• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

shingi70
Member
(04-21-2017, 03:53 PM)
shingi70's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

BC: Marvel's plan for comic shops were only a hit with one group.

I'm shocked no one wants to dress like a Nazi.
caliph95
Member
(04-21-2017, 03:54 PM)
caliph95's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

BC: Marvel's plan for comic shops were only a hit with one group.

I get why they did that but it's so tone deaf and is obvious how people will react to that. Marvel should fire it's marketing team
Kssio_Aug
Member
(04-21-2017, 03:54 PM)
Kssio_Aug's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lashley

I loved Secret Empire

Am I the only one?

Didn't read it myself, but I've seen some people saying it's actually very good.

Messing up with the essential of Captain America is worrisome though. HOWEVER, I think Marvel writers will find a way to twist this sooner or later. I really doubt they would want to pemanently destroy Steve's image, given how important the chracters is.

Edit:
But there's that. So who knows! lmao
Maybe Marvel staff is going crazy.

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

BC: Marvel's plan for comic shops were only a hit with one group.

Last edited by Kssio_Aug; 04-21-2017 at 04:00 PM.
RepairmanJack
Member
(04-21-2017, 03:56 PM)
RepairmanJack's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

BC: Marvel's plan for comic shops were only a hit with one group.

It's like Marvel can literally not make a decision unless it's the worst possible one available.
my name is ed
Member
(04-21-2017, 03:56 PM)
my name is ed's Avatar

Originally Posted by BenjaminBirdie

People "upset" about this story must have literally never read a comic book before.

This is a stupid comment and you should do better
Father_Brain
Samus made me a Widower :(
(04-21-2017, 03:57 PM)
Father_Brain's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElNarez

it's like they're taking every option on the table to walk that shit back and throwing them all away

what the fuck is wrong with them

what are they doing

at this point they know for a fact that most people hate their shitty fucking stunt

evidently, DC is much more effective at doing shitty stunts that disrespect their most beloved IP
mreddie
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:02 PM)
mreddie's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

BC: Marvel's plan for comic shops were only a hit with one group.

If #0 and #1 bombs, yeah, you need to build that goodwill again because while it is 3 tweets, I get the feeling the majority is like fuck this.

The thing is, I like when a face turns heel but I haven't picked up Empire because CW2 burned me bad.
Poodlestrike
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:04 PM)
Poodlestrike's Avatar

Originally Posted by Father_Brain

evidently, DC is much more effective at doing shitty stunts that disrespect their most beloved IP

In the sense that the story is good and doesn't carry a heady mix of terrible real-world implications, yeah.
BenjaminBirdie
(04-21-2017, 04:05 PM)
BenjaminBirdie's Avatar

Originally Posted by my name is ed

This is a stupid comment and you should do better

How so? There's no way this story isn't going to end up with all of being erased. It literally started with a cosmic cube. It will have no ramifications on any of these characters. Pretend it doesn't exist because seven months from now it will be like it never did.

There are so many other, wildly more satisfying comics to enjoy.
Father_Brain
Samus made me a Widower :(
(04-21-2017, 04:05 PM)
Father_Brain's Avatar

Originally Posted by Poodlestrike

In the sense that the story is good and doesn't carry a heady mix of terrible real-world implications, yeah.

You're half right, at least!
OmegaX
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:06 PM)
OmegaX's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

BC: Marvel's plan for comic shops were only a hit with one group.

LOL
2017 it's the year mega corporations are competing over which one fucks up worse.
BenjaminBirdie
(04-21-2017, 04:10 PM)
BenjaminBirdie's Avatar
ALSO, I'm on record for being like horrifically offended by Civil War II: The Oath so don't play that I'm taking this sort of thing lightly.

It's just, the horse is out of the barn. Enjoy it for the Acuna art (which is perfect) or just read good comics instead.
Poodlestrike
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:10 PM)
Poodlestrike's Avatar

Originally Posted by BenjaminBirdie

How so? There's no way this story isn't going to end up with all of being erased. It literally started with a cosmic cube. It will have no ramifications on any of these characters. Pretend it doesn't exist because seven months from now it will be like it never did.

There are so many other, wildly more satisfying comics to enjoy.

I mean, like, best case scenario, sure. But in the mean time it's SUPER FUCKED UP in a bunch of ways, so maybe let people be angry about that?

Originally Posted by Father_Brain

You're half right, at least!

