• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Sophia
Member
(05-19-2017, 02:08 AM)
Sophia's Avatar
HEADS UP NOTICE FOR ALL PLAYERS: I am going to be out for day's end tomorrow, as I have a job interview to attend right at the same time the day phase ends. Crimson will be ending the day phase for me with assistance from the other mods. If you need anything for whatever reason, and it's under an hour to day end, contact him instead of me. Thanks!

Day 1 votes so far:

blackbuzzard (0)
natiko 97 (386)
hey_monkey 272 (354)

blargonaut (1)
burbeting 102 (338)
palmer_v1 118

sawneeks (2)
wherearemahdragonz 110
blackbuzzard 130 (396)
darryl 147

oreomunsta (1)
hey_monkey 111 (241)
skyodin 112

natiko (0)
acohrs 123 (238)
swamped 236 (239)

sexyfish (0)
sawneeks 131 (397)

moonkid (1)
lifeline 132

30yearsofhurt (3)
acohrs 238
hey_monkey 354
sawneeks 397

hey_monkey (1)
swamped 239

stanleypalmtree (0)
hey_monkey 241 (272)
isaacnukem 314 (340)

palmer_v1 (2)
blargonaut 334
isaacnukem 340

lifeline (1)
natiko 386

Majority is 11

Day 1 ends in:

Last edited by Sophia; 05-19-2017 at 02:12 AM.
hey_monkey
Member
(05-19-2017, 02:10 AM)
hey_monkey's Avatar
Good luck with the interview, Overlord Sophia! I leave you with my lunchpizza - double spicy pepperoni and banana peppers. It gives you heart and luck. Possibly also high blood pressure.

isaacnukem
Member
(05-19-2017, 02:53 AM)
isaacnukem's Avatar
Good luck, Sophia! :)
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-19-2017, 03:03 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sawneeks

Okay so instead of quoting 13-ish posts I'm just going to give a blanket thank you to everyone who actually responded to my questions so far. It was very appreciated!



Swamped pointed this out as well but I'm curious as to why this specifically gives you Town vibes?



More of me just pointing it out but this feels very....uh, the word isn't coming to me but almost withheld? Like, afraid to put your opinion out there.

I'm willing to give it a pass on Day 1 because you're a new player but it is something I will be keeping on eye on. :x



also i have no idea why but this made me laugh really hard. thank you.



If that's the case what do you plan to look for in a lynch candidate for today?



...y-yes?

>.>

<.<

v.v



You gotta check the board more, I posted the answer in scum chat.

No



Also, I agree with Sky here. I see no issue with Blarg's idea other than I would find it better if we got some more overlap with players like a few have already suggested. Having players put down their thoughts on others will help us later on when we find Scum and can look back and see what they thought about others as well as find possible inconsistencies with someone's thoughts.

I also agree that it would be worth 'pushing' players that only do the bare minimum of these reads. I'm not saying be crazy and read all living players every Day Phase ( more power to you if you do though ) but coming in, hitting your 10 post count, posting your 2 reads and then leaving would be skirting the line and I would be fine giving those players some scrutiny.



What do you mean by this? 'I want to lean Town' is a very weird choice of words. Do you or do you not lean Town on him?

Gut read. The arguments made are really petty and feel inconsequential to me, and they have little substance, which gives me the impression of two townies grasping at straws on D1 for some kind of foothold. Plus I doubt scum would stick their necks out like that on D1 when there's really no point to it
hey_monkey
Member
(05-19-2017, 03:09 AM)
hey_monkey's Avatar
I told myself I was gonna post less in this game but that ship has sailed, come back, and sailed again. Oh well. Since I can't take that back, I'll just try to be very thorough.

A stray observation: now that I see people beginning to response to Blarg’s call, I think it’s potentially actively problematic. Not only are people already only posting about their “assignments,” but it’s actively encouraging fluff. No one wants to not-deliver on an “assignment” even if that person is basically null/not really present, so they’re just padding. I don’t know if I find that helpful. It also potentially makes people who aren’t very active or who are coasting look active. “Look, I ‘read’ someone! I’m totally town!” Could make it harder to see the people who are actually inactive. Consider: yeah, making a reads list on nineteen people is hard. But so is reading fluff and padding from nineteen people.

But that could very well change tomorrow. I'm really not trying to be negative nancy here, but more to say - hey y'all, here's something to watch out for, just in case. Which as Burb said, has less to do with Blarg's motivations for the mini-game and more to do with what happens because of it.

Anyway, reads. I hope to update those that need updating tomorrow before vote time.

The newbies:
01. [m] isaacnukem - Came in and dropped a vote without saying anything about what was developing with Blarg. No read at this time but would like to see some activity. I’d especially like to know about that Palmer vote. Why?
02. [m] Moonkid - seems willing, bad timezone for live convos, but a null read at this time. I don’t see the scum vibes others are reading but I’ll pay sharp attention. Between the two, I’d look more at isaacnukem’s questioning of the no-cop joke and because of the above (no cops?! scum party! except nah). That seems potentially scummier than Moonkid but for now, I think they’re just being new.

Others:
03. [they] Darryl - aggressive. Reading town but such balls-out aggression isn’t always super helpful for town because if the aggro poster seems confident but is wrong, can influence others who are more impressionable.

04. [m] Lifeline - Dunno, not enough to read.

