• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

CoolOff
(03-21-2017, 01:28 AM)

Originally Posted by MrMette

No, he means Kyle eats his slices of pizza from the crustside instead of the tip.

He what?

Scarl
(03-21-2017, 01:31 AM)

Originally Posted by CoolOff

He what?

You heard him. Kyle eats bugs
Kneefoil
(03-21-2017, 01:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Axass

Kyle: Shikamaru
Huber: Naruto
Brad: Sasuke
Jones: Kakashi
Blood: Shino
Ian: Ino
Ben: Rock Lee
Damiani: Neji
Don: Kiba

Kyle: Sniff
Huber: Little My
Brad: Moomintroll
Jones: Moominpappa
Blood: Moominmamma
Ian: Misabel
Ben: Hemulen
Damiani: Stinky
Don: Snufkin
mishakoz
(03-21-2017, 01:54 AM)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_jSHvGZSfA

Frame Trap up. Going to start a kickstarter for a bottle of windex and a rag for the VO booth window. Extended goals will include decorative stickers.
Burt
(03-21-2017, 01:56 AM)
Oh god

We made it everyone

We can officially stop posting about inane shit

#thetruthisoutthere
Servbot24
(03-21-2017, 01:57 AM)
I think a podcast I'd like to see is a spoilercast type of thing, but really focusing on game mechanics and how story comes together and the whole thing. It could be any format - 2 people, or as many people who have beaten the game. Wouldn't even have to be for recent games, it'd be cool to discuss games that have been out for a year or so to keep them from disappearing.
JStein0222
(03-21-2017, 02:05 AM)

Originally Posted by mishakoz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_jSHvGZSfA

Frame Trap up. Going to start a kickstarter for a bottle of windex and a rag for the VO booth window. Extended goals will include decorative stickers.

I've never really noticed this before, but I just started the podcast and at times it feels like the Allies heads are swimming around and avoiding their mics a little too much. Soft then loud then soft again. It's something that doesn't really happen with other shows I listen to, so I hope it's an issue that can be ameliorated
sleepwalkcapsules
(03-21-2017, 02:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Servbot24

I think a podcast I'd like to see is a spoilercast type of thing, but really focusing on game mechanics and how story comes together and the whole thing. It could be any format - 2 people, or as many people who have beaten the game. Wouldn't even have to be for recent games, it'd be cool to discuss games that have been out for a year or so to keep them from disappearing.

Yup.

That's what I want most. As I said here some pages back, wait for Kyle to beat FFXV and get everyone that played it to talk about the game on a spoilercast

It's an evergreen content, EZA hasn't got much of these.
mishakoz
(03-21-2017, 02:10 AM)

Originally Posted by JStein0222

I've never really noticed this before, but I just started the podcast and at times it feels like the Allies heads are swimming around and avoiding their mics a little too much. Soft then loud then soft again. It's something that doesn't really happen with other shows I listen to, so I hope it's an issue that can be ameliorated

Yay im one of today's lucky 10,000!
JStein0222
(03-21-2017, 02:19 AM)

Yay im one of today's lucky 10,000!

I don't know this reference and I'm afraid I've made a horrible mistake
ThanksVision
(03-21-2017, 02:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Servbot24

Completely agree. I really wish there were more analyses for games months after launch. After honeymoon period and when everyone has given it time to settle. One of my fav pieces of #content was the GB video where they just sat down with Jonathon Blow like 8 months later and talked through The Witness. Media just comes and goes now, think it would be cool to reflect on these big games before they get left in the dust
Holundrian
(03-21-2017, 02:26 AM)

Originally Posted by ThanksVision

Completely agree. I really wish there were more analyses for games months after launch. After honeymoon period and when everyone has given it time to settle. One of my fav pieces of #content was the GB video where they just sat down with Jonathon Blow like 8 months later and talked through The Witness. Media just comes and goes now, think it would be cool to reflect on these big games before they get left in the dust

That wasn't 8 month later though that was pretty close to its release. That said that was a fantastic piece of content. Another standout piece was them sitting down with John Bellomy(programmer at Naughty Dog) doing an Uncharted tech retrospective.
mishakoz
(03-21-2017, 02:36 AM)

I don't know this reference and I'm afraid I've made a horrible mistake

https://xkcd.com/1053/
JStein0222
(03-21-2017, 02:40 AM)

https://xkcd.com/1053/

Oh, I guess I am also one of today's lucky 10,000!
Nasbin
(03-21-2017, 03:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Burt

Oh god

We made it everyone

We can officially stop posting about inane shit

#thetruthisoutthere

We can't keep letting him get away with this...
Last edited by Nasbin; 03-21-2017 at 03:51 AM.
ThanksVision
(03-21-2017, 03:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Holundrian

That wasn't 8 month later though that was pretty close to its release. That said that was a fantastic piece of content. Another standout piece was them sitting down with John Bellomy(programmer at Naughty Dog) doing an Uncharted tech retrospective.

you're totally right.. maybe i didn't get around to watching it for a few months because i wanted to 100% the game first. just felt like more time had passed. thx for clarifying!
LinkGray
(03-21-2017, 04:08 AM)
Lmao at that Huber diaper talk on Frame Trap
Omegabalmung9
(03-21-2017, 04:10 AM)

Originally Posted by LinkGray

Just got to that part lol.

