• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

30yearsofhurt
Member
(05-18-2017, 02:09 PM)
30yearsofhurt's Avatar
This is confusing...


Which pineapple am I voting for???
StanleyPalmtree
Member
(05-18-2017, 02:31 PM)
StanleyPalmtree's Avatar

Originally Posted by 30yearsofhurt


facing each other, tilting back, and screaming in inhuman terror.
the mating ritual of the wild pineapples, tis a majestic sight.
Natiko
Member
(05-18-2017, 02:54 PM)
Natiko's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

Oh, yay! Happenings!



( -_・)?

I'm not sure how to read this in light of the noncommittal noises about your Palmer skepticism. You obviously felt there was something worth mentioning, but you didn't actually mention anything. Are you saving yourself an opportunity for later?



As ever, I enjoy your analysis. BB, though, I feel is having a very different start. I can understand your point here but there's a very tangible shift.

I can only explain so many times it's currently not concrete, hence mild skepticism. If I knew he was lying I would have voted for him.

Originally Posted by Blargonaut

I have a plan

It requires volunteers

Who wants to play Mafia with me

I'll give reads in them, but I will also give reads on anyone I want and in general this plan feel of yours feels flawed.
hey_monkey
Member
(05-18-2017, 02:58 PM)
hey_monkey's Avatar
Good morning!
I like Blarg's idea in theory - gives us some things to keep looking to and if we were all to do it, some consistency that can reveal all sorts of possible juicy info. But as some have stated above, I think overlaps - two on a team of three - would be better. But even with two on two, as Blarg suggested, I suspect the so-called "arbitrary" formation. Why not just go down the list as provided in the OP? Or, if we want to separate the new players for fairness sake, then take the first and the last, put them on the next to, and so on? Like so:

isaacnukem & StanleyPalmtree on Moonkid & Swamped
Moonkid & Swamped on Darryl & WhereAreMahDragonz
Darryl & WhereAreMahDragonz on Lifeline & Natiko

Etc. Though again, I think the three-with-overlaps would be far superior.

So unless Blarg rolled some dice or whatever, there's no reason to believe these pairings are arbitrary and that makes them suspect, given no other information.

Regardless, I will be providing reads as usual and if a system of some sort helps others manage reads - because I agree that full lists are hard, especially early on - then by all means, create some system for yourself but be transparent about it, I'd say.

Also, I expect this was a joke, but:

Originally Posted by Blargonaut

Feels good to be Town-aligned, doesn't it?

I bet it does

ಠ_ಠ

Also:

Originally Posted by Natiko

I can only explain so many times it's currently not concrete, hence mild skepticism. If I knew he was lying I would have voted for him.

Semantics, perhaps, but repetition is not explanation. You haven't actually explained anything.

Anyway! I think I will order a pepperoni and broccoli pizza today, maybe with spinach, maybe nah. Going back through the thread and seeing all the pizzas is killing me. Even the damn pineapple pizzas are making me semi-hungry so I think I will have to give in.

As for the start of my day...

VOTE: 30yearsofhurt

We'll see how things go today.
SexyFish
wakes up from a Murphy bed bothered by nemesis Chow every f'n day
(05-18-2017, 03:02 PM)
SexyFish's Avatar
Sorry I haven't been posting, I'll try and pick it up but been having family issues atm.

Will agree to the read team, and Dr. Worm I won't let my misreads from Arkham crossover.
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-18-2017, 03:29 PM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar
I agree with Monkey. I would be down for a read team if there was some kind of overlap. As it stands now, the system is flawed.
Dr. Worm
Member
(05-18-2017, 03:48 PM)
Dr. Worm's Avatar
I think of we did Blarg's proposal, we'd also want to rotate the pairs and the read lists, with each person also carrying over their previous read responsibilities

Otherwise, I like the idea
hey_monkey
Member
(05-18-2017, 03:54 PM)
hey_monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr. Worm

I think of we did Blarg's proposal, we'd also want to rotate the pairs and the read lists, with each person also carrying over their previous read responsibilities

Otherwise, I like the idea

I thought about that too but then if there is a scum pair they roll through and create chaos and it maybe takes us a couple days to see the pattern. Risky.
30yearsofhurt
Member
(05-18-2017, 04:02 PM)
30yearsofhurt's Avatar
So hold on are we doing this read thing Barg proposed?

The only reads I have are on Palmer and Dragz.
SkyOdin
Member
(05-18-2017, 04:32 PM)
SkyOdin's Avatar
I can't think of any notable downsides to Blarg's plan, if we treat it just as a starting point for our reads. If there is some nefarious logic to the pair assignments concocted by scum, then we can just use that as a clue to find scum. Any gambit scum engages in is am opportunity for us to catch their mistakes.

