• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

shnurgleton
(04-21-2017, 04:12 AM)
Well, it finally happened to me - I'm sleeping in the airport terminal tonight. A combination of crap weather and shit airline coordination conspired to strand me and many others here tonight. Hotels are completely full. Add to that I was supposed to have a job interview on the east coast tomorrow morning and it bumps up the suckitude.

This experience, while super crappy, probably doesn't seem so crappy in comparison to others. So I guess what I'm saying is: give me your crappy travel stories so I feel less crappy about my current situation.
Last edited by shnurgleton; 04-21-2017 at 04:16 AM.
DBT85
(04-21-2017, 04:16 AM)
I was on a flight to Sharm about 2 years ago and behind me was seated a small boy, maybe 6 years old playing games on his PSP and kicking my seat.

I very politely asked his parents who were next to him to try and get him to stop (fully understanding that kids will be kids but some kind of attempt would be appreciated)

Their replies?

"It's EasyJet, what do you expect" from the dad

and

"you can try and get him to stop if you like" from the mum.

That's the worst I got.
Last edited by DBT85; 04-21-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Lace
(04-21-2017, 04:16 AM)
Did they provide compensation?
BronsonLee
(04-21-2017, 04:18 AM)
I've had to sleep on the airport floor three times in my life, 2 in Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport, and 1 in JFK.

It has been Delta's fault every time.

Make them give you a sandwich and some shit, hit up their Twitter to yell at them, and curl up on the floor and wrap your luggage around your arm.
shnurgleton
(04-21-2017, 04:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Lace

Did they provide compensation?

Nope.
MMarston
(04-21-2017, 04:19 AM)
Of the 5 times I've used American Airlines, 4 of them have ended up in delays that spanned from 2-7 hours.
Violet_0
(04-21-2017, 04:20 AM)
I spent one night in the Barcelona Reus airport because I was too greedy to pay for a hotel. Also stayed overnight in train stations a number of times, same reason. Never sleep there, though, I usually just read a book

Originally Posted by DBT85

and

this is great, those parents are just the realest
Last edited by Violet_0; 04-21-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Falchion
(04-21-2017, 04:21 AM)
Are you going to be able to make the interview though? They'll certainly understand your situation and it can easily be verified.
Darksol
(04-21-2017, 04:22 AM)
I visited Detroit once.
shnurgleton
(04-21-2017, 04:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Falchion

Are you going to be able to make the interview though? They'll certainly understand your situation and it can easily be verified.

Yeah, part of it, coming straight from the airport. Let em know already and they seem understanding enough
Dreadnought
(04-21-2017, 04:28 AM)
When traveling to Colorado to go snowboarding I must have picked up some stomach bug in the Atlanta Intl airport. I was so sick for my whole snowboarding trip. Still had fun tho.

Also took the Amtrak from Savannah to Philadelphia. Absolutely awful do not recommend, it's loud, cramped, and just all around not pleasant. I got no sleep the entire time. No idea how I managed to go from the train station to get my rental care and then navigate Philly to get to my hotel.
Last edited by Dreadnought; 04-21-2017 at 04:39 AM.
sleverfunk
(04-21-2017, 04:29 AM)
First time traveling to a new state alone. It was about 10 hours of sitting on a bus ride.
After I arrived I rode a taxi then lost my wallet. All I had was my phone.a bottled water and some cookies.
laoni
(04-21-2017, 04:30 AM)
Was heading from Detroit to Philly, after having come over from Australia, so at that point, I was exhausted, I was ready to get on my last flight and get to bed when I landed.

When we landed, the flight had been delayed because the plane we were flying out on was late. It arrived a few hours later, but we still waited, there was a flight coming in from Minneapolis that had people connecting onto it.

Another few hours past. They took the plane at our gate and used it for someone else so, when the plane from Minneapolis arrived, we were to use that one. It arrived at midnight, we'd been delayed about 4hrs at this point. And then... They tell us that our pilots had just timed out, they weren't allowed to fly.