P. sure I'm whole right, friend.
LordOfLore
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:11 PM)
LordOfLore's Avatar

Originally Posted by BenjaminBirdie

ALSO, I'm on record for being like horrifically offended by Civil War II: The Oath so don't play that I'm taking this sort of thing lightly.

It's just, the horse is out of the barn. Enjoy it for the Acuna art (which is perfect) or just read good comics instead.

What's the art schedule for the next issues? It was a new artist on each, right?
BenjaminBirdie
(04-21-2017, 04:16 PM)
BenjaminBirdie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Poodlestrike

I mean, like, best case scenario, sure. But in the mean time it's SUPER FUCKED UP in a bunch of ways, so maybe let people be angry about that?

Hey, go ahead. I'm not stopping them.

But if you can only expend a certain number of words each day (and you can, it's simple math), wouldn't you rather spend them in promotion of something worthwhile and not pointing out the obvious shortcomings of a creative enterprise that can not and will not be changed and will mean absolutely nothing this time next year?

Unless we're talking about X-Men Gold and it's being reviewed by a writer of such elephantine brilliance that those words simply must be expended and shared with the world.
BenjaminBirdie
(04-21-2017, 04:17 PM)
BenjaminBirdie's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

What's the art schedule for the next issues? It was a new artist on each, right?

It's #0, so Acuna would be out anyway. That's usually how these things work at least.
Zombine
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:19 PM)
Zombine's Avatar
I like X-Men: Blue.
caliph95
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:20 PM)
caliph95's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zombine

I like X-Men: Blue.

It's better than Gold even ignoring the racist elephant
Poodlestrike
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:20 PM)
Poodlestrike's Avatar

Originally Posted by BenjaminBirdie

Hey, go ahead. I'm not stopping them.

But if you can only expend a certain number of words each day (and you can, it's simple math), wouldn't you rather spend them in promotion of something worthwhile and not pointing out the obvious shortcomings of a creative enterprise that can not and will not be changed and will mean absolutely nothing this time next year?

Unless we're talking about X-Men Gold and it's being reviewed by a writer of such elephantine brilliance that those words simply must be expended and shared with the world.

Originally Posted by BenjaminBirdie

I thought it was fine. Gorgeously rendered, of course. People "upset" about this story must have literally never read a comic book before.

Putting "upset" in quotes and alleging that anybody angry about it must not have read a comic does sorta seem like you're telling people that they have no right to be "upset" tho.
Roland_Gunner
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:22 PM)

Originally Posted by BenjaminBirdie

Hey, go ahead. I'm not stopping them.

But if you can only expend a certain number of words each day (and you can, it's simple math), wouldn't you rather spend them in promotion of something worthwhile and not pointing out the obvious shortcomings of a creative enterprise that can not and will not be changed and will mean absolutely nothing this time next year?

Unless we're talking about X-Men Gold and it's being reviewed by a writer of such elephantine brilliance that those words simply must be expended and shared with the world.

Pointing out that other people may not want to spend $50+ on something that will mean absolutely nothing in a year seems a worthwhile enterprise.
shingi70
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:24 PM)
shingi70's Avatar
So does outhousers have a marvel fuck up counter.
caliph95
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:25 PM)
caliph95's Avatar

Originally Posted by shingi70

So does outhousers have a marvel fuck up counter.

X-men gold was only the beginning
Freezasaurus
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:26 PM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

How many issues did the Betty and Veronica book even get?

Originally Posted by Zombine

Thrrrrrrrrrrrre...two?

lmao at anyone that thought Hughes was going to be able to keep a monthly schedule.
BenjaminBirdie
(04-21-2017, 04:29 PM)
BenjaminBirdie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Poodlestrike

Putting "upset" in quotes and alleging that anybody angry about it must not have read a comic does sorta seem like you're telling people that they have no right to be "upset" tho.

lol i guess it does at that

Originally Posted by Roland_Gunner

Pointing out that other people may not want to spend $50+ on something that will mean absolutely nothing in a year seems a worthwhile enterprise.

wait is that what i was doing or what y'all are doing
BKatastrophe
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:32 PM)
BKatastrophe's Avatar

Originally Posted by BenjaminBirdie

Hey, go ahead. I'm not stopping them.

But if you can only expend a certain number of words each day (and you can, it's simple math), wouldn't you rather spend them in promotion of something worthwhile and not pointing out the obvious shortcomings of a creative enterprise that can not and will not be changed and will mean absolutely nothing this time next year?

