• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

TAJ
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
(04-21-2017, 05:59 AM)
TAJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nostremitus

Are you an antivaxxer or something?

Don't fuck around with rabies. Once you start having symptoms it's likely too late.

Did you not see the part where the OP was diagnosing the dog? OP thinks it's possibly rabid because it displays the traits of a puppy.
Media
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:03 AM)
Media's Avatar
Again I will say the throwing up is a concern, not for the OP but for the puppy. Is it also having really loose stools? If so, take it to the vet, because it's likely going to die of parvo.
Night Angel
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:03 AM)
Night Angel's Avatar

Originally Posted by killatopak

I've seen this posted earlier and forgot to answer. I actually agreed earlier to wait for ten days before and look for signs om the puppy because of the article posted.

The reason I didn't follow through is because my friend is leaving in 5 days along with the puppy. Since the vaccination is free of charge, I just went for it instead of troubling my friend.

My friend has enough trouble as it is so I figured, I should just sacrifice my time since I'm a bit free anyway.

So you were certain enough that you had rabies that you'd get shots but simultaneously you're cool with your buddy traveling with a rabid dog?

Hmm
Steeped in a Sea of Games
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:05 AM)
Steeped in a Sea of Games's Avatar

Originally Posted by killatopak

lol I'm not that petty. The dog's owner is a friend of mine.

When I was younger, we had a neighbor's kid jump our fence into our back yard (6 foot tall privacy fence), run over to our dog who just had puppies and yank on her tail really hard. Dog nipped at her and the neighbors petitioned to have our dog destroyed over it. Had the police over and everything. The experience was pretty traumatic for us at the time. My parents managed to save her though.
killatopak
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:05 AM)
killatopak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Media

Again I will say the throwing up is a concern, not for the OP but for the puppy. Is it also having really loose stools? If so, take it to the vet, because it's likely going to die of parvo.

That is concerning. Her stools are soft. I will relay this right away.

Originally Posted by Night Angel

So you were certain enough that you had rabies that you'd get shots but simultaneously you're cool with your buddy traveling with a rabid dog?

Hmm

You do know he's aware of it since it's his dog? Naturally he has a cage ready.
nomster
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:06 AM)
nomster's Avatar
The doctor or nurse's diagnosis of the OP:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v7acD4q0lp0
Media
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:07 AM)
Media's Avatar
Just saw op got rabies shots. Okay. Those hurt. And only 7? Fuck you modern medicine when I was nine they had to drag me in every day for like a week for three in the belly.

Originally Posted by killatopak

That is concerning. Her stools are soft. I will relay this right away.



You do know he's aware of it since it's his dog? Naturally he has a cage ready.

Soft vs loose like water, but if the vomiting continues def get her checked. Parvo is serious fucking business and has like a 90% death rate in puppies unfortunately. And it can live in the soil for years.
psynergylover
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:10 AM)
psynergylover's Avatar

Originally Posted by Risible

Originally Posted by How About No

You have to slay the original before it's too late

Originally Posted by BigAT

LMAO!!!! I fucking can't right now!!!
killatopak
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:15 AM)
killatopak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Media

Just saw op got rabies shots. Okay. Those hurt. And only 7? Fuck you modern medicine when I was nine they had to drag me in every day for like a week for three in the belly.

Soft vs loose like water, but if the vomiting continues def get her checked. Parvo is serious fucking business and has like a 90% death rate in puppies unfortunately. And it can live in the soil for years.

I still have to return on day 3,7,14, and 28. Still I'm glad it's not on the stomach, that's scary.

It's soft like mud. Yes, I'm definitely keeping an eye on her.
NoblesseOblige
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:20 AM)
NoblesseOblige's Avatar
In the US there are fewer than 3 cases of rabies in humans per year. I doubt very much you won that lotto.

