• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

hey_monkey
Member
(05-17-2017, 05:35 AM)
hey_monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr. Worm

I guess it's possible that he's a mafia informed of a lack of a "casual pizza eater" as a cover role and going in balls-deep on assuming there isn't a token blue, but that's all I can come up with in terms of nefarious plot. Beyond that is... Ill-advised.

If you have any other ideas, I'm interested, but I don't see a reason to not trust it at this juncture.

I have a lot of ideas, but I think too heavy discussion of it at this juncture is equally ill-advised. We've already got sharks in the water snapping at anything that might possibly be related to some sort of chum. Which is also the biggest reason I'm not sure about Palmer's claim. It's typically a trustworthy one. But seeing how things are already developing and seeing as he's leaving and won't be here to discuss it due to prior plans - is he giving us good info or is he lighting a match?

I'm also willing to entertain the possibility that I'm being super paranoid because day one and jumping at shadows.
hey_monkey
Member
(05-17-2017, 05:36 AM)
hey_monkey's Avatar
Okay, but real talk, the important thing is... how's my new avatar? Cute or cutest?
30yearsofhurt
Member
(05-17-2017, 05:38 AM)
30yearsofhurt's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

...
So like I made grand declarations in the main thread about how I was gonna play differently since how I write apparently is what got me killed but surprise, it looks like I'm just gonna be me after all. I guess I don't know how to not come across as shady or whatever.

What got you lynched was town going full retard.
Sawneeks
Member
(05-17-2017, 06:01 AM)
Sawneeks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Palmer_v1

20 of us total, so assume 4 or 5 scum. There was a 94% chance they were hitting a power role anyway. Sure, that changes over time, but so does the value of a semi-confirmed townie. It also improves the odds of our PRs not getting wasted on me. I'm not worth protecting in any way, and it saves investigative roles some time, if they believe me.

My issue, besides robbing a PR of a potential extra Night, is that it places you in that weird 'just uncertain enough' zone that a Non-Survivor Neutral would thrive in. Scum wouldn't kill you unless they thought you were bluffing and we have no reason to lynch you besides a weird early claim but we also have no reason to 100% trust you either. You'd be in the perfect spot to go about for a few Day Phases to fulfill a Neutral Win Con and leave.

I also don't like the whole 'hey PRs just goooo elsewhere! thanks!'. You might be being honest here but we have no way to prove that other than your word in a social game about lying. :p
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-17-2017, 06:56 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

Okay, but real talk, the important thing is... how's my new avatar? Cute or cutest?

There's a distinct lack of pineapple on the pizza

I see no issues with Palmer's claim. I'm not really worried that he did it super early in the game, either; it gives us a good baseline for later should a PR contradict his claim.
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-17-2017, 06:57 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar
And honestly the argument that it's putting a PR at risk is kinda BS, IMO. Like...chances are Palmer's not gonna be on the chopping block today (just my gut read), so someone else will have to claim probably. It's kinda inevitable that at least one other role is put at risk.
Sawneeks
Member
(05-17-2017, 07:23 AM)
Sawneeks's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhereAreMahDragonz

And honestly the argument that it's putting a PR at risk is kinda BS, IMO. Like...chances are Palmer's not gonna be on the chopping block today (just my gut read), so someone else will have to claim probably. It's kinda inevitable that at least one other role is put at risk.

I'm not talking lynch, I'm talking NK. The benefit of being Ordinary is you can take a hit at Night instead of a Doctor or Cop dying. If Palmer is Town, him revealing he's 'ordinary' means Scum can ignore him and hit other players to look for PRs instead of accidentally killing someone without a power.
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-17-2017, 07:26 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sawneeks

I'm not talking lynch, I'm talking NK. The benefit of being Ordinary is you can take a hit at Night instead of a Doctor or Cop dying. If Palmer is Town, him revealing he's 'ordinary' means Scum can ignore him and hit other players to look for PRs instead of accidentally killing someone without a power.

Yes, but there is always the possibility that he's lying in order to conceal a PR. I still think the NK is kind of up in the air at this point.

All things considered I think whether or not he claims is a moot point. There are too many variables to consider. Although it does get people talking, which is good.
30yearsofhurt
Member
(05-17-2017, 07:28 AM)
30yearsofhurt's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhereAreMahDragonz

Yes, but there is always the possibility that he's lying in order to conceal a PR. I still think the NK is kind of up in the air at this point.

