• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Dio
Banned
(04-21-2017, 11:37 AM)
http://gematsu.com/2017/04/ys-viii-ps4-goes-gold

https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/stat...91196926709764

No more delays expected, May 25th for the JP release. Set to release in the West this fall through NISA, alongside a PC version for that western release. Development complete. 1080p 60fps.

Short recap:

Ys 8 PS4 has new music and new content that wasn't in the original Vita version. It's assumed the PC version will be based on the PS4 version. It also has a new difficulty setting, Inferno.

A short bit of footage from one of the new Dana areas (made a thread here: http://neogaf.site/forum/showthread.php?t=1360017) as they acknowledged the Dana parts of Ys 8 needed more fleshing out so more content was added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdxSEys36kA

As reference - Tokyo Xanadu ex+, the PS4 version of Tokyo Xanadu from Vita also from Falcom, had an entire CD's worth of new music and quite a bit of new content including more chapters, new playable characters and new bosses. We'll see just how much stuff got added to Ys 8 once it comes out.

If you want to get a feel of the game, the Ys 8 PS4 demo is available free to download on Japanese PSN so you can play it in 1080p60 for yourself.
Last edited by Dio; 04-21-2017 at 12:10 PM.
AkelisRain
(04-21-2017, 11:48 AM)
I can not wait for this, one of my most anticipated games.
Gu4n
(04-21-2017, 11:49 AM)
I'm so ready -- Ys VIII was my GOTY of last year. Platinum-ed the Vita version two weeks ago when I saw how much of a difference the improved framerate of the PS4 version makes.
Dio
Banned
(04-21-2017, 11:52 AM)

Originally Posted by AkelisRain

I can not wait for this, one of my most anticipated games.

Everyone I know who's played it was really happy with how good it is. Blows Celceta out of the water.

Jumping is back, it's 60fps on PS4, there's an absolute ton of content, the story actually turned out to be really good (way better than how Celceta was set up,) etc. All I hear is praise, except in the realm of graphics, which is to be expected since this is a Vita game with a few graphical tweaks to look better on PS4.

Anyway. I am really happy this game had longer to cook in the oven. When they showed off the first trailer for Ys 8 the dinosaur boss was basically jumping in T-pose and the game looked super early and undercooked. I am very glad they delayed the game, because the fact they delayed the game to make it a ton better really shows.
Rixa
(04-21-2017, 12:03 PM)
How long is typical playthru? This might be my first touch to Ys world when it gets western release.
jonno394
Banned
(04-21-2017, 12:06 PM)
Loved Celceta on Vita, so if this is more of the same (or better) i'll be buying this when NISA bring it over.
Dio
Banned
(04-21-2017, 12:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Rixa

How long is typical playthru? This might be my first touch to Ys world when it gets western release.

40-60 hours for the Vita version. There are sidequests and stuff you don't have to do.

That being said, PS4 has more content so who knows how long it is now.

http://gematsu.com/2016/07/ys-viii-4...hes-2017-japan

Dengeki PlayStation also reviewed Ys VIII in this issue, giving it a 90, 95, 90, and 90 between four reviewers. The magazine says its traditional story is exciting, menu controls are favorable, maps are convenient and informative, battles are crisp and smooth, dashes are fast, and warps are handy. As for the negatives, it says that camera control might take some getting used to, load times are slightly long when switching between maps, and party members don’t participate much when fighting smaller enemies.

The load times thing has been almost completely eliminated from the PS4 version, since they go by lightning quick (less than a second sometimes) compared to the longer Vita load times.
Kain-Nosgoth
(04-21-2017, 12:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Rixa

this one is the longest, i beat it 100% in 38 hours

Ys origin in comparison is like 7-8 hours

Even though i loved YS VIII, the new gameplay isn't as cool as the YS 6-Felghana-Origin type of gameplay!

Anyway, can't wait to replay it in 60 fps and hear the new music!
Last edited by Kain-Nosgoth; 04-21-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Rixa
(04-21-2017, 12:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Dio

40-60 hours for the Vita version. There are sidequests and stuff you don't have to do.

That being said, PS4 has more content so who knows how long it is now.

The load times thing has been almost completely eliminated from the PS4 version, since they go by lightning quick (less than a second sometimes) compared to the longer Vita load times.

Originally Posted by Kain-Nosgoth

Even though i loved YS VIII, the new gameplay isn't as cool as the YS 6-Felghana-Origin type of gameplay!

Thank you both!
fushi
(04-21-2017, 12:17 PM)
Can't wait for the PC version. It'll be an instant purchase if the price is reasonable.
WanPisu
(04-21-2017, 12:20 PM)
Yes! In my veins!
Kresnik258
(04-21-2017, 12:22 PM)
First game in a while I'm gonna double-dip on, can't wait :)
Thud
(04-21-2017, 12:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Kain-Nosgoth

Isn't Origin more like 20 if you do all the routes.
Tonton
(04-21-2017, 12:35 PM)
I'm kinda really excited for this release but only because of that Cold Steel 3 artbook coming with it

Will d1 the Western PC release probably

Originally Posted by fushi

Can't wait for the PC version. It'll be an instant purchase if the price is reasonable.

