• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

00ich
(04-21-2017, 11:00 AM)
absolutely. Not so much the highend-AAA output, but Slope, Ea sports and some Wb games would be nice.
Mohonky
(04-21-2017, 11:01 AM)
Nope.

I loved the work Platinum put out on Wii U, Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta, so I would love to see more from that.

Otherwise third party stuff I can do on my PC but even then I play less and less games.
Drackhorn
(04-21-2017, 11:01 AM)
Yes.
Solaire of Astora
Death by black JPN
(04-21-2017, 11:04 AM)
Not personally, no. All I really want from this thing is a ton of indie support, Nintendo games and some unique games with sensible budgets.

Kinda hoping the 3ds is killed off so we also get a bunch of games designed with portable in mind, with the cherry on the cake being the ability to play them on the big screen too.
xyla
(04-21-2017, 11:06 AM)
If Nintendo could fill the missing games void with games and genres that went missing over the years, like they are trying right now, I'd be pretty okay.

Mind you I still play most of my games on PC and my Switch is for local MP and Nintendo games mostly.

But with games like SF2, Tetris and Bomberman R in close succession, I'm fine with there games getting more of a spotlight on the Switch compared to the other systems. I love local MP games and these are near the top.
True Fire
(04-21-2017, 11:06 AM)
Switch needs mid-tier games. I already know that it won't get AAA games; that's why I have my Pro. But it's the small but mighty games like NieR Automata that Switch should be getting in the future in order to succeed.
dampflokfreund
(04-21-2017, 11:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Neff

I'm already satisfied by switchdevelopers.jpg

If they stick around for the rest of the ride, which they probably will if Switch continues doing well, well then great.

Means nothing. We have to wait until those developers really put out their big games on the Switch and not just some random mini game.
Peterc
(04-21-2017, 11:08 AM)
They need it, simple as that.

But do they only need that? Of course not, they would just be again in the same row as sony and ms. They need to get many better games and go after e-sport mmo and rts games. the ones that you find on PC. Thats what core gamers want and not fifa, call of duty or gta5.
CaviarMeths
(04-21-2017, 11:15 AM)
What, you mean big western AAA pubs like EA, WB, and T2? No, not at all. Their inclusion or exclusion on any hardware hasn't been interesting to me since the beginning of the HD era.

I'm fine with a machine that just plays Nintendo, indie, and mid-tier Japanese 3rd party games. My only interest in seeing Madden and Calladoody on the Switch is that it makes the platform more appealing to consumers and thus a more successful platform overall. A healthy ecosystem is good for all types of gamers.
Prisoner KSC2-303
(04-21-2017, 11:16 AM)
Nope, Switch is a complementary system to me, the big hitters I can get elsewhere. Third party niche Japanese games (visual novels, JRPGs, etc.) and first party would satisfy me.

Having said that, a portable Fifa and a few other ports would be welcome just for variety's sake.
Buzzi
(04-21-2017, 11:16 AM)
Big publishers yes, big AAA games no.
I loved DS mostly because of the variety of its lineup, provided essentially by TPs. 3DS was still quite good at that. I don't need Skyrim (I guess we'll get it anw) or Witcher or KH, but overall without Capcom, Namco, NIS, Atlus, SE, Koei and most of big japanese companies, the console would feel very incomplete to me.

Nintendo can make great games however they want, but they've slowly become the tasty side dish for me, the main one consists usually of TP games.
Kai Ozu
(04-21-2017, 11:17 AM)
Yes and not just fucking ports of old games.

Make deals with some companies to make original content for switch.
Ruud_Luiten
(04-21-2017, 11:18 AM)
I love indies so I'm good. But... I also love some sport and fps games. These will be missed.
RobRivers
(04-21-2017, 11:19 AM)
Diablo and some portable fps would be nice!
Jampsuliini
(04-21-2017, 11:19 AM)
Nah, I play multiplatform games on the PC. What I want though, is the combined support of a Nintendo home console and handheld. I love my 3DS, but it's time to "Make The Switch" developers!
Bulbasaur
(04-21-2017, 11:20 AM)
Nope. Silly to expect it in 2017. First party and risk taking Indies is enough for me.
MilkyJoe
Yes of course.

Variety is the spice of life. The usual Nintendo suspects are not enough to make this a worthwhile purchase. If i think back, on my SNES Mario World & Star Fox were the only Nintendo games I had, the rest were Capcom, Lucas Arts, Enix, Acclaim etc. On my N64 Mario Kart was the only one. I didn't have any on my Wii.
RaginRoss
No.

Nintendo first party + indie is absolutely fine for me, especially if it's now focused on one platform rather than split across console / handheld.

I'm fine with having another console to play the big multiplatform games.
killatopak
(04-21-2017, 11:21 AM)
YES.

By big I mean Japanese big. Stuff like DQ XI or Yakuza.
Epcott
(04-21-2017, 11:21 AM)
Yes

I imagine people would like the option to play their favorite AAA games on the go (Madden, RE, COD, FF, Minecraft, etc.) even if they already own said games on other consoles. For instance, I have Destiny, but would jump at the chance for a version to play at work or while in transit. New and original games would be preferred, but recently released games (like RE7) wouldn't hurt.