All things considered I think whether or not he claims is a moot point. There are too many variables to consider. Although it does get people talking, which is good.

Does that mean you haven't decided who to NK yet?
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-17-2017, 07:31 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by 30yearsofhurt

Does that mean you haven't decided who to NK yet?

yeah basically (╭☞'ω')╭☞
hey_monkey
Member
(05-17-2017, 07:32 AM)
hey_monkey's Avatar
I would argue there are almost no variables to consider, because all the variables are an x we can't solve for, but also today I learned that the problem with opening the prosecco is that then you have to drink all the prosecco and whoops, I was alone, so I would not listen to me at all. Right now, anyway.

BlackBuzzard, why did you like in your jokes reads? I'm a monkey who does like pineapple, just not on my pizza. I'm a pizza purist. You are totally suspicious.
hey_monkey
Member
(05-17-2017, 07:33 AM)
hey_monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhereAreMahDragonz

yeah basically (╭☞'ω')╭☞

omg yay let's use these more! ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Palmer_v1
Member
(05-17-2017, 07:33 AM)
Palmer_v1's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

I have a lot of ideas, but I think too heavy discussion of it at this juncture is equally ill-advised. We've already got sharks in the water snapping at anything that might possibly be related to some sort of chum. Which is also the biggest reason I'm not sure about Palmer's claim. It's typically a trustworthy one. But seeing how things are already developing and seeing as he's leaving and won't be here to discuss it due to prior plans - is he giving us good info or is he lighting a match?

I'm also willing to entertain the possibility that I'm being super paranoid because day one and jumping at shadows.

What else could I possibly say? It's either true, in which case I've literally told you everything I could possibly know, or I'm lying, in which case I would just keep lying.

Another factor here is that i'm fairly certain there's only one vanilla townie. Would scum or a neutral risk getting counter claimed so early?

Actually, gafia can be pretty stupid, so ask yourself if scum/neutral Palmer would do that?

Btw, if I was on the outside of this issue, I would absolutely want anyone who could counter claim to do so.
Palmer_v1
Member
(05-17-2017, 07:36 AM)
Palmer_v1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sawneeks

I'm not talking lynch, I'm talking NK. The benefit of being Ordinary is you can take a hit at Night instead of a Doctor or Cop dying. If Palmer is Town, him revealing he's 'ordinary' means Scum can ignore him and hit other players to look for PRs instead of accidentally killing someone without a power.

Meh. I think effectively being a named townie on d1 is more valuable than whatever PR might bite it. Also remember that scum will still want to get rid of confirmed townies as it dilutes the pool of lynch candidates.
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-17-2017, 07:38 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Palmer_v1

What else could I possibly say? It's either true, in which case I've literally told you everything I could possibly know, or I'm lying, in which case I would just keep lying.

Another factor here is that i'm fairly certain there's only one vanilla townie. Would scum or a neutral risk getting counter claimed so early?


Actually, gafia can be pretty stupid, so ask yourself if scum/neutral Palmer would do that?

Btw, if I was on the outside of this issue, I would absolutely want anyone who could counter claim to do so.

Just curious, what makes you think this? I'm not saying you're wrong, but rather, I'm interested in your thought process.
30yearsofhurt
Member
(05-17-2017, 07:38 AM)
30yearsofhurt's Avatar

Originally Posted by Palmer_v1

Meh. I think effectively being a named townie on d1 is more valuable than whatever PR might bite it. Also remember that scum will still want to get rid of confirmed townies as it dilutes the pool of lynch candidates.

If we lose someone important Imma policy lynching you D2.
SkyOdin
Member
(05-17-2017, 07:44 AM)
SkyOdin's Avatar
Can't we ignore roles entirely for just one day? I'm certain we will have plenty regarding them to distract us starting with Day 2, but Day 1 is just about the only day where they have zero relevance to our lynch discussion.

Besides, I am more concerned about scum lynching useful/active townies than important power roles. If Palmer makes himself useful as a scum-hunter, I could care less if he is vanilla, a power role, or even a neutral. If he starts acting scummy, I'll put my vote on him. Simple as that.
Palmer_v1
Member
(05-17-2017, 07:51 AM)
Palmer_v1's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhereAreMahDragonz

Just curious, what makes you think this? I'm not saying you're wrong, but rather, I'm interested in your thought process.