We waited for another plane to come in from Boston, due at 3am, but, it didn't land until about 5am. The ground crew started rushing us onto the plane when the control tower told us to disembark and change gates, so that the pilots didn't have to change gates. The ground crew eventually convinced things to stay as is, and we - finally- took off.

What was supposed to be a 10pm arrival became a 6am arrival the next day, and unlike the other delayed passengers that night, we spent it stuck in the airport because it was always "We'll be able to take off in an hour or two!"

Bonus fun, they lost my luggage, it had gone from LA to Vegas, while I had gone from LA to Detroit. Again, I was coming over from Australia so... Pretty much everything was in there. They managed to snap a cup off my headphones too, wrapped up protectively in my hard suitcase.
Tall4Life
(04-21-2017, 04:31 AM)
When I was traveling back from the Turks and Caicos with my family, my dad and I got hit by overbooking. My mom was able to get on the plane, but we weren't. We had paid for the flight months in advance. But nope. We couldn't feasibly get a room for that night, and I had midterms coming up shortly so I needed to be home. After about 3 hours they were able to put us on the last flight of the day, of which there are two with the airline, back to the United States. We were able to make it home that night, albeit at 2 AM. I'm leaving out some details but yeah it was quite painful.
Tevious
(04-21-2017, 04:48 AM)
Egypt. Couldn't even enjoy myself because people will try to con you out of your money every 5 steps you take. Even the hotel tried to give me some bullshit service fee that wasn't part of the deal.
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(04-21-2017, 04:56 AM)
Rarotonga. Had a six hour layover till a flight to aitutaki in the morning. Thought, six hours? Let's just chill in the airport.

Didn't realize it was an open jungle airstrip surrounded by feral dogs.

Longest six hours ever.
JohnMatrix
(04-21-2017, 05:02 AM)
While drunk, I smoked a joint in the Netherlands before going on a paddle boat on a canal, I got sick and starting throwing up over the side while trying to paddle myself back to town. Almost died

Also, food poisoning in Japan the day before I flew home
Mr Git
(04-21-2017, 05:15 AM)
Me and my friend got dysentery in Laos. Couldn't even keep down water and we were marooned on an island river during a typhoon. Actually thought I was gonna die.
eosos
(04-21-2017, 05:16 AM)
Got stuck overnight in Dallas cause of storms once. That sucked, fuck Dallas. Had a 9 hour delay in Nashville recently. They ended up routing me down to Miami in order to get me to O'Hare for whatever reason. Impulse/sad bought a TV on my phone during that trip.

Edit: being hungover on a plane sucks. I can't imagine how shitty (lol) food poisoning would be.
Sunster
(04-21-2017, 05:17 AM)
Going to Philippines Jet Blue cancels flight. Buy new tickets from Delta. Delayed by storm over NYC, missed connecting flight in JFK. Buy more new tickets to HK. Arrive in HK and is asked my final destination (Manila). airline staff says there's an issue with my itinerary. Takes me to airline desk. I'm physically ill at this point from sitting on a plane for 19 hours. Being led through the airport while my body is tearing itself apart inside was hell. My departure flight, Air China from MNL cancelled my reservation because I didn't board their connecting flight from JFK (the one I missed from the delay) So. I cannot enter Philippines until I have a ticket to leave the country after my trip. So I need to buy more new tickets. heh...

$2000 later I'm in Manila having the time of my life. got a great deal on tickets to Manila Ocean Park (massive aquarium with buffet) we stop at Mall of Asia to print the vouchers. In the computer shop it hits me.. food poisoning... It's 5x worse than how I felt in HK. I basically sprint to the nearest restroom. No TP... Get into a cab but end up abandoning it when I feel that I'm going to Vomit. I get out and vomit on the side of the road. I'm in the middle of nowhere at this point it must be 95 degrees out. I trek to a McDonald's where my illness had me under siege for the next 2 hours. After I had 0 bodily fluids left I risked the long cab ride back to my apartment considering Manila traffic, I'm 2 hours out. And that is where I am today, typing this. Still recovering.
Last edited by Sunster; 04-21-2017 at 05:32 AM.
BolognaOni
(04-21-2017, 05:25 AM)
My dad was a pilot so I'm pretty sympathetic in weather and equipment problem situations, but still think the current levels of overbooking and logistical issues are crap.