Though I do vaguely resent being assigned to give an in-depth read on the game's most active poster. I'm lazy, damnit.
Natiko
Member
(05-18-2017, 04:42 PM)
Natiko's Avatar

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

I can't think of any notable downsides to Blarg's plan, if we treat it just as a starting point for our reads. If there is some nefarious logic to the pair assignments concocted by scum, then we can just use that as a clue to find scum. Any gambit scum engages in is am opportunity for us to catch their mistakes.

Though I do vaguely resent being assigned to give an in-depth read on the game's most active poster. I'm lazy, damnit.

You can't think of any downsides? Personally I think it encourages people to be lazy and only share a couple of reads. It also seems like it would encourage latching on to other's opinions without putting in critical thought yourself.
SkyOdin
Member
(05-18-2017, 04:48 PM)
SkyOdin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Natiko

You can't think of any downsides? Personally I think it encourages people to be lazy and only share a couple of reads. It also seems like it would encourage latching on to other's opinions without putting in critical thought yourself.

Then we call those people out for being lazy. If you take this plan Blarg made simply as him asking people for reads, I don't see any negatives. Obviously, we should not let it define all of our discussion. However, I don't mind putting some pressure on people to commit to opinions on other players. I think this plan adds some of that.
Natiko
Member
(05-18-2017, 04:57 PM)
Natiko's Avatar

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

Then we call those people out for being lazy. If you take this plan Blarg made simply as him asking people for reads, I don't see any negatives. Obviously, we should not let it define all of our discussion. However, I don't mind putting some pressure on people to commit to opinions on other players. I think this plan adds some of that.

As long as people don't take this as a sign to only share thoughts on two players then that's fine. I just know most games have quite a few players happy to sit back and not share much more than is asked of them. The concerns over a scum pairing causing chaos though I will say seems a bit overblown. Are people planning to just take other's opinions as gospel? If not then how is this a worry?
Blargonaut
Member
(05-18-2017, 05:17 PM)
Blargonaut's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhereAreMahDragonz

If Blarg is scum then he could immediately design scum /scum pairings to get peeps mislynched

Blarg your plan stinks!!!!! Like you!!!!111!



Originally Posted by Palmer_v1

Definitely not playing Blarg's game.

Only person I'm somewhat getting scum vibes from is Natiko, but not enough that I'll let it override my desire to murder a coaster.

What, Palmer? You chicken?

Originally Posted by acohrs

It owes you more than its life Blarg, it owes you it's heart

debt is fine

Originally Posted by WhereAreMahDragonz

Say for the sake of argument that I am scum and Acorn is town. Scum!Blarg knows this, and gives us a townie and a scum to read. We provide reads that gets the scum lynched. This immediately soft-confirms me as town because there's no way I'd bus my teammate, right?

The alternative is true. If we get the townie lynched then that makes the pair of us look bad, and I can just try and throw Acorn under the bus to live another day, effectively getting two townies lynched.

oh, I'm not responsible for any potential scum misuse of my plan. My matchmaking is based on sum player GAFia experience, probably

But WAMD, I'll say that it seems you've put more thought into how to abuse my plan rather than into how to use it for the betterment of Town ¬_¬ ¬_¬ ¬_¬ ¬_¬ ¬_¬

I'm kidding, the insinuation is enough

I'm kidding, such open critical thought is very pro-Town

Critique my plan more

critique it

Originally Posted by Natiko

I'll give reads in them, but I will also give reads on anyone I want and in general this plan feel of yours feels flawed.

do you
hey_monkey
Member
(05-18-2017, 06:20 PM)
hey_monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Natiko

As long as people don't take this as a sign to only share thoughts on two players then that's fine. I just know most games have quite a few players happy to sit back and not share much more than is asked of them. The concerns over a scum pairing causing chaos though I will say seems a bit overblown. Are people planning to just take other's opinions as gospel? If not then how is this a worry?

-I hope no one's lazy
-sometimes people are lazy
-... so it follows then that laziness could allow some people to accept reads/opinions without questioning except that no one will do that except sometimes people are lazy and i hope people are not lazy but sometimes people are lazy but surely no one will be lazy...???



Regardless, that seems like a very extreme interpretation. No one's suggesting anyone will take something as gospel, but in a social deception game based on readings of people and their interactions, yeah, people get influenced.

I mean, I see where you're coming from. But.

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

However, I don't mind putting some pressure on people to commit to opinions on other players.

We do need some of that.
Natiko
Member
(05-18-2017, 07:08 PM)
Natiko's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

-I hope no one's lazy
-sometimes people are lazy
-... so it follows then that laziness could allow some people to accept reads/opinions without questioning except that no one will do that except sometimes people are lazy and i hope people are not lazy but sometimes people are lazy but surely no one will be lazy...???