Edit: Just saw OP is in the Philippines. That a totally different situation as they are in the top 10 for rabies problems. I suppose the concern is more warranted in that context (though you're still likely fine).
Last edited by NoblesseOblige; 04-21-2017 at 06:25 AM.
killatopak
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:24 AM)
killatopak's Avatar

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige

In the US there are fewer than 3 cases of rabies in humans per year. I doubt very much you won that lotto.

I'm not from the US. In my country it's over a thousand cases a year and 300 of those are dead.
wedca
Junior Member
(04-21-2017, 06:30 AM)
wedca's Avatar
The other thing that is cool about getting treated now is that you are basically invincible to rabies for a long time so you can get bit as much as you want without problem.

I'm jealous of any place that has free treatments for medical stuff. My gaming budget would be ruined if I was in the OP's situation in the country I live in.
NoblesseOblige
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:30 AM)
NoblesseOblige's Avatar

Originally Posted by killatopak

I'm not from the US. In my country it's over a thousand cases a year and 300 of those are dead.

Yeah, sorry, I saw that after posting. Your concern makes more sense and it's better to be safe than sorry given the environment.
Abstrusity
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:34 AM)
Abstrusity's Avatar
rip in peace
killatopak
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:46 AM)
killatopak's Avatar

Originally Posted by wedca

The other thing that is cool about getting treated now is that you are basically invincible to rabies for a long time so you can get bit as much as you want without problem.

I'm jealous of any place that has free treatments for medical stuff. My gaming budget would be ruined if I was in the OP's situation in the country I live in.

It's not actually 'free' it was covered by my medical card (closest would probably be health insurance in the US. There is one card per family member that is given by the company my father works for so it's not essentially free but for us it's the same thing.)

The good news though is that in the country there really is free vaccines. The problem is that it's only annually given and you have to line up since most are waiting for the free vaccines. I don't know if there are post rabies vaccines but surely there are preventive ones.
Spyware
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:56 AM)
Spyware's Avatar

Originally Posted by Media

Again I will say the throwing up is a concern, not for the OP but for the puppy. Is it also having really loose stools? If so, take it to the vet, because it's likely going to die of parvo.

It will probably happen anyway. Taken as a three week old pup (maybe younger) from it's mother and allowed to roam free. That's pretty much asking for a sick pup. :(
echoshifting
Banned
(04-21-2017, 07:01 AM)
echoshifting's Avatar

Originally Posted by killatopak

It's not actually 'free' it was covered by my medical card (closest would probably be health insurance in the US. There is one card per family member that is given by the company my father works for so it's not essentially free but for us it's the same thing.)

The good news though is that in the country there really is free vaccines. The problem is that it's only annually given and you have to line up since most are waiting for the free vaccines. I don't know if there are post rabies vaccines but surely there are preventive ones.

There is a rabies vaccine but as I understand it, it's still multiple shots plus a couple of boosters on a tight schedule, and you should still get at least one more shot if you are at risk.

So, on an individual level, that's not very attractive unless you are at high risk (so like if you were a bat handler). And it would be super unattractive for general public health outreach...you could use the money much more efficiently in many ways
Unbounded
Member
(04-21-2017, 07:08 AM)
Unbounded's Avatar
It's a puppy.

Puppies have sharp teeth.

Go to bed.
A Human Becoming
Member
(04-21-2017, 07:13 AM)
A Human Becoming's Avatar

Originally Posted by Unbounded

It's a puppy.

Puppies have sharp teeth.

Go to bed.

You'd benefit from skimming through the thread like I did. The OP had some valid concerns.
Trojita
Rapid Response Threadmaker
(04-21-2017, 07:19 AM)
Trojita's Avatar

Originally Posted by Reversed


Threat to mankind.

skullmuffins
Member
(04-21-2017, 07:20 AM)
skullmuffins's Avatar

Originally Posted by A Human Becoming

You'd benefit from skimming through the thread like I did. The OP had some valid concerns.

