• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ShaunButter
(03-20-2017, 04:51 PM)

Originally Posted by MildSoss

Wait...

You can grab the Master sword before you even ever do any divine beasts? The master sword ain't breakable, is it? Please say it isn't so.

Correct, I powered my way to 13 hearts then claimed some back and put them in stamina once I got the sword, not done any divine beasts yet.
The Lamonster
(03-20-2017, 04:51 PM)
I want to do the Goron main quest for the divine beast but I can't even get close to the nav point without getting set on fire.

Tips, please :)
ShaunButter
(03-20-2017, 04:52 PM)

Originally Posted by The Lamonster

I want to do the Goron main quest for the divine beast but I can't even get close to the nav point without getting set on fire.

Elixirs are your friend.
Chezzymann
(03-20-2017, 04:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Mandelbo

I think at this point it sort of doesn't matter what armour you wear, bosses don't scale in difficulty along with you so it likely won't make a dent in you no matter what you wear.

I think thats a fairly significant design flaw in the game. There's all this cool shit to find through exploration, and your reward is... some really lame boss fights. If anything, if you want good boss fights, going straight to hyrule castle and doing the boss rush is your best option. But then you miss all that amazing content. Its kind of weird that doing everything the game has to offer makes the bosses disappointing, its almost punishing you. They should either scale with what gear you have or just be harder in general.
lyrick

Originally Posted by The Lamonster

Stop by the stable on the way into the region and talk to the person by the cooking pot.

Bring rupies.
norm9

Originally Posted by muteki

I feel like I was really progressing for a while there but after not finding any more armor upgrades for a while and the new armor I've obtained being weaker...that and weapons still ranging in the 20-30 range I feel like I've really stagnated. I'm hoping this changes next city though. I'm currently content just activating shrines and coming back to them later. A few less-than-fun ones recently have kinda put me off them for a while.

I finished the divine beasts and almost beat ganon last night. All my weapons are in the 20-30 range, more towards the 20 side. I haven't gotten a strong unique weapon in forever.
Deku Tree
(03-20-2017, 04:54 PM)

Originally Posted by CrazyHorse

On this page I can see durability stats and other stats for weapons. But the game only has one number? Where did they get these other numbers from?

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2017...h-of-the-wild/

Only attack or defense power is listed in the game. The other numbers are hidden.

Some of the numbers are in the official guide. Like the Hylian shield has 800 durability. Possibly you can also get the numbers from data mining the games code.
_Rob_
(03-20-2017, 04:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Chezzymann

I think thats a fairly significant design flaw in the game. There's all this cool shit to find through exploration, and your reward is... some really lame boss fights. If anything, if you want good boss fights, going straight to hyrule castle and doing the boss rush is your best option. But then you miss all that amazing content. Its kind of weird that doing everything the game has to offer makes the bosses disappointing, its almost punishing you. They should either scale with what gear you have or just be harder in general.

Personally I like the choice, it reminds me of how Megaman X handled it's first boss encounter. When a boss is difficult at first, and lot easier after the journey, it serves to make it feel worth the effort.
dmaul1114
(03-20-2017, 04:55 PM)

Originally Posted by bigJP

i feel like the cooking aspect of this game renders boss battles too easy. even if you dont cook and just hunt you have enough heart recovery items that it becomes a joke.

I hate hard boss fights (still platinumed Bloodborne with no summoning though!) so that was honestly a plus for me. Gamers that want more of a challenge can not add hearts or use the food. Those who just want to get them over with can power through them by gaining hearts and improving armor, doing them later when they have better weapons, use food as needed etc. Good way to customize difficulty options IMO.
vareon
(03-20-2017, 04:56 PM)
Went mineral hunting and ended up in a very curious looking place: Forgotten Temple. For a series that is inspired by Miyamoto stumbling into a cave, this game very much lacks caverns so a finding cavern-like place was fantastic.

"What could go wrong?" I think.

"Everything," this game answered.
CrazyHorse

Originally Posted by Deku Tree

Only attack or defense power is listed in the game. The other numbers are hidden.

Some of the numbers are in the official guide. Like the Hylian shield has 800 durability. Possibly you can also get the numbers from data mining the games code.

Thanks!
The Lamonster

Originally Posted by lyrick

Stop by the stable on the way into the region and talk to the person by the cooking pot.

Bring rupies.

Thanks. This is silly because I did talk to him yesterday but figured I could find a free solution somewhere out there. Oh well!
En-ou
(03-20-2017, 04:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Macchiato

lmao, riiighht??

I hope he's over 118 in this game because otherwise I'll feel very conflicted ahahah.

Does anyone know if we get to see his hair down and free? I need this.

I have an armor set where his hair is down but his eyes are covered.
NOLA_Gaffer
(03-20-2017, 04:59 PM)

Originally Posted by En-ou

man, the trek up death mt. amazing!!

