• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

kyser73
(04-21-2017, 12:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Dizastah

Difficulty is just right for me. Not too hard, not too easy.

Yup, I'm playing on normal & am finding the challenge/ability balance to be really satisfying, and I really love the combat. Very satisfying to plan an encounter, have some of it work and then have to improvise, and the UI and combat crafting are great.
Noisepurge
(04-21-2017, 12:16 PM)
it is a bit difficult yeah, since it feels like an all new kindof game in a sense as you really need to learn the trapping and preparation mechanics. Especially when you never really get any more durability (besides the unlockable regen-armor) and Aloy can often be one-shotted from big attacks.

But it's very rewarding when you learn how to move, prepare and set traps to take down the most chaotic fights :D
Scher
(04-21-2017, 12:19 PM)
I played Horizon on very hard and didn't have too much of an issue with it, but it's definitely a game that's all about preparation. The game gives you access to a lot of very powerful tools and provides you with multiple ways to disable or greatly damage an enemy through either the tools you have or the parts that are present on a machine. I can definitely understand how things can get pretty out of hand if you don't have the right tools for the situation prepared, but traps and canisters on a machine's body can go a long way towards taking it down quickly.

After beating it, I kind of would love a Monster Hunter style game with Horizon's machines.
Last edited by Scher; 04-21-2017 at 02:36 PM.
TheChewyWaffles
(04-21-2017, 12:26 PM)

Originally Posted by autoduelist

Battles probably took forever because, as you said, you were overwhelmed by the combat model. I can take down anything pretty darn fast, even Thunderjaws. Knock it's primary off, tie it down, freeze it, hit it in the heart, etc.

That's true, but I never got past the "OK, which arrow type am I supposed to be using?" after scanning the beasts. Like, maybe it would have helped if their vulnerable parts were color coded or something. On top of that, each arrow (or bow?) type also had different capabilities - some were clearly better at some things (fire) but also could do other types of damage. In the end, with my limited gaming time it just made me fire up COD since everything is so familiar in that game.
Salty Rice
(04-21-2017, 12:29 PM)
Had no problems at all.

Guess its maybe hard for people who dont play many games.
silver.tongue
(04-21-2017, 12:30 PM)
You need to be smart OP.

Only fight that usually takes too long is against rockbreakers. Exploit weaknesses. Tie them down. Detach armor. Hit cannisters with their weak element. Trip the bigger guys. Freeze them and use the damaging sling.

Difficulty in this game was perfect.
SoundLad
(04-21-2017, 12:31 PM)
Thanks for the tips. I didn't even realise that Tinker was an ability in the skill tree -_-

I don't think I can override Tramplers just yet and I definitely don't have a bow with corruption arrows so maybe I missed something along the way.
Orcastar
(04-21-2017, 12:32 PM)
Horizon was refreshingly challenging on hard compared to most open world games, I ended up dying quite a few times and actually had to use traps and come up with strategies.
Mimosa97
(04-21-2017, 12:32 PM)

Originally Posted by kvothe

Sorry, probably came across as snarky, but it was meant to be playful. No malice intended.

Oops my bad.

Cheers mate :)
benicillin
(04-21-2017, 12:33 PM)
Lots of interesting responses in this thread. I played on hard and thought the game was a bit easy, personally.
StrongBlackVine
Banned
(04-21-2017, 12:33 PM)

Originally Posted by silver.tongue

You need to be smart OP.

Only fight that usually takes too long is against rockbreakers. Exploit weaknesses. Tie them down. Detach armor. Hit cannisters with their weak element. Trip the bigger guys. Freeze them and use the damaging sling.

Difficulty in this game was perfect.

Rockbreakers become a joke once you remove their 4 digging mechanisms. They are a pain the ass until then though.
davidnolan13
(04-21-2017, 12:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Griss

I found it fairly easy. Only enemies that really gave me trouble were the Rockbreakers, who were seriously hard. Thunderjaws were disappointingly easy.

Easy or not though, it was always fun fighting those machines.

Motherfucking rockbreakers. One on one was ok but add in another or other enemies argh.
Thunder jaws were just fun to fight.

Later on i enjoyed running through camps pretending to be green arrow.
Mortimer Brewster
Didn't find at that difficult even on Very Hard. As long as you planned out your approach and took your time moat encounters were prett easy. It's not a game that you can Rambo through. If you bite off more then you can chew ie aggroing all enemies or one of the big ones while fighting the small ones, the game is capable of laying the Smackdown on you. Also once you learn the limits of the enemy ai there are a number of easily cheesable tricks to handle tougher foes.
hemo memo

Originally Posted by sn00zer

Slightly off topic, but Horizon has legitimately one of if not the best "battle systems" of any game I ever played. Really fantastic mix of tight controls, dexterity, preplanning, unpredictability, feedback rewards, combination experimentation, interesting and varied enemies, etc.

Honestly I cannot find a single fault with the machine fighting in Horizon. It's just perfect.

+Off topic
Horizon or Nier:A?
ktroopa
(04-21-2017, 01:34 PM)
I just bought this, what is the recommended difficulty to play on?
Goose_Se7en
Banned
(04-21-2017, 01:43 PM)

Originally Posted by ktroopa

I played it on normal and found encounters easy at times. Then again I always sneaked around the tall grass and picked enemies apart using arrows that exposed weaknesses and hitting the machines at their weak points. If you play the game this way then you shouldn't have any issues on normal.
Alpende
(04-21-2017, 01:52 PM)

I started on Very Hard and found it satisfying when taking down machines. In the beginning you're gonna die a bunch of times but it gets better.

