• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Bicycle age : Page 301
Teggy
Member
(04-17-2017, 08:54 AM)
Teggy's Avatar
Back from the Midnight Marathon ride. Just to make things interesting, some rain was added to the forecast this evening. There was a lot of scurrying for jackets and vests, but it didn't last long. I stayed in shorts and jersey for the rest of the ride and it was fine. What was not fine was the rear flat I got about 3 miles into the ride. Flats tend to happen to me at really inopportune times. This meant most everyone passed me so the ride to the start was pretty lonely. I made it to the start pretty much right at midnight and the ride back was much better. Tons of riders the whole way and an easier ride, which didn't hurt. This is only the 5th year they've done this and they've managed to get help from the police and a huge crowd of riders.

Night riding was very cool, I enjoyed it. But I really need riding friends :(

Finish line:

Incognito
Troll
(04-17-2017, 01:23 PM)
Incognito's Avatar
im mentally and physically pooped after finishing the updated trainer road base and build plans. and i only did part II of SSB HV and part I of general build HV of the new versions. huge weekly 200+ TSS upgrades over the previous versions. im literally limping into recovery week.
outunderthestars
Attracted to bright lights
(04-17-2017, 03:24 PM)
outunderthestars's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teggy

Back from the Midnight Marathon ride. Just to make things interesting, some rain was added to the forecast this evening. There was a lot of scurrying for jackets and vests, but it didn't last long. I stayed in shorts and jersey for the rest of the ride and it was fine. What was not fine was the rear flat I got about 3 miles into the ride. Flats tend to happen to me at really inopportune times. This meant most everyone passed me so the ride to the start was pretty lonely. I made it to the start pretty much right at midnight and the ride back was much better. Tons of riders the whole way and an easier ride, which didn't hurt. This is only the 5th year they've done this and they've managed to get help from the police and a huge crowd of riders.

Night riding was very cool, I enjoyed it. But I really need riding friends :(

Finish line:


Night riding can be really fun, just make sure to have a good set of lights, and clothing with some reflective elements as well.


What was the cause of your flat? What psi do you run your tires?
Teggy
Member
(04-17-2017, 04:26 PM)
Teggy's Avatar

Originally Posted by outunderthestars

Night riding can be really fun, just make sure to have a good set of lights, and clothing with some reflective elements as well.


What was the cause of your flat? What psi do you run your tires?

I've been running right around 100 psi on 25mm tires. I didn't see anything in particular that caused the flat but there was a lot of grit on the road loosened up by the rain so there could have been something in there. I'll take a closer look at the tire today in better light.
DJ Lushious
Member
(04-17-2017, 05:11 PM)
DJ Lushious's Avatar
Bike-GAF, I'm thinking it's finally time to upgrade from my 4-year old Trek 1.2. I've ridden enough that I know it's not just a passing hobby, so I think it's time for a proper upgrade.

So, my big question is, do I buy new or used?

Obviously used saves a lot of money and, since my budget is ~$2000 USD, any way I can stretch those dimes I'd love to. Though new is, well, new. No worries about part life or how the bicycle was treated.
outunderthestars
Attracted to bright lights
(04-17-2017, 05:57 PM)
outunderthestars's Avatar

Originally Posted by DJ Lushious

Bike-GAF, I'm thinking it's finally time to upgrade from my 4-year old Trek 1.2. I've ridden enough that I know it's not just a passing hobby, so I think it's time for a proper upgrade.

So, my big question is, do I buy new or used?

Obviously used saves a lot of money and, since my budget is ~$2000 USD, any way I can stretch those dimes I'd love to. Though new is, well, new. No worries about part life or how the bicycle was treated.

Check with local shops. You can usually find something kicking around there or is an older model.

Originally Posted by Teggy

I've been running right around 100 psi on 25mm tires. I didn't see anything in particular that caused the flat but there was a lot of grit on the road loosened up by the rain so there could have been something in there. I'll take a closer look at the tire today in better light.

Check the tube and the tire casing to find where/what happened. :)
Teggy
Member
(04-17-2017, 08:05 PM)
Teggy's Avatar
So this is the ride I'm going to do this weekend:
http://www.overlandbasecamp.cc/diverged-ride-2017/

Time to get a tiny taste of what you MTBers like so much. I'm hoping to mix in these kinds of rides with road rides this season.
Addnan
Member
(04-17-2017, 09:30 PM)
The Strava estimated power is beyond fraud. How did they work this out... Now I know estimated power is not accurate but same track, higher average speed. How do they work out the power difference..

1. 60.6km at 26.3km/h = 238w average power



2. 54.6km at 27.3km/h = 218w average power.
T8SC
Junior Member
(04-17-2017, 09:38 PM)
T8SC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Addnan

The Strava estimated power is beyond fraud. How did they work this out... Now I know estimated power is not accurate but same track, higher average speed. How do they work out the power difference..