Which part? One vanilla? That's just the trope. Having multiple ordinaries dilutes the role madness and then what is even the point?

If you mean the claim part, it's just basic logic to me. If I were lying, the risks far outweighs the benefits. I could immediately get counter claimed, or I could get caught by an investigator of some type. I'm basically super townie as long as I stick to this extremely narrow path, but if town ever catches me stepping off, they should rightfully hammer me.

If this was a safe claim provided by sawneeks, why would I waste it? I have a perfect excuse to skate through D1 already. Regardless of that, I've never struggled to act like town anyway. I would have been far better off saving the claim for a more desperate player.
hey_monkey
Member
(05-17-2017, 07:59 AM)
hey_monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

Can't we ignore roles entirely for just one day? I'm certain we will have plenty regarding them to distract us starting with Day 2, but Day 1 is just about the only day where they have zero relevance to our lynch discussion.

Besides, I am more concerned about scum lynching useful/active townies than important power roles. If Palmer makes himself useful as a scum-hunter, I could care less if he is vanilla, a power role, or even a neutral. If he starts acting scummy, I'll put my vote on him. Simple as that.

My man.
Palmer_v1
Member
(05-17-2017, 08:00 AM)
Palmer_v1's Avatar
I was going to say I'm fairly risk averse as well, but then I remembered being a total dick about the archer missions, plus Star Wars in general. I was fairly low key for MGS and wrestling though. Pretty sure I was going out in a limb in anime though.

Just rambling now.

Fuck Volcano Island
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-17-2017, 08:11 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

Can't we ignore roles entirely for just one day? I'm certain we will have plenty regarding them to distract us starting with Day 2, but Day 1 is just about the only day where they have zero relevance to our lynch discussion.

Besides, I am more concerned about scum lynching useful/active townies than important power roles. If Palmer makes himself useful as a scum-hunter, I could care less if he is vanilla, a power role, or even a neutral. If he starts acting scummy, I'll put my vote on him. Simple as that.

But it facilitates discussion and allows people to get good reads of each other, especially on a day when town has jack cheese shit to use as far as useful information goes

So if palmer does something shifty, or anyone else for that matter, I can come back here and reread D1 reactions

My only problem with Palmer so far is that he feels a little too appeasing for my liking. Is it enough for me to want to lynch him? No, but it's better than nothing so far.
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-17-2017, 08:17 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar
Are the pineapple haters asleep? Now's my chance~





SkyOdin
Member
(05-17-2017, 08:18 AM)
SkyOdin's Avatar
Nothing wrong with discussion.

I guess a better way to describe my feelings is that I don't consider power roles to be a big deal worth protecting. Apparently this is a role madness game, so everyone has a power role (or close to that). However, even if it wasn't, I would still rather have scum night kill a power role over an active and clever townie.

So I don't really feel like the worry that Palmer might be endangering a power role by claiming ordinary is grounds for voting for him.
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-17-2017, 08:22 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

Nothing wrong with discussion.

I guess a better way to describe my feelings is that I don't consider power roles to be a big deal worth protecting. Apparently this is a role madness game, so everyone has a power role (or close to that). However, even if it wasn't, I would still rather have scum night kill a power role over an active and clever townie.

So I don't really feel like the worry that Palmer might be endangering a power role by claiming ordinary is grounds for voting for him.

I totes understand, but I'd rather see active discussion for future reference about ANYTHING, really, for when things start to get more heated. Shutting that down isn't productive for town, and it may come back to bite us in the butt later.

So let Palmer claim and talk about whatever he wants to talk about. If he's town, then we can prove that later. And if he's not town, then he's only signing his own death warrant.
isaacnukem
Member
(05-17-2017, 08:31 AM)
isaacnukem's Avatar
But what about my cop question.
Palmer_v1
Member
(05-17-2017, 08:34 AM)
Palmer_v1's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhereAreMahDragonz

But it facilitates discussion and allows people to get good reads of each other, especially on a day when town has jack cheese shit to use as far as useful information goes

So if palmer does something shifty, or anyone else for that matter, I can come back here and reread D1 reactions

My only problem with Palmer so far is that he feels a little too appeasing for my liking. Is it enough for me to want to lynch him? No, but it's better than nothing so far.