Regardless, that seems like a very extreme interpretation. No one's suggesting anyone will take something as gospel, but in a social deception game based on readings of people and their interactions, yeah, people get influenced.

I mean, I see where you're coming from. But.



We do need some of that.

There's a difference between not sharing your own opinions and blindly following someone else's repeatedly. This strategy by blarg could easily set people up to share opinions on a limited number of players. This is beneficial to lazy players and scum players while hurting those of us actively trying to solve.

Just because people may do that though it's an entirely different scenario to say "I'm worried that town will blindly follow the opinions of two players to multiple mislyches in a row" which some people implied as their primary concern.
Dr. Worm
Member
(05-18-2017, 08:20 PM)
Dr. Worm's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

I thought about that too but then if there is a scum pair they roll through and create chaos and it maybe takes us a couple days to see the pattern. Risky.

I'm thinking of it more in terms of encouraging pairs/groups to levy critique on each other's reasoning

Like, I'm paired with Darryl on SkyOdin and BlackBuzzard. Maybe tomorrow I get, I dunno, Burbeting and MoonKid and I'm paired with oreomunsta. Darryl and I are still looking at SkyOdin and BlackBuzzard carrying over what we were doing the prior day, with two other people being expected to engage with us on them. Likewise, oreomunsta and I would be able to discuss Burbeting and MoonKid with whoever had them last. Formalize the group contributions for reads, I guess.

The constant deaths would help curtail read responsibilities from getting too out of hand, though I can see how that could still be a problem, so maybe just one or the other in terms of swapping or something, idk
Blargonaut
Member
(05-18-2017, 08:32 PM)
Blargonaut's Avatar

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

Then we call those people out for being lazy. If you take this plan Blarg made simply as him asking people for reads, I don't see any negatives. Obviously, we should not let it define all of our discussion. However, I don't mind putting some pressure on people to commit to opinions on other players. I think this plan adds some of that.

if



"Read teams", let's begin. Unlike Palmer, I lead by example:

Originally Posted by Blargonaut

*snip*

Blargonaut & SexyFish --> responsible for providing reads on: Dr. Worm, hey_monkey
*snip*

ahem
Dr. Worm [m]
Opens the game expressing regret at being Batman-loud, says he'll quiet down this game. Legit IRL... or an excuse for sneaking-suit play?

Immediately bought Palmer's Role-claim. Disposable trust.

Then tried to convince hey_monkey to trust Palmer, but citing no reason, literally. Yet picks at Palmer with a fork a bit later; is the one who suggests Palmer's really a scum!Godfather Role, suggesting the most reasonable explanation for such a Palmer feint, first. The perfect combo of faith and logic, here

Suspects Natiko for hiding possible Ordinary context for Palmer's Ordinary claim; yet confronts and retreats from Nat in the same sentence. You see, the secret to good Role-fishing is to flick your Role-fishing rod as far back as possible before you fling Dr. Worm off the hook as the farthest reaching Role-bait alive, this joke was a mistake

Expert guerrilla, clearly

I say Town-aligned Dr. Worm, and, I'd say he's even the/an Ordinary Citizen himself, that he claims Natiko is and is hiding as and that Palmer_v1 claims to be the one-and-only of. Your flip-flopping along with your seeming caution around this screams the fact, Dr.!

As you might be inclined to, you might BELIEVE that Palmer's running feint interference for his Town-aligned PR self, but trust me when I say you'll find your devotion in him is wholly misplaced in nothing but Palmer's self-service.

Turn of phrase, Dr. Worm

Turn of phrase


hey_monkey [f]
Opens the game alongside SkyOdin with a tandem vote volley v. oreomunsta. Right down to the time-stamps. Coincidence? Or... collusion...

Concurs with Natiko that it's a [Mafia] shame that raucous individuals of fun players get taken-out the soonest. Pro-chaos?

Quite upfront in her effort to distance her pizza preference from pineapple's entire existence. More than anyone else has been, actually. Noteworthy?

hey_ re: Palmer's claim: "baffled no comment" <paraphrased> <summarized> "Speak no Palmer" <referenced> <paraphrased> <summarized>.

And Palmer defends hey_monkey when Natiko alleges hey_monkey is defending Natiko; Palmer saying go for inactives instead [of hey_]! Such a shameless deflect, on another's behalf, in sheer Daylight? Bold, Palmer. Bold.

Agrees with SkyOdin on steering us away from Role discussion in favour of player activity debate. Covering wood-fire? Then, goes for then-non-entity Stan with an apparent pressure vote when confronted by Swamped about an apparent fear of hers for opinion-based siege tactics. Then diverts into pizza talk. Favouring the freedom of reluctance, aren't ya?

Seems tense. Conclusion?