1. 60.6km at 26.3km/h = 238w average power



2. 54.6km at 27.3km/h = 218w average power.

Does it take elevation into the equation? There's 300m difference between the two, even though its the same course.
Addnan
Member
(04-17-2017, 09:41 PM)
Huh, good point. Why did my Garmin get the elevation so different.
HTupolev
Member
(04-17-2017, 09:55 PM)
HTupolev's Avatar

Originally Posted by Addnan

Huh, good point. Why did my Garmin get the elevation so different.

Because capturing elevation data is hard.
teepo
Member
(04-17-2017, 10:35 PM)
teepo's Avatar
garmin's use a barometer altimeter while strava uses geological surveys.

in short, use the garmin.
outunderthestars
Attracted to bright lights
(04-17-2017, 11:00 PM)
outunderthestars's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teggy

So this is the ride I'm going to do this weekend:
http://www.overlandbasecamp.cc/diverged-ride-2017/

Time to get a tiny taste of what you MTBers like so much. I'm hoping to mix in these kinds of rides with road rides this season.

That ride sounds like a blast. :D I just bought a Specialized AWOL that would be so happy on a ride like that.


Teggy
Member
(04-17-2017, 11:23 PM)
Teggy's Avatar

Originally Posted by outunderthestars

That ride sounds like a blast. :D I just bought a Specialized AWOL that would be so happy on a ride like that.



That looks like a fun bike. Should put some pedals on tho, would work better ;)
Rapier
A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
(04-17-2017, 11:24 PM)
Rapier's Avatar
Hello!

Does anyone in Canada (GTA) know where to buy Specialized bikes?

I'm looking at the Rockhopper 29 in particular.
TarpitCarnivore
Member
(04-18-2017, 12:06 AM)
TarpitCarnivore's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teggy

So this is the ride I'm going to do this weekend:
http://www.overlandbasecamp.cc/diverged-ride-2017/

Time to get a tiny taste of what you MTBers like so much. I'm hoping to mix in these kinds of rides with road rides this season.

I've never heard of a no drop fondo, interesting.
Teggy
Member
(04-18-2017, 12:13 AM)
Teggy's Avatar

Originally Posted by TarpitCarnivore

I've never heard of a no drop fondo, interesting.

It's a smaller event and longest route is less than 50 miles. I'm actually curious to see how they even provide a route through the woods for people who do it alone. I assume it doesn't show up on GPS.
outunderthestars
Attracted to bright lights
(04-18-2017, 02:02 AM)
outunderthestars's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teggy

That looks like a fun bike. Should put some pedals on tho, would work better ;)

Indeed. That is just a good photo of the model I could find online.

I will throw the same pedals that go on all of my bikes: MKS Lambda's



Originally Posted by Rapier

Hello!

Does anyone in Canada (GTA) know where to buy Specialized bikes?

I'm looking at the Rockhopper 29 in particular.

Specialized has a dealer locator on their site:

Bike Depot

Wheels Of Bloor

Cycle Solutions


I am also a Specialized dealer, happy to offer any insight/advice. :)
Last edited by outunderthestars; 04-18-2017 at 02:05 AM.
jakonovski
Member
(04-18-2017, 08:48 PM)
jakonovski's Avatar
I'm supposed to go on a 200km road ride this Saturday, but the forecast has it pissing down. I'm not sure I have the kit to survive a 10h ride with heavy rain at 5C temperature.
Karish
Member
(04-18-2017, 11:53 PM)
Karish's Avatar
Got this beauty on craigslist this weekend. Guy built it this February but is moving to Germany. Critical Cycles Harper. $125. May not be my end-all bike but its enough to get me back on track (pun intended).

Last edited by Karish; 04-18-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Teggy
Member
(04-20-2017, 05:37 AM)
Teggy's Avatar
I bought some replacement disc brake pads but for some reason it never crossed my mind there would only be one set in the package XD
Lonely1
Junior Member
(04-21-2017, 05:39 AM)
Lonely1's Avatar
As the title says, I'm traveling to the old continent and I have decided to take my bike with me. I was hoping that there wouldn't be many issues, as my bike is light and foldable. But reading some articles, some airlines will charge extra for (any?) bicycle!? Even if it fits inside my (big) trunk? At most I was expecting a surcharge for weight.

