• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Olly88
Member
(03-13-2017, 05:03 AM)
Olly88's Avatar
I beat Vampire's Kiss tonight. Really enjoyed it I have to say.

Oh, and the music is awesome!
Morfeo
The Chuck Norris of Peace
(03-13-2017, 11:06 AM)
Morfeo's Avatar
Got Ghoul Patrol, but had to increase my bid to $20 - which is still decent i guess.

Congrats on beating Vampire Kiss btw!
Last edited by Morfeo; 03-14-2017 at 02:06 AM.
Barrel Cannon
Member
(03-13-2017, 12:24 PM)
Barrel Cannon's Avatar

Originally Posted by shorty_symd

Currently visiting my parents this week and uncovered my fc3plus in a cupboard. Thought I'd give Super Mario RPG a go but heard that a lot of these snes clones can't play it. However, where there's a will there's a way! Blank screen when plugged in on its own but if you use a univeral adapter it works! Success!

This is so hilarious to look at
Olly88
Member
(03-15-2017, 06:26 PM)
Olly88's Avatar

Originally Posted by Olly88

Probably the last SNES game I'll buy for a month or so...

Ok maybe not quite that long

I know alot of people don't like it because of the whole "baby's first RPG" thing, but I have FFIII to play some time and I think I need to try and ease myself in so I don't put myself off the genre forever due to frustration.
Last edited by Olly88; 03-15-2017 at 06:34 PM.
sixteen-bit
Member
(03-16-2017, 04:22 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar
Looks like Unholy Knight is staying JP exclusive
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ge/description
shorty_symd
Super Nintendo Chalmers
(03-16-2017, 05:44 PM)
shorty_symd's Avatar

Originally Posted by Barrel Cannon

This is so hilarious to look at

I know right?! hahahahaha. Gotta love weird hack-y stuff like this.
Plasmid
Member
(03-19-2017, 02:40 AM)
Plasmid's Avatar
Hi SNES gaf! My father in law is moving and cleaned out his closet and among the games I found these.

I'm on mobile so I have to post directly to imgur :(

https://i.imgur.com/2ZAWkf2.jpg

Any idea on value? eBay seems to be around $650 total.

Im going to keep one cart, but would like to sell the other. The guide I'm not too keen on keeping either.

Is it realistic to hold onto these for a few more years? Or is the value pretty static?
blast processed
Member
(03-19-2017, 02:43 AM)
blast processed's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plasmid

Hi SNES gaf! My father in law is moving and cleaned out his closet and among the games I found these.

I'm on mobile so I have to post directly to imgur :(

https://i.imgur.com/2ZAWkf2.jpg

Any idea on value? eBay seems to be around $650 total.

Im going to keep one cart, but would like to sell the other. The guide I'm not too keen on keeping either.

Is it realistic to hold onto these for a few more years? Or is the value pretty static?

LOL just so happen to find, not one, but two, of the most expensive games on the SNES. And the box...
Plasmid
Member
(03-19-2017, 02:46 AM)
Plasmid's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jake from State Farm

LOL just so happen to find, not one, but two, of the most expensive games on the SNES. And the box...

It has the guide with scratch and sniff stickers as well (they're pretty bad).

He said he got it from a blockbuster for about $15 total.
Olly88
Member
(03-19-2017, 03:40 AM)
Olly88's Avatar
After years of being unbeaten I've finally completed Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt. The last levels are so, so hard. So satisfying to beat it.
Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
(03-19-2017, 09:09 AM)
Teknoman's Avatar
I still wish i'd run on the guide in a half price books, catch them slipping on the price...but i'm sure that'll never happen. I've even seen the Mother 3 fangamer guide in an HPB for a semi-expensive price.
Leonsito
Member
(03-19-2017, 03:58 PM)
Leonsito's Avatar
I finally bought a Chrono Trigger cartridge, I'm only missing Earthbound of my most wanted games.
Olly88
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:13 AM)
Olly88's Avatar
Can anyone recommend some traditional Japanese type music from SNES (or SFC) games? I'l talking about music like this from Pocky and Rocky 2, or this from Mystical Ninja (or any other music from those games) etc. Thanks!
ephemeral
Member
(04-09-2017, 04:15 PM)
Noob question: can I use a US RGB cable for my SFC?
sixteen-bit
Member
(04-09-2017, 04:55 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Olly88

Can anyone recommend some traditional Japanese type music from SNES (or SFC) games? I'l talking about music like this from Pocky and Rocky 2, or this from Mystical Ninja (or any other music from those games) etc. Thanks!

