• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Grim Patron
Member
(02-17-2017, 06:45 PM)
Grim Patron's Avatar
Thanks for everything John

dont forget the ketchup
CrichtonKicks
Member
(02-17-2017, 08:44 PM)
CrichtonKicks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gacha-pin

1988, 2016

These are fantastic but I see that APA Hotel and just feel sad.
poipoipoi9
Member
(02-18-2017, 11:39 AM)
poipoipoi9's Avatar
How's the framerate for the Yakuza 6 on OG PS4 like? Played the demo and its really jittery.
lucebuce12
Member
(02-18-2017, 12:44 PM)
lucebuce12's Avatar

Originally Posted by poipoipoi9

How's the framerate for the Yakuza 6 on OG PS4 like? Played the demo and its really jittery.

Generally stable, but some scenes and locations do have some noticeable slowdown.

Entering a restaurant can really tank the fps, but it's only for like that half a second when the camera is still showing some of the outside world and the inside of the restaurant/bar but otherwise it's fine.

There is screen tearing but fortunately for me it's not been noticeable though I have heard other people complain about it.
SpikedGunner
Member
(02-18-2017, 07:18 PM)
SpikedGunner's Avatar

Originally Posted by atlusprime

Hey YakuzaGAF - just wanted to say my goodbyes...I'm leaving the family to going to go start an orphanage or maybe drive a taxi, but it's been awesome getting Yakuza 0 launched with you all and having Kiwami and 6 announced for western releases.

Don't fret over charts - Yakuza 0 was incredible, and the outpouring of community support here was truly a wonder to behold.

Special shoutouts to everyone in the community, especially Irishninja and Son of Sparda for spreading the good word of Kamurocho around. Couldn't have done it without you all, kyodai.

May your heat gauge be forever filled!

-John

Thanks John, for everything, we really appreciate everything you've done for us.
Son Of Sparda
Member
(02-18-2017, 08:06 PM)
Son Of Sparda's Avatar

Originally Posted by atlusprime

Hey YakuzaGAF - just wanted to say my goodbyes...I'm leaving the family to going to go start an orphanage or maybe drive a taxi, but it's been awesome getting Yakuza 0 launched with you all and having Kiwami and 6 announced for western releases.

Don't fret over charts - Yakuza 0 was incredible, and the outpouring of community support here was truly a wonder to behold.

Special shoutouts to everyone in the community, especially Irishninja and Son of Sparda for spreading the good word of Kamurocho around. Couldn't have done it without you all, kyodai.

May your heat gauge be forever filled!

-John

Thank you for everything you've done for Yakuza 0 and the Yakuza community as a whole, John. I won't say goodbye cause I expect to see you in this and other Yakuza threads in the future.

You may not be Atlus PR anymore, but you'll always remain our kyodai.
IrishNinja
(02-18-2017, 08:37 PM)
IrishNinja's Avatar

Originally Posted by atlusprime

Hey YakuzaGAF - just wanted to say my goodbyes...I'm leaving the family to going to go start an orphanage or maybe drive a taxi, but it's been awesome getting Yakuza 0 launched with you all and having Kiwami and 6 announced for western releases.

Don't fret over charts - Yakuza 0 was incredible, and the outpouring of community support here was truly a wonder to behold.

Special shoutouts to everyone in the community, especially Irishninja and Son of Sparda for spreading the good word of Kamurocho around. Couldn't have done it without you all, kyodai.

May your heat gauge be forever filled!

-John

we were really lucky to have you on board during a crucial point in the series' revitalization here in the west, man. again, thanks so much for everything & all the best in your next endeavor!
poipoipoi9
Member
(02-19-2017, 01:16 PM)
poipoipoi9's Avatar
General question: How often do the games go on sale on PSN? Thinking of getting 4 and 5 when they're cheaper.
Shadowman16
Member
(02-19-2017, 06:00 PM)

Originally Posted by poipoipoi9

General question: How often do the games go on sale on PSN? Thinking of getting 4 and 5 when they're cheaper.

Once or twice a year from what I saw. I'd imagine they'll knock 33-50% price off both games if your patient enough, if there is another "Japanese games sale" type thing on PSN they'll more than likely be included.
Son Of Sparda
Member
(02-19-2017, 06:54 PM)
Son Of Sparda's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shadowman16

Once or twice a year from what I saw. I'd imagine they'll knock 33-50% price off both games if your patient enough, if there is another "Japanese games sale" type thing on PSN they'll more than likely be included.