Neutral-aligned. And likely a kind of Power Role that gets stuff done for others, not themselves; an affector. Affector's not a word, spell-check? Fuck you, language.

Also, stated that she wants to make it to Day 3 at the very least? Huh, oddly specific crunch amidst the so-far nebulously fluffy crust of your entirety of posts in this game thus far, hey_?

and my avatar's the cutest, sry?
Blargonaut
Member
(05-18-2017, 08:33 PM)
Blargonaut's Avatar
So dastardly

So devious

My ulterior motives, seeping

oozing
BlackBuzzard
Member
(05-18-2017, 08:38 PM)
BlackBuzzard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sawneeks


14. [m] BlackBuzzard - CET
- You ignored it but what do you think of Swamped calling out your joke reads list as having WAMD the only 100% Townie? What do you think of Darryl, Burb, and Nat? Why did you make the reads list?

Swamped read far too much in to a joke read list its flavor that is all it is, why i made it? For fun its the first day of day 1.

-Burb
Just strange to call my interactions with Natiko as fake it was back and forth shit posting at the beginning of a game. Outside of that seems like a solid player that gives his own opinions and suggestions.
-Natiko
His posting style is definitely different from persona Mafia day 1 where he was the neutral, and was pretty subdued in D1 where here he is certainly more active and aggressive in this game.
-Darryl
They seem to be very aggressive, and i think framing my interaction with Natiko as fake is a strange conclusion to come to. Then roping Sawneeks into it seems just desperate to find something where there is nothing.

Now on with Blarg's idea.

I feel that its a double edged sword yes its great to get reads list out of people that might normally not feel like making one, but it also promotes just doing a reads list of the 2 people you were assigned. So if we do this i hope nobody thinks that just posting your reads on the 2 people you were assigned is okay.
Burbeting
Member
(05-18-2017, 08:39 PM)
Burbeting's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blargonaut

So dastardly

So devious

My ulterior motives, seeping

oozing

It's not really about you having ulterior motives, it's about trying to figure out if scum can exploit your idea.
Blargonaut
Member
(05-18-2017, 08:40 PM)
Blargonaut's Avatar

Originally Posted by Natiko

More a commentary on the meta focusing on lynching anyone that makes noise lately. The fact that I take some time at the beginning of the game with no info to work off of to goof around a bit and you see people chomping at the bit to single it out already. I can't imagine the perspectives of Blarg or kyan who get lynched based on their posting style regardless of the substance.

Is this supposed to be empathy?

Blargonaut
Member
(05-18-2017, 08:41 PM)
Blargonaut's Avatar

Originally Posted by Burbeting

It's not really about you having ulterior motives, it's about trying to figure out if scum can exploit your idea.

But what about what I want
Natiko
Member
(05-18-2017, 08:49 PM)
Natiko's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blargonaut

Is this supposed to be empathy?

You go all out with your..well, everything, so maybe you just expect it. Kyan though definitely seemed frustrated in his most recent game due to this recent trend in Gafia. Just think it's about time people realize shit posting isn't inherently scummy, it's when there's no moments of clarify and effort that it should be concerning.
Dr. Worm
Member
(05-18-2017, 08:52 PM)
Dr. Worm's Avatar
I guess I'll do what I can to play along:

BlackBuzzard:

Mostly looks to be shitposting and fucking around, teasing hey_monkey and talking pineapple pizza, some nostalgia. "Reads List" is primarily filler. There's a couple of minor topics to comment on, and as I started this he put out some reads on Natiko, Burbeting, Darryl. Emphasize's Blarg's proposal is a starting point.

Seems to be relatively comfortable thus far, a bit of contributing, but kinda below-the-radar. I get decent vibes, but I don't trust them.

SkyOdin:

Votes oreomunsta first thing. Wants to ignore PRs in role madness. Talked meta about Burbeting, Darryl, BlackBuzzard. Supportive of Blarg's initiative - willing to work off it into broader analysis and use it to pin people to positions. Something going on irl w/ Internet making it difficult to do longer posts.

Mostly engaging with the topics at hand. I'm having trouble finding anything notable here - a null, I guess. I hope he gets his Internet sorted.
hey_monkey
Member
(05-18-2017, 08:59 PM)
hey_monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Natiko

You go all out with your..well, everything, so maybe you just expect it. Kyan though definitely seemed frustrated in his most recent game due to this recent trend in Gafia. Just think it's about time people realize shit posting isn't inherently scummy, it's when there's no moments of clarify and effort that it should be concerning.

Will absolutely agree with this - but also add that I think there's a line when shitposting becomes too much. I think in general there seems to be a few things that get read as blanket scum! when I guess maybe they're holdovers from previous games? Or just general population trends? As a new player to the community, it sticks out.