You can always adjust your difficulty during the game so that's nice.
Jumeira
(04-21-2017, 01:54 PM)
This is music to my ears (Hard being...hard). A good way to kill a game is if there's no sense of threat or danger.
StrongBlackVine
Banned
(04-21-2017, 01:55 PM)

If you are a skilled gamer then normal will be too easy.
Vooduu
(04-21-2017, 01:55 PM)
I found it to be easy but not too easy. It was enjoyable. Rarely ever died tbh.
Animagne
(04-21-2017, 01:56 PM)
I think the difficulty on very hard was great in the beginning, requiring you to stealth and use traps and make sure you hit the weak spots. However, on first Thunderjaw I just gave up because I was doing very little damage and died very easily, so ended up finishing game on normal. Could have increased the difficulty once I gotten more powerful, but by that point it was too fun being OP and I just wanted to finish story / platinum.
cLOUDo
(04-21-2017, 02:00 PM)
I have Two words for you...

git gud corruption bow
Gafito
(04-21-2017, 02:03 PM)
i played in hard, since early until mid was very difficult, but in late, when i had all weapons and skills it was pretty easy.
SkyTurnsRed
(04-21-2017, 02:05 PM)
I'm not finding it too difficult, I'm just having difficulty enjoying the game at all. Does the game drastically change at all once you get to Meridian? I'm finding the writing to be a little bit too much of an exposition dump, and I'm not as engaged with the combat as some seem to be. I tend to not really love open world games either.
Spyware
(04-21-2017, 02:21 PM)

Originally Posted by SkyTurnsRed

I'm not finding it too difficult, I'm just having difficulty enjoying the game at all. Does the game drastically change at all once you get to Meridian? I'm finding the writing to be a little bit too much of an exposition dump, and I'm not as engaged with the combat as some seem to be. I tend to not really love open world games either.

Have you bought all available weapons already (almost everything is buyable at Daytower) then no it won't change at all. Doesn't seem to be a game for you I'd say.
Hybris
(04-21-2017, 02:34 PM)
Difficulty was perfect on Very Hard, if a bit easy toward then end. Combat was structured that if you were smart about how you approached it, even very large machines can be taken down in seconds. Whereas if you aren't exploiting their weaknesses they can take multiple minutes and way way more resources.

Originally Posted by SkyTurnsRed

Exposition dump ramps up significantly as you progress in the game actually... I didn't mind it, but as I was playing it I knew there would be a lot of people turned off by it.
Miniature Kaiju
(04-21-2017, 02:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Falchion

Not even a Sharpshot Bow?

I went without it because tearblast arrows make the game much, much easier and precision arrows can largely be replaced by hardpoints. Harvest arrows could've been useful, though, because you'll be hunting for resources quite a bit - so, if you restrict yourself to only using the sharpshot for harvest, you could carry it around, I guess.

The way I played it, I carried around two of each bow, each one fully modded for a stat/stat combo: a damage/tear hunter, a fire hunter, freeze war, shock war.
GifGafIsTheBestGaf
(04-21-2017, 02:39 PM)
the game sure had some difficulty spikes, i had a lot of trouble with stalkers tbh
BladeoftheImmortal
(04-21-2017, 02:41 PM)
Those driller monsters were never easy.
noomi
(04-21-2017, 02:42 PM)
dodge dodge dodge
roll roll roll

Initially the game can be a bit difficult, you are not prepared to deal with different types of machines, but once you pick up new weapons and gear it become much easier.

Also, if you are fighting and get surrounded by 3 - 4 other machines... yeah :p
zackmorris
(04-21-2017, 02:45 PM)
I'd say it was difficult at times. Also probably depends on how much side content you did. I was a decent level with pretty good weapons and armor from doing side quests, it's probably pretty hard if you just mainline the story quests.

As far as the souls comments, it's not like you have to be good at video games to beat souls games. I'm not good at games at all, and I managed fine. It's just about adapting your play style to what the game wants. For my builds it was always slow and methodical when it came to combat.
GifGafIsTheBestGaf
(04-21-2017, 02:47 PM)
ah yes out of everything in the game behemoths were the toughest for me until i got the shield weaver armor
Melchiah
(04-21-2017, 04:19 PM)

Originally Posted by BladeoftheImmortal

Those driller monsters were never easy.

The first encounter with Behemoths, two of them and a couple of Longlegs, wasn't a walk in the park either.
ktroopa
(04-21-2017, 05:20 PM)

Originally Posted by StrongBlackVine

If you are a skilled gamer then normal will be too easy.

cool. im gona give hard mode a shot :)
Toe-Knee
(04-21-2017, 05:26 PM)
I found out a bit too easy on hard after the first hour or so.

I even restricted myself armour wise as they all had stupid looking head pieces after the second one.

So no is pretty easy overall IMHO.
Goronmon
(04-21-2017, 05:47 PM)
Does anyone else feel that the difficulty settings don't actually make that much of impact on the game overall?

I beat the game on Normal without too much trouble (died a bunch, because I get too impatient, or because I want to see how much of a section I can stealth through). So I started a new game on Very Hard...and the game just doesn't seem anymore difficult. You maybe take a bit more damage when hit, but I'm cruising through the early sections without an issue.

And to answer OP's question. I think the game gives you the tools to make the game easy overall, but small mistakes can get you killed pretty quickly. Also, dodging too early during enemy attacks can get you into trouble, as something I noticed. At one point I had to force myself to wait on hitting dodge, because doing it too early out of a bad habit and later enemies will punish you for that pretty hard.
Last edited by Goronmon; 04-21-2017 at 05:52 PM.
blly155
(04-21-2017, 05:49 PM)
I found it quite easy. It did get quite tough at one point but once I had upgraded a bit then it was back to smooth sailing. For what it's worth I have played Dark Souls/Bloodborne.