I usually like Southwest quite a bit, but they once put 2 more people on the plane then there were actual seats, and it took nearly two hours to resolve, including spending half an hour looking for someone to kick off that wasn't even on the plane. On the plus side, no one was forceably removed!
MicH
(04-21-2017, 05:31 AM)
Sat next to the emergency exit on a 9 hour flight from London to San Diego and it's probably my worst flight ever. You'd think having all that legroom would be heavenly (and it was, I guess) but I have never been so cold on a flight ever before. The stewards kept bringing us blankets but it barely helped. It was also ridiculously loud sitting right next to the door. It's the only time I've ever sat in an emergency exit row so I don't know if it's supposed to be like that but I don't ever want to try that again.

A few days later I became violently ill and couldn't hold anything down. I kept vomiting after every meal (what little I could even eat). Horrible experience
MadJackChurchill
(04-21-2017, 05:54 AM)
Currently live in Japan. Paid 2000 euros for a tour of North Korea. Reserved flights to get to Beijing, and then from Beijing to Pyongyang (Koryo Air).

Arrived at the airport. Told them I was going to North Korea. They were confused for about half an hour, then told me that I needed a visa. I told them my flight was direct. They said there was a technical refuelling stop in Qingdao...meaning I couldn't use the visa exemption I wanted. Fart.

Had to pay $300 for a new flight there. Stayed at a net cafe.

That's the suckiest experience I've ever had. And it was my fault anyway, sooooo...yeah. Tour was still cool!
shnurgleton
(04-21-2017, 05:56 AM)
Found a nice carpeted corner I thought I could curl up in, but as it turns out there's somebody going around waking up sleeping people.

When will this end
MadJackChurchill
(04-21-2017, 05:57 AM)

Originally Posted by shnurgleton

Found a nice carpeted corner I thought I could curl up in, but as it turns out there's somebody going around waking up sleeping people.

When will this end

Disguise yourself as luggage.
sfedai0
(04-21-2017, 06:04 AM)
Picked up some sort of immunodeficiency virus from Thailand. Massive inflammation and swelling on one of my ankles and right side of my collarbone, which basically left me hobbling and unable to lift anything on one side. On top of that, I think I was running a fever.

Missed my flight home because I was literally dragging myself to the airport, so I bought a super expensive same day flight back. Caveat? 7 hour layover in Dubai. Pretty much one of the most painful nights I can remember. Couldnt sleep with the pain from the swelling and inflammation and it was freezing in the airport. Literally wheel chaired out when I landed home.

Also, they gave my ketchup packet with my pizza in the Dubai airport. Why???
Last edited by sfedai0; 04-21-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Kas
(04-21-2017, 06:22 AM)
I was sick for about 8 days out of my 2 week vacation in Florida to Disney World and Universal.

I was throwing up and kept shitting myself and it wasn't fun at all.

Plus, I was 15 and all I wanted for that year was the New Vegas collector edition.
Triteon
(04-21-2017, 09:22 AM)
Ive had some shit times in airports, ive been detained due to visa stuff ups.

But honestly the very worst was an emergency flight from seattle to perth australia.

It was seattle to LA with a stop of about 6 hours in LAX which doubled to 12 due to something mechanical, then to Taiwan, another 4 or 5 hour layover, then to Malaysia for another 7 hour layover then Perth.

All i was in airports or planes for more than two full days. I felt like garbage for a week after.
GeordieMark
(04-21-2017, 09:57 AM)
I broke my jaw in Bulgaria and decided I'd rather fly home for treatment than have an op there, as the hospital I went to looked decidedly dodgy. I had a three hour cab journey to the airport in one of those tiny little Seat cars, which was made a bit more stressful due to the fuel gauge not working. I wasn't aware of this until I started to get pissed off with the cabbie for continually passing petrol stations despite the gauge being on zero.