Samurai Shodown maybe?
Last edited by sixteen-bit; 04-09-2017 at 05:59 PM.
NR1
Member
(04-10-2017, 12:21 AM)
It seemed like it took forever, but I finally got my SNES collection all cleaned up with cases and printed covers! I also greatly grew my collection with new titles from Europe, Japan, and a few unreleased unofficial reproductions!

Got to love The Cover Project!




My SNES Collection


Title A-P


Titles T-Z


4-Player Setup and Titles



Import and Reproduction Titles
sixteen-bit
Member
(04-10-2017, 12:39 AM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar
wow that must have taken a lot of work
Morfeo
The Chuck Norris of Peace
(04-10-2017, 02:44 AM)
Morfeo's Avatar
Looks good!
blast processed
Member
(04-10-2017, 03:21 AM)
blast processed's Avatar
Nice job!! I would have splurged for a paper cutter to keep the cut straight and speed things up, instead of scissors. That is, unless you have a steady hand?
-KRS-
Member
(04-10-2017, 08:03 AM)
-KRS-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by ephemeral

Noob question: can I use a US RGB cable for my SFC?

Yes. I use an NTSC SCART cable with mine.
sixteen-bit
Member
(04-10-2017, 01:50 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar

Originally Posted by -KRS-

Yes. I use an NTSC SCART cable with mine.

That makes sense because Japan uses NTSC.
Peltz
Member
(04-10-2017, 03:40 PM)
Peltz's Avatar
I just grabbed Super Punch-out!!!

I still never beat the NES original, but I'm excited to experience this one. I also have the Wii reboot that I still never played because I wanted to try the SNES version first. I'm going to try it sometime this week,.
ephemeral
Member
(04-10-2017, 05:21 PM)

Originally Posted by -KRS-

Yes. I use an NTSC SCART cable with mine.

Thanks :).
Shin Johnpv
Ninty Ninty Ninty
Ninty Ninty Ninty
(04-10-2017, 05:35 PM)
Shin Johnpv's Avatar

Originally Posted by Peltz

I just grabbed Super Punch-out!!!

I still never beat the NES original, but I'm excited to experience this one. I also have the Wii reboot that I still never played because I wanted to try the SNES version first. I'm going to try it sometime this week,.


The SNES one is probably the most different out of the 3. It's really good too but also kind of very different in the types of attacks and moves the fighters do. NES and Wii ones are much closer in style IMHO. All 3 are amazing games though. The animation on the Wii one is sooooooo fucking good.
sixteen-bit
Member
(04-11-2017, 01:20 AM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar
Unholy Night is shipping out now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltr4mtmRCCo

looks pretty crap, lol
Peltz
Member
(04-11-2017, 03:52 PM)
Peltz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv

The SNES one is probably the most different out of the 3. It's really good too but also kind of very different in the types of attacks and moves the fighters do. NES and Wii ones are much closer in style IMHO. All 3 are amazing games though. The animation on the Wii one is sooooooo fucking good.

I tried it last night. I got up to the Mexican Wrestling dude who spits in your face before calling it quits for the night.

It's fun. Definitely, I like the change in pace and overall different feel from the NES version. It makes both of them feel unique and worth playing as separate titles.
Shin Johnpv
Ninty Ninty Ninty
Ninty Ninty Ninty
(04-11-2017, 06:41 PM)
Shin Johnpv's Avatar
Absolutely, agree completely. They're so different and so worth both playing. I really hope there's a new Punch Out on Switch, I love that series.
Peltz
Member
(04-12-2017, 12:17 AM)
Peltz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plasmid

Hi SNES gaf! My father in law is moving and cleaned out his closet and among the games I found these.

