• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Akuun
(04-20-2017, 06:45 PM)

Originally Posted by HappyBivouac

This is hilarious. Basically Xi sees this guy and immediately pegs him as an idiot. He then proceeds to feed him the same propaganda they feed their citizens through education and state controlled media, knowing full well how easy this guy is to manipulate, and that he'll just believe and regurgitate. The best part is that it actually works.

I may not like him, but I can't fault Xi on that. He's smart and knows when he has the upper hand intellectually.

East Asia has an obviously very complex territorial history. You always see little spats between the Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans over "we invented [such and such ancient tradition]!" It's not surprising when the leaders of these countries try to spread this kind of rhetoric, but to see the freaking POTUS parroting this shit is beyond priceless.

I imagine there's probably some community of government elites who are privately laughing about Trump.

Maybe some guy told Xi "This guy is a total moron. His stance changes based on whoever he last talked to. He repeats whatever you tell him."

And then Xi was like "Oh shit, I gotta try that lol"
Thelonelykoopa
(04-20-2017, 06:49 PM)
Lol, Historical borders means nothing in modern politics this isn't EU4.
4Tran
(04-20-2017, 07:40 PM)

Originally Posted by PeskyToaster

The Qing dynasty was well. I don't know of its status in the perceptions of modern Chinese people but it was a non-Chinese dynasty.

Technically true, but the Qing Dynasty is viewed as a Chinese empire. Hell, even Liao and Jin are considered Chinese empires, maybe Xi Xia as well. It's just the Yuan who are specifically left out. I suspect that it has to do with the Mongols doing so much outside of China that it would feel wrong to include them.

Originally Posted by Akuun

I imagine there's probably some community of government elites who are privately laughing about Trump.

Maybe some guy told Xi "This guy is a total moron. His stance changes based on whoever he last talked to. He repeats whatever you tell him."

And then Xi was like "Oh shit, I gotta try that lol"

Nah, this time, Trump's dumbness hurts China's position.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(04-20-2017, 07:43 PM)
All lands belong to the Middle Kingdom.
Log4Girlz
(04-20-2017, 07:45 PM)
It's literally attached to China. Makes complete sense.
Dreamgazer
(04-20-2017, 07:56 PM)
Korea is the new Taiwan.
darkhunger
(04-21-2017, 12:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Ogodei

The Yuan Empire, and the briefly unified Mongol Empire before that, saw the two (China and Korea) ruled jointly by the Mongols, while the Ming relinquished direct control in exchange for maintaining influence over Korea. Koreans, however, will contend that "sphere of influence" was all that Mongol/Yuan rule amounted to as well. Chinese, meanwhile, would contend that the Yuan Empire was China and not a non-Chinese empire, so you've got historical conceit from both camps that you have to unpack in these claims.

Kind of splitting hairs, though, as a lot of Empires used indirect rule as a facet of their domination. Rome's tendency for cultural homogenization was somewhat unique, historically.

The Han dynasty did basically take over most of what's today considered North Korea though, for about a 50 year period.

The Tang Dynasty also had various administrative powers over northern Korea briefly before they got pushed out.

And as discussed the Yuan dynasty effectively ruled over all of Korea, but that was the Mongols, not the Chinese.