05. [m] SkyOdin - Doubt scum, but I suspect Sky as neutral. Even granting internet and long post problems (hope that gets resolved for you, man; I liked your analyses last game) there still seems a surface approach/lack of willingness to engage here. I suspect a neutral win con that requires him lasting and even a shorter-length post Sky is analytical enough to get taken out by scum.

06. [f] hey_monkey - posts too goddamned much. should settle down. probably won’t. hopes to live longer than in anime (that was the d3 thing, guys; it was a joke about dying d2 last game).

07. [m] SexyFish - Dunno, not enough to read. Hope things improve for you.

08. [m] Dr. Worm - Seems awfully trusting. Is that pro-town? Until I went back and re-read, I was leaning town on Dr. Worm but he trusted Palmer, Blarg’s idea (though did make some suggestions for improving it), and there was that bit with Natik0 that looks like a push but was actually not. His “assigned” reads were just summarizing. On the re-read, looks like someone who wants to appear to be hunting scum without actually pushing anything at all. Safe behavior.

09. [m] Palmer_v1 - Dat claim tho. I’ve already posted on that. I think it’s not productive to chase Palmer over it even though it does ding my radar so I’ll push him toward slight town.

10. [m] Blargonaut - Some of my concerns about Palmer’s claim apply here. For both, it seems calculated. Here’s how to play. Here’s what to do. But Palmer’s forceful in general. I don’t know enough of Blarg and from what I see said about him, no one really knows what to expect. I will say that there’s a similarity with Swamped that I’m going to address in another post. I’m null-leaning slight scum at this time. There are things happening in his posts and they are inspiring discussion for sure but is it just noise? If it’s just noise, is it helpful to town at this juncture? Later, maybe. But d1 discussion is good, noise maybe less so. But we’ll see as the day phase winds down. Also, I’m torn on the avvy. Is it cute? Is it horrifying? Is it cutifying? Can I just vote your avatar?

11. [f] Sawneeks - Town, I believe. She’s working to draw out others with strong, specific questions. It could be cover but it seems like a good way to foster scum-hunting in early game.

12. [m] 30yearsofhurt - I’d like to see those reads on Palmer and Dragonz. In anime I feel like you asked some good questions but didn’t push enough. That doesn’t mean you have to post a billion times like some monkey, but push. For now, null. Will update after I see the reads, perhaps.

13. [m] oreomunsta - Before today, like Sky, I had you on a scum list, but not so much so that I’d lynch you right now. That was weird, right? And what are the odds of two games, two scum roles? It’s possible enough that I’m not saying it clears you, but it quirks my curiosity a bit. But like Sky said, until today, you were posting stuff and nonsense. Only content was on Palmer and I disagree re: possible Godfather because his claim does invite a check/clear, but today you’ve been posting a bit of substance. But like Dragonz said of Palmer, you do seem like you’re being awfully appeasing. Dislike Blarg’s plan but also see merit. Agreeing you could be scum read. You’re just not sure, etc. From someone else, I’d read this as maybe scummy, but here I think it’s someone coming off a scum game and having to re-navigate the space. For now.

14. [m] BlackBuzzard - BB seemed more into early discussion and scum-hunting in anime. Nothing at all of substance until today despite activity. Warned against people only supplying ideas based on Blarg’s list and then only answered Saw’s questions. Nothing else. Few reads offered were vague and primarily defensive. Right now, I’m seeing scumBuzzard.

15. [m] Burbeting - I think town but slippery. You’ve poked a bit without making huge waves. Doesn’t call attention to you as a target but is productive. For now, I like it.

16. [m] acohrs - Playing it pretty cool and casual. By his own measure, that’s scummy. Are you scummy? Not enough here for me to tell either way. Very surface. Some meta analysis on Palmer’s claim but that’s really it.

17. [m] Natiko - Lean very slight scum pending last day of day phase behavior. Avoids. Repeats instead of engages. But maybe just legitimately thinks he’s being clear; seems frustrated at being misunderstood, and I can empathize. Not tops on my radar.

18. [f] WhereAreMahDragonz - I misread Dragonz in our last game so I’m gonna sit on this but right now my gut says town.

19. [f] Swamped - See above. I will address Swamped in another post.

20. [m] StanleyPalmtree - Null at this time. Stanley makes me laugh. I don’t agree with his assessment of Blarg’s idea but other than that, a null read.

VOTE: Dr. Worm
30yearsofhurt
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:25 AM)
30yearsofhurt's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sawneeks

Dr. Worm, 30, and Blarg; why are you ignoring me? That's rude. :c

Vote: 30yearsofhurt

Because while Dr. Worm did ignore me I do like the questions he has asked and his contributions so far. Between Blarg and 30 I actually feel like 30 has had more 'fluff' posts or posts that haven't stuck out as much when compared to Blarg.

SexyFish I know you said you were busy with family issues ( and that's fine! hope everything is okay! ) so when you do get a chance to respond that would be great, thank you.

Didn't know i was being asked a question.
Some of my posts may seem like fluff because I really don't have much to add yet.

If you want my reads:

Palmer
Just came right out and said DON'T INVESTIGATE ME OR ELSE.
Thought it was odd until Oreo came to his defense and mentioned the Godfather role.
So we may never know Palmer's true alignment until he is lynched or killed.
I'm a little confused how we can deal with this particular elephant in the room.
Even with this being role madness what benefit can there be to town with vanilla town coming out and declaring themselves so? Do we waste a lynch to find out if he's lying?
I don't have an answer.

Oreo
Oreo has a question mark solely for his defence of Palmer.