To be fair, OP lives in an area with a relatively high incidence of rabies so it can't hurt to be safe, but you can't deny that the list of observed possible rabies symptoms actually just normal puppy behavior was some good shit.

Originally Posted by killatopak

Muscle spasms a little while sleeping.
Curiously wanting to bite everyone.
Vomitting( I only saw this today).
She likes to sleep under couches( i don't know if this constitutes as being sensitive to light)

Liljagare
Member
(04-21-2017, 07:52 AM)
Liljagare's Avatar
Tetanus shots up to date?
Escargo
Member
(04-21-2017, 07:52 AM)
Escargo's Avatar
Try giving the puppy water? Usually a common symptom is hydrophobia.
Nostremitus
Member
(04-21-2017, 09:10 AM)
Nostremitus's Avatar

Originally Posted by TAJ

Did you not see the part where the OP was diagnosing the dog? OP thinks it's possibly rabid because it displays the traits of a puppy.

Did you not see the part where the extremely deadly disease is fairly common where he is?

Doesn't matter if he was pretty sure it wasn't acting at all like it had rabies, he still should have gotten the shots as a precaution.

Like I said before, once a person starts showing symptoms, it's likely too late and they are going to die. Get shots if there's even a slight possibility.
Rabid-Coot
Member
(04-21-2017, 09:15 AM)
Rabid-Coot's Avatar

Originally Posted by How About No

You have to slay the original before it's too late

Just noticed ghost dog in the corner.
ItWasMeantToBe19
Member
(04-21-2017, 09:17 AM)
ItWasMeantToBe19's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nostremitus

Did you not see the part where the extremely deadly disease is fairly common where he is?

Doesn't matter if he was pretty sure it wasn't acting at all like it had rabies, he still should have gotten the shots as a precaution.

Like I said before, once a person starts showing symptoms, it's likely too late and they are going to die. Get shots if there's even a slight possibility.

I think we can say, regardless of country, "This puppy bites and hides a lot, must have rabies." is pretty bad analysis.
Stasis
Member
(04-21-2017, 09:17 AM)
Stasis's Avatar
Always a rabies check as has been mentioned depending on location/situation.

Cats require a check no matter what/where. Didn't read thread so dunno if mentioned, but that can be way worse. High school teacher had permanently bent/locked finger because of this. Researched it and was amazed. Can be real dangerous.
Freshmaker
I am Korean.
(04-21-2017, 09:36 AM)
Freshmaker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zoe


They wouldn't kill a puppy, they'd quarantine it.

Yeah. A doctor might start the OP on the rabies treatment if they think there's sufficient cause to worry.

Though OP, again, the odds of being infected by a domestic dog in the US is vanishingly small.

If the puppy was really a raccoon or something then you might want to worry. (If you're in the UK though, there are very few rabies carriers even among the wildlife)

You need to be in a relatively poor country with lots of wild dogs roaming the streets before you have to worry about rabies in dogs.
DJKhaled
Member
(04-21-2017, 09:38 AM)
DJKhaled's Avatar
First of all lmao. Second of all, what hospital shuts at night? Wtf type of shit is that?
Auto_aim1
MeisaMcCaffrey
(04-21-2017, 09:44 AM)
Auto_aim1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zoe

They don't do that anymore.

Originally Posted by killatopak

They didn't inject it in my stomach but on both arms,legs and the finger itself. It's relatively painless with minor discomfort on the finger since it swelled when they injected a lot in it.

Oh I didn't know. I had my shots a long time ago.
Cappa
Member
(04-21-2017, 09:45 AM)
Cappa's Avatar

Originally Posted by killatopak

Sigh. I don't want to get laughed and humiliated but here's the wound. Sigh. Gaf sometimes makes me believe I'm ignorant to the world. Well at least I'm not that paranoid anymore. I will still go see the vet though since it's just a few steps away.