Once I got to the airport, having had no painkillers and still with a slightly bloody mouth, I found the flight delayed by an hour. That wasn't so bad, as I was just happy to have made it to the airport at all, but there is sod all to do at Sofia Airport, and they sell no English-language books or magazines. The real shitter was finally getting on the flight, only to be told we would have to sit on the runway for three more hours before we'd be departing. I had no battery on my phone, nothing to read, a broken jaw, and no painkillers. It was total bollocks.
SlipperyFishes
(04-21-2017, 10:03 AM)
I was caught up in the great fucking mess of Heathrow airport during the big freeze and fuck you storm a few years ago on Christmas Eve. Spent 8 hours in the terminal being told "boarding soon" until 9pm when they then said all flights were cancelled.

Happy holidays!
The_Hitcher89
(04-21-2017, 10:05 AM)
Sat on the floor of an overcrowded shit ferry for like 5 hours in choppy waters
Luigi87
(04-21-2017, 10:09 AM)
My sister and I were denied our actual seats on a plane by a flight attendant who let a family and their young kid in our seats instead, and sat us in front of them. For the full flight (only about an hour, but a long ass hour) the kid was whining and kicking our seats. In the meanwhile the flight attendant, he basically shirked his responsibilities, didn't attend to the cab, and weirdly focused on trying to entertain that kid.

Edit: That was also the end of the trip. The start of the trip we were told our flight was cancelled without any heads up. The exchange was "We're here for _____" to which the person working the counter responded "No you're not." rather abruptly and rudely and made us ask what they meant rather than just explain the situation. We then had to work out a new flight path.
Last edited by Luigi87; 04-21-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Khoryos
(04-21-2017, 10:10 AM)
I was holidaying on the Red Sea in Egypt in 2008, and was due to fly back with XL on the 12th of September.

Aka, the day the airline went bankrupt.
Wound up sleeping in the airport that night, then pawning my DS and MP3 player for two day's hotel stay and water in Sharm el Sheikh before finally being able to get booked on a flight back to the wrong side of the country.
SuperBanana
(04-21-2017, 10:13 AM)
I booked a trip to a national park in China and had a flight via Air China. I arrived at the airport to be told that they canceled that route weeks ago and it no longer exists. They never even told me. The entire 4 days was ruined and we were stuck in a shit airport hotel until we flew to our next destination. No one spoke English and the ONE guy who did left half way into fixing it because his shift was over. It was enraging.
Clydefrog
momfrog
dadfrog
madfrog
(04-21-2017, 10:16 AM)
I was worried I had to do this in Manaus, Brazil. I was ready to sleep with the actual dogs in the airport. I was ready to do exactly this.

Instead, I got extremely lucky and got a free taxi out of the airport to a hotel.

The dogs in the airport were friendly though.
navii
My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
(04-21-2017, 10:18 AM)
If we talking airlines...

Was traveling from Brisbane to Sydney. Airline emailed me saying; bad weather coming and I should check if my flight is being delayed. It was delayed by an hour so I arrive at the airport an hour later in tune with the new schedule. Airline says I should have been on time and they sold my seat to someone else and I should buy another ticket on a plane departing 4 hours later because my original plane is now full.

I buy the ticket and start the 4 hour wait. Decide to get some alcohol... now I'm very polite person who never barges in, at the bar is a guy getting served, I stand there and he leaves with his drink, the bar lady walks off, I'm thinking she is probably just getting some supplies for the bar, while I'm waiting another guy walks up to the bar, she comes back and serves him, then 2 more other people. I am polite, but at the same time I also expect respect and politeness back, I also absolutely hate cues and people who cut in, so with 3 people cutting in infront of me, my blood is boiling. I was at the bar to drown out my anger of getting screwed by the airline, not push it over the tipping point. It's like there was a hidden camera trying to make me go off controlled by my friends who know what my hates are.