The PS4 version is $60 so it'll probably be that
Eccocid
(04-21-2017, 12:35 PM)
Is Vita version Japan only?
Tonton
(04-21-2017, 12:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Eccocid

No, it's coming too, but it's probably gonna be missing the content added in the PS4 version
Dio
Banned
(04-21-2017, 12:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Eccocid

No, we're getting Vita too.

Game's still good on Vita, but it's 30 with quite a lot of FPS drops and less content. Up to you if that's still your thing, people loved the game even with the drops - Ys Celceta had major framerate issues on Vita too.
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(04-21-2017, 12:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Tonton

I'm kinda really excited for this release but only because of that Cold Steel 3 artbook coming with it

Will d1 the Western PC release probably

I'm guessing the PC version will be $40 or $50. I don't see them pricing it at $60.

Edit: I just came up with that opinion 20 seconds ago
nailbombxx
God I need this game. Will get it on PC!
fushi

Hmm. :/

I suppose the previous games were cheap on Steam due to their age.

But I do think $60 is a bit steep, $40 would be the perfect price for this kind of game (I love them, but they're really low budget)

Pretty much. I want to support Falcom but I can't remember the last time I bought a new game at the AAA-tier full price. Maybe MGS4 or something.

Lower-priced ones I always buy, though.
Last edited by fushi; 04-21-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Tonton
(04-21-2017, 12:54 PM)

Originally Posted by gdt

I'm guessing the PC version will be $40 or $50. I don't see them pricing it at $60.

Edit: I just came up with that opinion 20 seconds ago

no way it's $40, $50 is possible but I don't see it
I don't think we had any big release like this for NISA on Steam yet so there's no point for comparison

Originally Posted by fushi

Hmm. :/

I suppose the previous games were cheap on Steam due to their age.

Pretty much, this one was always gonna be a lot more expensive being a new game releasing alongside console versions
But I do think $60 is a bit steep, $40 would be the perfect price for this kind of game (I love them, but they're really low budget)
At least this one is fairly lengthy, specially if it can have as much replayability as Origin where I put 75 hours into
Guymelef
Banned
(04-21-2017, 12:56 PM)
September un western markets, right?
Iriscomeback
(04-21-2017, 12:58 PM)
Oh wow this looks pretty good! Loved Celceta on the Vita so will give this a go for sure.
Tonton
(04-21-2017, 01:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Guymelef

September un western markets, right?

I think NISA only said Fall 2017
Dio
Banned
(04-21-2017, 01:12 PM)

Speaking of NISA, I really hope they do a good job on translating this game. I've seen people saying 'wtf it's Ys man at least they didn't get a game with a STORY.' No. This game has a story - a good one - and I really do hope NISA lives up to the standard that XSEED has brought by essentially singlehandedly re-popularizing Falcom games in the West and delivering an extremely likeable and enjoyable, while not taking TOO many liberties, translation.

I know people have complained about many of their previous translations or lack of support when it comes to their smaller titles (a complete lack of any patches or translation fixes for some games) so I really do hope they knock this out of the park, and also keep series terminology consistent.
Gu4n
(04-21-2017, 01:13 PM)

I love them, but they're really low budget

Ys VIII dismisses the low-budget image of the series while maintaining the quality and fun of its predecessors. The production values were in-sane for Vita standards. I'm sure I screamed 'How can my Vita not be melting' multiple times during the game.

This game went so far beyond the potential I ever saw for the Ys series as a whole, it's mind-blowing. I didn't describe it as the "Ao of Ys" -- how stupid that may sound -- for no reason.

Originally Posted by Dio

Speaking of NISA, I really hope they do a good job on translating this game. I've seen people saying 'wtf it's Ys man at least they didn't get a game with a STORY.' No. This game has a story - a good one - and I really do hope NISA lives up to the standard that XSEED has brought by essentially singlehandedly re-popularizing Falcom games in the West and delivering an extremely likeable and enjoyable, while not taking TOO many liberties, translation.

I know people have complained about many of their previous translations or lack of support when it comes to their smaller titles (a complete lack of any patches or translation fixes for some games) so I really do hope they knock this out of the park, and also keep series terminology consistent.

I have very little experience with NISA's localisations so I'll refrain from commenting on the localisation job until I've played it.
Dio
Banned
(04-21-2017, 01:15 PM)
I have also heard some people call Ys 8 "the best Ys ever made."