We really need some diaper fanart.
Elfforkusu
(03-21-2017, 04:23 AM)
Huber is 100% correct about the Hateno Village music.

And that walk up the hill with the slow fade in...
Holundrian
(03-21-2017, 04:35 AM)
The latest waypoint radio episode has some really good and interesting talk about Nier:Automata without them having even finished all the endings it's just talk mostly limited to route A. Makes me even more psyched if EZA ever gets to a indepth talk about Nier:A.
Scarl
(03-21-2017, 04:50 AM)

Originally Posted by LinkGray

I'll never look at huber the same way again

edit: he has a collection............
Roubjon
(03-21-2017, 04:52 AM)
I'm going to skip the Nier section, just to be safe. I'm 30 hours into the game so I'm worried hearing anyone's impressions who has completed the game might shine some contextual light on things. I hope Ben's championing the game though, it's one of a kind.
RetroMG
(03-21-2017, 04:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Ruruja

Oh god, none of them realising the EASYALLIES L&R in the youtube comment is so infuriating!

I JUST found this, and it's genius. I'm dying laughing.
IdreamofHIME
(03-21-2017, 05:00 AM)
I know the frame rate sucks at times in BOTW, but if that particular lore area is so important to Damiani, then why not explore it in handheld mode? Framerate issues solved.
The game has frozen on me multiple times in big battles, but it just seems to complain that entire areas are unplayable is a tad exaggerated when the game can be played in a mode without​ it.
TheDarkKnight774
(03-21-2017, 05:08 AM)

Originally Posted by IdreamofHIME

I know the frame rate sucks at times in BOTW, but if that particular lore area is so important to Damiani, then why not explore it in handheld mode? Framerate issues solved.
The game has frozen on me multiple times in big battles, but it just seems to complain that entire areas are unplayable is a tad exaggerated when the game can be played in a mode without​ it.

Well he was telling his first time playing the game, how would he know it would have performance at that point. Plus he was playing prior to release so maybe the reports from DF and others hadn't noted the game runs better in handheld mode. Because unless I was told that I wouldn't think that to be the case. I'd say the opposite.

And finally it's still a weak workaround and something that players shouldn't need to doin in the first place.
ElephantShell
(03-21-2017, 05:09 AM)

If the game can be played in two modes and you have to switch (lol like Switch) from one to another mid session just to make an area play better, I mean I guess that's technically a fix but it's still a problem.
Scarl
(03-21-2017, 05:13 AM)

Hm, I don't think handheld mode's a great excuse, really. If someone wants to play it all the way on a TV on a system like the Switch it's reasonable enough for them to expect a game to have no such issues, especially in that really important area. I do feel like Zelda's performance is somewhat exaggerated, but I think people hold Nintendo to a certain standard when it comes to things like framerate. I get that. (Not to say there are no other devs that are held to such standards either, I guess I'm comparing to Bethesda games, really...)

That said, it's an interesting factor! The majority of my time playing Breath of the Wild has been in handheld mode and I can't help but think how this has shaped my perception of the game, as it has been a very pleasant experience to me on a tech level too. I guess that's not how some people want to experience a console game for the majority of their playthrough, but to me there's nothing more immersive than playing a game on a handheld in bed with a nice pair of headphones on. My Switch hasn't seen much TV use yet, though I'm sure that'll change with games like Splatoon.
Titanoboa
(03-21-2017, 05:14 AM)

I think that area is still pretty bad in handheld mode.

As for battles, are people talking about that one Lynel fight? Only time I had any slowdown in a fight, and even then I didn't have any issues with buttons.
IdreamofHIME
(03-21-2017, 05:15 AM)

Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight774

Well he was telling his first time playing the game, how would he know it would have performance at that point. Plus he was playing prior to release so maybe the reports from DF and others hadn't noted the game runs better in handheld mode. Because unless I was told that I wouldn't think that to be the case. I'd say the opposite.

It was more he said he didn't like exploring or spending time in that area because of the performance than his actual disappointed 1st opinion on it.