Appeasing?
BlackBuzzard
Member
(05-17-2017, 08:38 AM)
BlackBuzzard's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhereAreMahDragonz

Are the pineapple haters asleep? Now's my chance~



You are making me hungry!
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-17-2017, 08:41 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Palmer_v1

Appeasing?

Yeah. Like, you're telling us what we want to hear
isaacnukem
Member
(05-17-2017, 09:17 AM)
isaacnukem's Avatar
Sigh. I'll just come back.
BlackBuzzard
Member
(05-17-2017, 09:22 AM)
BlackBuzzard's Avatar

Originally Posted by isaacnukem

Is this for real? Also this is the first time I'm hearing that this is role madness.


Sorry but as I added the last sentence above I realized editing is not allowed, I will not repeat it again.

No Isaac i don't know i was just being salty about Anime Mafia not having a cop, it depends on who runs the game really.
acohrs
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:01 AM)
acohrs's Avatar

Originally Posted by BlackBuzzard

No Isaac i don't know i was just being salty about Anime Mafia not having a cop, it depends on who runs the game really.

Don't worry BB, I'm the role alignment cop that this pineapple (pizza) express needs!

30yearsofhurt
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:57 AM)
30yearsofhurt's Avatar
0_o wtf?
Moonkid
Member
(05-17-2017, 11:39 AM)
Moonkid's Avatar

Originally Posted by 30yearsofhurt

0_o wtf?

Ikr? I'm not seeing any pineapple pizza shamers in the backseat >:( Corruption really does run deep.
Burbeting
Member
(05-17-2017, 12:02 PM)
Burbeting's Avatar
Sorry Darryl, no next-level deductions about Sawneeks this time :P. The point you made about her and BlackBuzzard's interaction is a good one, though.

Originally Posted by Darryl

A very funny response during all of this. "I'll judge Blarg when I see his posts", coming from someone who first voted for Blarg. It's always suspicious to me when someone creates a line of thinking and then lets someone else take the lead on it.

My vote on Blarg was a prod vote to get him here to post, so I can actually make some judgements about him. Blarg does have sometimes a bad case of disappearing for long-ish stretches of time between his posts.
Burbeting
Member
(05-17-2017, 12:12 PM)
Burbeting's Avatar

Originally Posted by Natiko

Bold move to prioritize your scum hunting over the survival of our PRs.

Since this game is role madness, we can assume that we are going to lose PR's regardless. Palmer's claim is pretty interesting one in the face of this game actually being a role madness, though. I don't know if Palmer's claim is alignment indicative, it could go either way. He could be town who really believes what he says/town who wants to create slight confusion with scum team. Or he could be scum already making an early excuse why he isn't night killed. It could go either way, but I don't think it's really worth of thinking of that much now. Palmer is a good player, so I'll make my reads of him based on knowledge later on.

However:

Originally Posted by Palmer_v1

Fuck Volcano Island

My Man <3
Swamped
Member
(05-17-2017, 01:24 PM)
Swamped's Avatar

Originally Posted by BlackBuzzard

Read list

01. [m] isaacnukem - New - UTC+8 Hasn't said anything what ya hiding huh?
02. [m] Moonkid - New - GMT+12 Same as above awfully suspicious
03. [they] Darryl - EST Same as above
04. [m] Lifeline - EST Like pineapple obvious town read
05. [m] SkyOdin - PDT An enigma bet he gets killed day 1
06. [f] hey_monkey - EST A Monkey that doesn't like pineapple? SCUM!
07. [m] SexyFish - EST I dunno
08. [m] Dr. Worm - EST Still dunno
09. [m] Palmer_v1 - CST A corgi that hates pineapple this is why cats are mans best friend not dogs!
10. [m] Blargonaut - GMT Troll under a bridge
11. [f] Sawneeks - PST Evil woman devil woman burn her at the stake she is a witch!
12. [m] 30yearsofhurt - GMT+10 Like pineapple so hes okay
13. [m] oreomunsta - GMT Delicious cookie
14. [m] BlackBuzzard - CET Love pineapple on everything the best guy best guy ever would bang.
15. [m] Burbeting - GMT+2 A bear that likes pineapple? Yeah thats awesome
16. [m] acohrs - GMT Likes pineapple so i can see myself eating a slice with him maybe during a candle light dinner.
17. [m] Natiko - EST Doesn't like pineapple a dirty black market sales man in persona SCUM!
18. [f] WhereAreMahDragonz - MST Pineapple girl 100% town
19. [f] Swamped - EST Waifu lover
20. [m] StanleyPalmtree - GMT+12 Some kind of tree didn't say much last game, must be because he is a tree