Being at an airport, and me not wanting to be on a no-fly list for causing trouble I get my beer and walk off to another bar at the airport... 2 hours later there is a boarding call for my original flight (so I was at the airport 2 hours before my flight, yet they still deemed me "late"). Finally my flight takes off, just as the my original flight lands. By the time I am in Sydney public transport to my house stopped working so I had to walk 6km in the middle of the night home with my heavy backpack (I did not want to waste any more money on taxis after having to buy a second airplane ticket)

Needless to say I haven't flown with them again and also cancelled my phone plan with the associated company.

On a non airline related story, I had hemorrhoids in a holiday in Japan, spent most of 2 weeks on my belly in the hotel room in pain. At night when I wasn't going out and getting drunk to forget the pain, I would stumble to chemists trying to find some butt saving ointment. Nothing worked. I made it back home and it took a few weeks for it to settle. I baby my ass before each holiday from now on.

One more, I was caravaning in NZ with my GF, we would drive and pick a spot each night to park, usually in an official caravan area, this time we were near some river near the middle of nowhere and it was late, so we parked and tried to sleep. Mosquitoes kept on biting me so I figured a couple must have gotten in while I had the door open. I turn on the lights and the caravan is full of the little blood suckers! I spend about 30 minutes killing them, but they just keep coming. I walk outside to inspect the caravan and I see hundreds of mosquitoes all over the outside of the van and I notice that our air vents are so old that the fly screens have holes in them. So at 3am I decide to drive in-land where there would be no mosquittos. After about a 2 hour drive I park and we sleep. Next day I am absolutely covered in bites (and these fucking things itch for days), while my girlfriend has literally zero bites.
Last edited by navii; 04-21-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Osahi
(04-21-2017, 10:18 AM)

Originally Posted by MadJackChurchill

Disguise yourself as luggage.

And see someone calling it in as a suspicious package, followed by the bombsquad blowing you up.

I travel quite a lot but never had a really bad experience to date. Some minor delays, rescheduled flights (before I got to the airport usually) and once a botched up connection reservation, meaning we had to check-in our lugage on the second plane too, which was pretty stressy, but nothing world shaking.

Most 'bad' experiences we had were the kind of stuff you laugh about later. Getting a flat tire in the middle of nowhere in the Alentejo Region of Portugal at 40°C. Or driving a rental car with a very weak engine to the botom of a hill and barely getting up again. (literaly had to use the handbreak every time the engine shut down, then restart, floor the gas, loose the brake, etc)

edit: guess the worst was flying out of Brussels soon after the airport reopened. The security measures where absolutely disgracefull and terribly organised. For our safety they packed hundreds of people outside of the airport building in a small place, because before you entered you had to be checked offcourse. With a delay added to it, it took me 12 hours from door to door to get to my portuguese apartment. Usually it's about 6.
Last edited by Osahi; 04-21-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Nivash
(04-21-2017, 10:19 AM)
Being mysteriously ill with high fever on a night train in India. That was fun. Never been so scared in my life.
danowat
(04-21-2017, 10:19 AM)

Originally Posted by DBT85

I was on a flight to Sharm about 2 years ago and behind me was seated a small boy, maybe 6 years old playing games on his PSP and kicking my seat.

I very politely asked his parents who were next to him to try and get him to stop (fully understanding that kids will be kids but some kind of attempt would be appreciated)

Their replies?

and

That's the worst I got.

Heh, I've been on lots of flights like that, sucks doesn't it?

As for worse journey's, always planes, and always anything with "long haul" in the title.

Two worse that come to mind were........

Flying from Hong Kong to Sydney, 9hr flight, near a family with 4 kids who were all sick, throwing up for pretty much the entire flight, it was gross.

Flying from Sydney to Dubai, 14.5hr flight, with a headwind, which turned it into god knows how long, sure they must have landed on fumes, and to top it all off, 7 hours of quite choppy turbulance over the Java sea and Bay of Bengal.

