• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Aztechnology
Member
(01-12-2017, 09:52 AM)
Aztechnology's Avatar
I was following the newsletter out of curiosity and just received an update that they are shipping the first units out.

I'm wondering if any Gaffers backed this project?

I'm a little skeptical based on the specs and generally the lack of industry support I imagine it will receive until the big dogs also adopt eye tracking. But I'm still going to be following this closely and would love some feedback if anyone is receiving one. Foveated rendering and eye tracking to me, is one of the biggest breakthroughs necessary to really propel VR forward.
Last edited by Aztechnology; 01-12-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Maiden Voyage
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:19 AM)
Maiden Voyage's Avatar
70hz display seems worrisome.
Durante
Come on down to Durante's drive-through PC port fixes. 15 minutes or less. Yelp: ★★★★★

Qualifications: Fixed Souls, Deadly Premonition, Lightning Returns, Umihara Kawase, Symphonia, PhD, likes mimosas.
(01-12-2017, 11:20 AM)
Durante's Avatar
From what I read about eye movement, neither 70 FPS nor 120 Hz eye tracking seem sufficient for full foveated rendering.
Aztechnology
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:24 AM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by Durante

From what I read about eye movement, neither 70 FPS nor 120 Hz eye tracking seem sufficient for full foveated rendering.

Yea, from my understanding, 240hz is necessary for eye tracking. 70hz, seems problematic unless there's some kind of interpolation helping like on the PSVR?
Metal B
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:29 AM)
Metal B's Avatar
Looks and reads shady. Even the name "Fove" is similar to Vive to make an extra point for knockoff.
Aztechnology
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:32 AM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metal B

Looks and reads shady. Even the name "Fove" is similar to Vive to make an extra point for knockoff.

It was a Kickstarter Project back before the Vive was even announced.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...irtual-reality

It's called Fove I assume because of Foveated rendering.
PeakPointMatrix
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:38 AM)
PeakPointMatrix's Avatar
That's what we all needed.

A seventh VR headset.
Aztechnology
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:43 AM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by PeakPointMatrix

That's what we all needed.

A seventh VR headset.

What we need is for companies to seriously be looking at eye tracking. If this helps at all, I'm all for it.

I mean it must have peaked Microsoft's curiosity so that's good.

If it were something really special I imagine they would be spotlighting it though. I'm just curious about how this level (very likely under what it needs to be) feels. If even at this level it may be worth implementation.

I've also been following Tobii Eye-X closely.
efyu_lemonardo
May I have a cookie?
(01-12-2017, 11:45 AM)
efyu_lemonardo's Avatar
Sooner than I expected.
DouglasteR
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:48 AM)
DouglasteR's Avatar
Waiting for reviews.

This will (even if not a success) help greatly the next Vive/Rift
Aztechnology
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:59 AM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by DouglasteR

Waiting for reviews.

This will (even if not a success) help greatly the next Vive/Rift

I hope so. I'm in even for $1000, if the Vive 2 has solid eye tracking.
Durante
Come on down to Durante's drive-through PC port fixes. 15 minutes or less. Yelp: ★★★★★

Qualifications: Fixed Souls, Deadly Premonition, Lightning Returns, Umihara Kawase, Symphonia, PhD, likes mimosas.
(01-12-2017, 12:56 PM)
Durante's Avatar

Originally Posted by PeakPointMatrix

That's what we all needed.

A seventh VR headset.

Actually, having hundreds of VR headsets would be great.
Just like we have hundreds of different monitor models for different requirements, use cases and price ranges.

They just all need to conform to the same open API like OpenVR or what is in development at Khronos.

(Which is one reason why buying VR games on a platform intentionally limited to one manufacturer is stupid IMHO)
Aztechnology
Member
(01-12-2017, 01:54 PM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by Durante

Actually, having hundreds of VR headsets would be great.
Just like we have hundreds of different monitor models for different requirements, use cases and price ranges.

They just all need to conform to the same open API like OpenVR or what is in development at Khronos.

(Which is one reason why buying VR games on a platform intentionally limited to one manufacturer is stupid IMHO)

That's China's job! I haven't seen anything specifically worth taking note of, beyond that vomit comet 4k set and maybe Pico, but they haven't really done anything significant in the PC space.

I would certainly like to see more competitors here in the West. Hopefully as prices on the parts for HMD's come down from economy of scale.
Arulan
Member
(01-12-2017, 08:38 PM)
Arulan's Avatar
I'm assuming this is using OpenVR? What is it using for input?

I found this before posting and it appears to answer both of my questions:

The headset will come with Lighthouse integration. FOVE will implement ValveĀ’s OpenVR and thus will support all OpenVR titles. The FOVE SDK is intended to seamlessly integrate content from Unity, Unreal Engine, and Cryengine allowing you to port your existing VR content into FOVE. The SDK is intended to allow the developer to add eye tracking to existing VR content as well as provides more graphics power with their native rendering.