Hahahaha no this can't be serious
killatopak
Member
(04-21-2017, 09:56 AM)
killatopak's Avatar

Originally Posted by DJKhaled

First of all lmao. Second of all, what hospital shuts at night? Wtf type of shit is that?

Regular activities like check-up and visiting are only allowed on certain times. ER is always open.

Originally Posted by Freshmaker

Yeah. A doctor might start the OP on the rabies treatment if they think there's sufficient cause to worry.

Though OP, again, the odds of being infected by a domestic dog in the US is vanishingly small.

If the puppy was really a raccoon or something then you might want to worry. (If you're in the UK though, there are very few rabies carriers even among the wildlife)

You need to be in a relatively poor country with lots of wild dogs roaming the streets before you have to worry about rabies in dogs.


Unfortunately this is where I'm at.

Originally Posted by Cappa

Hahahaha no this can't be serious

You know, I was trying to laugh it off as well. A puppy that size and a wound that small? I was waiting for the laughter on the vets and doctors like how most of the thread was saying except it didn't happen. They were dead serious. I inquired about everything the posters were saying initially but really they were adamant that it wasn't the case for our country. It's not like I want to get injected 7 times by these large syringes. I know the vet wasn't lying since he is my uncle. Also there was a post buried in this thread about his uncle's wife dying of rabies from a puppy bite.
Last edited by killatopak; 04-21-2017 at 10:06 AM.
TAJ
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
(04-21-2017, 10:00 AM)
TAJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stasis

Always a rabies check as has been mentioned depending on location/situation

Rabies check for all dog nips? Wow, this thread is really going places.
NeoGold123
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:08 AM)
NeoGold123's Avatar

Originally Posted by TAJ

Rabies check for all dog nips? Wow, this thread is really going places.

Missed that "depending on situation/location" qualifier. In this case OP had valid concerns due to his location, in other places it's obviously not such a big problem and not as concerning.
TAJ
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
(04-21-2017, 10:15 AM)
TAJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by NeoGold123

Missed that "depending on situation/location" qualifier. In this case OP had valid concerns due to his location, in other places it's obviously not such a big problem and not as concerning.

I didn't miss "always", though.
Raysoul
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:20 AM)
Raysoul's Avatar
Hi OP, I'm also in the Philippines and have heard of similar stories regarding a Puppy having a rabies. Let me first tell you that I was bitten countless times by puppies, dogs, hamster, cockroaches, and cats. So you could say I'm an expert (in being bitten by animals).

First, high chance that the puppy doesn't have rabbies. The puppy having a high chance of rabbies is a myth. If the puppy is not a street dog, or doesn't interact with them, then it won't have it. Also, street dogs having rabbies also is non-existent. Most rabbies cases happened years ago, and usually in remote provinces.

Second, it's definitely okay to have you vaccinated. It's not that you need it, but your family needs to have a peace of mind that you are safe. That is part of our culture.
autumnleaf
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:20 AM)
autumnleaf's Avatar
A 2 week old puppy? I'm sure it's fine.
NeoGold123
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:22 AM)
NeoGold123's Avatar

Originally Posted by TAJ

I didn't miss "always", though.

The qualifier of the statement is "depending", which modifies the "always". It could also be read as "Depending on the situation/location, always..." which again, in this instance, is prudent advice.
Mendrox
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:25 AM)
Mendrox's Avatar
Man, this community was really better once. About 95% of the people in this thread laugh about OPs concern. Not everyone lives in the US of fucking A (fortunately). Not cool even if it's "just a puppy". The OP had legit concerns.

But yeah everyone is so tough in here and lives in miracle world (how much do you love your US healthcare system? lol).
Dunkley
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:40 AM)
Dunkley's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mendrox

Man, this community was really better once. About 95% of the people in this thread laugh about OPs concern. Not everyone lives in the US of fucking A (fortunately). Not cool even if it's "just a puppy". The OP had legit concerns.