I know this reads post was a joke but his Dragonz read is the only clear town read, despite many other gafia players liking pineapple (myself included XD). Just something I'm keeping in mind.

Originally Posted by Lifeline

I like to lynch new players, something about my childhood from when i was new.

Vote: Moonkid

Uhhhhhhh this got dark real fast

Originally Posted by isaacnukem

Can anyone tell who's who in NeoGAF Mafia games? Like who're the best players, who are most likely to play this way when they're this alignment?

Also all hail Hawaiian Pizza

I can give you my opinion, although there are quite a few players here I haven't played much with. Palmer, Sawneeks and Burb are generally good at scum hunting when they are town. I like SkyOdin's townplay too, but unfortunately he dies early a lot. Dragonz, Dr. Worm and Darryl are good scum players.

While I do use a bit of meta (mostly on D1), I try to form reads based on how the player is playing the current game. So hopefully you can do the same and don't feel too lost.

Originally Posted by Moonkid

People who stir the pot *eyesemoji*. In all seriousness, I'm not really looking out for anything in particular. Is there even anything of substance to ascertain at this point? It's all pointing fingers and getting antsy as discussed above.

So there are about 3 pages of posts now (once the game started) who is stirring the pot in your opinion?

Originally Posted by Natiko

I'm mildly skeptical of Palmer's claim, but it's nothing particularly concrete.

Ugh I hate these wishy washy posts. It's like he's positioning himself to eventually vote for Palmer if that's how the tides swing.

VOTE: Natiko

Speaking of Palmer's claim - I could see an ordinary mafia goon making it if they were particularly brave. It would help explain why they are alive later in the game, and may prevent votes on them earlier in the game. However, Palmer isn't the sort of player who gets votes on him willy-nilly, so I don't see this as a scum gambit.
Swamped
Member
(05-17-2017, 01:31 PM)
Swamped's Avatar

Originally Posted by Swamped

I

I can give you my opinion, although there are quite a few players here I haven't played much with. Palmer, Sawneeks and Burb are generally good at scum hunting when they are town. I like SkyOdin's townplay too, but unfortunately he dies early a lot. Dragonz, Dr. Worm and Darryl are good scum players.

Oh another player you should know about who has a reputation is Blargonaut. Most of his posts are quite cryptic and hilarious, he often does these huge gambits that never pay off, but none of this behavior is really alignment indicative for him. He tends to be a discussion point on D1, people love to want to policy lynch him lol. I'm personally usually against a policy lynch.
acohrs
Member
(05-17-2017, 01:46 PM)
acohrs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Palmer_v1

In what way? Do all the new(er) players know what role madness means?

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Role_Madness



You know what? I was considering this anyway, but this kinda reinforces my thought.

I'm the Vanilla Townie.

My bolded(slightly paraphrased) role name says i'm a casual pizza lover who only has it like once a month. That's basically the only difference between my role PM and the sample one, which can be found here: http://neogaf.site/forum/showpost...34&postcount=1

Why would I claim?

1. It's low risk for town at this point, and gives everyone something solid to react to today.
2. Egotistical, but this increases my odds of not being Night Killed, and I'm better than average at scum hunting on our actual day phases. Assuming I'm telling the truth and haven't gone full Dusk.
3. I hate D1.
4. Fuck it.

I believe Palmer's claim for meta reasons. On D1, scum tend to play really cool and casually as since there's nothing to go on, any variation from the norm might lead to a player's lynch. Don't see scum being so bold as a result.