Dragonz
Where's the fun loving dragz from anime. She seems to be playing differently. More deliberately. Only one flippant smily face thing when I facetiously asked her if she had a kill role. Does she suddenly have more at stake in this game.

Although I am against D1 lynches I know they go down like lead balloons here. So I'm probably going to go with Dragz. But I may change depending on what I can deduce as I go along.

Vote: WhereAreMahDragonz

Nothing personal but I really can't any convincing arguments yet and you are behaving different. For that matter monkey is too but she already said why that is and I trust her.
Dr. Worm
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:28 AM)
Dr. Worm's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sawneeks

Dr. Worm, 30, and Blarg; why are you ignoring me?

I feel like the answer to the question you posed is self-evident?

If there's something that I would think would be useful to point out, I'll point it out. Early strokes D1 is slim pickings.

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

A stray observation: now that I see people beginning to response to Blarg’s call, I think it’s potentially actively problematic. Not only are people already only posting about their “assignments,” but it’s actively encouraging fluff. No one wants to not-deliver on an “assignment” even if that person is basically null/not really present, so they’re just padding. I don’t know if I find that helpful. It also potentially makes people who aren’t very active or who are coasting look active. “Look, I ‘read’ someone! I’m totally town!” Could make it harder to see the people who are actually inactive. Consider: yeah, making a reads list on nineteen people is hard. But so is reading fluff and padding from nineteen people.

If anything, I think getting more focused reads on every player is helpful - many players will fly under the radar if there's nothing arbitrarily forcing them to be read. Too often, we're drawing attention to whoever is posting the most, because they're the easiest to read - we don't usually end up pursuing inactives, and there's a decent-sized mushy middle where mafia likes to hide that often goes unaddressed.

Are you kvetching about what I said in particular? I'm guessing you are, because you voted me and there wasn't a ton to say concerning the people I read - null is a read. If you want to single me out for not pushing a scumread yet on D1, well, that's your prerogative.

You also want to criticize me for trusting Blargonaut and Palmer_v1, even though I've explained my reasoning; I don't think there's much harm in that. Do you have reasons why I should distrust either of them?
30yearsofhurt
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:34 AM)
30yearsofhurt's Avatar
Who the hell was I supposed to read?
Moonkid
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:41 AM)
Moonkid's Avatar
I agree with the general sentiment that overlap is a better idea. In any case, beyond the role-claim Palmer seems to feel pretty strongly about not partaking in Blarg's reading 'mini-game' believing that it'll have more negative consequences than positive in the long run. His disapproval strikes me less than the way he expressed it because it kinda draws attention and to what end I'm unsure. As far as lynching coasters go it seems a bit early to make that judgement? Not really sure how I feel about that because on the other hand it does put pressure to post more.

Nothing particularly struck me with acohrs; their evaluation of Palmer's claim looked pretty standard as does their commentary overall.

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

Moonkid, the last few hours of a Day phase have a tendancy to speed up and get more insane the closer we get to the day's end. We have had cases where lynch candidates have gone from having one vote on them to having a plurality of votes in a sudden shift in the last five minutes of a game. It is a time where votes can be very volatile.

It tends to be worse on days where there is no clear vote leader heading into the final few hours. If the vote is split between two or three people with only a few votes each, then the end of the game is usually sheer chaos.

Under those circumstances that seems inevitable but also counter-productive for town because it looks like the most ideal opportunity for mafia to sway votes. I'll have to experience it first hand to make proper sense of it anyway.

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

Now, onto my appraisal of Moonkid. In summary: a newbie who is posting nothing but questions and fluff. Take the second half of the post I quoted above:

It demonstrates good taste in manga/anime, but is the pure definition of fluff. I think the only actual comment Moonkid has made on the game so far was about Palmer's role claim. I can understand that Moonkid is new, but he isn't showing a whole lot of initiative. I will respect the gentleman's agreement to not lynch newbies on Day 1, but Moonkid needs to step up more, or I will start scum reading him on Day 2.

I'll be honest this is more or less accurate to how I've been approaching the game so far. I'm not feeling confident but I'll do my best to be more proactive since what I put in is what I get. With minimal contribution it'll just lead to me posting defensively anyway which isn't very ideal.

Originally Posted by Swamped

Moonkid - Looking through his posts, I can't find much scumhunting tbh. Some fluff. He's a new player though, so I can understand his reticence regardless of what alignment he is. He does believe Palmer's claim however (quoted below). Has not voted for anyone yet, and did not address Lifeline's vote on him.

I'll concede that I should be more active but it's not so much reticence as it as not having much to say as far as scumhunting goes. The impression I got was that scumhunting was of limited use at this stage anyway.

As for Lifeline's vote, it passed my mind given that he's been inactive thus far and his reasoning didn't seem like the kind the rest of the players would latch onto in agreement thus there wouldn't be much danger. I can only speculate why it was me and not isaacnukem. With this post in mind as well,

Originally Posted by Lifeline

So what are the chances I break my record and survive past the first day phase this time?

PS: I love Pineapples.Especially on pizza.

I'd need to have a browse of the Arkham and other past games to know for sure but if their inactivity is what lead to early lynches then their behaviour seems par for the course too.

Originally Posted by Swamped

"People who stir the pot" did not feel like a joke answer to me tbh. It's like he was too jittery to elaborate so decided to deflect, saying it was a joke all along. Early read - newbie scum.