I have reads coming (what, hey_monkey, posting? you don't say)! And also a picture of the beautiful pizza I had for lunch. Y'all know you want it.
Blargonaut
Member
(05-18-2017, 09:11 PM)
Blargonaut's Avatar

Originally Posted by Natiko

You go all out with your..well, everything, so maybe you just expect it. Kyan though definitely seemed frustrated in his most recent game due to this recent trend in Gafia. Just think it's about time people realize shit posting isn't inherently scummy, it's when there's no moments of clarify and effort that it should be concerning.

Kyan embraced dankness Bane etc.
Blargonaut
Member
(05-18-2017, 09:19 PM)
Blargonaut's Avatar
I got the keyword of that Bane quote wrong, what?

Now you know I'm disgusted
Swamped
Member
(05-18-2017, 09:25 PM)
Swamped's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blargonaut

Kyan embraced dankness Bane etc.

LOL

I see where the concerns about Blarg's list are coming from. But I'm still using it as a glorified asking-for-reads post. In fact I may as well read Moonkid too, my 'partner'.
Swamped
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:12 PM)
Swamped's Avatar
Still early in the game so things are subject to change but here are some reads.

Darryl - Right now, I can't say either way. They've been aggressive right off the bat, pushing against Sawneeks which I think is useful as she's slippery when scum. Also briefly pushed against Natiko for 'defending' BB and Saw. Their initial issue was with BB and Natiko's interactions. I dunno, I guess I didn't really see much there. They later justify their vote for Sawneeks in post #177. And then, they explain more in post #193. Post 193 feels more like a retroactive justification of a vote, which definitely gives me pause. BUT Post #290 feels very town-like. They are taking a thread and seeing it to the end. I like it. I shall look at Sawneeks more closely too. I did like her responses to Darryl though.

Post #177 shows that he is wary of Burb as well, which is interesting as nobody else has really talked about him. I'll look at him myself soon.

In his latest post, Darryl commented on Palmer's claim and said it didn't really affect their read on the game. This was an odd post. People's PR claims don't affect your reads of them? I guess I feel very differently.

Overall, they haven't posted much but have made a presence. I think this is a good thing. I want to lean town on them.

---

Moonkid - Looking through his posts, I can't find much scumhunting tbh. Some fluff. He's a new player though, so I can understand his reticence regardless of what alignment he is. He does believe Palmer's claim however (quoted below). Has not voted for anyone yet, and did not address Lifeline's vote on him.

Originally Posted by Moonkid

People who stir the pot *eyesemoji*. In all seriousness, I'm not really looking out for anything in particular. Is there even anything of substance to ascertain at this point? It's all pointing fingers and getting antsy as discussed above.

Originally Posted by Moonkid

That was a joke not aimed at anyone in particular. I'm not ready to make such statements just yet :p
It's certainly bold - I don't feel particularly strongly about it but I'm inclined to believe them. Seems too risky if they are in fact a mafia. Then again, this game is all about that 4th dimensional chess and I'm here trying to move a piece lol.

"People who stir the pot" did not feel like a joke answer to me tbh. It's like he was too jittery to elaborate so decided to deflect, saying it was a joke all along. Early read - newbie scum.
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-18-2017, 10:34 PM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar
Hi I'm gonna take a nap but I'll be back later! Just checking in for now zzz
oreomunsta
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:38 PM)
oreomunsta's Avatar
I'm not a fan of Blarg's plan :C seems like an unnecessary complication into the game, though it is well-intentioned

Thanks, though, Blarg, for speaking to the weird vote pair that Odin and monkey laid on me. It didn't seem to catch on, and one of them has backed off. Does that imply something? Hmm... I wonder.
SkyOdin
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:55 PM)
SkyOdin's Avatar

Originally Posted by oreomunsta

I'm not a fan of Blarg's plan :C seems like an unnecessary complication into the game, though it is well-intentioned

Thanks, though, Blarg, for speaking to the weird vote pair that Odin and monkey laid on me. It didn't seem to catch on, and one of them has backed off. Does that imply something? Hmm... I wonder.

Don't ask me how that timing worked out, I have no idea why hey_monkey does what she does.

Anyways, I have been doing the homework that Blargonaut assigned. I started with Moonkid, since he had fewer posts to go back over.

First of all, he had an unanswered question:

Originally Posted by Moonkid

Is there any particular reason things heat up near that time? I'll probably be asleep mind you.

Moonkid, the last few hours of a Day phase have a tendancy to speed up and get more insane the closer we get to the day's end. We have had cases where lynch candidates have gone from having one vote on them to having a plurality of votes in a sudden shift in the last five minutes of a game. It is a time where votes can be very volatile.

It tends to be worse on days where there is no clear vote leader heading into the final few hours. If the vote is split between two or three people with only a few votes each, then the end of the game is usually sheer chaos.

