• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Lord Ghirahim
(01-11-2017, 05:39 PM)
I would probably buy it depending on the condition of my first Switch. Have I scratched the screen? Has the battery gone to shit?
darkazcura
(01-11-2017, 05:40 PM)
Honestly I'm kind of expecting a Switch Mini (handheld only) in a year or two that will run on the worse configuration of the hybrid. Then a few years down the line I'm expecting either a dedicated console for increased power/resolution (third configuration) or an updated hybrid.

To me I think it's pretty clear Nintendo is going for a family of systems that run the same games, but we will see.
Last edited by darkazcura; 01-11-2017 at 05:44 PM.
kunonabi
(01-11-2017, 05:40 PM)
I'm banking on one since I won't be buying a Switch in its current form factor.
ShadowFox08
(01-11-2017, 05:41 PM)

Originally Posted by LewieP

They usually do revisions of their handhelds every 2 years, so it would be 2019.

My reaction would probably be "I'm glad I waited to buy this version rather than the first version".

I'm definitely going to end up owning one, but I think I'll probably wait for a while.

I'm also holding out for the probably handheld only and home console only revisions.

Edit: VR and 4k wouldn't be selling points for me I don't think, though.

we got the new 3ds about 3 years after OG, so who knows.
But yeah, an iteration is bound to happen soon.
Last edited by ShadowFox08; 01-11-2017 at 05:44 PM.
family_guy
(01-11-2017, 05:41 PM)

Originally Posted by heklu

Isn't it a bit too early for thoughts like this? I mean we don't really know what the Switch will be.

What do you need to know that hasn't been said already?
TheOnlyOneHeEverFeared
(01-11-2017, 05:42 PM)
I'd happily buy it.
Donniewahlberg
I think my reaction would probably be to buy it. I have no doubt in my mind, and I can only really say this with a Nintendo console, that in 3 years time I will have saw my money back in enjoyment with the Switch. Nintendo platforms are the only platform in my household where the entire family will use it, be it alone or together. If Nintendo feel the need is there to iterate or the existing technology to achieve what they want, or can give us a better experience, I can't imagine I'll object to that.

That said, if it was purely driven by 4K or VR integration, hurm, I'm not sure they would go forward in that manner. I expect the next iteration to have better battery life, a faster cpu to run the OS a bit nicer, screen size changes, most customisation ala faceplates, that kind of thing. That's really a different debate though. As a general rule of thumb, yes, I would buy it.
120v
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a new console by 2020 or so. Thing totally strikes me a something that'll get seveal iterations. Plus it's not like it can coast through next 3-5 years on its specs
ShadowFox08
(01-11-2017, 05:43 PM)
I don't know if I can see Nintendo releasing a handheld that is PS4-PS4 Pro power in 3 years at an affordable price and good battery. Hell by the time they do, we'll likely get the next consoles by Sony.
Glass Rebel

Originally Posted by family_guy

3 years worth of games to decide whether I want to buy an upgrade, for starters.
takoyaki
I'm fully expecting the Switch to get yearly or at least biyearly hardware updates.

Nintendo won't release a $400-$600 beast this March that has to last 4-6 years, they'll release a $200-250 device that, if successful, will get regular hardware updates and maybe multiple form-factors.

I’m getting a Switch Day 1. I think the iterative hardware strategy (like Sony with the Pro) makes a lot of sense.
Hasney
Pre-ordered.
Volotaire
(01-11-2017, 05:45 PM)
My reaction is that it will be expected, assuming the console is reasonably successful, given the pattern of Nintendo's handheld console revisions. My purchasing decision on the Switch will price in the likely due date of a revised release.

As for the features listed in the OP, it does not seem abnormal apart from whether the 4K feature set is just upscaling or a semi-scaling solution like the checkerboard scaling on PS4 Pro.
Graphics Horse
graphics horse
graphics horse
does whatever a
graphics horse does
(01-11-2017, 05:45 PM)
I think there will be a variation within 2 years, launch a cheap & smallish handheld only variant alongside Pokémon Diamond & Pearl Remakes or whatever.
An improved hybrid in 2020 would not surprise me, assuming the first one is popular, but if not they can repurpose the same tech for traditional home consoles/portables
Last edited by Graphics Horse; 01-11-2017 at 05:50 PM.
deriks
(01-11-2017, 05:46 PM)
Will be more than expected
Thraktor
(01-11-2017, 05:47 PM)
I'd be surprised if it takes that long. All indications are pointing to them creating a software ecosystem that can operate over a wide variety of hardware models and form factors, with Switch being the first device in this ecosystem, so there's no reason to wait so long between hardware launches.