Unless we're talking about X-Men Gold and it's being reviewed by a writer of such elephantine brilliance that those words simply must be expended and shared with the world.

Yeah the bolded is mine now. It's too good.
shingi70
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:32 PM)
shingi70's Avatar
I didn't always go on fanboy rants about comic books when talking to friends. Usually I go on self indlugent dissuasion when comics come up. But I was talking to a coworker who's really on the edgy type who loves grim dark shit, and when talking about comics he said in his opinion D.C. Comics should always be dark. When he uttered that something in side me broke and I went on a big ass rant about how that's only Zack Snyder and the comics D.C. Has always been pretty light hearted till the 2000s, at least in comparison to marvel.

whats a good non brubaker Captain America run. I was thinking of reading the roger stern stuff.
Donniewahlberg
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:33 PM)
Donniewahlberg's Avatar

Originally Posted by JordanDeGroot

Got round to the first issue of Godshaper last night and well.......its something, I think a few more rereads are definitely required, theres so much world building and crazyness thrown at you in the issue I couldn't really say whether I like it or not yet. I will say that bud and his love of hats is pretty damn cute though.

I was looking for something a bit more light hearted and in an adventure style as a change from what I've been reading recently and from reading the recommendations a few pages back I think Bandette could definitely be it. Comic GAF saves the day again.

Thanks for the thoughts on Godshaper. The Spire is very similar in the world building aspects and not everything about how things work is revealed immediately, but I did find in that book there was a really clear emotional through line with the characters that kept everything in focus and compelling from the start, while Spurrier weaved the weird world in and out issue to issue, not to mention the plot he holds back intentionally. So I'm not surprised what Godshaper maybe kicks off similarly, if this is a fair comparison?

That Bandette page did look hilarious haha
Last edited by Donniewahlberg; 04-21-2017 at 04:35 PM.
LordOfLore
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:37 PM)
LordOfLore's Avatar
Star-Lord's editor talked.
DeathoftheEndless
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:37 PM)
DeathoftheEndless's Avatar
Secret Empire #0 was pretty great. The Avengers are really being put on their heels in this one. The controversy over the book is hilarious to me. Its as if there haven't been a million mind-controlled hero turns into a villain stories before. Fucking marks.
RepairmanJack
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:37 PM)
RepairmanJack's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zombine

I like X-Men: Blue.

Something about the art and first part in the plane really bothered me and I haven't even made it all the way through it I don't think.
BKatastrophe
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:39 PM)
BKatastrophe's Avatar

Originally Posted by shingi70

I didn't always go on fanboy rants about comic books when talking to friends. Usually I go on self indlugent dissuasion when comics come up. But I was talking to a coworker who's really on the edgy type who loves grim dark shit, and when talking about comics he said in his opinion D.C. Comics should always be dark. When he uttered that something in side me broke and I went on a big ass rant about how that's only Zack Snyder and the comics D.C. Has always been pretty light hearted till the 2000s, at least in comparison to marvel.

whats a good non brubaker Captain America run. I was thinking of reading the roger stern stuff.

DC has been both very dark and light. They've been a healthy combo of both. I would have just ignored the dude. I rarely bring up comics at work and if I do it's for just a short sentence of "oh well this happened once" and that's it.

People at my job don't share my hobbies.

Originally Posted by DeathoftheEndless

Secret Empire #0 was pretty great. The Avengers are really being put on their heels in this one. The controversy over the book is hilarious to me. Its as if there haven't been a million mind-controlled hero turns into a villain stories before. Fucking marks.

The difference is that Cap isn't mind-controlled. He IS a Hydra agent. Universal continuity has been rewritten.
jurgen
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:39 PM)
jurgen's Avatar

Originally Posted by shingi70

whats a good non brubaker Captain America run. I was thinking of reading the roger stern stuff.

I honestly enjoyed most of Remender's. The first half is pulpy scifi and it works really well.

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

Star-Lord's editor talked.

Wasp cancellation incoming then, I take it.
MG310
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:40 PM)
MG310's Avatar
This is going to get weird. Free sketch to the first 10 people though.

Last edited by MG310; 04-21-2017 at 04:46 PM.
shingi70
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:41 PM)
shingi70's Avatar

Originally Posted by jurgen

I honestly enjoyed most of Remender's. The first half is pulpy scifi and it works really well.