First party is nice, but a larger library padded with AAA games could make the console legendary.
Last edited by Epcott; 04-21-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Shahed
(04-21-2017, 11:22 AM)
Not at all. Since I'll be using it for exclusivee only, from my perspective third party support doesn't matter since I won't br playing any of those games on the Switch, but elsewhere
wapplew
(04-21-2017, 11:26 AM)
No. Handheld+console Nintendo teams combine effort give me more than I can chew.
MilkyJoe
(04-21-2017, 11:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Shahed

Not at all. Since I'll be using it for exclusivee only, from my perspective third party support doesn't matter since I won't br playing any of those games on the Switch, but elsewhere

It's not about playing Battlefront or CoD on the Switch, it's about games like Ghouls and Ghosts, Actraiser, UN Squadron, Super Star Wars etc..
RexFury
(04-21-2017, 11:31 AM)
Personally, as long as the Switch gets games like Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton and Monster Hunter, I am as happy as a pig in crap. However, i am a minority and Nintendo should appeal to a lot more people.
Forkball
(04-21-2017, 11:35 AM)
I've come to terms that games like Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty, and Shadow of Mordor aren't coming to Switch ever. That pretty much goes for any Western AAA franchise. But I want Japanese support for sure. Sega, Namco, Square, Capcom... they definitely need to push out quality titles.

From the Switch, ideally I want:
Nintendo games (the full might of their teams, not the console/handheld split of the past)
Japanese games
Indie games
Retro games including Virtual Console
s4ikman
(04-21-2017, 11:57 AM)
While it's perfectly fine to bring as much 3rd parties to Switch as possible I personally don't need a port-a-thon of 360/PS3 games. I would rather prefer games which are built up from the ground for Switch, but I'm also perfectly fine with 1st/2nd party games and indies. If the Switch gets the same treatment like i.e. the 3DS that would be even better!
GamePlay Johnny
(04-21-2017, 12:01 PM)
I wonder how many of the folks answering yes to this will actually purchase graphically downgraded versions of big multy platform games on Switch, given that they already have a machine that plays those games.

I choose to pass on a lot of the "AAA" multy platform games these days anyway, so a big and diversified Indie library along with some solid Japanese support is all I need from third parties on Switch. Stuff like Fast RMX, Steamworld, Puyo Puyo, project Octopath and DQ11 is pretty much what I'm looking for.

The Indies I could get on Steam too but the Switch version should be either identical or good enough visually that I would really appreciate the convenience the system offers.

And then of course the number one reason is first party content.

Zelda+MK8+Smash+Oddysey and my purchase was already worth it for me because those are hundreds of hours playing games I absolutely love. Then I have Splatoon 2, Xenoblade and a new console Fire Emblem which are already announced, so yea, I'm pretty stoked about Switch.
Wiped89
(04-21-2017, 12:07 PM)
No but it would be nice to have some third party games to pick up on the system.

I'd love to try some portable GTA V etc. It feels like reason enough to pick up a game again just to have it portable.

Of course, I'll mostly be using my Switch docked. But still, I'd occasionally pick up titles for the road.
Dee Dah Dave
(04-21-2017, 12:08 PM)
Not on weak hardware no, what's the point. Just buy the games elsewhere on better systems.
I Wanna Be The Guy
U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
(04-21-2017, 12:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Dee Dah Dave

Not on weak hardware no, what's the point. Just buy the games elsewhere on better systems.

If everybody had that attitude the PS2 would have crashed and burned. Also Switch has a unique selling point for multiplats anyway. Portability.
Tobor
Look!
A crack addict with a tag!
(04-21-2017, 12:19 PM)
No console has ever been successful without 3rd party support.

Nintendo can't make enough games by themselves. They need to work on their branding, software mix, and marketing so that third party publishers feel comfortable taking risks on the platform.
Macka
(04-21-2017, 12:19 PM)
All games are welcome, but I'd be happy with solid Japanese support. Is there anything stopping Persona 5, Yakuza 0 and Nier Automata from being ported at some point?

Disappointed that there's no solid information on the Switch version of Dragon Quest XI yet either.
jts
...hate me...
(04-21-2017, 12:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Dee Dah Dave

Portable.
dmaul1114
(04-21-2017, 12:22 PM)

Originally Posted by BlackBanditSho

The responses in this thread surprised me. The mobility is a huge factor for me. As a father, it changed the way that i game. I'm more in your boat, gridlock. I've found that i'd take a graphical hit for a that portability, and some of the bigger titles like Nier would've gotten a glance from me had it been on switch.

It's not surprising. Portability has its appeal for many people and lifestyles. But this is a hardcore gamer site so a lot of us are hardcore gamers with lifestyles that allow a lot of gaming and we worked to provide ourselves with situtaions were we can use our consoles and pcs to game a ton.

I love my Switch, but I use it docked most of the time as I have a mancave I can game in anytime I want, we aren't having kids, I have a flexible job and my fiance works more hours than I do (including some at home) and also needs alone time so I have more than enough time for gaming and my other hobbies. :D
spekkeh
(04-21-2017, 12:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Tobor

No console has ever been successful without 3rd party support.