But yeah everyone is so tough in here and lives in miracle world (how much do you love your US healthcare system? lol).

I don't think about it too much given that a sizable percentage of Gaffers including me don't live in the US?

Either way though, you are right, if it is of concern to the OP it should be treated at least with a form of respect.

@OP: I personally have to say from what you said in the OP you just about already did everything you can do, the bite doesn't really seem to have penetrated enough to wreak any havoc and you disinfecting it should do the trick although alcohol might leave a scar at worst.

As for puppies having rabies, I agree with Raysoul that it is mostly a myth. The chances are very slim the puppies actually had rabies so I wouldn't worry too much especially with you having done the necessary steps to clean up the wound.

My personal guess? You'll be fine. It's okay to be worried but I doubt this is one of the times you really have to.
Last edited by Dunkley; 04-21-2017 at 10:45 AM.
killatopak
Member
(04-21-2017, 10:41 AM)
killatopak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Raysoul

Hi OP, I'm also in the Philippines and have heard of similar stories regarding a Puppy having a rabies. Let me first tell you that I was bitten countless times by puppies, dogs, hamster, cockroaches, and cats. So you could say I'm an expert (in being bitten by animals).

First, high chance that the puppy doesn't have rabbies. The puppy having a high chance of rabbies is a myth. If the puppy is not a street dog, or doesn't interact with them, then it won't have it. Also, street dogs having rabbies also is non-existent. Most rabbies cases happened years ago, and usually in remote provinces.

Second, it's definitely okay to have you vaccinated. It's not that you need it, but your family needs to have a peace of mind that you are safe. That is part of our culture.

Hello, thank you for the advise and yes, I was trying to be cool about everything but you know how filipino families nag about these so I figured I had to go for the vaccine for peace of mind of me and my relatives.

In my case, there are no stray dogs roaming around our area. It's cats that are there. I know two of the cats that stay outside the house, in fact I even feed it but there are almost a dozen of them near and more of them are visiting our place to mate(most of the cats near us are females). I'm absolutely sure none of the "native" cats have symptoms of cat rabies but I'm not so sure about the "guests".

The first thing the vet told me is which dog bit me since we do have our own dog. So I told him no it's the other one the puppy. He immedietly asked me if it's the one just roaming around in front of our house with no leash and is free to go wherever. When I said yes, he said that I need to get the vaccines just to be safe. I asked him about puppies having rabies and he assured me it's true that puppies won't have rabies assuming they stay at home and is supervised or if no wild animals are nearby. In our case both are not true so it increases the risks a bit hence his advise to get vaccinated.

Originally Posted by Dunkley

I don't think about it too much given that a sizable percentage of Gaffers including me don't live in the US?

Either way though, you are right, if it is of concern to the OP it should be treated at least with a form of respect. I personally have to say from what you said in the OP you just about already did everything you can do, the bite doesn't really seem to have penetrated enough to wreak any havoc and you disinfecting it should do the trick although alcohol might leave a scar at worst.

As for puppies having rabies, I agree with Raysoul that it is mostly a myth. The chances are very slim the puppies actually had rabies so I wouldn't worry too much especially with you having done the necessary steps to clean up the wound.

My personal guess? You'll be fine. It's okay to be worried but I doubt this is one of the times you really have to.

I really want to believe in gaf that the puppy doesn't have rabies but out neighbors and family members insiste that I just take the vaccines. They give out anecdotal saying or myths. You can feel they are really worried about you and it feels like confirmation bias or just doing it out of respect and quelling their fears.

I am aware of the myths our country have like rabies wound should be doused in vinegar, garlic or both. Cutting off the head of the dog to know if there is rabies, all dogs beong born having rabies and only vaccinated dogs are safe etc. I still think family virtue is the strongest in our country and it's in our nature to worry about the smallest of thing even illogical ones. So I think we should just chalk it up to culture and if the puppy does not have rabies then all the more I would be relieved.