I also agree it's not he ideal solution, but to grin and bear the framerate rather than play the smooth version doesn't help either.
Ultimadrago
(03-21-2017, 05:20 AM)
Huber on the latest Frametrap: "I JUST DON'T WANT MY SHIT TO CHOP!"

lol. Couldn't say it better.

And consider this my 800th co-sign on the idea of separate Spoilercasts. This should definitely be a thing for games worth discussing at length.
Last edited by Ultimadrago; 03-21-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Elfforkusu
(03-21-2017, 05:20 AM)

It was more he said he didn't like exploring or spending time in that area because of the performance than his actual disappointed 1st opinion on it.

I also agree it's not he ideal solution, but to grin and bear the framerate rather than play the smooth version doesn't help either.

I think BOTW deserves some grief for the framerate (patch this crap, Nintendo), but I do find the continued complaints funny when, IMO, it's still better than the N64 Zeldas in that regard. I quit playing OoT (Ice Cave I think? Thereabouts) because I found it straight-up unplayable. If not for the 3DS rerelease, I'd never have beaten that game!

20 fps sucks, but at least it's locked...
Scarl
(03-21-2017, 05:34 AM)
what the fuck is kyle playing right now
Brian_FETO
(03-21-2017, 05:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Scarl

what the fuck is kyle playing right now

Tail of the Sun, one of the most important games ever created
Scarl
(03-21-2017, 05:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Brian_FETO

Tail of the Sun, one of the most important games ever created

ok I gotta admit I figured THAT out by now, but how have I never heard of this game before

this is the dark souls of breath of the wilds

edit: THE MUSIC IS SO GOOD
Last edited by Scarl; 03-21-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Tankard
(03-21-2017, 06:05 AM)
500 subs to 100k on Youtube, with no stream marathon today i think it might not reach it.
Ultimadrago
(03-21-2017, 06:06 AM)
I just got to the Switch dock part of Frametrap. Huber, Diapers and You. Haha

Edit: "Home-use only!"
Last edited by Ultimadrago; 03-21-2017 at 06:09 AM.
LycanXIII
(03-21-2017, 06:43 AM)
Dang, Kyle just said it doesn't look like LWYTG will return.
LiquidSolid
(03-21-2017, 07:18 AM)

Yeah, I noticed that too. It got really quiet at points. The video also seems a bit washed out.

Originally Posted by Roubjon

I'm going to skip the Nier section, just to be safe. I'm 30 hours into the game so I'm worried hearing anyone's impressions who has completed the game might shine some contextual light on things. I hope Ben's championing the game though, it's one of a kind.

Ben's the only one who has even started it, let alone finished it, so it's safe to watch. They completely avoid spoilers.

I really can't understand how Huber could think Horizon's side quests are dogshit. The way they're set up isn't really that dissimilar to Witcher 3, a game he loves, so it came off to me like he'd been playing lots of BotW and wanted Horizon to be something it isn't. There are some pointless side quests in there (especially early on) but there's also plenty of world building in them that couldn't have done any other way.

Not trying to single out Huber but I feel like we're going to get a lot of "every open world game should be just like BotW" arguments moving forward and IMO that completely misses the point. Not every game has to be the same. If anything, I want to see Horizon 2 move further in Witcher 3's direction, while also improving on what they did right. More side quests in general, more production value put into side quest stories, more world building, unique hunts and so on.

Great show regardless. I'm really looking forward to a NieR discussion whenever the others finally get around to playing it.
Karu
(03-21-2017, 07:25 AM)
I didn't really buy into the world of Horizon as a whole so the side quest did nothing for me on a writing and story level. I don't know what Huber's specific disconnect here was, but yeah... I can see it.
munchie64
(03-21-2017, 07:44 AM)
Oh shit, another four hour Gundam show. Perfect to listen to while I play Zelda.
VanWinkle
(03-21-2017, 08:15 AM)
Man, I disagree with Huber so much regarding side quests in Horizon. Like, I can't understand at all him saying that the NPCs in the side quests have no personality and are just robotic and that the structure is limiting. I found that and the narrative aspect far, FAR beyond the simplicity of Zelda's. These are side stories. They're not "moments of freedom." I'm shocked he feels so highly of Zelda's complete filler side quests (at least from the ones I've played).

I feel like he was just loving Zelda so much that anything that deviated from that formula felt frustrating.
Last edited by VanWinkle; 03-21-2017 at 08:18 AM.
mishakoz
(03-21-2017, 08:33 AM)

Originally Posted by LycanXIII

?
Karu
(03-21-2017, 08:34 AM)

?

Live with Youtube Gaming.