I almost didn't include it but I thought what I had in the end would make it obvious enough. Not unfair though, since you're not the only one who read it that way.

Originally Posted by Sawneeks

More of me just pointing it out but this feels very....uh, the word isn't coming to me but almost withheld? Like, afraid to put your opinion out there.

I'm willing to give it a pass on Day 1 because you're a new player but it is something I will be keeping on eye on. :x

As aforementioned it was meant to be fluff.
SkyOdin
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:44 AM)
SkyOdin's Avatar

Originally Posted by 30yearsofhurt

Who the hell was I supposed to read?

Blarg asked for your reads on StanleyPalmtree and SexyFish. It should be easy homework. Why don't you give a read on acohrs while you are at it?
SkyOdin
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:49 AM)
SkyOdin's Avatar
Right, Blarg wanted my detailed read of Sawneeks too.

...

...

You know what, there is no way that I will consider somethat verbose, who presses other players to that extent, scum for any reason other than rampant paranoia. That read might change over time, but I can't see myself voting for Sawneeks right now.


Thanks for the response Moonkid.
hey_monkey
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:51 AM)
hey_monkey's Avatar
Yikes, I'm on mobile and can't easily post an image of it but when Dr. Worm quotes me I have symbols everywhere. I guess because I typed in an rtf file without thinking. Is that showing up all jacked up for everyone else? Because if so that makes it super hard to read and I'm sorry. 😔
SkyOdin
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:54 AM)
SkyOdin's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

Yikes, I'm on mobile and can't easily post an image of it but when Dr. Worm quotes me I have symbols everywhere. I guess because I typed in an rtf file without thinking. Is that showing up all jacked up for everyone else? Because if so that makes it super hard to read and I'm sorry. 😔

Looks normal to me on my phone.
Moonkid
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:55 AM)
Moonkid's Avatar

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

Thanks for the response Moonkid.

No problem. I should have added thanks for clarifying the late day-phase in that post too.
hey_monkey
Member
(05-19-2017, 04:58 AM)
hey_monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

Looks normal to me on my phone.

Oh good. I will make sure to convert my notes file though just in case. Thanks!
30yearsofhurt
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:00 AM)
30yearsofhurt's Avatar

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

Blarg asked for your reads on StanleyPalmtree and SexyFish. It should be easy homework. Why don't you give a read on acohrs while you are at it?

Oh okay.

Stan is a kiwi who has priors for non-attendance. I'm reading tardy more than scum.

Sexyfish has nothing but fluff to read because of family matters. Which should be understandable to some people. I'm not going to shit on him or his situation for the sake of a game of mafia. And on D1 no less.

acohrs mistakenly believes me to be a kiwi. Seems to be playing the game properly. Not reading anything but orthodox town. Will probably be one of the leaders of town. But then again I thought the same about Cabot.
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-19-2017, 05:05 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by 30yearsofhurt

Didn't know i was being asked a question.
Some of my posts may seem like fluff because I really don't have much to add yet.

If you want my reads:

Palmer
Just came right out and said DON'T INVESTIGATE ME OR ELSE.
Thought it was odd until Oreo came to his defense and mentioned the Godfather role.
So we may never know Palmer's true alignment until he is lynched or killed.
I'm a little confused how we can deal with this particular elephant in the room.
Even with this being role madness what benefit can there be to town with vanilla town coming out and declaring themselves so? Do we waste a lynch to find out if he's lying?
I don't have an answer.

Oreo
Oreo has a question mark solely for his defence of Palmer.

Dragonz
Where's the fun loving dragz from anime. She seems to be playing differently. More deliberately. Only one flippant smily face thing when I facetiously asked her if she had a kill role. Does she suddenly have more at stake in this game.

Although I am against D1 lynches I know they go down like lead balloons here. So I'm probably going to go with Dragz. But I may change depending on what I can deduce as I go along.

Vote: WhereAreMahDragonz

Nothing personal but I really can't any convincing arguments yet and you are behaving different. For that matter monkey is too but she already said why that is and I trust her.

Man you gotta give me a chance to get warmed up (σ≧∀≦)σ
Sawneeks
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:09 AM)
Sawneeks's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

VOTE: Dr. Worm

Why vote for Dr. Worm and not BB? From how it reads to me you feel roughly the same about both so what made you choose him?

Originally Posted by 30yearsofhurt

Nothing personal but I really can't any convincing arguments yet and you are behaving different. For that matter monkey is too but she already said why that is and I trust her.

?

Why do you trust Monkey despite her acting differently yet Scum Read Dragonz for the same reasoning?

Originally Posted by Dr. Worm

I feel like the answer to the question you posed is self-evident?

If there's something that I would think would be useful to point out, I'll point it out. Early strokes D1 is slim pickings.

Gotcha, sorry. When I was looking over who did and did not respond to me I didn't really fully read-over all the questions I asked, just looked at who didn't say anything. That was my bad. :x

Originally Posted by Moonkid

Under those circumstances that seems inevitable but also counter-productive for town because it looks like the most ideal opportunity for mafia to sway votes. I'll have to experience it first hand to make proper sense of it anyway.

This has been discussed before outside of the games but it's just this 'thing' that Gafia does for some reason. Other Mafia communities usually don't run out the timer and make a mad-dash at the end of a Day Phase, it's just something we were never able to break. The good news is if a Scum member is up for lynch towards the End of a Day Phase sometimes their teammates mess up and blatantly vote elsewhere without a good reason as to why. It can be a good Scum Hunting tool if we find proper Scum and can look back at the votes.
SkyOdin
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:11 AM)
SkyOdin's Avatar

Originally Posted by 30yearsofhurt

acohrs mistakenly believes me to be a kiwi. Seems to be playing the game properly. Not reading anything but orthodox town. Will probably be one of the leaders of town. But then again I thought the same about Cabot.