However, their claim is something to reevaluate on a later day after more data.

vote: 30yearsofhurt

Why do you love the hammer and sheep?
Swamped
Member
(05-17-2017, 01:48 PM)
Swamped's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

I have a lot of ideas, but I think too heavy discussion of it at this juncture is equally ill-advised. We've already got sharks in the water snapping at anything that might possibly be related to some sort of chum. Which is also the biggest reason I'm not sure about Palmer's claim. It's typically a trustworthy one. But seeing how things are already developing and seeing as he's leaving and won't be here to discuss it due to prior plans - is he giving us good info or is he lighting a match?

I'm also willing to entertain the possibility that I'm being super paranoid because day one and jumping at shadows.

So...are you saying you don't want to talk about your ideas because you're scared people might vote you for it? A townie shouldn't fear voicing their opinions.

VOTE: hey_monkey
acohrs
Member
(05-17-2017, 01:54 PM)
acohrs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Swamped

I know this reads post was a joke but his Dragonz read is the only clear town read, despite many other gafia players liking pineapple (myself included XD). Just something I'm keeping in mind.



Uhhhhhhh this got dark real fast



I can give you my opinion, although there are quite a few players here I haven't played much with. Palmer, Sawneeks and Burb are generally good at scum hunting when they are town. I like SkyOdin's townplay too, but unfortunately he dies early a lot. Dragonz, Dr. Worm and Darryl are good scum players.

While I do use a bit of meta (mostly on D1), I try to form reads based on how the player is playing the current game. So hopefully you can do the same and don't feel too lost.



So there are about 3 pages of posts now (once the game started) who is stirring the pot in your opinion?



Ugh I hate these wishy washy posts. It's like he's positioning himself to eventually vote for Palmer if that's how the tides swing.

VOTE: Natiko

Speaking of Palmer's claim - I could see an ordinary mafia goon making it if they were particularly brave. It would help explain why they are alive later in the game, and may prevent votes on them earlier in the game. However, Palmer isn't the sort of player who gets votes on him willy-nilly, so I don't see this as a scum gambit.

never seen scum so brave on GAFIA, and I say that as someone that has been scum way more than town
hey_monkey
Member
(05-17-2017, 02:23 PM)
hey_monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Swamped

So...are you saying you don't want to talk about your ideas because you're scared people might vote you for it? A townie shouldn't fear voicing their opinions.

I'm saying that voicing my ill-formed opinions at this juncture might cause more trouble for town in general than something more productive, given tendencies to tunnel and focus on things that turn out to not be so important.

I wanted too to address this idea of wishy-washiness that came up in anime, too. It seems to be a GAFia trend and I can understand where it comes from and how it would look scummy. But again, I think it's something that gets thrown around a little too easily. I'm not going to post absolute conclusions at most junctures because I don't have them. I can't shake off my real-life training that easily. I'll analyze and post thoughts for others to draw on or incorporate as they will, but it's very difficult for me to say this is so, I'm certain! because we generally have very little firm evidence.

It may be that I will continually get voted out for this. I can't control that. But it seems like a silly thing to fixate on if it's consistent for a particular player rather than a clear avoidance tactic.

But let's talk about today! You know who I want to see emerge from the depths of his faraway existence?

VOTE: StanleyPalmtree

Surely you can pop in and say hi?
hey_monkey
Member
(05-17-2017, 02:27 PM)
hey_monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by SexyFish

I got lynched with you for being too jumpy, so I'm instead going to eat French bread pizzas and put more thought into my shitty posts.

We lynch for that, too. BASICALLY NO ONE IS SAFE.

Except probably Palmer today, I guess.
BlackBuzzard
Member
(05-17-2017, 02:28 PM)
BlackBuzzard's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

I'm saying that voicing my ill-formed opinions at this juncture might cause more trouble for town in general than something more productive, given tendencies to tunnel and focus on things that turn out to not be so important.

I wanted too to address this idea of wishy-washiness that came up in anime, too. It seems to be a GAFia trend and I can understand where it comes from and how it would look scummy. But again, I think it's something that gets thrown around a little too easily. I'm not going to post absolute conclusions at most junctures because I don't have them. I can't shake off my real-life training that easily. I'll analyze and post thoughts for others to draw on or incorporate as they will, but it's very difficult for me to say this is so, I'm certain! because we generally have very little firm evidence.