I'm on mobile so I have to post directly to imgur :(

https://i.imgur.com/2ZAWkf2.jpg

Any idea on value? eBay seems to be around $650 total.

Im going to keep one cart, but would like to sell the other. The guide I'm not too keen on keeping either.

Is it realistic to hold onto these for a few more years? Or is the value pretty static?

Not only is it unrealistic... that game is totally worthless and you should just give it to me :)

Real answer: Wait to see Nintendo's Virtual Console Switch plans before selling. There's a slight chance they may release Mother 3. If they do, that's when you should capitalize on Mother/Earthbound hype. If not, you'll not have lost any value before selling.

Chances are, it may not get much higher than the $650 you're seeing otherwise. I don't see prices suddenly rising in the next 3 years but I also never see them falling.
Square2015
Member
(04-12-2017, 07:24 AM)
Square2015's Avatar

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

Unholy Night is shipping out now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltr4mtmRCCo

looks pretty crap, lol

Looks and sounds more like a GBA title.
sixteen-bit
Member
(04-12-2017, 01:16 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Square2015

Looks and sounds more like a GBA title.

Crawfish's port of SFA3 on GBA is doing like 20x this, lol.
Mr. Virus
Member
(04-13-2017, 01:23 PM)
Managed to pick up an English copy of Terranigma for a not horrific price. Actually having a copy of this has been my white whale for like 15 years now.
theSlacker
Member
(04-13-2017, 03:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Mr. Virus

Managed to pick up an English copy of Terranigma for a not horrific price. Actually having a copy of this has been my white whale for like 15 years now.

Congrats. It was probably my original white whale. And I'm not even satisfied with the copy that I got...
Hootie
I may be a racist, but
at least I'm not black.
(04-17-2017, 12:42 PM)
Hootie's Avatar
Hi everyone, I have a question about RGB/Scart stuff

I currently use Composite but it seems like RGB is much better, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. I have a US SNES (which I dont think is 1CHIP), so do I just buy an RGB Scart cable, and plug it into my HDTV? Or are there other accessories I need? And I'm not sure how important this is but I now live in Switzerland so I have a european hdtv, so I don't know if that will change anything. Currently my composite cables work fine on it.

Also, what are the differences between these two cables?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161704904959?rmvSB=true which is around $40

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201284360714 which is around $20



Finally, what are people opinions on reproduction carts of games that didnt come out in the US (like Secret of Mana 2 fan translations, or an NTSC Terranigma cart)? I was wondering if I should buy the repro carts or just get an Everdrive/SD2SNES for those types of games.
linkboy
Member
(04-17-2017, 01:53 PM)
linkboy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hootie

Finally, what are people opinions on reproduction carts of games that didnt come out in the US (like Secret of Mana 2 fan translations, or an NTSC Terranigma cart)? I was wondering if I should buy the repro carts or just get an Everdrive/SD2SNES for those types of games.

I'd go for the SD2SNES, it gives you more options in the long run. I absolutely love mine (also have the NES one, which I love too).
Krelian
Member
(04-17-2017, 05:34 PM)
Krelian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hootie

Hi everyone, I have a question about RGB/Scart stuff

I currently use Composite but it seems like RGB is much better, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. I have a US SNES (which I dont think is 1CHIP), so do I just buy an RGB Scart cable, and plug it into my HDTV? Or are there other accessories I need? And I'm not sure how important this is but I now live in Switzerland so I have a european hdtv, so I don't know if that will change anything. Currently my composite cables work fine on it.

The TV doesn't matter, it will work regardless. It used to be that European TVs didn't support NTSC but that hasn't been a problem since the 90s.