Edit: @ FrameTrap Would I give my favourite games of alltime on a full-on review-scale, 100 out of 100 points?

Bloodborne - Hmmm... Nah.
Mass Effect 2 - lol
Tales of Symphonia - lolol

But I am way more leniant with 5/5. There are a plethora of games I would give that score. Though, I only operate on a purely subjective 5-point scale (1 - I did not like it; 2 - It is OK; 3 - I like it; 4 - I really like it; 5 - It is fantastic).
Last edited by Karu; 03-21-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Wagram
(03-21-2017, 09:00 AM)
I have all the respect in the world for Huber, but I absolutely can't stand the way Zelda handles story. I need barriers to glide narrative in a better fashion.
Mista Koo
(03-21-2017, 09:28 AM)

Originally Posted by LycanXIII

Expected honestly. Hope everyone gets back on their feet.
Hasney
(03-21-2017, 10:55 AM)

Originally Posted by Wagram

I have all the respect in the world for Huber, but I absolutely can't stand the way Zelda handles story. I need barriers to glide narrative in a better fashion.

Nah way. I would be disappointed if they went back to the old way of storytelling. I feel the way it went about the story in a non-linear fashion and exploring to find those moments was fantastic.

Originally Posted by Mista Koo

Expected honestly. Hope everyone gets back on their feet.

Google doesn't understand that the brand YouTube has on weight as people are there for the creators, not them. If YouTube shut down tomorrow, DailyMotion or whoever would just replace them.
Auctopus
Banned
(03-21-2017, 11:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Karu

I didn't really buy into the world of Horizon as a whole so the side quest did nothing for me on a writing and story level. I don't know what Huber's specific disconnect here was, but yeah... I can see it.

Yeh, I mentioned it in the OT but during my playthrough I was thinking how I should be more invested than I was. The world just didn't feel as alive as some other more notable open-world games. I haven't finished them all yet either but I've played about 5-6 side quests and every single one has been "go to area, highlight track, kill enemy at the end of track". It's like satire of detective mode questing almost.
wapplew
(03-21-2017, 11:09 AM)

Originally Posted by VanWinkle

Man, I disagree with Huber so much regarding side quests in Horizon. Like, I can't understand at all him saying that the NPCs in the side quests have no personality and are just robotic and that the structure is limiting. I found that and the narrative aspect far, FAR beyond the simplicity of Zelda's. These are side stories. They're not "moments of freedom." I'm shocked he feels so highly of Zelda's complete filler side quests (at least from the ones I've played).

I feel like he was just loving Zelda so much that anything that deviated from that formula felt frustrating.

That Ben disagreement look, but I understand where Huber comes from.
He did those side quest structure way too many times, if you not interested on the side story, it can be tedious.

Hope Ben will talk to him after he finish the game, maybe spoilercast or something.
Last edited by wapplew; 03-21-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Mista Koo
(03-21-2017, 11:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Hasney

Google doesn't understand that the brand YouTube has on weight as people are there for the creators, not them. If YouTube shut down tomorrow, DailyMotion or whoever would just replace them.

I think they understand. The main goal of that show is to promote YouTube Gaming since it's not even remotely well known.
But I mean it's a live show on YouTube that they aren't advertising at all. And they're not even utilizing YouTube features (no timestamps or anything like that for later viewing).
Primethius
(03-21-2017, 12:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Wagram

Most of Zelda's side quests are so boring and filler esque (I've come across maybe a couple actually interesting ones worth doing so far in my 50+ hours). Horizon doesn't have great underlying design either but at least it pairs a narrative with combat encounters (the latter at which the game excels in).

More than half of my side quest log in Zelda consists: get 10 of X item, find me this specific weapon, go clear out this area of enemies.

And while I certainly don't mind that (it's not as if in Horizon, your not just killing dinos/humans), in Zelda it feels like there's not much in the way of motivation to do them. Some interesting NPC dialogue but that's about it. The rewards usually are pretty terrible and since BotW is all about freedom, not much content is actually gated behind anything (encounters, areas or otherwise). They feel a lot like MMO quests actually where they serve a better purpose as indicators of useful content you should check out rather than meaningful side content in and of itself.

I think Witcher 3 remains the king of both open world​ design and side content and struck the best balance. In that game, the reward for exploration was not just beautiful vistas, or hunting dinos or finding yet another korok seed, but typically very well written side quests and side quest chains that were rewarding to do as part of that world, with the material rewards and visual visual being extras.

The tower out of nowhere sidequest in TW3 I think is a great example of that.

Edit: It also doesn't help that BotW's story is trash and told extremely poorly, so it relies solely on the strength and charm of its NPC cast.
Last edited by Primethius; 03-21-2017 at 12:21 PM.