It took 3 days for the rollercoaster feeling whenever I closed my eyes, and even my wife who is a top notch traveller felt ill.

God I hate flying...........
Redders
(04-21-2017, 11:14 AM)
Couple of years ago on my first trip to the US we were booked to fly Saturday morning to LAX, flight was delayed by an hour 3 times, before a further 3 hours delay. After that we went to the gate after the plane was supposedly fixed and we were sat there for around 30 minutes before seeing the flight crew leaving. Turned out the flight crew had run out of hours so we would have to fly the next day and were advised we would have a different plane. Got put up in a hotel overnight so that was fine.

Next day up early in the morning no delays this time but when we get to the gate I noticed it the was same plane (Boeing 787 for reference and I recognised the name from the day before). We get onto the plane fine and are taxing to the runway when on the intercom the captain says there are concerns in the cabin and we have to go back to the gate. There were fire engines waiting and police came onto the plane when we got there, had to go back through security and while waiting it turned out people could smell smoke up in the front of the plane.

We had to queue up at the check in desk and were rebooked on to various flights, we now needed to be in Vegas so got bumped to premium economy to fly to JFK 4 hours later before changing to a fully booked delta flight that departed an hour after we landed. Bit of rush at JFK that was. The Delta plane was boiling hot and I had to sit next to a lady with a cold so suffered with that the first couple of days.

Going in June this year so hopefully won't be like this again.
scooblehdoo
(04-21-2017, 12:42 PM)
I had a terrible experience in Vegas. we had a rental car that we needed to bring back, our group decided, you 2 drop us off so we can already check in. sure no problem. So we go the counter, everything is okay, the woman at the counter has our tickets in her hand. then she asks, aren't you with other people. uhh yeah but they already went inside. all of the sudden she picks up the phone, calls someone and is put on hold and makes us wait for an hour and a half!!!!!!
the crazy thing is, she wasn't speaking to anyone! as soon as she saw we were running late, she just hung up gave our tickets and said to hurry

than the fucking TSA agents. they knew we were running late, yet they still dragged us out of line too ask us questions and complaining that we didn't put our stuff correct in the tray. my blood was boiling as this old lady starts acting real big and shouting. (some casual racism towards us "those mexicans") we aren't even mexican.

finally we make a dash towards our flight, yep... missed it, saw it taking off.. fun times.

Then more fuck ups arrived. we had to rebook, okay that went pretty smooth with the only downside being that we had to wait 20 hours and make a stop in Seattle.

next morning we were waiting to board, we go to the counter to get everything sorted they say, come back when we helped these passangers on the flight. so we wait and wait. they say yeah somethings wrong with your ticket, you cant board... i totally lost it. and the whole flight was delayed. so the captain called to say, board them now or ill leave. so they just printed something out and gave it to me and said, once you're in seattle fix your ticket issue

once in seattle, i immediately went to one of the delta people to sort it out. I approached one those supervisors and he was saying "why are you making such a big deal, these things happen all the time, it's an easy fix. wait til boarding" haha fool me once... i demanded it gets checked. so he starts looking into it, whoops something went terribly wrong. We see him making al sorts of calls and. after half an hour he comes back and hands over my boarding pass, saying sorry, its all fixed now.

This was Delta btw, they didn't give us any compensation. worst experience ever. had been awake for 30 hours before i finally got on the plane with another 10 hour flight ahead of me.
TheChewyWaffles
(04-21-2017, 12:47 PM)

Originally Posted by shnurgleton

When will this end

Wow that's awful.
Fbh
(04-21-2017, 12:55 PM)
The last time I took a long flight from south America to Europe I had this older guy sitting next to me that wouldn't stop talking.

I have nothing against some friendly chat but not for 14 hours straight. Even while I was watching movies he was constantly interrupting and talking.
He didn't even have anything interesting to say. He was complaining about the lack of space (there wasn't, I was bigger than him and had no issues) that the food was bad (it wasn't ) , etc. Then he started talking about his family and how they are all on various European countries taking advantage of the social system to basically get free money and how I should look into doing the same.