Now, onto my appraisal of Moonkid. In summary: a newbie who is posting nothing but questions and fluff. Take the second half of the post I quoted above:

Yes indeed, and a fellow fan of Berserk too might I add. Your avatar was basically me during the first episode of last year's new adaptation.

It demonstrates good taste in manga/anime, but is the pure definition of fluff. I think the only actual comment Moonkid has made on the game so far was about Palmer's role claim. I can understand that Moonkid is new, but he isn't showing a whole lot of initiative. I will respect the gentleman's agreement to not lynch newbies on Day 1, but Moonkid needs to step up more, or I will start scum reading him on Day 2.
hey_monkey
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:06 PM)
hey_monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Burbeting

It's not really about you having ulterior motives, it's about trying to figure out if scum can exploit your idea.

So, bearish one, now that Blarg is posting, what are your thoughts? You said you'd say more once he made an entrance and that was quite a splash. You've commented on the idea and I like what you say here - and I agree - but I'm curious about your impressions beyond ulterior motives or the lack thereof.

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

Don't ask me how that timing worked out, I have no idea why hey_monkey does what she does.

Better question would be to ask SkyOdin why he voted - and kept it there. I give a reason, serious or not, when I vote. Lots of other people just drive by and leave votes with nothing to back them up or explain. Many examples in the thread already.

Was your oreomunsta vote a prod? It came with a question.
Natiko
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:37 PM)
Natiko's Avatar
Read's for Blarg:

Moonkid - There's very little of substance here. It's primarily questions seeking clarification on other's statements. About the only thing that was an actual stance was believing in Palmer's claim of ordinary. It's a stance that doesn't really give any sense into alignment as I would say it's the primary stance taken and currently there's no real reason to outright disbelieve it. Going to go with null on this one. Time will tell if they're coasting or not.

Sawneeks - Honestly? Reminds me quite a bit of Sorian currently. I don't recall if I've ever played with Saw before..I think I have maybe, once. She's been pushing the conversation forward, going to great lengths even to do so. Hasn't really followed up much on their 'homework' assignments that she gave to us. The responses to Darryl's questioning feel a bit more defensive than the situation really begets, but at the same time I think Darryl's argument against you was an unfortunate combo of weak and persistent. I'm going to give a slight town lean here just because in a game that's been quite slow scum probably wouldn't have felt the need to go to such great lengths. They easily could be active enough to seem vocal and attentive without putting this much work in.
Natiko
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:40 PM)
Natiko's Avatar
VOTE: lifeline

Can't hide in the shadows forever.
Dr. Worm
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:41 PM)
Dr. Worm's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lifeline

So what are the chances I break my record and survive past the first day phase this time?

PS: I love Pineapples.Especially on pizza.

Originally Posted by Lifeline

I like to lynch new players, something about my childhood from when i was new.

Vote: Moonkid

This is from a couple of days ago. It's all we've got from Lifeline.

Sorry about Arkham, breh. No hard feelings, right? You had some interesting insight that game - wanna try again? Pinky promise I won't turn on you.
SkyOdin
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:41 PM)
SkyOdin's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

Better question would be to ask SkyOdin why he voted - and kept it there. I give a reason, serious or not, when I vote. Lots of other people just drive by and leave votes with nothing to back them up or explain. Many examples in the thread already.

Was your oreomunsta vote a prod? It came with a question.

Yeah, it was a pressure vote. But a pressure vote is meaningless without actual pressure, so I am perfectly happy leaving a pressure vote on until the end of the day phase. Oreo hasn't exactly posted something to give me a strong town read on him yet.
Sawneeks
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:45 PM)
Sawneeks's Avatar
Okay so instead of quoting 13-ish posts I'm just going to give a blanket thank you to everyone who actually responded to my questions so far. It was very appreciated!

Originally Posted by WhereAreMahDragonz

This debate between Sawneeks and Natiko has a lot of words and little content

giving me town vs town vibes

Swamped pointed this out as well but I'm curious as to why this specifically gives you Town vibes?

Originally Posted by Moonkid

That was a joke not aimed at anyone in particular. I'm not ready to make such statements just yet :p
It's certainly bold - I don't feel particularly strongly about it but I'm inclined to believe them. Seems too risky if they are in fact a mafia. Then again, this game is all about that 4th dimensional chess and I'm here trying to move a piece lol.

More of me just pointing it out but this feels very....uh, the word isn't coming to me but almost withheld? Like, afraid to put your opinion out there.

I'm willing to give it a pass on Day 1 because you're a new player but it is something I will be keeping on eye on. :x

Originally Posted by WhereAreMahDragonz

me waiting for someone to post

also i have no idea why but this made me laugh really hard. thank you.

Originally Posted by Burbeting

I'll consider volunteering if you tell me your favorite pizza toppings, Blargy.