Whoa, the moblin mask is cool. Where do you pick that up?
Cooter
Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
(03-20-2017, 05:00 PM)
Just finally finished my last beast (fire lizard) after 16 days and 65+ hours and have no immediate intention of going to the castle. Love love love this game!
En-ou
(03-20-2017, 05:00 PM)

Originally Posted by NOLA_Gaffer

Whoa, the moblin mask is cool. Where do you pick that up?

rumoured fang and bone shop in akkala. that's all the clues you get.
vareon
(03-20-2017, 05:01 PM)
Okay I'm still laughing at this place. LMAO this is fantastic.
AndrewDean84xX
(03-20-2017, 05:04 PM)
I own the Wii U version, and my daughter has the Switch version. Only real difference I notice is the framerate gets hit more often on the U. Not a huge deal for me.

I play the Wii U version on the tv in our upstairs living room, while my daughter plays on the switch. We're constantly telling each other to come and look, then we are marking each other maps for locations. Basically, we're playing Zelda as a co-op game, lol.
CrazyHorse
(03-20-2017, 05:05 PM)
Is there any point in revealing more than one great fairy? Do they all do the same thing?
ShaunButter
(03-20-2017, 05:06 PM)

Is there any point in revealing more than one great fairy? Do they all do the same thing?

More great fairy = more armor upgrades.
DrArchon

More fairies = higher level you can upgrade your armor to.
Herb Alpert
about 30 hours and he game, still no divine beast and just gor to zora domain.

What an incredible game.
WrenchNinja

Each new fairy unlocks a new upgrade tier

Though after paying up, you can go to any fairy to upgrade the gear
Tom Nook
I'm I ready for Ganon? or need more hearts and upgrades?

Got:

13 hearts
4 Devine Beast skills
Master sword (obviously)
1st Tier upgrade on the default clothes.
En-ou
(03-20-2017, 05:07 PM)
guardian hunting on horseback is so bad ass. I\ve gotten quite good at horseback fighting, the jousting is so satisfying.

Firemind
(03-20-2017, 05:07 PM)

Originally Posted by WrenchNinja

Each new fairy unlocks a new upgrade tier

Though after paying up, you can go to any fairy to upgrade the gear

Each fairy god is raunchier than the last one lol
Macchiato
(03-20-2017, 05:08 PM)

Originally Posted by En-ou

I have an armor set where his hair is down but his eyes are covered.

sweet, which one? (maybe spoiler tags)
En-ou
(03-20-2017, 05:10 PM)

Originally Posted by AndrewDean84xX

I own the Wii U version, and my daughter has the Switch version. Only real difference I notice is the framerate gets hit more often on the U. Not a huge deal for me.

I play the Wii U version on the tv in our upstairs living room, while my daughter plays on the switch. We're constantly telling each other to come and look, then we are marking each other maps for locations. Basically, we're playing Zelda as a co-op game, lol.

that is awesome. this is the first single player game I]ve played where it sparks so much commentary between friends. i'm going back and forth constantly with my friends.

Originally Posted by Macchiato

sweet, which one? (maybe spoiler tags)

from cherry in akkala
muteki
(03-20-2017, 05:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Jpop

I have 4 hearts and completed my first divine beast last night. Why are you so afraid to die?

Fun Fact

I take my Switch with me to work and play 15-20 minutes every hour or so.

Still dont understand how I have 30+ bours but Ive barely touched the surface of the game. I can easily see final completion time at 200+ hours.

Same, I don't currently have any incentive to use my upgrades for hearts, or feel as though I need more. You lose heath quickly (instantly in many cases) but the game throws temporary hearts at you like candy. Also the pretty lenient autosave keeps the game from punishing you too much.
TheKingOfSheep
(03-20-2017, 05:12 PM)

Originally Posted by ShaunButter

Correct, I powered my way to 13 hearts then claimed some back and put them in stamina once I got the sword, not done any divine beasts yet.

Wait, what? How can you claim back the orbs - i assume - and turn them into stamina after you already spend them on hearts?
dmaul1114
(03-20-2017, 05:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Tom Nook

I'm I ready for Ganon? or need more hearts and upgrades?

Got:

13 hearts
4 Devine Beast skills
Master sword (obviously)
1st Tier upgrade on the default clothes.

That's plenty. Especially if you have a lot of life restoring food, food for extra hearts, defense/attack boosting etc. May not even need that, but super easy if you have it.
En-ou
(03-20-2017, 05:13 PM)

Originally Posted by TheKingOfSheep

Wait, what? How can you claim back the orbs - i assume - and turn them into stamina after you already spend them on hearts?

talk to a kid in hateno
WrenchNinja
(03-20-2017, 05:14 PM)

There's a thing near Hateno that will do it for you for 20 rupees
ShaunButter
(03-20-2017, 05:14 PM)

Go here, this explains..

http://gameranx.com/features/id/9575...earts-stamina/
uncle_koploski
(03-20-2017, 05:17 PM)
I've been farming the bowling game in the snowy mountains to get rupees.

