• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

GK86
Homeland Security Fail
(03-02-2017, 02:35 PM)
Witness it here.

Set in Iraq in 2003, Sand Castle follows a group of American soldiers in the early days of the second Gulf War. Bearing witness to the heat and the horror is the inexperienced Private Matt Ocre (Nicholas Hoult), who, together with several fellow soldiers, is ordered to the outskirts of Baqubah to repair a water pumping station damaged by U.S. bombs. But, as Ocre discovers, in an atmosphere where resentment and anger fester, trying to win the hearts and minds of the locals is a task fraught with danger. ItÂ’s here, in the streets, squares and schools that he discovers the true cost of war. The film stars Nicholas Hoult, Henry Cavill, Glen Powell, Logan Marshall-Green, Beau Knapp, Neil Brown Jr., Parker Sawyers, Sam Spruell, Sammy Sheik, Tommy Flanagan and is available only on Netflix April 21.

Geist-
(03-02-2017, 02:36 PM)
That sounds pretty cool actually. I'll be watching.

Edit: Looks fantastic.
number11
(03-02-2017, 02:39 PM)
lol Just how many trailers are Netflix gonna release this week?
The Exploder
(03-02-2017, 02:42 PM)
In for Hoult, out for Cavill.
GK86
Homeland Security Fail
(03-02-2017, 02:45 PM)

Originally Posted by number11

All of them.
Hashmal_Bringer_of_Order
(03-02-2017, 02:46 PM)

Originally Posted by The Exploder

I thought Cavil was the best part of Man from UNCLE, so i think he has potential beyond DC.

Sort of like how Hayden Christensen is great in Awake and Shattered Glass
jrush64
(03-02-2017, 02:47 PM)

Originally Posted by The Exploder

In for Cavill, Out for Hoult
Dead Prince
(03-02-2017, 02:49 PM)

Originally Posted by number11

until they have nothing left to show.

not a bad thing. i need some stuff to watch anyways.
Hoho for breakfast
(03-02-2017, 02:51 PM)
Will watch looks good.
Lifeline
(03-02-2017, 02:52 PM)
So many announcements this week. We get it Netflix, you're working with everyone on everything.
Szu
(03-02-2017, 02:59 PM)
At least, Cavill is embracing his hairline.
Extra Sauce
(03-02-2017, 03:03 PM)
I feel like Netflix is having a midlife crisis. Buying new shit every day to fill the void.

The void left from losing a decent selection of older movies.
Last edited by Extra Sauce; 03-02-2017 at 03:08 PM.
camajise
(03-02-2017, 03:19 PM)
How if Netflix profiting paying off so many of these superstars like will Smith?
LFMartins86
(03-02-2017, 03:20 PM)

Originally Posted by camajise

How if Netflix profiting paying off so many of these superstars like will Smith?

They have nearly 100 million subscribers. That's almost 1B$ coming in every month.
sant
Banned
(03-02-2017, 03:23 PM)
How much longer can Netflix last by spending so much on original content? Too lazy to do the research for myself
The Hobo
(03-02-2017, 03:27 PM)
Netflix don't finance all of their Netflix Original shows. In a lot of cases, they simply distribute.
Ricky_R
Netflix is spending like nuts.

Edit: ^^^ That makes sense.
Badgerst3
Generation Kill

Gen 2
envi123
(03-02-2017, 03:44 PM)

Originally Posted by jrush64

In for Cavill, Out for Hoult

Out for Cavill, out for Hoult, in for Powell.
Samurai G0SU
(03-02-2017, 05:48 PM)
nice, i am diggin it.
strafer
(04-21-2017, 12:19 PM)
A Clip.

Great accent Cavill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PXWhZun_3s

Also, it's up on Netflix.
Last edited by strafer; 04-21-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Lifeline
(04-21-2017, 12:28 PM)
33% on Rotten Tomatoes

Any GAF impressions?
Coxy100
(04-21-2017, 12:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Lifeline

33% on Rotten Tomatoes

Any GAF impressions?

Damn, thats a shame - trailer looked promising.
Discotheque
Pam Oliver sextape
(04-21-2017, 12:54 PM)

Originally Posted by strafer

A Clip.

Great accent Cavill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PXWhZun_3s

Also, it's up on Netflix.

meh its on and off, sounds like he's got food in his mouth. they can't all pull off a southern accent.

like the cast, especially hoult but eh movie doesn't seem that good.
fushi
(04-21-2017, 01:33 PM)
Trailer looked like a more sentimental version of Generation Kill.

Originally Posted by Lifeline

33% on Rotten Tomatoes

Any GAF impressions?

Oh well.
Matticers
(05-01-2017, 08:16 PM)
This is kind of a random bump but I searched to see if there was a thread about this movie before watching it. There weren't many impressions here so I figured I'd give it a watch anyway and... I enjoyed it. It won't blow you away but it's a solid movie. I think this comment from the youtube link above gives a nice little review of the movie and mirrors my feelings about it:

"I watched Sand Castle the moment it came out, since I just adore Cavill. He didn't have a huge role in this movie, but his character was entertaining nonetheless. chris roessner the screenwriter (his first movie), describes Captain Syverson in an interview as an amalgamation of about 6 or so different people including his impression of his own father (a career military man) as a sort of easter egg for himself. Roessner is also a iraq war veteran, so maybe is this the first War movie about the iraq war, written by an iraq war vet? Maybe.

This isn't a big guns blazing, hot in the trenches type of war movie. It's more of a personal story, about not belonging, lacking confidence, and experiencing personal transformation through experiences that test your resolve and mettle. It's about shame & redemption. And this makes it really authentic. It has some good emotional and action beats to it. Nicholas Hoult is really fantastic and believable. Logan Marshall Green also co-stars, very good as well. I'd recommend giving it a watch. It's not a true story, but it is a story crafted from the personal experiences of someone who's been there. That also makes it more intriguing to get inside the mind of someone who brings an authentic experience of the less romanticized idea of war.

Also directed by Fernando Coimbra of Narcos."

I'd give it a watch if the trailer/that review interests you at all. It's certainly not a terrible movie by any means like the rotten tomatoes score might make you believe. I liked it well enough, especially if you're in the mood for a modern sort of war movie. Even though it's not exactly big on the "war" aspect since it focuses more on the personal struggle side of things.