• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Farsi
(04-21-2017, 07:58 AM)
Already mentioned a bunch but Godzilla (2014), barely remember the movie but the main trailer still gives me goosebumps to this day.
DerZuhälter
(04-21-2017, 08:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Fancy Clown

Worst part of this was they came out the same year. After Prometheus sucked I was like "OH WELL AT LEAST DKR WONT LET ME DOWN" lol

Good thing you weren't invested in The Hobbit. We all forgot about that one. Didn't we. But yeah. In 2012 we were excited about these 3 movies.
Sgt. Kabukiman
(04-21-2017, 08:04 AM)
Suicide Squad had such a great marketing campaign.
And then they tried to turn the actual movie into the marketing campaign...
My favorite trailer in recent memory and the worst movie I saw in theatres in 2016.

On the other hand, I might be one of the few people for whom Man of Steel completely delivered on its trailers.
ThankeeSai
(04-21-2017, 08:09 AM)
Agree with a lot here, but most recently it's Passengers (huge spoilers)

Due to a line at the end of the trailer spoken by Chris Pratt, it was made out as if there was some sort of mystery element as to why he and Jennifer Lawrence were woken up. Said line was never spoken in the film and there was absolutely no mystery to it at all.

Also in the trailer, it shows Andy Garcia - he is literally in the film for one shot that lasts seconds. The shot you see in the trailer is all you see if him.
DeathyBoy
(04-21-2017, 08:09 AM)

Originally Posted by TheChewyWaffles

I haven't heard that before, but I like the idea. Hardy and Dicaprio's roles should have been reversed.

Tom Hardy's incomprehensible accent was a thing of beauty though. We can't lose out in that. Maybe if he played both characters...
Razgriz-Specter
(04-21-2017, 08:23 AM)
Suicide Squad, trailer was probably top 5 all time for me.
Apt101
(04-21-2017, 08:52 AM)
I'm going way back to Matrix Revolutions. I liked Reloaded and had the highest hopes for the conclusion. What a big ol' corn-filled turd that turned out to be.

More modern times is easily Man of Steel.
True Savior
(04-21-2017, 10:29 AM)
mos is a snyder movie and prometheus a neo-scott one. If you had certain expectations you were just fooling yourself.

Less about trailers but more about movie-hype, to me it was Avatar. I thought Titanic was a one off-thing. A small derail that all directors have. I imagined that the long break allowed Cameron to inspire himself. Nope. He really lost it. After 1 year or so I checked the extended version and in the first 5-10 minutes you see some future imagery which is straight out of some hollywood hack. It's hard to believe what happened to Jimbo. Dude is dead and being impersonated by someone else. It's the only explanation.
jsnepo
(04-21-2017, 10:39 AM)
Superman Returns
Man of Steel
Prometheus
The Force Awakens
ClivePwned
(04-21-2017, 10:46 AM)
Phantom Menace. Great teaser, decent full trailer and then there was the movie. I started watching it again last night (So I can watch R1 and TFA again in story order leading up to TLJ). I was lucky in that a) I knew where Lucas was going after his tinkering with the Special Editions and b) I'd heard enough poor word of mouth from friends before I got to see it.

More recently, BvS. I liked the trailers leading up to release. I missed it at the cinemas based on reviews and waited for the extended version. Which was still a swing and a miss but not a total loss. It just could have been, should have been a lot better. I can't imagine how much worse the film would have been with a lot of that extra stuff cut out as was in the theatrical release

Possibly Suicide Squad, but still found the film entertaining enough in a dumb way. It does prove trailer editors are great at that and really, really should not do full films.

The Justice League trailer looks meh. I look at it the same way I look at Fast and Furious or San Andreas- films I have no interest in. Hopefully, the movie will go the opposite way and be a better film than the trai... couldn't even finish that.
Dunkley
(04-21-2017, 10:47 AM)
The Last Airbender movie.

Mostly because I couldn't tell just how poorly all the scenes were connected to eachother.
vio
(04-21-2017, 11:04 AM)
Prometheus - Just..terrible.
Man Of Steel - One of my favorite superhero movies ever. But that trailer 3 made it look like it is going to be TDK quality storytelling +awesome action+incredible soundtrack.
0ptimusPayne
(04-21-2017, 11:17 AM)
Avengers: Age of Ultron no strings on me trailer got me crazy hyped after seeing the ultron reveal at the end..Movie was just ok, and Ultron was a terrible villain imo.
Skulldead
(04-21-2017, 12:21 PM)
Clash of The Titan, the bad-ass song in the trailer don't even play in the movie at all, one of the worst action movie i saw...
hwalker84
(04-21-2017, 12:34 PM)
Max Payne trailer had me hyped for hopefully a decent videogame movie

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qHPFoD6Zpp8
kapowza
(04-21-2017, 12:38 PM)

Originally Posted by A Serious Man

I'll leave aside all the franchise picks (Star Wars, The Matrix sequels, etc.) and say 300. The only reason it was on anyones radar was because it had the most hype trailer ever. Merely being a decent action movie was a big letdown.