Man was I glad when we finally arrived.
JoeNut
(04-21-2017, 01:16 PM)
i had a 2 day trip to ireland booked, my flight was delayed 8 hours and we had to sit on the plane for at least 5 of those.
then when we got there we went for a drink and a drunken irish man poured an entire pint of guinness over my girlfriends head, and i then got kicked out of the pub for throwing a bottle at the drunken irish man..

it was a good trip
Wolvers
(04-21-2017, 01:23 PM)
Had to sleep rough for a night in Milan when our hostel reservations messed up. Traipsing around the streets at 2am, none of us able to speak more than a few words of Italian, hotels out of the question due to being budget-breaking. We eventually found a gated off garden and the three of us slept in shifts while one of us stood guard.

Nightmare at the time, hilarious memory now.
SoulUnison
(04-21-2017, 01:27 PM)
When I was like 9 or 10 back in the 90s my mom and I were supposed to take a trip that was one week guided tour around Japan and then another one week tour of China, all set up through a travel agent.

We did the Japan tour then were at Narita airport to head to China when it was suddenly discovered that the agent had never bothered to get us entry visas for China, so they weren't allowing us to check in or board, and my mom wanted to just go along with it and "take care of it once we get there," but they threatened us and said that if we got on that plane without the proper paperwork done we'd land in China but be sent straight back to Japan in handcuffs.

I remember we got to the airport before the sun came up, and I sat by the check in desk and played Game Gear and with a model toy airplane straight through the entire day until the sun had come up and gone down again. Eventually United comped us business class tickets home, and we skipped the second half of the vacation. I hear they're not as nice nowadays.
Catdaddy
(04-21-2017, 01:34 PM)
Flying out of Miami on a summer afternoon – board the plane, they clear it for departure – see the dark storm clouds rolling in – pilot comes on and says we are unable to back away from the gate due to weather. Sit on a full plane for an hour and a half while the storm passes, they were nice enough to play a Mr. Bean movie though….wait that may have been the worst part…
sooperkool
(04-21-2017, 01:53 PM)
If there is a lounge for frequent Flyers, pay the 50 bucks for one day access and go in there. Better food, quieter, booze. You can also check to see if one of your credit cards grants access.
kalgore
(04-21-2017, 02:01 PM)
I fly a fair bit but used to fly 4-8 times a month so I've seen some shit.

My two worst though:

San Luis Potosi Mexico to Houston to Toronto

A project I was in SLP to do went terrible and ended up re-booking my Friday morning flight home to Saturday morning to get an extra work day in. The flight to Houston departs at 6:30am. I was at the airport at 4:30 and United canceled the flight. Next flight was at 4:30pm.

What makes this bad is that this airport is one big room with 3 doors for the terminals. No wifi and because it was Saturday all the restaurants in the terminal were closed. It sucked. When I finally got to Houston I had already missed the last flight to Toronto. I ended up getting home around 4pm on Sunday. Just in time to do some laundry and get ready for work again on Monday.

Philadelphia -> Toronto

It was super foggy in Toronto and I was on small regional jet. The plane circles the airport like 5-8 times then finally tries to land. We were just about to touch down when the engines roared so loud I had to cover my ears and the plane reared back as if we were heading into space.
I had an aisle seat and small unsecured objects like pennies and pen caps came flying past my head. When we got back into the air the pilot came on and said they had to abort the landing because the equipment was failing due to the fog.
They flew us to some regional airstrip in New York at which point someone from US customs came and sat on the plane and refused to let anyone get off because we had left American airspace and not cleared customs when we came back (lol). We sat on the plane for 4 hours before we could take off again. I can make the drive home from Phily in 8 hours, that flight experience took 15 hours. It was a total piss off and just one of the many reasons I think PHL is the worst major airport in the US.
shnurgleton
(04-21-2017, 02:15 PM)
Well im on the ground now, interviewers are being super accommodating, hope something good comes out of it!