EDIT:

Never mind, it looks like they dropped Lighthouse support to avoid delays.

In order to avoid further delays we are making the painful decision to drop Lighthouse support for this Kickstarter release. We will instead integrate our own optical tracking solution.

And that brings me back to one of my original questions, what is it using for tracked input?
otakuma
Junior Member
(01-12-2017, 08:42 PM)
otakuma's Avatar
After trying the PSVR (which yes, is very low-specs both in general and compared to this) I lost faith in VR. In my personal experience no immersion at all and motion sickness. I'm more excited for AR to come out, especially HoloLens.
Aztechnology
Member
(01-12-2017, 08:43 PM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by Arulan

I'm assuming this is using OpenVR? What is it using for input?

I found this before posting and it appears to answer both of my questions:



EDIT:

Never mind, it looks like they dropped Lighthouse support to avoid delays.



And that brings me back to one of my original questions, what is it using for tracked input?

No idea. Sad to hear they dropped the lighthouse support though. That actually impressed me a lot until I read down lol.
Ferrio
real-time lotion physics
(01-12-2017, 08:43 PM)
Ferrio's Avatar

Originally Posted by otakuma

After trying the PSVR (which yes, is very low-specs both in general and compared to this) I lost faith in VR. In my personal experience no immersion at all and motion sickness. I'm more excited for AR to come out, especially HoloLens.

Try roomscale before you write it off. Easier said than done, but if you have the chance to try a Vive I suggest doing so.
Kaako
Felium Defensor
(01-12-2017, 08:45 PM)
Kaako's Avatar
70fps display tech and it's supposed to use eye-tracking? Ewww, no thanks.
Aztechnology
Member
(01-12-2017, 08:47 PM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ferrio

Try roomscale before you write it off. Easier said than done, but if you have the chance to try a Vive I suggest doing so.

Absolutely, I can't imagine not having room scale and the lighthouse. It's miles beyond PSVR.
otakuma
Junior Member
(01-12-2017, 08:48 PM)
otakuma's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ferrio

Try roomscale before you write it off. Easier said than done, but if you have the chance to try a Vive I suggest doing so.

That's the problem. Even if had money to invest, I simply wouldn't have enough room in any part of my apartment to have it functioning at roomscale. And I don't think I'm alone. That's why I don't think in general VR is gonna be that disruptive. Maybe it will be kinda popular for gaming, on a couch, once resolution and latency will get very good at a reasonable price for consumers, but I don't see the revolution they're trying to sell us.
Thraktor
Member
(01-12-2017, 08:56 PM)
Thraktor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aztechnology

Yea, from my understanding, 240hz is necessary for eye tracking. 70hz, seems problematic unless there's some kind of interpolation helping like on the PSVR?

The problem with interpolating eye movement (as opposed to head movement, which PSVR, etc. interpolate) is that eyes can move far faster, and change direction incredibly fast, making them very difficult to predict.

I should hopefully get to play around with one of these soon, though, so I'll return with impressions when I do.
Aztechnology
Member
(01-12-2017, 09:58 PM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by Thraktor

The problem with interpolating eye movement (as opposed to head movement, which PSVR, etc. interpolate) is that eyes can move far faster, and change direction incredibly fast, making them very difficult to predict.

I should hopefully get to play around with one of these soon, though, so I'll return with impressions when I do.

No I meant interpolation for the refresh rate of the screen, not the tracking solution. That wouldn't help with eye tracking.

Much appreciated though. I'm curious to see how 120hz eye tracking feels. I imagine it would leave you intrigued, but wanting for a more accurate solution.
Aztechnology
Member
(01-12-2017, 10:22 PM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by otakuma

That's the problem. Even if had money to invest, I simply wouldn't have enough room in any part of my apartment to have it functioning at roomscale. And I don't think I'm alone. That's why I don't think in general VR is gonna be that disruptive. Maybe it will be kinda popular for gaming, on a couch, once resolution and latency will get very good at a reasonable price for consumers, but I don't see the revolution they're trying to sell us.

Locomotion is another huge thing that needs to be solved. Eye tracking kind of goes hand in hand with it though due to how our eyes/head movie with our body to keep track of a focal point etc.

I have a feeling that's much further out, though. Most of these outside the infinadeck, don't look like they'd be very practical space wise. Additionally, the issue of inertia is at play with all of these. We're probably a long way off on any of these. If not just the prohibitive cost.

There are some things like that hamster ball, Virtusphere
https://youtu.be/NmpOQZgHUMo

the infinadeck
https://youtu.be/9VW8JSGfGD4

Omnifinity
https://youtu.be/wPffziOrE6Y

Outside that, haptic feedback, natural body controllers are needed too. The glove solutions with haptic feedback of some kind and tracking seem to be the best bet for now.

Thread Tools