In my case, being wrong about the dog having rabies or any other infection(it's been ten years since my last anti-tetanus) is no bigie. I would congratulate everyone about it but being right is another thing and is not a something to be celebrated since I would be dead if I hadn't taken precautions.
Last edited by killatopak; 04-21-2017 at 10:57 AM.
sc0la
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:00 AM)
sc0la's Avatar
Puppyman, Puppyman,
Does whatever a puppy can
Wags his tail, bites a hand,
He can sit on command
Look Out!
Here comes the Puppyman.

Is that all?
Listen bud,
Maybe got some rabies blood.
Should I start a GAF thread
You are already dead
Look out!
There goes the Puppyman.
Risible
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:52 AM)
Risible's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mendrox

Man, this community was really better once. About 95% of the people in this thread laugh about OPs concern. Not everyone lives in the US of fucking A (fortunately). Not cool even if it's "just a puppy". The OP had legit concerns.

But yeah everyone is so tough in here and lives in miracle world (how much do you love your US healthcare system? lol).

You're so high and mighty and yet there's a post from his own countryman literally just above yours saying the chances of the dog have rabies is slim to none. Is that good enough for you, as it's not coming from us stupid Americans on this America-based message board you frequent?
Einchy
semen stains the mountaintops
(04-21-2017, 11:57 AM)
Einchy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Risible

You're so high and mighty and yet there's a post from his own countryman literally just above yours saying the chances of the dog have rabies is slim to none. Is that good enough for you, as it's not coming from us stupid Americans on this America-based message board you frequent?

What I want to know is when this community was "better" and when did it get worse cus I don't know a time when this thread wouldn't have been funny.
Mendrox
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:32 PM)
Mendrox's Avatar

Originally Posted by Risible

You're so high and mighty and yet there's a post from his own countryman literally just above yours saying the chances of the dog have rabies is slim to none. Is that good enough for you, as it's not coming from us stupid Americans on this America-based message board you frequent?

Yes thank you. Thank you for your attention. Now I am glad that everything is fine and all the past bullshit posts are also erased.

Look at the first page and you will see more high and mighty posts.
The Salt Life
Banned
(04-21-2017, 12:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Prost

A 2 week old puppy? Must have like the tiniest little cute teeth. I srsly doubt it has rabies. Watch the wound, if it gets very red, swollen and feeling hot, it may be infected and need a doctor visit. Otherwise you're fine.

Actually, puppy teeth are much much much sharper than regular adult size teeth. Still doesn't change he the fact that OP really has nothing to worry about, put a little Neosporin and a band aid on it and you're good.

Originally Posted by Media

Again I will say the throwing up is a concern, not for the OP but for the puppy. Is it also having really loose stools? If so, take it to the vet, because it's likely going to die of parvo.

Or it could just need some rice mixed in with its food to bulk up the stool like what's done with most puppies. Maybe some pumpkin mixed in. Now if the dog is constantly eating grass forcing it to throw up on more than two occasions in the same day, then yeah bring to the vet.
Last edited by The Salt Life; 04-21-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Marow
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:54 PM)
Marow's Avatar
Since you've now taken the vaccine, I hope you consider getting other vaccines you might not have already. It's good for you, particularly if you can get them free.
Out_Of_Ammo
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:56 PM)
Out_Of_Ammo's Avatar
The most disturbing thing in this thread is that the puppy apparently got seperated from its mother before it was even a month old. Normally puppies have to be at least 2 months before you can take them home, usually even a bit older.
Nosgotham
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:11 PM)
I got bit by a dog when I was young. Small bite on wrist and got blood poisoning from it. Veins literally looked black. It was crazy. Anyways just keep an eye on it.

I got bit by my big ass German shepherd like 17 times. They just quarantined him for two weeks to make sure he wasn't rabid. (It was my damn fault, I tried to pull him off a girl dog instead of getting the hose)

Thread Tools