Don't want to get people TOO hyped up, but some people really adore this game.
squall211
(04-21-2017, 01:21 PM)
Those videos are buttery smooth. Very nice.
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(04-21-2017, 01:21 PM)
So did anyone who actually dislikes Ys7 and Celceta's new direction for Ys ever play this? I don't care about the opinions for this from anyone who actually likes Celceta.
Guymelef
Banned
(04-21-2017, 01:22 PM)

Ok, I saw a Facebook banner with September 26 date, but NISA changed it and:

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana Hello! That was an honest mistake on my part; we accidentally updated the cover photo with the Danganronpa V3 release date. The Ys VIII release date has not been announced yet and will be updated soon. Thank you and we sincerely apologize for the confusion!

Tonton
(04-21-2017, 01:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Gu4n

Ys VIII dismisses the low-budget image of the series while maintaining the quality and fun of its predecessors. The production values were in-sane for Vita standards. I'm sure I screamed 'How can my Vita not be melting' multiple times during the game.

This game went so far beyond the potential I ever saw for the Ys series as a whole, it's mind-blowing. I didn't describe it as the "Ao of Ys" -- how stupid that may sound -- for no reason.

Yeah I do think Ys VIII looks like Falcom's best Vita game visually
I still sometimes think it looks better than CS3
Kain-Nosgoth
(04-21-2017, 01:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Thud

Isn't Origin more like 20 if you do all the routes.

yeah i was talking with one route
Dio
Banned
(04-21-2017, 02:12 PM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

So did anyone who actually dislikes Ys7 and Celceta's new direction for Ys ever play this? I don't care about the opinions for this from anyone who actually likes Celceta.

All I know is that there was at least one person I've talked to who went into Ys 8 expecting the worst after playing Celceta and ended up loving it.

Yeah I do think Ys VIII looks like Falcom's best Vita game visually
I still sometimes think it looks better than CS3

We'll see for sure. CS3 looks incredible but I don't know how downsampled or bullshotted the game really is. The shots we have seen make it look like a higher budget game than they've ever done.
Last edited by Dio; 04-21-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Dio
Banned
(04-21-2017, 03:20 PM)
Oops, superfluous post.
Last edited by Dio; 04-21-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Dio
Banned
(04-21-2017, 04:53 PM)
Oh, and I just remembered.

Falcom caved in a sense, on ng+ there's a mode where Adol's wep can change attack style (strike, pierce etc) and you can play solo adol, no party members.
heckmanimation
(04-21-2017, 04:56 PM)
Is this a good jumping in point on the series? always wanted to give it a whirl
Dio
Banned
(04-21-2017, 04:57 PM)

Originally Posted by heckmanimation

Is this a good jumping in point on the series? always wanted to give it a whirl

All of the Ys titles are self contained stories except for Ys I&II (which could be considered a duology) and Origin (a prequel to 1 and 2).

You don't need to know anything about the series to get involved.
Eila
(04-21-2017, 05:04 PM)
... Logicool? That's what Logitech is known as in Japan or something?
Dio
Banned
(04-21-2017, 05:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Eila

... Logicool? That's what Logitech is known as in Japan or something?

Yes, actually. Another company had the name taken before Logitech moved into the market, so it was changed.
Asd202
(04-21-2017, 05:40 PM)
I'm intrested.
Acid08
Soap -> Mouth
(04-21-2017, 05:46 PM)

No, it's coming too, but it's probably gonna be missing the content added in the PS4 version

NIS conveniently still hiding this despite taking pre-orders. Wish they would clarify the version differences.
Shizuka
(04-21-2017, 06:55 PM)
Fall 2017 can't come soon enough.
Tohsaka
(04-21-2017, 06:59 PM)
The demo was great, looking forward to the full game.
sprinkles
(04-21-2017, 07:00 PM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

I absolutely love Ys6, Oath and Origin. I tried to get into Celceta twice, but dropped it both times 2-3 hours in. I did not like the changed gameplay but what really killed my enthusiasm was the god awful frame rate on the Vita.
Aokage
Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
(04-21-2017, 07:26 PM)
So much excite.

Originally Posted by Dio

If you want to get a feel of the game, the Ys 8 PS4 demo is available free to download on Japanese PSN so you can play it in 1080p60 for yourself.

4k/60, actually! The UI is definitely native 3840x2160, but in-game may be rendering at a slightly lower resolution. Not sure.
Wagram
(04-21-2017, 07:28 PM)
I'm excited. Ys is one of my favorite franchises and I like the Celceta like story so i'm all in!
Dio
Banned
(04-22-2017, 04:42 AM)

Originally Posted by Aokage

So much excite.

4k/60, actually! The UI is definitely native 3840x2160, but in-game may be rendering at a slightly lower resolution. Not sure.

Oh shit I had no idea. Gonna go back to it to take a look.
Theswweet
(04-22-2017, 04:44 AM)
I imported and played this last July, and it's a fantastic game. I'm still kind of shocked it's hitting this year in the west! I hope folks enjoy it, this was my GOTY 2016.
Ashby
(04-22-2017, 04:44 AM)
I'm a very casual observer of the Ys series, is this the first 3D, third person, behind the back camera entry? Every one I've seen has been an overheard 2D affair.