As for the two cables, I can't see a difference at first glance. Maybe the detailed description justifies the higher price for the second one but you should be fine with the first one, too.

It depends on your TV's scaler if you'll be happy with the result. It should result in a better picture regardless, but to get the best possible picture you'll probably need another device to upscale the SNES picture to your HDTV. You should visit Retro AV GAF to learn more about possible solutions.
Hootie
I may be a racist, but
at least I'm not black.
(04-18-2017, 01:03 AM)
Hootie's Avatar
Thanks for the help and suggestions guys, I will probably just buy the cheaper one I linked to, once the seller is back from vacation.

And I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the SD2SNES but the $110 difference compared to the Everdrive is hard to justify.


I have one further question, this time about the 8bitdo SNES30 wireless controllers.

If I bought 2 controllers and 2 receivers could I use both simultaneously on the same SNES? I'm not sure if there would be interference/difficulties having two plugged into the same SNES at the same time.
NDPsycho
Member
(04-18-2017, 04:01 AM)
NDPsycho's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hootie

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys, I will probably just buy the cheaper one I linked to, once the seller is back from vacation.

And I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the SD2SNES but the $110 difference compared to the Everdrive is hard to justify.


I have one further question, this time about the 8bitdo SNES30 wireless controllers.

If I bought 2 controllers and 2 receivers could I use both simultaneously on the same SNES? I'm not sure if there would be interference/difficulties having two plugged into the same SNES at the same time.

I have no issues uding two of the controllers together at the same time. Love them.
dubc35
Member
(04-18-2017, 04:26 AM)
dubc35's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hootie

And I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the SD2SNES but the $110 difference compared to the Everdrive is hard to justify.

FYI if you can wait, krikzz has 20%(?) off deals on black Friday every year.
-KRS-
Member
(04-18-2017, 09:49 AM)
-KRS-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Hootie

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys, I will probably just buy the cheaper one I linked to, once the seller is back from vacation.

And I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the SD2SNES but the $110 difference compared to the Everdrive is hard to justify.


I have one further question, this time about the 8bitdo SNES30 wireless controllers.

If I bought 2 controllers and 2 receivers could I use both simultaneously on the same SNES? I'm not sure if there would be interference/difficulties having two plugged into the same SNES at the same time.

As someone who has an SD2SNES, I really like that I have one but I'd probably be content with an Everdrive as well. Sure there are some games that only work on SD2SNES but not that many. And Everdrive has some other features like action replay cheat support (which is being worked on for SD2SNES but development in general is really slow). The instant loading is really nice though. I didn't realize how great it is until I saw my friend's Everdrive boot up and load a game.
Shin Johnpv
Ninty Ninty Ninty
Ninty Ninty Ninty
(04-18-2017, 02:20 PM)
Shin Johnpv's Avatar
MSU1 versions of games alone make the SD2SNES worth it over the Everdrive. And there's always more MSU1 conversions being made.
sixteen-bit
Member
(04-18-2017, 02:35 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar
has anyone modded the SD2SNES to have a more aesthetically appealing menu? I don't mind the non-nonsense look of the ED.
Shin Johnpv
Ninty Ninty Ninty
Ninty Ninty Ninty
(04-18-2017, 03:04 PM)
Shin Johnpv's Avatar
I believe you can create your own image files for that, but I never bothered to.
socksfelloff
Member
(04-18-2017, 03:56 PM)
socksfelloff's Avatar
Here my impressions as someone who owns almost every everdrive.

I bought a super everdrive during black Friday 2015 and it's been a great device however as time went on I found out about the msu1 and that made me jump the gun on grabbing a SD2snes during black Friday 2016.

Damn!

The SD2snes is such an upgrade. The super everdrive feels very slow and archaic compared to the modern everdrives and the SD2snes is the level above that! It's super slick, super fast and you can play msu1 as well as a few games the super everdrive couldn't.

Msu1 is fantastic and I cannot wait for more games to take advantage of it.

The super everdrive feels like an old flash cart still kicking around from the 90s. It'll get you from point A to point B but don't try and go to point C.