Wasp cancellation incoming then, I take it.


Ive read that as well.
BenjaminBirdie
(04-21-2017, 04:46 PM)
BenjaminBirdie's Avatar

Originally Posted by MG310

This is going to get weird.

At least he made it to the US
mreddie
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:48 PM)
mreddie's Avatar

Originally Posted by jurgen

Wasp cancellation incoming then, I take it.

Silence! Nevermind, it got buried with the IvX shit.

Unless it pulls a Hellcat.
BenjaminBirdie
(04-21-2017, 04:48 PM)
BenjaminBirdie's Avatar

Originally Posted by mreddie

Silence! Nevermind, it got buried with the IvX shit

I think Star Lord is a harder sell to the Scholastic crowd but it doesn't explain Nova.
DeathoftheEndless
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:50 PM)
DeathoftheEndless's Avatar

Originally Posted by BKatastrophe

The difference is that Cap isn't mind-controlled. He IS a Hydra agent. Universal continuity has been rewritten.

So you think it'll never be changed back then? Lol ok.
LordOfLore
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:50 PM)
LordOfLore's Avatar

Originally Posted by BenjaminBirdie

I think Star Lord is a harder sell to the Scholastic crowd but it doesn't explain Nova.

Young Boy comics are maybe hard to sell to them? Can't recall if Miles-Man is sold with them.
shingi70
Member
(04-21-2017, 04:52 PM)
shingi70's Avatar

Originally Posted by BKatastrophe

DC has been both very dark and light. They've been a healthy combo of both. I would have just ignored the dude. I rarely bring up comics at work and if I do it's for just a short sentence of "oh well this happened once" and that's it.

People at my job don't share my hobbies.

There's quite a few people who share my hobbies at my job. He doesn't have many friends at work and he's cool enough just very socially awkward. He does make me give him the side eye every so often complaining about femnazis and sjws tuning his comics, games and anime.

He also said he didn't stop being a fan of Hulk Hogan for the Racism, but instead because he screwed up TNA. Midnight you were both black and me and a another co worker just stared for a second.
Messi
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:01 PM)
Messi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

lmao at anyone that thought Hughes was going to be able to keep a monthly schedule.

Suppose it's easier to go to a con and do $1000 single character commissions
Donniewahlberg
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:05 PM)
Donniewahlberg's Avatar

Originally Posted by BenjaminBirdie

I think Star Lord is a harder sell to the Scholastic crowd but it doesn't explain Nova.

"For every copy of Star Lord vol 1, Chip will pack in a volume of Kaptara"
shingi70
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:05 PM)
shingi70's Avatar
Why doesn't Marvel just call books mini and Maxi series. Seems like alot of their bad PR about cancellations would be easier if they just said stuff like Kingpin or Star Lord were limited series.
caliph95
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:07 PM)
caliph95's Avatar

Originally Posted by shingi70

Why doesn't Marvel just call books mini and Maxi series. Seems like alot of their bad PR about cancellations would be easier if they just said stuff like Kingpin or Star Lord were limited series.

Something about minis not selling well someone mentioned on the thread so they don't announce it.
caliph95
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:09 PM)
caliph95's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donniewahlberg

"For every copy of Star Lord vol 1, Chip will pack in a volume of Kaptara"

who.gif
Donniewahlberg
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:17 PM)
Donniewahlberg's Avatar

Originally Posted by caliph95

who.gif

Wait lol, it is Chip Zdarsky that wrote Star Lord right? That's what I thought anyway
LordOfLore
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:18 PM)
LordOfLore's Avatar
Oh shit, Leviathan is active again.
caliph95
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:20 PM)
caliph95's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donniewahlberg

Wait lol, it is Chip Zdarsky that wrote Star Lord right? That's what I thought anyway

No i mean that will be peoples reaction to Kaptara
Ross61
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:21 PM)
Ross61's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

Oh shit, Leviathan is active again.

JRJR got mixed feeling from me since the interview yesterday. And I usually cape for him, but what he said about diversity and saying "transgenders" left a bad taste in my mouth. Especially after fucking Didio and Capullo had some tactful and honest answers to diversity and representation in comics.
Donniewahlberg
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:23 PM)
Donniewahlberg's Avatar

Originally Posted by caliph95

No i mean that will be peoples reaction to Kaptara

Damn it lol, sorry.

Thread Tools