It may be that I will continually get voted out for this. I can't control that. But it seems like a silly thing to fixate on if it's consistent for a particular player rather than a clear avoidance tactic.

But let's talk about today! You know who I want to see emerge from the depths of his faraway existence?

VOTE: StanleyPalmtree

Surely you can pop in and say hi?

Oh silly monkey treeĀ“s cant talk-type much less play Mafia.
Swamped
Member
(05-17-2017, 02:43 PM)
Swamped's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

I'm saying that voicing my ill-formed opinions at this juncture might cause more trouble for town in general than something more productive, given tendencies to tunnel and focus on things that turn out to not be so important.

I wanted too to address this idea of wishy-washiness that came up in anime, too. It seems to be a GAFia trend and I can understand where it comes from and how it would look scummy. But again, I think it's something that gets thrown around a little too easily. I'm not going to post absolute conclusions at most junctures because I don't have them. I can't shake off my real-life training that easily. I'll analyze and post thoughts for others to draw on or incorporate as they will, but it's very difficult for me to say this is so, I'm certain! because we generally have very little firm evidence.

It may be that I will continually get voted out for this. I can't control that. But it seems like a silly thing to fixate on if it's consistent for a particular player rather than a clear avoidance tactic.

But let's talk about today! You know who I want to see emerge from the depths of his faraway existence?

VOTE: StanleyPalmtree

Surely you can pop in and say hi?

It's difficult to differentiate between a townie who is genuinely unsure about the situation, and a scum who is pretending to be. But this is what I look for in scummy wishy-washyness: someone who tries to argue both sides of an argument without making some sort of conclusion after (and no, you don't have to be 100% certain of the conclusion, but I am looking for arguments to be taken a step further). Scum wants to argue both sides so that when the time comes to vote, they can pick whatever is most convenient and fall back on a vague argument they previously made. Natiko's post about Palmer's claim was an example of that sort of behavior.

It's also a way for scum to look engaged on a very surface level.
Natiko
Member
(05-17-2017, 02:46 PM)
Natiko's Avatar
I feel like Monkey keeps jumping in to low key defend me a lot which is odd.

In regards to what Swamped said, there is reasoning behind why I'm skeptical. I just don't feel going into it right now is the best choice.
hey_monkey
Member
(05-17-2017, 02:48 PM)
hey_monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Swamped

It's difficult to differentiate between a townie who is genuinely unsure about the situation, and a scum who is pretending to be. But this is what I look for in scummy wishy-washyness: someone who tries to argue both sides of an argument without making some sort of conclusion after (and no, you don't have to be 100% certain of the conclusion, but I am looking for arguments to be taken a step further). Scum wants to argue both sides so that when the time comes to vote, they can pick whatever is most convenient and fall back on a vague argument they previously made. Natiko's post about Palmer's claim was an example of that sort of behavior.

It's also a way for scum to look engaged on a very surface level.

Sure, I think all of that can be true and indicative of scum. But it's also just the way some people operate. So unless it's related to voting behaviors or team presences, it might just be part of scum hunting. But let's settle this over some pizza.

hey_monkey
Member
(05-17-2017, 02:50 PM)
hey_monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Natiko

I feel like Monkey keeps jumping in to low key defend me a lot which is odd.

Nah, I got lynched for this stuff last game and I'm bitter af hoping to make it to at least day 3 so I feel good about myself. You're incidental, I'm afraid.
Palmer_v1
Member
(05-17-2017, 02:55 PM)
Palmer_v1's Avatar
Monkey is active so far, at least, and this is basically how she played anime, so it's consistent. Let's try and keep our lynching focused on the inactive for now.
BlackBuzzard
Member
(05-17-2017, 02:59 PM)
BlackBuzzard's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

Sure, I think all of that can be true and indicative of scum. But it's also just the way some people operate. So unless it's related to voting behaviors or team presences, it might just be part of scum hunting. But let's settle this over some pizza.

Who puts leaves on their pizza EW!
Natiko
Member
(05-17-2017, 03:00 PM)
Natiko's Avatar

Originally Posted by Palmer_v1

Monkey is active so far, at least, and this is basically how she played anime, so it's consistent. Let's try and keep our lynching focused on the inactive for now.

Sure, but there's not much to discuss there until day end when we can evaluate who has coasted.

Thread Tools