Does any of you fine folks have experience with this?
HTupolev
Member
(04-21-2017, 09:00 AM)
HTupolev's Avatar
frontieruk
(04-21-2017, 04:56 PM)
frontieruk's Avatar

Originally Posted by HTupolev


.
Teggy
Member
(04-21-2017, 07:39 PM)
Teggy's Avatar
My ride got postponed 2 weeks because the trails got too wet. Boo.
Teggy
Member
(04-22-2017, 06:19 PM)
Teggy's Avatar
Incredibly sad that some very significant cyclists have killed recently in some very mundane traffic accidents. This sport is unfortunately more dangerous than it should be

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/22/sport/...inkId=36781411
teepo
Member
(04-22-2017, 07:56 PM)
teepo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teggy

Incredibly sad that some very significant cyclists have killed recently in some very mundane traffic accidents. This sport is unfortunately more dangerous than it should be

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/22/sport/...inkId=36781411

https://twitter.com/MicheleScarponi/...38366674391040

found this on the reddit thread :(
motherxwolf
Member
(04-22-2017, 09:29 PM)
motherxwolf's Avatar
Had to sell my MTN and hybrid bike because in relocating to Pittsburgh, im looking at the giant contend 3, you guys think that would be a good commuter bike? Since im finally moving to a city instead of a small suburb I was hoping to use a bicycle around town instead of a car
frontieruk
(04-22-2017, 10:14 PM)
frontieruk's Avatar

Originally Posted by motherxwolf

Had to sell my MTN and hybrid bike because in relocating to Pittsburgh, im looking at the giant contend 3, you guys think that would be a good commuter bike? Since im finally moving to a city instead of a small suburb I was hoping to use a bicycle around town instead of a car

Solid bike, i have the Claris chainset on my cyclo-cross commute/pub bike and though not a smooth as my roadie the gear range is wide enough to do my daily commute on and vary it with different grade hills etc though the jumps between some cogs are a bit large but you adapt quickly.

My old hybrid had the same wheelset and though a bit heavy they felt bomb proof.
jakonovski
Member
(04-22-2017, 10:42 PM)
jakonovski's Avatar
200k of rain, sleet and hail done. I didn't think it possible to suffer so much.
Addnan
Member
(04-23-2017, 01:06 AM)

Originally Posted by motherxwolf

Had to sell my MTN and hybrid bike because in relocating to Pittsburgh, im looking at the giant contend 3, you guys think that would be a good commuter bike? Since im finally moving to a city instead of a small suburb I was hoping to use a bicycle around town instead of a car


i would like to stretch to the sora spec if possible. claris is clunky as fuck. you would probably want some mudguards, so check if there are mounts or you would need to use something more like the sks raceblade, they are ok but proper guards are better. also rack mounts if you would need luggage.
Laekon
Member
(04-23-2017, 03:59 AM)

Originally Posted by motherxwolf

Had to sell my MTN and hybrid bike because in relocating to Pittsburgh, im looking at the giant contend 3, you guys think that would be a good commuter bike? Since im finally moving to a city instead of a small suburb I was hoping to use a bicycle around town instead of a car

How far is your commute? I think a good quality hybrid would be better.
Mascot
Member
(04-23-2017, 07:13 AM)
Mascot's Avatar

Originally Posted by jakonovski

200k of rain, sleet and hail done. I didn't think it possible to suffer so much.

Jakonovski, heads up - I think PT has hacked your account.

I'm relatively injury-free now after many months of recuperation and careful training. It's been a long road but I managed a few actual outdoor rides in the past couple of weeks with only minor reactions. Yay. It's so nice going from this...



...to this...



Fresh air! Daylight!
jakonovski
Member
(04-23-2017, 01:37 PM)
jakonovski's Avatar
It goes beyond just my account. I spent several hours last night thinking why anyone would voluntarily do something like this.

Also I'm jelly of your spring. We have nothing but cold misery. Trees aren't even leafing out.
Psychotext
Member
(04-23-2017, 01:42 PM)
Psychotext's Avatar

Originally Posted by jakonovski

It goes beyond just my account. I spent several hours last night thinking why anyone would voluntarily do something like this.

Welcome to the party pal. \o/
frontieruk
(04-23-2017, 02:12 PM)
frontieruk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Addnan

i would like to stretch to the sora spec if possible. claris is clunky as fuck. you would probably want some mudguards, so check if there are mounts or you would need to use something more like the sks raceblade, they are ok but proper guards are better. also rack mounts if you would need luggage.

What's clunky to you may be fine within someone else's expectations, he should go take it for a test ride see how he feels about the gearing and gear selection, the worst I've experienced with my claris is I wish I had my 105 selection just for the transitional jumps between some of the gear ranges, not because oh its sooooo much more silky smooth on my legs for marginal gains.

I'd agree with you on a hybrid for city commuting the more upright position gives you a better view of the traffic.

Oh and wb mascot
Mascot
Member
(04-23-2017, 04:12 PM)
Mascot's Avatar

Originally Posted by frontieruk

Oh and wb mascot

Thanks buddy. Managed another dirty 25 this morning. I've been kidding myself that I haven't been missing the bike time. Feels damn good to be back in the saddle.
T8SC
Junior Member
(04-23-2017, 05:29 PM)
T8SC's Avatar
You've had the king, now here's the queen of the passes. (According to the 100 Climbs book).