Huh, surprisingly strong town read. For someone who has a vote on you at that.

I asked because acohrs didn't stick out in my head. Going back though, while he has one or two nice analytical posts, he also posts a lot of fluff. Why do you see him as town leader material?
Moonkid
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:16 AM)
Moonkid's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sawneeks

This has been discussed before outside of the games but it's just this 'thing' that Gafia does for some reason. Other Mafia communities usually don't run out the timer and make a mad-dash at the end of a Day Phase, it's just something we were never able to break. The good news is if a Scum member is up for lynch towards the End of a Day Phase sometimes their teammates mess up and blatantly vote elsewhere without a good reason as to why. It can be a good Scum Hunting tool if we find proper Scum and can look back at the votes.

Hm, didn't consider that either. Will keep in mind for sure.
StanleyPalmtree
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:28 AM)
StanleyPalmtree's Avatar
i wasnt sure if i was gonna play along, but then i got shit all else to say so why not.

Isaacnukem:

nothing super notable from him, not much posting but as a newer player i cant really find any fault.
voted for me but pretty clearly as a joke, has since voted for Palmer citing 'pineapple intolerance' not entirely sure what to think of that, perhaps he could elaborate on this?

WAMD:

feeling good about Wamd so far. one of the bigger contributers, generally helpful discussion on most of the topics that have come up, no points made that seem overly leading.
nothing really substantial has come from any of it, but then nothing really substantial has happened at all yet.
feels decently in character from what i remember from her in previous games, if a bit tamer.
leaves me with townie lean, though one that could easily change as things pick up a bit.
StanleyPalmtree
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:29 AM)
StanleyPalmtree's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhereAreMahDragonz

Man you gotta give me a chance to get warmed up (σ≧∀≦)σ

given previous game, i can only assume this is code for "black out drunk"
30yearsofhurt
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:38 AM)
30yearsofhurt's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sawneeks

Why do you trust Monkey despite her acting differently yet Scum Read Dragonz for the same reasoning?

Maybe cause I feel bad for her lynching in Anime and chatting with her in the spectator thread after I got booted. She's already explained it herself here anyway.

Originally Posted by SkyOdin

Huh, surprisingly strong town read. For someone who has a vote on you at that.

I asked because acohrs didn't stick out in my head. Going back though, while he has one or two nice analytical posts, he also posts a lot of fluff. Why do you see him as town leader material?

Just the 'vibe'. Sounds like he knows what he's doing. You' can't really avoid fluff on D1 though. Especially given the nature of the 'flavour' of this game. And I use that word very loosely.
Are you saying I should be sus of something acohrs has said?
hey_monkey
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:52 AM)
hey_monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sawneeks

Why vote for Dr. Worm and not BB? From how it reads to me you feel roughly the same about both so what made you choose him?

That's a good question. I went into that reads list thinking I would vote for BB again but I've already voted for BB and it would have felt like doubling down to me. After he started to post more while I was working, I wasn't quite ready for that. Voted Dr. Worm mostly as a prod to see how he'd respond, and lo:

Originally Posted by Dr. Worm

Are you kvetching about what I said in particular? I'm guessing you are, because you voted me and there wasn't a ton to say concerning the people I read - null is a read. If you want to single me out for not pushing a scumread yet on D1, well, that's your prerogative.

You also want to criticize me for trusting Blargonaut and Palmer_v1, even though I've explained my reasoning; I don't think there's much harm in that. Do you have reasons why I should distrust either of them?

I'm remarking that you so far have a pattern of just saying "okay, sure" to whatever might be questionable and even when you read/press you're not doing either. It may just be d1 behavior. It may be all for appearances. At the end of my reads, you were my vote. I thought you were totally fine until I went back and close-read the thread and then I started to have questions. It isn't that your reads were null - null is fine. It's that you only just summarized their posts thus far. That's it. Your judgments aren't judgments, either (maybe this, but maybe that).

Maybe it's d1 uncertainty. I've changed my vote multiple times to push so forget the vote and look at the rest. I'm building up toward end of day, but I'm not settled yet. I expect a lot is about to happen and it's mostly going to be town noise that we'll have to sift through. As someone else (Dragonz?) said, there's not as much reason for scum to stick their heads into that. But I'm looking for less active + less real content myself at this early stage.
Sawneeks
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:54 AM)
Sawneeks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blargonaut

Lifeline & Sawneeks --> responsible for providing reads on: Natiko, oreomunsta

Natiko :
Starts with premium, A-Grade shitposts until Burb calls out the fact that he felt Natiko's and BB's interactions felt 'forced'. I think I might have said earlier I found it interesting that Natiko voted for BB in his opening post but after having gone back and re-read everything I don't feel like this is alignment indicative. I could see a Scum!Nat, Town!Nat, or even a Neutral!Nat make that kind of a joke vote regardless of BB's alignment.

Darryl then hops in and they go back-and-forth for a few posts and nothing really sticks out here. Nat's logic is solid, at least. I jump in and question Nat a bit and this is where he begins to shift from just 'frustration' to 'frustrated and defensive'. Keeps bringing up how this sort of 'nitpicking' leads other Towns to ruin and says we should avoid that. Like I said, defensive.