Nintendo can't make enough games by themselves. They need to work on their branding, software mix, and marketing so that third party publishers feel comfortable taking risks on the platform.

That's pretty debatable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ii_video_games

I'm sure the 5M of Just Dance helped a bit.. 5M.. but the rest is pretty much all Nintendo.
jrh2
(04-21-2017, 12:25 PM)
No, but they need indies, which it seems like they have in full force.
Tobor
Look!
(04-21-2017, 12:27 PM)

Originally Posted by spekkeh

That's pretty debatable

I'm sure the 5M of Just Dance helped a bit.. 5M.. but the rest is pretty much all Nintendo.

I think you need to look at that list again. Go a little further down and you'll see tons of million selling 3rd party titles. Nintendo made a boatload of cash licensing to third parties on the Wii(which is the whole point of the console business, by the way)
Mihos
(04-21-2017, 12:32 PM)
Yes, honestly I don't really like most Nintendo games. Needs more rpgs especially.
Regginator
(04-21-2017, 12:33 PM)
Nope, I've already written Nintendo off when it comes to third-party games. I get their systems literally only for the first-party and other exclusive games. Nothing else. I have a PC that I play multiplatform games on.
I Wanna Be The Guy
U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
(04-21-2017, 12:34 PM)

Originally Posted by spekkeh

That's pretty debatable

You just helped prove the point that Wii had plenty of third party support. Lots of million seller third party games in that list.
pbayne
(04-21-2017, 12:35 PM)
Yes. Still holding off on a switch until i get a better picture of what software is coming to it.
petrvs
(04-21-2017, 12:37 PM)
BE great to see Resident Evil, JRPGs / aRPG, more platformers and metroidvanias (hello Bloodstained)
dmaul1114
(04-21-2017, 12:37 PM)

Originally Posted by I Wanna Be The Guy

You just helped prove the point that Wii had plenty of third party support. Lots of million seller third party games in that list.

Yeah it got a lot of games, and many sold fairly well (1 million is as impressive on a 100 million+ base etc.). So it definitely helps owners feel satisfied, even if its moot for people like me that buy Nintendo hardware just for Nintendo games pretty much.

I doubt that third party support sold many Wiis as people were buying it for Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Zelda, Smash, Mario Kart, the Mario Galaxy games etc. etc. and just picking up some third party stuff along the way. But that wasn't what the OP was about as it ask if third party games were necessary to feel satisfied, not whether they were necessary to buy a Switch.
Last edited by dmaul1114; 04-21-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Jackstin
(04-21-2017, 12:42 PM)

There really aren't. Out of 66 there are around 20 non Nintendo games (you know, 1st party, 3rd party, or outsourced mario games).

Out of all the publishers/developers out there, only 20 doing more than a million is really poor.

Don't get me wrong, I think the reason is the quality of the games they produced for the platform. But regardless that's not a whole load of success.
TAS
(04-21-2017, 12:43 PM)
For me personally, no. I am completely content with Nintendo first party plus indie games. Plus I have a PS4 Pro for 3rd party games as a backup. However, for Switch's long term success, I believe strong 3rd party support is necessary. Good news is, I think Switch will have the best 3rd party support for a Nintendo system since the SNES. The ease of development plus strong sales will give developers no choice but to support the platform.
KillGore
(04-21-2017, 12:44 PM)
Yes, some third party games on the go would be pretty cool.
Vert1
(04-21-2017, 12:44 PM)
They're getting Capcom, and that's good enough for me. I want to see a bigger push of 2nd Party support on the system.
Dee Dah Dave
(04-21-2017, 12:46 PM)

If everybody had that attitude the PS2 would have crashed and burned. Also Switch has a unique selling point for multiplats anyway. Portability.

The gulf in hardware capability is quite different now though compared to then. Trying to get RDR2 or something running on a Switch would be a mammoth task.

Originally Posted by jts

Portable.

That's one differentiator for sure. It doesn't change the fact that the hardware isn't really up to the job though. Not without huge downgrades to the games.
Santar
(04-21-2017, 12:47 PM)
The only thing Switch need to satisfy me is good games, small or big, first or third party, I don't care.
Tobor
Look!
(04-21-2017, 12:48 PM)

Originally Posted by dmaul1114

Yeah it got a lot of games, and many sold fairly well (1 million is as impressive on a 100 million+ base etc.). So it definitely helps owners feel satisfied, even if its moot for people like me that buy Nintendo hardware just for Nintendo games pretty much.

I doubt that third party support sold many Wiis as people were buying it for Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Zelda, Smash, Mario Kart, the Mario Galaxy games etc. etc. and just picking up some third party stuff along the way. But that wasn't what the OP was about as it ask if third party games were necessary to feel satisfied, not whether they were necessary to buy a Switch.

To that I would say a resounding YES. They are absolutely necessary for me to feel satisfied, and outside of the core Nintendo fan, I'd argue they are necessary for the general public to feel satisfied.

Nintendo cannot produce enough games across enough genres to live on their own island. They need help.