It's a good way to get a lot of rupees without selling valuable materials.

I need the 10,000 rupees for the last fairy fountain and 6,000 rupees for the ancient armor set. I also need to fully upgrade my house.

The rupee grind continues! I love how the rupee economy actually works in this game.
Firemind
(03-20-2017, 05:18 PM)

Originally Posted by muteki

Same, I don't currently have any incentive to use my upgrades for hearts, or feel as though I need more. You lose heath quickly (instantly in many cases) but the game throws temporary hearts at you like candy. Also the pretty lenient autosave keeps the game from punishing you too much.

I think it's actually more fun if you only have one stamina meter, since you have to plan a route if you want to go higher, like an actual mountain climber.
Deckard Chapel
(03-20-2017, 05:23 PM)
How many villages are in this game?

I've logged over 70 hours and I know there are a few I haven't seen yet lol
Kyne
(03-20-2017, 05:24 PM)
I know that you can't do it on the Switch, but can you transfer saves on the Wii U version of BOTW?
Aldric
(03-20-2017, 05:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Deckard Chapel

How many villages are in this game?

I've logged over 70 hours and I know there are a few I haven't seen yet lol

Between 7 and 9, depending on what you consider a village.
ghibli99
(03-20-2017, 05:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Firemind

I think it's actually more fun if you only have one stamina meter, since you have to plan a route if you want to go higher, like an actual mountain climber.

Nah, I like having extra stamina (and then food-boosted extra stamina) so that I can use the jump button to scale faster, especially for long climbs. No sense is wasting that kind of time (this coming from someone who has put 75 hours in so far and only beaten two bosses LOL).
Vena
(03-20-2017, 05:26 PM)
Who ever designed Hebra and hid some of those shrines is a monster. A goddamn monster.

See that random hill? There's a shrine under it but only if you look at it from the right angle, from the right height, while wearing a dress on the third day of the month but only if you shield surfed and shot two bokoblins in the face.
Deckard Chapel

Originally Posted by Aldric

Between 7 and 9, depending on what you consider a village.

Anything with more content than a stable.
LucidMomentum
Yo, that bird guy in the plains outside of Kakariko gave me a shrine quest and I think I'm in the right area to start looking for it.

The mountain next to Lanayru tower has bones and shit all over the base of the hill it's on. Going by the text of the puzzle I should be able to see it from there and I see like 4 shrines. Which one is it? Or do I need to climb the full mountain that has the bone structures at it's base?
jokkir
(03-20-2017, 05:27 PM)

Originally Posted by MildSoss

Wait...

You can grab the Master sword before you even ever do any divine beasts? The master sword ain't breakable, is it? Please say it isn't so.

Yeap. I did it and some people comment on it too.
Auto_aim1
MeisaMcCaffrey
(03-20-2017, 05:29 PM)
Okay I repaired my Slate, what should I do next? Find 12 locations?
JakeD
(03-20-2017, 05:30 PM)
One thing I noticed recently that may not be widely known: (mild weapon spoilers)

the weapons on hinox necks scale up, even red hinox. It drops nothing but 40+ royal broadswords and 50+ royal claymores for me now

Quick way to load up wth quality stuff late game I'm thinking, especially because red ones go down in 5 hits now.
burgerdog
(03-20-2017, 05:31 PM)
Did you guys end up googling the solutions to some of the riddles after trying to figure them out for a bit? I was initially just going to beat the game without looking up any guides but then I realized I was just going to ignore those quests until I beat the game and then use a guide. So far I've only had to look up how to unlock the fragmented shrine in the beach and I was overthinking it so much that the solution made me laugh.
Neoweee
(03-20-2017, 05:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Auto_aim1

Okay I repaired my Slate, what should I do next? Find 12 locations?

My suggestion: You'll get those 12 locations as you play the game. You can really progress along any "main quest" vector, or explore for shrines/seeds/regions, etc.

Everybody plays it differently from there, essentially.

Originally Posted by burgerdog

Did you guys end up googling the solutions to some of the riddles after trying to figure them out for a bit? I was initially just going to beat the game without looking up any guides but then I realized I was just going to ignore those quests until I beat the game and then use a guide. So far I've only had to look up how to unlock the fragmented shrine in the beach and I was overthinking it so much that the solution made me laugh.

No. I just move on and come back later. That no content really "blocks" any other content, other than a few quest chains, is like the single most freeing part about the game design.
greelay
(03-20-2017, 05:32 PM)
I am not too experienced with the legend of Zelda franchise...but how do the dungeons in this game compare to the dungeons from past games?
Crab
Famed for his Europa Universalis IV exploits
(03-20-2017, 05:33 PM)

Originally Posted by greelay

I am not too experienced with the legend of Zelda franchise...but how are people comparing the dungeons in this game relative to past games?

They're either the worst or second-worst set of dungeons in 3D Zelda, depending on how charitable you want to be to The Wind Waker. I don't think many will disagree with that statement.