I'm expecting about a yearly cadence for new Switch hardware, something along the lines of the following:
  • 2017 - Switch - 6" 720p screen hybrid, N1 SoC
  • 2018 - Switch Pocket - ~5" 720p screen, N1 SoC, no detachable controllers, no dock, portable only
  • 2019 - Switch Home - New, more powerful N2 SoC, pure home console, 4K for some games
  • 2020 - Switch Plus - 6" 1080p screen hybrid, N2 SoC, ~1440p graphics on TV
  • 2021 - Switch Pocket Plus - etc., etc.
N.Grim
Banned
(01-11-2017, 05:48 PM)
Hypothetical Nintendo Switch 3 by 2029. What would be your reaction?
family_guy

Originally Posted by ShadowFox08

I don't know if I can see Nintendo releasing a handheld that is PS4-PS4 Pro power in 3 years at an affordable price and good battery. Hell by the time they do, we'll likely get the next consoles by Sony.

We'd probably be talking about double the power of the Switch. I think that's achievable by 2020.
Hero of Legend
Nah, I'm kind of bored of major upgrades like that. Revisions are fine of course, but just save up that effort for the next system. Honestly I'm not sure if the New 3DS has done a whole lot personally towards doing things "better". I mean yeah, it's handy with the improved 3D and C-Stick, but it's more of a "this is a good first 3DS" and not an "upgrade" thing.

What I think they can do is release both a Switch TV and a slimmer handheld down the road, or at least the former. I'd think a console-only one for far cheaper can be appealing, though Vita TV doesn't make that a certainty in terms of success. :P

Making a New Nintendo Switch with a higher-res screen seems very pointless. I don't see a whole lot of improvements that would be legit taken advantage of by the majority of games. Wouldn't help Nintendo either if they have to use more resources to make "New" versions in addition to regular versions of games. Sony and MS I think mandate that as there can be no Pro or Scorpio-exclusives.

So revisions where it's just slimmer/cheaper, absolutely. But changes to the core system with spec-improvements that likely won't really be utilized effectively and seem kind of wasteful? I don't think so.
NSESN
(01-11-2017, 05:50 PM)
I thnk switch will have revisions, but they aren't going to hybrid, their next hybrid will be switch 2.
Now the revison that i can see is:
- A handheld only device with no detachable controllers, much smaller and unable to be docked.
- A home console only device with more power and 4k capable.
Vital Tundra
(01-11-2017, 05:52 PM)
I fully expect the Switch to be a device that has many upgrades in the future.
Aostia
El Capitan Todd
(01-11-2017, 05:53 PM)
as for other Nintendo portable upgrades, as for PS4 Pro and so on
it depends on how the new imrpovements interest me, how good the Gamestop trade-in program is and so on.
shark sandwich
(01-11-2017, 05:56 PM)
Switch games are already designed to scale pretty drastically from handheld -> docked mode. I see absolutely no reason why they couldn't create a more powerful Switch device in the future.
GameplayWhore
(01-11-2017, 05:57 PM)
I heard that NOA's Laura Kate Dale said that Switch U is getting Halo 3, but PS5 is getting the whole trilogy for the same price a week earlier. Typical Nintendo.

edit: will still buy, but I always want my consoles to be more than just "same thing with upgraded processing/memory/rez"
udivision
(01-11-2017, 06:04 PM)
Would you settle for a built in Amiibo reader and CPU boost that'll finally let you play the Xenoblade Chronicles X port?
Red Liquorice
needs to check himself
(01-11-2017, 06:06 PM)
We should expect it from them all now going forward. Anyone who buys a console at launch should expect it to be 'obsolete' twice as fast as previously.
Vidiot
(01-11-2017, 06:08 PM)
As long as It didn't get exclusive games I wouldn't care.
heklu
(01-11-2017, 06:10 PM)

Originally Posted by family_guy

Maybe the Specs? Resolution? Stuff like that. Why should we talk about a more powerful Nintendo Switch, although we don't even know how powerful the original Switch will be?
Donniewahlberg
(01-11-2017, 06:15 PM)

Maybe the Specs? Resolution? Stuff like that. Why should we talk about a more powerful Nintendo Switch, although we don't even know how powerful the original Switch will be?

Kind of feel like we have a good barometer of it, if youve been following eurogamer's reports etc.
wildfire
(01-11-2017, 06:17 PM)

Originally Posted by schaft0620

Theres absolutely going to be a 2 year hardware revision.