Comments on Palmer's claim, says he is skeptical but won't provide details. Specifically says " I just don't feel going into it right now is the best choice." ( #245). More clarification on what he does not want to discuss, specifically the idea of lynching coasters when it was early in the Day Phase and the focus brought up his conversation with BB. More 'we really shouldn't follow the steps of what past Towns have done' in regards to his conversation.

Comments on Blarg's plan, feels it is flawed. Explains further with Sky that he worries it will encourage people to be lazy by only doing their two reads and not much else, preferring to sit back and do the minimum. Does Blarg's homework and then votes for Lifeline who hasn't appeared in some time.

Mentions that the only time he was ever really motivated in a Day 1 was when he was Scum, says he mostly takes Day 1s by commenting on things that stick out and prodding people. Says nothing has stuck out so far.

Conclusion: Defensive and slightly cautious? Feels like Nat is hiding something to me and got a little spooked when a few people questioned him so early that he has backpedaled on his actions. It does feel like he is waiting for something as well, something even he stated slightly when saying his Day 1s usually entail him commenting on things that stick out and not something like 'trying to push discussion'. Falls in line with what he says but I don't like him just waiting and commenting when things appear instead of pushing for those 'things', reminds me of Scum who don't want to push discussion but want to appear active. A very very light Scum read.

Oreomunsta:
Likes oreos on his pizza....? Also a lot of shitposts! Shitposts are probably on the side though, on a pizza wouldn't be sanitary.

Did not immediately respond to Palmer's claim despite posting after it. Answers later that he doesn't read Palmer's claim as Scummy and that his claim doesn't make sense for a Godfather either. Mentions here as well that he's uncertain what to do but appreciates the activity.

Does not like Blarg's plan, claims it add unnecessary layers to the game.

Also notes the vote pair that Monkey and Sky put on him, vaguely musing if it means anything. Then responds to Sky again that he doesn't know what to do, saying these meta discussions are going a bit over his head. Also describes why he doesn't like Blarg's plan more: feels it will drive Town in a discussion that will become too distracting.

Conclusion: Null. Joke posts early on and then just ignores Palmer's claim until I ask him about it. Sort of just hanging around and not much else, doesn't comment on a whole lot. Could be Scum unsure of where to place a flag or Town without a sense of direction, more posts are going to be needed to make a call.
Sawneeks
Member
(05-19-2017, 06:08 AM)
Sawneeks's Avatar
Alright sooo I'm heading to bed. Want to go over one more person but I start jumbling my words together in that last post and I think that's a signal for some sleep. If I have time I want to go over Dr. Worms' posts again. I had a vague Town Lean on him but Monkey is suggesting the opposite so I want to go back and really take a look for myself.

Gonna answer these then get some zzzzz. Night everyone! o/

Originally Posted by 30yearsofhurt

Maybe cause I feel bad for her lynching in Anime and chatting with her in the spectator thread after I got booted. She's already explained it herself here anyway.

But why are you taking her word for it? You seem awfully quick to trust her.

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

That's a good question. I went into that reads list thinking I would vote for BB again but I've already voted for BB and it would have felt like doubling down to me. After he started to post more while I was working, I wasn't quite ready for that. Voted Dr. Worm mostly as a prod to see how he'd respond, and lo:

Gotcha, thank you!
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-19-2017, 06:18 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by StanleyPalmtree

given previous game, i can only assume this is code for "black out drunk"

(*^∀゚)ъ
Blargonaut
Member
(05-19-2017, 06:30 AM)
Blargonaut's Avatar
glad to see some players collaborating with reason. The more people do what I want, the more material you'll have later. Simple economics, yeah?

Think of your assigns as a stepping-stone

Am I asking you trust your partners unconditionally? No

surprise: They ARE your third read
surprise, I think of everything
surprise, my plan is alive and adaptable to all possible critique
surprise
Blargonaut
Member
(05-19-2017, 06:31 AM)
Blargonaut's Avatar
good luck Soph
hey_monkey
Member
(05-19-2017, 06:31 AM)
hey_monkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by 30yearsofhurt

Maybe cause I feel bad for her lynching in Anime and chatting with her in the spectator thread after I got booted. She's already explained it herself here anyway.

aw, thanks! We got hosed. And yeah, I did announce my intent even before the game started to play differently because I didn't wanna die under silly suspicion but I expect I'm gonna die under silly suspicion regardless, so don't let me get you in the hot water, 30.

All right, I said I'd talk about Swamped and Blarg, so here that goes. I didn't play much with Blarg last game, but I got the same things off Swamped last game so I'm not surprised but it's worth noting. I see both of them cherry-picking details and using them to construct rather than to analyze. Now, I've only seen Blarg do it once but maybe he demonstrated the efficacy of his own mini-reads in the different ways he read Dr. Worm and me because his Dr. Worm conclusions didn't seem super consistent and he went harder on me. Why? Because I was talking more with other people? I don't know.

And y'know, fine. We all play differently. But constructed narratives smack of scum planning to me at worst, or wrong-focus at best. And with Swamped, I find it more weird (maybe just because I've seen more of her), because:

1. When other people do and saying similar things, she's not calling them out. Has she missed them? I don't know. That's something I can't discern. But I find it puzzling. It's a problem when I do it, but not someone else? That feels like a construction or an accident; the first is not town and the second is sloppy so also not in town's favor. I don't think Swamped is a sloppy player after watching her in anime. So then what is it?