Well my plan is to try to be more active than in Quarantine (and in Gafia 3, for that matter). Inactivity is never good in any games.

For Palmer's idea, I wouldn't be completely against it. The problem though is that it will be harder to see just who is coasting and who is not during day 1. For example, right now most of the player feel like they are coasting, due to how early the game is still on.

If that's the case what do you plan to look for in a lynch candidate for today?

Originally Posted by Blargonaut

There are 20 of us here at the moment. Ask yourselves, does each one of you feel enthusiastic about gradually and individually doling 19 in-depth character analyses of all the other players here?

Do you feel like that's fun? hmm

...y-yes?

>.>

<.<

v.v

Originally Posted by acohrs

Saw are you scum this game? Can't tell with you since our first game when you played scum so well.

You gotta check the board more, I posted the answer in scum chat.

No

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

Then we call those people out for being lazy. If you take this plan Blarg made simply as him asking people for reads, I don't see any negatives. Obviously, we should not let it define all of our discussion. However, I don't mind putting some pressure on people to commit to opinions on other players. I think this plan adds some of that.

Also, I agree with Sky here. I see no issue with Blarg's idea other than I would find it better if we got some more overlap with players like a few have already suggested. Having players put down their thoughts on others will help us later on when we find Scum and can look back and see what they thought about others as well as find possible inconsistencies with someone's thoughts.

I also agree that it would be worth 'pushing' players that only do the bare minimum of these reads. I'm not saying be crazy and read all living players every Day Phase ( more power to you if you do though ) but coming in, hitting your 10 post count, posting your 2 reads and then leaving would be skirting the line and I would be fine giving those players some scrutiny.

Originally Posted by Swamped

Overall, they haven't posted much but have made a presence. I think this is a good thing. I want to lean town on them.

What do you mean by this? 'I want to lean Town' is a very weird choice of words. Do you or do you not lean Town on him?
SkyOdin
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:45 PM)
SkyOdin's Avatar
Double-checked, and yep, Oreo has been posting nothing but fluff. His only posts resembling substance are the one where he thanked Blarg for pointing out the timing of my vote being close to monkeys, and a post where he admits he doesn't have any leads or reads. I would feel no regret lynching him right now.
Sawneeks
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:53 PM)
Sawneeks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Natiko

Sawneeks - Honestly? Reminds me quite a bit of Sorian currently. I don't recall if I've ever played with Saw before..I think I have maybe, once. She's been pushing the conversation forward, going to great lengths even to do so. Hasn't really followed up much on their 'homework' assignments that she gave to us. The responses to Darryl's questioning feel a bit more defensive than the situation really begets, but at the same time I think Darryl's argument against you was an unfortunate combo of weak and persistent. I'm going to give a slight town lean here just because in a game that's been quite slow scum probably wouldn't have felt the need to go to such great lengths. They easily could be active enough to seem vocal and attentive without putting this much work in.

We played in Quarantine if that counts, I stole Director from you last minute. :p

Also I believe I posted about it earlier but I am going to be busy this game because of classes and work. I was able to skim the thread earlier today but I didn't have enough time to properly respond to everything until now.
Sawneeks
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:56 PM)
Sawneeks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blargonaut

VOTE: Palmer_v1

And because I feel like I need to say this once per game:

Explain! Your! Votes!

Don't just drop a vote and leave, tell me why you're voting for that person. Not explaining your votes means you have to come back later on and give us a reason and, if you're Scum, it means you have time to make up a reason well after you actually voted.
Palmer_v1
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:56 PM)
Palmer_v1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Swamped

Why not? He dressed it up, but he's essentially just asking for reads.

Because I'm going to play the way I always play, which includes posting reads when applicable. The fucking mini game shit just gives people a smoke screen to hide behind.
Natiko
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:59 PM)
Natiko's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sawneeks

We played in Quarantine if that counts, I stole Director from you last minute. :p

Also I believe I posted about it earlier but I am going to be busy this game because of classes and work. I was able to skim the thread earlier today but I didn't have enough time to properly respond to everything until now.

That's what it was. I knew I felt like I had played with you but it wasn't sticking out. Quarantine is a fever dream lol

But yes, I realize that. Was just an observation that stuck out to me. Even now when you did return you opted to go with a blanket statement instead of following up much. Did you find most of the answers unremarkable?
BlackBuzzard
Member
(05-19-2017, 12:12 AM)
BlackBuzzard's Avatar
[hightlight]Unvote[/highlight]

Fun time is over ill cast a serious vote later on.
BlackBuzzard
Member
(05-19-2017, 12:13 AM)
BlackBuzzard's Avatar
Unvote

Wouldnt be mafia if i didnt fuck up the command.
Sawneeks
Member
(05-19-2017, 12:29 AM)
Sawneeks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Natiko

That's what it was. I knew I felt like I had played with you but it wasn't sticking out. Quarantine is a fever dream lol

But yes, I realize that. Was just an observation that stuck out to me. Even now when you did return you opted to go with a blanket statement instead of following up much. Did you find most of the answers unremarkable?