I agree. I was a big fan of the comic and the trailer made it look like the most bomb-ass thing ever with that delivery of the big line and a great NIN track but the movie was shiite.

The most disappointing trailer ever was for the live action Thunderbirds movie. It started with a pool pulling back to reveal a launchpad and I thought they'd made a GIGANTOR movie. I was all like HOLY SHIT and then my hopes were crushed. Also my initial reaction made me look like a massive Thunderbirds geek.
Last edited by kapowza; 04-21-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Camper Van Beethoven
(04-21-2017, 12:43 PM)
Absolutely nothing comes close to phantom menace.
kapowza
(04-21-2017, 12:51 PM)
the Episode 1 trailer had a big 'nooooooooo' in it. Everyone should have realised it was going to be bollocks.
plufim
(04-21-2017, 12:51 PM)

Originally Posted by TheMan

prometheus

Ding ding. First post does it again.
Experien
(04-21-2017, 12:52 PM)
I want to say TFA but you know you are going to get that type of film with Abrams in charge.

Prometheus
Spider-man 3
Logan (it was alright but that trailer was AMAZING)
Independence Day 2

This is a hard list for me since I try to avoid trailers.
GeordieMark
(04-21-2017, 12:53 PM)
Spawn. The trailer looked amazing. The movie is the worst I have ever seen.
Eternal Gamer
(04-21-2017, 12:54 PM)
Prometheus so much, the trailer was scarier than the movie.
IlGialloMondadori
(04-21-2017, 12:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Amneziak

Of all time—Phantom Menace.

Easily. I'd say, Phantom Menace, Prometheus, and then maybe Highlander 2?
Nothing can compare to this triple crown of shit. Indy IV sucked, but after Star Wars, I knew chances were high.

EDIT: the highlander 2 trailer for reference. I mean, it's not great, but as a kid, I loved Highlander. When I saw this trailer, late at night after SNL, I was so stoked, not knowing one of the worst steaming cinematic turds of all time awaited me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRgJVvoihCQ
Last edited by IlGialloMondadori; 04-21-2017 at 12:59 PM.
K Clue iXi
(04-21-2017, 12:55 PM)
Battle Los Angeles
Steejee
(04-21-2017, 12:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Experien

Logan (it was alright but that trailer was AMAZING)

HEATHEN! Logan was one of those rare movies where I thought the amazing trailer was topped by the movie itself (another being Fury Road)

Digging through the memory hole a little, GoT Seasons 4 and 5 trailers were pretty awesome, those seasons...not so much. I expected that going in (having read book 4 and 5). Not to say they were bad, just a bit of a let down overall. Hardhome probably redeemed season 5 though.
SpideySenses
(04-21-2017, 01:00 PM)
Suicide Squad, absolutely loved the trailers, saw the reviews so didn't watch at release, watched it later with muted expectations and was still horribly disappointed. No idea how it's rated the same as BvS.
I Big JG I
(04-21-2017, 01:01 PM)
Medellin

But seriously. Godzilla, mad max, and the final two matrix movies.
MilkyJoe
(04-21-2017, 01:02 PM)

Without a shadow of a doubt
amanset
(04-21-2017, 01:04 PM)

The correct answer.

If you weren't at least in your late teens in 1999 you just will never, ever understand.
ricardo_sousa11
(04-21-2017, 01:09 PM)
MAD MAX

What a terrible movie, stunning action scenes but absolutely 0 story...very disapointing.
amanset
(04-21-2017, 01:14 PM)

Originally Posted by McNum

This is no contest.

Every generation has a legend...
Every journey has a first step...
Every saga has a beginning...
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Look at that trailer. Star Wars was returning! And we'd get to see the origin of Darth Vader! And it was going to be so very awesome! How could it not? It was a NEW Star Wars movie!

That trailer was an event. People would go to the movies to see that trailer and leave before the movie started. You could actually download it in potato cam format and watch it at home! There is no bigger trailer than Star Wars Episode I. There may be worse movies to have good trailers, but in sheer trailer hype, you cannot beat it, probably ever. And then we got Jar Jar. And politics. And creepy Yoda. Even if Episode 1 had been good, it would never have lived up to its trailer hype. Nothing short of utterly amazing would have done that.

I saw it for the first time on The Big Breakfast in the UK. It seemed like the whole show that day was about the trailer. I recorded it on VHS because how else was I going to rewatch it? They had fans on just to watch it and react, I thought they were going to cry with joy.

I remember seeing the trailer in the Odeon in Ealing, London. I think it was before "Star Trek: Insurrection". I called my Mum whilst walking home. It was only a five minute walk but I had to do it then. I could barely form sentences. I was acting like four year old on Christmas Day, whereas in reality I was a twenty-four year old that had waited for the return of Star Wars for fifteen years.