2. We actually agree on a lot of things. So then the call-outs seem double weird to me. Maybe they happened before we agreed on some things. I didn't do that comparison.

After anime, I really do wonder if Swamped and I just see some similar things but play very differently. If that's the case though and we're both town, it because very unproductive to chase each other. I'm not going to vote her today. I'm going to focus on other people I see as less active with less content or more scum vibes, but I wanted to put this out there. I do feel like a lot is going to change in the next 16 hours so I expect to be updating and adjusting more but I wanted to get reads and other things up just in case. It's been a fun day phase, if weird! and I sweartagod I will try to be less blathery in day 2 if I make it there but this is much more fun than all the things I'm supposed to be reading for summer research. ヾ(_ _*)
SkyOdin
Member
(05-19-2017, 06:32 AM)
SkyOdin's Avatar

Originally Posted by 30yearsofhurt

Just the 'vibe'. Sounds like he knows what he's doing. You' can't really avoid fluff on D1 though. Especially given the nature of the 'flavour' of this game. And I use that word very loosely.
Are you saying I should be sus of something acohrs has said?

Not anything in particular. I just found your town read to be curious. You seem calm despite the votes hanging over your head.
Blargonaut
Member
(05-19-2017, 06:32 AM)
Blargonaut's Avatar
brb
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-19-2017, 06:38 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar
Alright I'm going to give a few reads, not of the people I was "assigned" just yet, but moreso about others because I have more shit to say about them and I don't trust Blarg's plan one bit. Sorry bro. :(

hey_monkey: Girl, I don't know what it is about you, but you always give me slight scum vibes. This time, it's moreso about your eagerness to engage in certain topics over seemingly small details, instead of focusing on the bigger picture. I'm trying to change my perspective a bit and think that maybe this is just your play style, but you always post a lot without saying anything. I do slightly town-read your eagerness, and I feel as though your posts are only slightly fluffy, but there's always something...off. I'm not sure what it is. I town-read your explanation of certain things, but mostly I think I'm thrown off by your direct interactions with players. I'm not going to jump to conclusions since it's only D1, so I will give you a null read.

Sawneeks: Strong player, whether that be town or scum. Regardless of interactions during this day phase, I will be keeping my eye on you. You have been engaged throughout the day, which I town-read. And I like your prods and questioning of certain lines of thinking, especially in regards to 30years. Slight town.

30years: Scum-read. From his weak vote on me to his all over the place arguments and attitude, I am getting the vibe of D1 antsy scum behavior. Has not really given me any reason to think he is town. As Sawneeks stated, he calls me out for acting differently when monkey is doing the same thing, so it just feels like he's either fishing for some kind of information that he thinks I may have, or he's just trying to get me lynched early because I would have maybe become a problem for scum in Anime.

SkyOdin: I always like his posts. And for this reason, I always slightly town read him. But with that comes a certain level of tunnel-reading, so I am going to try very hard to not do that. Not really active this day phase, but has already explained that, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Would like to hear more from: Oreo, Moonkid, Lifeline, SexyFish. I have no reservations this game in regards to lynching a player who I feel is coasting.
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-19-2017, 06:40 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar
The biggest difference in this game as opposed to others is Blarg. He's always such a hard read, but I feel like he's at least trying to do SOMETHING productive this game, as opposed to his scum-play, where he just sits back and kind of...doesn't do anything, really.

I don't necessarily scum-read him for his plan, even if I don't agree with it.
Moonkid
Member
(05-19-2017, 08:46 AM)
Moonkid's Avatar
Seeing as how I'm gonna be away for most of the remaining day phase, I'll make my vote now. I'm not feeling compelled to vote for coasters yet.

VOTE: No Lynch
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-19-2017, 09:00 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moonkid

Seeing as how I'm gonna be away for most of the remaining day phase, I'll make my vote now. I'm not feeling compelled to vote for coasters yet.

VOTE: No Lynch

Then why a no lynch over someone you think is scum?
cabot
Member
(05-19-2017, 09:04 AM)
cabot's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

Death pizza

As a moderator, I'd like to state my objection to this monstrosity.

Don't eat that much meat.
Moonkid
Member
(05-19-2017, 09:11 AM)
Moonkid's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhereAreMahDragonz

Then why a no lynch over someone you think is scum?

I said as much earlier in the page but I genuinely can't put my foot down on someone being scum. I'm also aware that voting for someone has other uses too, like seeing how the voted respond, but even if I had someone in mind I wouldn't be able to properly follow up on it as I'll be asleep a couple hours from now until the night-phase.
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-19-2017, 10:05 AM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moonkid

I said as much earlier in the page but I genuinely can't put my foot down on someone being scum. I'm also aware that voting for someone has other uses too, like seeing how the voted respond, but even if I had someone in mind I wouldn't be able to properly follow up on it as I'll be asleep a couple hours from now until the night-phase.

The reality is that mislynches are very common during D1 as the votes are based mostly on gut reads and misdirection. Your non-committal to a vote, not even on a slight scum read, is a common tactic of scum players who don't want to make themselves seem guilty. It gives town less to go on during the next day phase and even during the night.

Unvote
30yearsofhurt
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:33 AM)
30yearsofhurt's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhereAreMahDragonz

The reality is that mislynches are very common during D1 as the votes are based mostly on gut reads and misdirection. Your non-committal to a vote, not even on a slight scum read, is a common tactic of scum players who don't want to make themselves seem guilty. It gives town less to go on during the next day phase and even during the night.