I agree but I don't see Nintendo supporting 4K until 2024.
sixteen-bit
(01-11-2017, 06:18 PM)
Would cop

and be happy that I waited
Jumpman23
(01-11-2017, 06:21 PM)
I like many consumers upgrade my phone every two years. I see game consoles heading that route too. Nintendo's new machine seems ripe to follow a similar pattern. Especially considering their previous handheld efforts. With nearly all things digital, I don't even think cartridge shape/format even matters either. You could just re-download to your newer device.

I'd buy it!
Ushojax
Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
(01-11-2017, 06:24 PM)
I expect all hardware makers will follow the template of Xbox, 3DS and PS4 and release upgraded models every 2-ish years.
patrickthehedgehog
(01-11-2017, 06:25 PM)
Makes sense if Switch is successful to become a platform like iOS. I'd bite.
galvatron
(01-11-2017, 06:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Fantastapotamus

The Switch isn't even out yet, isn't this a bit soon?

Agreed.

That said, I completely skipped the New 3DS and I recently bought a PS4 slim instead of a Pro. So long as I could keep playing new games, I'm doubt I'd upgrade immediately.
Last edited by galvatron; 01-11-2017 at 06:36 PM.
family_guy
(01-11-2017, 06:26 PM)

Originally Posted by wildfire

I agree but I don't see Nintendo supporting 4K until 2024.

A simple scaling option wouldn't require any real work from them. Native 4k would be out of the question.
Possumowner
(01-11-2017, 06:27 PM)
Staaaaaaahp...I want off the upgradothon choo choo
LegendofLex
(01-11-2017, 06:27 PM)
Unless it tanks like Wii U, Switch is absolutely going to get several different models. They'll probably focus on the following things:

- Different form factor configurations (set-top only, smaller portable) at different price points
- Better battery life
- Higher resolution portable screen
- More stable framerate
- 4K output and HDR on TV
Last edited by LegendofLex; 01-11-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Toxi
(01-11-2017, 06:28 PM)
Same way I reacted to the New Nintendo 3DS.
family_guy
(01-11-2017, 06:29 PM)

Eurogamer has reported on it and that's probably the best you'll get. Nintendo will probably never confirm actual specs beyond the physical components like the 720p LCD.
RankFTW
(01-11-2017, 06:29 PM)
But what about Switch 3?
JCX
(01-11-2017, 06:32 PM)
I expect it. Nintendo updates their portable hardware and Sony/MS do too. I'd be more shocked if they didn't have an upgraded version.
Toadthemushroom
(01-11-2017, 06:32 PM)
Iwata stated that the next gen platform will be more like iOS and Android and games will run on several form factors instead of just one hardware config, so I don't think there will be a traditional New 3DS or PS4 Pro style upgrade as you describe.

There'll be new form factors before any iterative upgrades too I think, followed by iPhone-like refreshes of existing form factors. e.g. if a console-only NX device gets released I'd expect a refresh of the hybrid switch to match that new device's power more closely.
Marow
(01-11-2017, 06:34 PM)
It entirely depends on what this entails. Will Switch have a brand new OS that will be the standard for Nintendo from now on, something akin to iOS? Meaning that further console revisions will be free of hassle and digital purchases will be playable as times go on? And is this whole thing planned far into the future similar to this mindset, avoiding any things like PS3 to PS4 and not seemingly being a bit of an afterthought like with PS4 to Pro (at least from my impressions)?

Then I'm all for it, really.

Switch, Switch Pro, Switch Mini, Switch GO, Switch HOME and so forth.
Compsiox
(01-11-2017, 06:34 PM)
The current one hasn't even been fully revealed yet and we're already talking about the next one.

You guys are too desperate for Switch threads.
2+2=5
The Amiga Brotherhood
(01-11-2017, 06:38 PM)
If Nintendo goes the Scorpio/pc/mobile way meaning that switch 2(and 3,4,5 etc) will be compatible with switch 1 then Nintendo not only has all my approval, but i really hope it will be like this, if on the other hand it will just be a switch pro, meaning that there will be an incompatible switch 2 then no thank you.
OrbitalBeard
(01-11-2017, 06:42 PM)
I'd go "oh ok, it's business as usual" and then I'd pre-order one.
gogojira
(01-11-2017, 06:43 PM)
100 percent OK with iterative consoles. Would be there day one.
Gaspard
(01-11-2017, 06:46 PM)
I'm expecting the Switch to be a family of systems with multiple form factors and refreshes every couple years.
ironmang
(01-11-2017, 06:48 PM)
Only way I'd buy is if the "handheld" portion of it was made to fit in my pocket to truly replace the 3DS. If not, I'll probably skip it in favor of PS5.