would buy costume DLC (at a less insane price) would

just look at how far in the game people posting in the OT are on avg
RalchAC
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:50 AM)
RalchAC's Avatar

Originally Posted by koutoru

I thought you agreed that upon playing this game that you agreed that this is a work of fiction.
Someone didn't follow the contract.

Nobody reads consumer contracts though.
Unaha-Closp
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:51 AM)
Unaha-Closp's Avatar
I'm holding out for the free swimsuit costumes and in my NG+ they will all be running around freezing their asses off in swimwear. That aside the pricing on these costumes is suspicious after all. Sheesh - no wait wrong game.
iRAWRasaurus
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:53 AM)
iRAWRasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by graywolf323

the die hard fans that would buy costume DLC (at a less insane price) would

just look at how far in the game people posting in the OT are on avg

There's a reason why I said majority of people.
dan2026
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:57 AM)
dan2026's Avatar
It feels wrong that we don't legally have access to all the data on a disc we own.
graywolf323
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:03 PM)
graywolf323's Avatar

Originally Posted by iRAWRasaurus

There's a reason why I said majority of people.

the majority of people were never going to buy costume DLC in the first place
ActWan
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:03 PM)
ActWan's Avatar
I just hate these things...if it's on the disc already, let us play it! Why charge money for it?
I generally have no problem with DLCs that come out AFTER the game has been released, because they worked on it after they finished the game and then put it out which I can accept. But content that was developed with the game and was put on disc is locked behind a payment wall? gtfo
pizzacat
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:05 PM)
pizzacat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joyful

if the dlc is on the disc why are they staggering release dates for it
its baffling

I mean you should have asked that question when the Japanese version already been had this so what's the point of the stagger x 2

And the answer for most of these questions is atlus does it because they know they can?

That's why they're releasing a remake of strange journey with art that got hit with a sponge

Or why they charged $10 extra for all their 3ds games
chandoog
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:06 PM)
chandoog's Avatar
They'll never see it coming.
iRAWRasaurus
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:06 PM)
iRAWRasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by graywolf323

the majority of people were never going to buy costume DLC in the first place

And according to this thread, majority of the hardcore fan are not going to buy the DLC. So that leaves who then.
Neku89
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:19 PM)
Neku89's Avatar
The worst part is that the DLC isn't even cross-buy. I'm not spending 14€ for the same DLC on PS3 and PS4.
Novel Mike
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:39 PM)
Novel Mike's Avatar
It is rather ironic a game about stealing the hearts from greedy and corrupt adults also has Atlus just being outright offensive with its DLC costs. Tales of Beseria was also quite terrible with this as well.

I'm just not going to buy any of it. All of this shit used to be just built into the game as a bonus mechanic to reward you from doing various things but now its just used to nickle and dime fans and frankly I've had enough. I won't spend a dime on the shit and I hope no one else does either.
bishopcruz
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:58 PM)
bishopcruz's Avatar
I have to be honest. If the Persona 2 costumes were better, I would have bought them. Instead it's basically everyone in the Seven Sisters high school costumes. I mean come on, make Makoto Ulala, make Yusuke Jin, make Ryuji MIchelle, do some friggen level of work and I'll give you my money. Not this weak ass crap.

I also love how we have to play for the P1, 3, and 4 sets here, even if we bought the Take Your Heart edition. Seriously, Atlus lost a LOT of goodwill with this release.
Lord of Castamere
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:01 PM)
Lord of Castamere's Avatar
Eh. It's a microtransaction. Don't buy, and enjoy the game. You don't need it.

Thread Tools