Unvote

Bags out newbie for not voting.
Unvotes herself.

YesNOnoNOYes
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:43 AM)
YesNOnoNOYes's Avatar

Originally Posted by hey_monkey

BEST PIZZA

As the spider tyrant of the community, I have to say your pizza taste is MOST EXCELLENT.

:thumbup:
Swamped
Member
(05-19-2017, 12:32 PM)
Swamped's Avatar
acohrs - I'm glad Blarg's pointed this one out for me because I totally forgot he was in the game. He did reply to a post I made about Palmer's gambit from a scum POV, saying it would be pretty bold to do as scum.

Originally Posted by acohrs

never seen scum so brave on GAFIA, and I say that as someone that has been scum way more than town

Originally Posted by acohrs

That's a good point actually, Palmer's role claim has gone down pretty well with most players. In fact, nobody has kicked that much of a stink up about it. Maybe scum see this roleclaim as a poisoned chalice and won't touch it or palmer is scum and they won't touch it to get one of their team lynched. Sadly, this is all guesswork and really doesn't help me to form an opinion at all right now.

@30years, hammer because I see that you like a good hammer in your mafia games, and sheep because you're a kiwi

He's also ok with lynching low activity players on D2, seems to be willing to give them a chance today.

Apart from this I'm really not seeing much, and a lot has definitely transpired. Acohrs fluff-posts quite a lot in general, but I feel that his ratio of fluff-to-content has really gone up in this game. Is he scum though? Could be. His one vote is on Natiko, a joke first vote. I don't see much actual scumhunting from him.

VOTE: acohrs

Subject to change, I'm still working on BB and Burb.
Swamped
Member
(05-19-2017, 12:39 PM)
Swamped's Avatar
Also Moonkid - thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted by Sawneeks


What do you mean by this? 'I want to lean Town' is a very weird choice of words. Do you or do you not lean Town on him?

I honestly think that Darryl would have posted the same way as scum. But for now, I really like their thought process and if they're town, it could be helpful for us. So basically, at this juncture, I want to believe in town-Darryl.
Swamped
Member
(05-19-2017, 12:51 PM)
Swamped's Avatar
I think Lifeline and SexyFish have been too inactive for me to make an opinion on them.

BB - another fluff poster. But post #370 contains reads. I did like reading his thoughts and hope he posts more. What I noticed is that he hasn't put down an actual vote though. Even though he has those reads, he seems to be hesitating when it comes down to vote. Still, BB was town in anime, and his posting style here feels similar. Except there he voted quite a bit, starting trains etc. It's what made me slightly town-read him there. He says he will cast a serious vote later though so looking forward to that.
SexyFish
wakes up from a Murphy bed bothered by nemesis Chow every f'n day
(05-19-2017, 01:03 PM)
SexyFish's Avatar
Catching up now. Will post my Blarg-designated reads/other thoughts soon.
StanleyPalmtree
Member
(05-19-2017, 01:18 PM)
StanleyPalmtree's Avatar
vote: Palmer_v1

thats for leaving me to do all the homework by myself!

also i think you might be scum or whatever.
SexyFish
wakes up from a Murphy bed bothered by nemesis Chow every f'n day
(05-19-2017, 01:35 PM)
SexyFish's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sawneeks


07. [m] SexyFish - EST
- You mentioned that you don't believe Palmer is Scum because doing so is a risk in these 'flavorful fruit-filled times'. What did you mean by this? Also, how do you plan to hunt for Scum in this game? You also mentioned you got lynched last time for being 'too jumpy', how do you plan to change that this time around?

.

I don't initially think Palmer is scum because he risks himself as being considered the Godfather with his claim as a powerless townie. He even admits it later on, and if he's doing 10d Snakes and Ladders maybe he's got it good. We just have flavorful fruit-filled times with our pineapples man.

Plan to hunt for scum by noticing inconsistencies, trying to elaborate quickly to get to the bottom of things (ironic as I haven't been able to post consistently yet, but will get that soon). I think the worst thing is to let strange things occur with no interrogation.

By too jumpy I meant I was probably seen as too bandwagony. I hopped on people's theories pretty quick and found them agreeable, but I can see that I did not input a lot of my own ideas that weren't built on others.
Dr. Worm
Member
(05-19-2017, 01:40 PM)
Dr. Worm's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhereAreMahDragonz

The biggest difference in this game as opposed to others is Blarg. He's always such a hard read, but I feel like he's at least trying to do SOMETHING productive this game, as opposed to his scum-play, where he just sits back and kind of...doesn't do anything, really.

I don't necessarily scum-read him for his plan, even if I don't agree with it.

Yeah, I was wondering why no one said anything about that.

I wouldn't say I town-read him for his plan, even if I agree with it. Knowing Blargonaut, he's not going to play straightforwardly regardless; gambitry is his game, and I don't think he's blowing his load on D1.
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-19-2017, 01:43 PM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar

Originally Posted by 30yearsofhurt

Bags out newbie for not voting.
Unvotes herself.

Who says I'm not going to vote anyone?

I invited Sawneeks, with the intention of voting someone else later in the day.
WhereAreMahDragonz
Each thing is the same with itself and different from another; D = D.
(05-19-2017, 01:45 PM)
WhereAreMahDragonz's Avatar
*unvoted

Thread Tools