Wrynose Pass.
jakonovski
Member
(04-23-2017, 08:54 PM)
jakonovski's Avatar

Originally Posted by Psychotext

Welcome to the party pal. \o/

A brevet to nowhere and back is a bit like a hostage crisis in Nakatomi Plaza. No point in giving up because the only way back is to keep pedaling.
Mascot
Member
(04-23-2017, 09:16 PM)
Mascot's Avatar

Originally Posted by jakonovski

A brevet to nowhere and back is a bit like a hostage crisis in Nakatomi Plaza. No point in giving up because the only way back is to keep pedaling.

That was one hell of an effort. Any photos?
TarpitCarnivore
Member
(04-23-2017, 10:02 PM)
TarpitCarnivore's Avatar

Originally Posted by jakonovski

200k of rain, sleet and hail done. I didn't think it possible to suffer so much.

The hell man?
jakonovski
Member
(04-23-2017, 10:43 PM)
jakonovski's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mascot

That was one hell of an effort. Any photos?

Sadly no. By the time I thought of taking photos my phone was almost dead and I prioritised getting the ride on Strava.

Originally Posted by TarpitCarnivore

The hell man?

Even Finnish spring weather can't stop road rides! But to be fair right now 200 kilometres is the longest I can go. Legs would last longer but core muscles and contact points don't.
Teggy
Member
(04-23-2017, 11:21 PM)
Teggy's Avatar
The cyclist's nemesis

TarpitCarnivore
Member
(04-24-2017, 12:11 AM)
TarpitCarnivore's Avatar

Originally Posted by jakonovski


Even Finnish spring weather can't stop road rides! But to be fair right now 200 kilometres is the longest I can go. Legs would last longer but core muscles and contact points don't.

I did a little more than 200km last year and by the final 5-10 it was a constant shuffling to be comfortable.
HTupolev
Member
(04-24-2017, 04:58 AM)
HTupolev's Avatar
Laekon
Member
(04-24-2017, 05:05 AM)

Originally Posted by HTupolev

Nice pic. It looks similar to the east side of the Sierras in California.
outunderthestars
Attracted to bright lights
(04-24-2017, 02:16 PM)
outunderthestars's Avatar

Originally Posted by HTupolev

Beautiful bike! What is it? :)
Mascot
Member
(04-24-2017, 02:26 PM)
Mascot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teggy

The cyclist's nemesis

I have to navigate a level crossing to and from my local woods if I take in the coast path, and because it's the main Cardiff-Bristol line it's pretty busy. If trains are close together then the barrier can stay down for around ten or fifteen minutes to let more than one pass. This feels like an absolute age.
Addnan
Member
(04-24-2017, 02:44 PM)

Originally Posted by HTupolev

Reminds me of last summer riding around Upper Austria =( want to go back.
The Lamonster
Member
(04-24-2017, 03:59 PM)
The Lamonster's Avatar
Just bought my first bicycle this weekend, at 33 years old! I got a 2017 Giant Contend SL Disc 1. I did a ton of research on bikes and cycling itself, and felt prepared to make a large investment in something that would be nice and last me a long time. I have high-end gear too for a beginner haha. I hadn't sat on a bike since I was probably 14 years old, and that was a mountain bike so this is all new territory for me!

I took it out with a friend yesterday for a few miles on a paved trail around a lake. As a beginner, the only thing I struggled with was mounting and dismounting the first few times. My gears were also clicking oddly at first, so I set everything to easiest and it seemed to reset them. Obviously I have a lot more to learn. It was a great experience, though. I'm so happy to be a part of this world now.

I have a few questions, though:

1. How can I tell what size tires my rims can accommodate? Nothing helpful on Giant's website. I want something more rugged so I can do the Katy Trail which is gravel.

2. My butt bones are sore today. My bike came with a lower-end seat ($50 Giant Contact Forward), and I noticed I could upgrade to a nicer version ($175 Giant Contact SLR Forward). I'd have no problem spending the money if it meant more comfort. However, maybe my posture would be better off with a neutral or upright seat. How can I tell? I'd like to stick with Giant brand for the saddle, btw. I also noticed they have a saddle with a hole in the middle ($48 Flow 1 Mens) that supposedly relieves pressure. There are also some really big saddles that look comfy. I did read something about avoiding cushy saddles because they make your soft tissue sore. Any suggestions?

3. How many tire levers do I need in my saddle bag? I would think just one but every kit comes with at least two. You don't ever have to use them together at the same time, do you? Right now I'm carrying around 1 lever, 1 spare tube, 1 CO2 cartridge and inflator. Anything else I absolutely need for repairs?
Last edited by The Lamonster; 04-24-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Thread Tools