Pretty much. There were a few I might go back to but I wanted to get the majority of this taken care of first before I went back and sat down with the others.

One of them was yours actually so I might as well bring that up here since we're talking. I didn't quote it because I was going to role this into my read of you but i feel like you aren't trying to Scum Hunt. It was brought up before but when you said there are far better things to discuss on Day 1 and when I suggested something to talk about you essentially shut it down and didn't want to talk. You did that again in regards to Palmer as well that Monkey pointed out. I know your defense has been around Gafia's Meta of becoming obsessive with things and not wanting that to happen on you but at the same time I feel like because of your shut down of that initial discussion you're more apt to wait for things to happen than try and make them happen yourself.

It leaves me feeling not very confident about you; you strike me as a Player that will go out of their way to look for clues and answers when trying to find Scum and I don't feel that from you right now. Again, I get this feeling that you're just waiting for something to happen you can react to instead of being proactive about it. You've picked up as discussion has picked up but your initial unwillingness to push forward does not give me great feelings. Strikes me as Scum unwilling to push Town forward and not want to get discussion centered around them in the process.

Originally Posted by Sawneeks

03. [they] Darryl - EST
- What are your thoughts on Palmer? Also, what are your thoughts on BB's 'joke' reads list?

04. [m] Lifeline - EST
- I was impressed with your previous game and would like to know what your thoughts/impressions are here so far. Palmer, any players that may stick out to you, and your general thoughts so far?

07. [m] SexyFish - EST
- You mentioned that you don't believe Palmer is Scum because doing so is a risk in these 'flavorful fruit-filled times'. What did you mean by this? Also, how do you plan to hunt for Scum in this game? You also mentioned you got lynched last time for being 'too jumpy', how do you plan to change that this time around?

08. [m] Dr. Worm - EST
- I actually don't really have a question for you as you've been kinda giving your thoughts here and there. We've discussed Palmer but is there anyone sticking out to you at all? And why?

12. [m] 30yearsofhurt - GMT+10
- Lots of one-sentence jokes here and there. My question to you is what do you look for when scum hunting? And do you believe in lynching an active player or a coasting player today? You also didn't really comment on Palmer's claim; do you believe him? Why or why not?

10. [m] Blargonaut - GMT

SO

unless I just didn't notice it (because not everyone direct quoted me) these are the people that haven't responded back yet to my questions. Lifeline and Darryl haven't posted since then so I'm assuming they haven't had time to respond BUT that doesn't excuse the rest of you. Some of you have posted multiple times in between my question as well sooo

Dr. Worm, 30, and Blarg; why are you ignoring me? That's rude. :c

Vote: 30yearsofhurt

Because while Dr. Worm did ignore me I do like the questions he has asked and his contributions so far. Between Blarg and 30 I actually feel like 30 has had more 'fluff' posts or posts that haven't stuck out as much when compared to Blarg.

SexyFish I know you said you were busy with family issues ( and that's fine! hope everything is okay! ) so when you do get a chance to respond that would be great, thank you.
Sawneeks
Member
(05-19-2017, 12:37 AM)
Sawneeks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blargonaut

Lifeline & Sawneeks --> responsible for providing reads on: Natiko, oreomunsta

Also I will get to this in a bit, I love mafia but I have other things I want to get to today. :x

be back later with some sick reads.
Natiko
Member
(05-19-2017, 01:07 AM)
Natiko's Avatar
I was actually far more motivated D1 in my only game as scum. Most of my D1's I just comment on things that stick out and prod people to play. I can't help it that nothing has stuck out to me as scum so far.
oreomunsta
Member
(05-19-2017, 02:04 AM)
oreomunsta's Avatar

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

Double-checked, and yep, Oreo has been posting nothing but fluff. His only posts resembling substance are the one where he thanked Blarg for pointing out the timing of my vote being close to monkeys, and a post where he admits he doesn't have any leads or reads. I would feel no regret lynching him right now.

I'm not sure why you're homing in on me, Odin, but I don't blame you if you haven't gotten a Town read from me.

To be fair, I have a hard time keeping up with the conversation when a good number of veteran posters are sending out long analyses of characters, and I don't feel I can contribute much to meta discussion at this time (this is only my second game).

I'd argue that my one other non-fluff post would be where I mention that I disapprove of Blarg's plan. I think it would divert conversation in a direction that may not be favorable towards Town, but I'm in the minority here with regards to that side of the debate.

Thread Tools