It is just so hard to explain. I've not seen anything since then to get even a fraction of the hype that was around that trailer.

And then the film was fucking shite.
gamz
(04-21-2017, 01:17 PM)
I'd say Godzilla and I really liked Godzilla, but that marketing campaign was the shit of legend. I was so hyped I couldn't help but be let down.
amanset
(04-21-2017, 01:25 PM)
Another thing about The Phantom Menace that younger people and Americans may be less aware of:

Back then it was still really common for films to be released in the US quite some time before large parts of the rest of the world. It used to be way worse, with six month waits, but it was only with the advent of illegal downloading that they moved towards worldwide releases at pretty much the same time.

I mean, look at the release dates for The Phantom Menace. The UK was a full two months after the US. Because of this I had friends that traveled to the US specifically to see the film. That's how hyped they still were. They'd go for a few days, see the film a few times and then come home. And back then that was not cheap.
psynergylover
(04-21-2017, 01:40 PM)
Forbidden Kingdom

For month all they showed was Jackie Chan vs Jet Li or finally together for the first time...then it turned out to be some white man in a land of foreigners on a journey of self discovery....

The fight between Jackie Chan and Jet Li lasted like 2 minutes....
Theecliff
(04-21-2017, 01:50 PM)
maybe only god forgives? the trailer with 2020 by suuns playing is probably one of my favourite trailers of all time. i don't hate the film but i did find myself a little bit disappointed when i finally got round to seeing, especially considering that i loved drive.

also agree with a lot of people that man of steel's 3rd trailer was superb. shame the film didn't live up to it.

Originally Posted by SpideySenses

Suicide Squad, absolutely loved the trailers, saw the reviews so didn't watch at release, watched it later with muted expectations and was still horribly disappointed. No idea how it's rated the same as BvS.

honestly, this confuses me as well. i didn't particularly like bvs but it doesn't even come close to the shitiness that was suicide squad.
WaterAstro
(04-21-2017, 01:54 PM)
Man of Steel

Godlike trailer that was chronologically ordered, then we get some fucked up time travelling mess of a shitshow.
DoctorFling
(04-21-2017, 01:57 PM)
Age of Ultron. Didn't hate the film but they really dropped the ball on one of the best villains in comics.
PeskyToaster
(04-21-2017, 01:58 PM)

Originally Posted by DerZuhälter

Good thing you weren't invested in The Hobbit. We all forgot about that one. Didn't we. But yeah. In 2012 we were excited about these 3 movies.

Forgot about the Hobbit. That first trailer for it was amazing.
kurahador
Banned
(04-21-2017, 01:58 PM)

Originally Posted by psynergylover

Forbidden Kingdom

For month all they showed was Jackie Chan vs Jet Li or finally together for the first time...then it turned out to be some white man in a land of foreigners on a journey of self discovery....

The fight between Jackie Chan and Jet Li lasted like 2 minutes....

Holy shit. I forgot about this. Fuck this movie seriously.
Accoun
(04-21-2017, 02:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Angry Chair

I forgot about this one. Has there ever been a more misleading trailer?

Jarhead (I think that was the one, haven't watched it) and Drive were both non-action movies promoted as action movies IIRC.
amanset
(04-21-2017, 02:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Angry Chair

I forgot about this one. Has there ever been a more misleading trailer?

Someone else mentioned "Reign of Fire". It was supposed to be armies versus dragons but that was relegated to a montage sequence and the rest was a post-apocalyptic survivalist flick.
Da-Kid
(04-21-2017, 02:02 PM)
I was unfortunately tricked by the Last Airbender trailers. But I only blame myself for trusting M. Night.
autumnleaf
(04-21-2017, 02:03 PM)
I was so hyped for Spider-Man 3 and with the glimpses of Venom in the trailer my expectations went through the roof.
MrS
(04-21-2017, 02:04 PM)
Rogue One

It's fucking terrible, lads
Da-Kid
(04-21-2017, 02:08 PM)

Originally Posted by MrS

Rogue One

It's fucking terrible, lads

Rogue One isn't terrible at all. It's Great to Good. I don't even get how you can associate it with being bad.
Mousnis
(04-21-2017, 02:08 PM)
Transformers.

The trailer looked amazing. I could hardly finish the movie itself.
GlenChivas
(04-21-2017, 02:09 PM)

Originally Posted by TheMan

prometheus

Nailed it.
Monochromaticx
(04-21-2017, 02:12 PM)
Prometheus already mentioned

Age of Ultron is another one
Blader
(04-21-2017, 02:13 PM)
I don't know about trailer hype, but off hand I can't think of a movie that was more different from what I expected out of it (in a disappointing way) than Spider-Man 3.
catashtrophe
(04-21-2017, 02:13 PM)
Prometheus

Age of Ultron.