The SD2snes feels like the future. It feels like a cutting edge device that will last you for the rest of your life. Wherever Snes homebrew/chip support goes in the future the SD2snes will take you there.

If you've heard people sing the praises of FPGA hardware and it being the future of retro gaming that's exactly what the SD2snes is (it's an FPGA on a cart)
Mr. Virus
Member
(04-18-2017, 04:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Hootie

Hi everyone, I have a question about RGB/Scart stuff

I currently use Composite but it seems like RGB is much better, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. I have a US SNES (which I dont think is 1CHIP), so do I just buy an RGB Scart cable, and plug it into my HDTV? Or are there other accessories I need? And I'm not sure how important this is but I now live in Switzerland so I have a european hdtv, so I don't know if that will change anything. Currently my composite cables work fine on it.

Also, what are the differences between these two cables?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161704904959?rmvSB=true which is around $40

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201284360714 which is around $20



Finally, what are people opinions on reproduction carts of games that didnt come out in the US (like Secret of Mana 2 fan translations, or an NTSC Terranigma cart)? I was wondering if I should buy the repro carts or just get an Everdrive/SD2SNES for those types of games.

Unsure about NTSC-U Scart plugs, but the pin arrangements in PAL and NTSC-J plugs are different so you may want to double check that NTSC-U and NTSC-J are the same. SCART isn't a universal arrangement.
Robin64
Member
(04-18-2017, 04:08 PM)
Robin64's Avatar

Originally Posted by Olly88

I know alot of people don't like it because of the whole "baby's first RPG" thing, but I have FFIII to play some time and I think I need to try and ease myself in so I don't put myself off the genre forever due to frustration.

"Baby's first RPG" be damned, I love Mystic Quest. Though as a European, that might be because it was the only thing we got here on home consoles with the Final Fantasy name on before Final Fantasy VII.
Shin Johnpv
Ninty Ninty Ninty
Ninty Ninty Ninty
(04-18-2017, 05:34 PM)
Shin Johnpv's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr. Virus

Unsure about NTSC-U Scart plugs, but the pin arrangements in PAL and NTSC-J plugs are different so you may want to double check that NTSC-U and NTSC-J are the same. SCART isn't a universal arrangement.

NTSC RGB output is the same on the SNES regardless of NA or Japan, and by that I mean the cables, and the pinouts. (well SCART and JP21 place things dfifferently, but you can do scart out of a Super Famicom and such)
SheepyGuy
Member
(04-18-2017, 05:42 PM)
SheepyGuy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv

NTSC RGB output is the same on the SNES regardless of NA or Japan, and by that I mean the cables, and the pinouts. (well SCART and JP21 place things dfifferently, but you can do scart out of a Super Famicom and such)

The NTSC consoles output csync on pin 3 whereas PAL does a +12V so you really don't want to mix them up especially if you have one wired directly for csync. The RGB pins also carry slightly different signals.



Mr. Virus
Member
(04-18-2017, 08:15 PM)

Originally Posted by SheepyGuy

The NTSC consoles output csync on pin 3 whereas PAL does a +12V so you really don't want to mix them up especially if you have one wired directly for csync. The RGB pins also carry slightly different signals.



Yeah, in PAL land here so know not to mix those two up. But will defer to others who're saying it's fine for the NTSC consoles.
Shin Johnpv
Ninty Ninty Ninty
Ninty Ninty Ninty
(04-18-2017, 08:21 PM)
Shin Johnpv's Avatar

Originally Posted by SheepyGuy

The NTSC consoles output csync on pin 3 whereas PAL does a +12V so you really don't want to mix them up especially if you have one wired directly for csync. The RGB pins also carry slightly different signals.



Which is why I said NTSC in regards to NA and Japan RGB output and not PAL.
entremet
Member
(04-19-2017, 04:19 PM)
entremet's Avatar
SNES mini y'all.

Wonder if it will be another NES mini shitshow.

Thread Tools