When's Golden Week? They'll probably do a sale then.
lucebuce12
Member
(02-19-2017, 06:55 PM)
lucebuce12's Avatar

Originally Posted by Son Of Sparda

When's Golden Week? They'll probably do a sale then.

End of April I believe.
Son Of Sparda
Member
(02-19-2017, 07:20 PM)
Son Of Sparda's Avatar

Originally Posted by lucebuce12

End of April I believe.

You are correct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Week_(Japan)

Hopefully we'll get some good Japanese sales.
Young Magus
Member
(02-21-2017, 12:06 AM)
Young Magus's Avatar
Yo what game should I play next?

I got 6, Isshin, and 4 on me right now.

And hows 6 on ps4 pro? Whats the difference between it and og ps4?
Shadowman16
Member
(02-21-2017, 10:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Young Magus

Yo what game should I play next?

I got 6, Isshin, and 4 on me right now.

And hows 6 on ps4 pro? Whats the difference between it and og ps4?

Ishin is never getting released in English, so I'd recommend playing that (its excellent, and a nice change from the main numbered Yakuza games).

6 has minor Pro upgrades. I think there is a resolution boost from 900p to 1080p (but I'm not sure on this), the frame rate is almost a solid 30FPS all the time and the screen tearing has been eliminated.
Etrian Oddity
Member
(02-24-2017, 04:27 AM)
Etrian Oddity's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shadowman16

Ishin is never getting released in English, so I'd recommend playing that (its excellent, and a nice change from the main numbered Yakuza games)

How does one in the west play Ishin? Mod their PS4? The concept is exactly what I want in a genre (feudal Japan) which is very underrepresented outside of Dynasty Warriors.
lucebuce12
Member
(02-24-2017, 05:06 AM)
lucebuce12's Avatar

Originally Posted by Etrian Oddity

How does one in the west play Ishin? Mod their PS4? The concept is exactly what I want in a genre (feudal Japan) which is very underrepresented outside of Dynasty Warriors.

Just get a copy of the game and put in to your PS4 same as always!! Games aren't region locked on the PS4, only DLC is and there's no worry of DLC for this game. There's also an easy way around that even if there was.

The game is still entirely in Japanese so you will need to consult a guide but here is a VERY comprehensive and well-made guide that explains everything or as close as one can get: http://www.khhsubs.com/projectsrggishin.html

You'll most likely have to import a copy of Ishin though as Western Retailers don't have it. Might I suggest play-asia.com
IrishNinja
(02-24-2017, 06:22 AM)
IrishNinja's Avatar
got my copy for like $30 on amazon! it's a viable option too, lotta JP resellers
Rizzi
Member
(02-24-2017, 08:46 AM)
Rizzi's Avatar

Originally Posted by lucebuce12

Just get a copy of the game and put in to your PS4 same as always!! Games aren't region locked on the PS4, only DLC is and there's no worry of DLC for this game. There's also an easy way around that even if there was.

The game is still entirely in Japanese so you will need to consult a guide but here is a VERY comprehensive and well-made guide that explains everything or as close as one can get: http://www.khhsubs.com/projectsrggishin.html

You'll most likely have to import a copy of Ishin though as Western Retailers don't have it. Might I suggest play-asia.com

It's available digitally, so you can just make a Japanese PSN account and buy a Japanese PSN wallet code if you want.
lucebuce12
Member
(02-24-2017, 09:12 AM)
lucebuce12's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rizzi

It's available digitally, so you can just make a Japanese PSN account and buy a Japanese PSN wallet code if you want.

Oh yes, also this. But I imagine you'd have to pay the full price while you can easily get a copy at a reduced price if you go physical.

Not entirely sure.
Young Magus
Member
(02-25-2017, 08:31 AM)
Young Magus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shadowman16

Ishin is never getting released in English, so I'd recommend playing that (its excellent, and a nice change from the main numbered Yakuza games).

6 has minor Pro upgrades. I think there is a resolution boost from 900p to 1080p (but I'm not sure on this), the frame rate is almost a solid 30FPS all the time and the screen tearing has been eliminated.

Yay!!
Will do!

Also remembered that I had a save from the Yakuza 6 demo so I booted me copy to fool around in the city a bit.

1.VF5 is nice!
2.Karaoke is still fun there's a song that's dedicated to Nishiki tho ;_;. It hits hard after playing 0 too

Originally Posted by lucebuce12

Oh yes, also this. But I imagine you'd have to pay the full price while you can easily get a copy at a reduced price if you go physical.

Not entirely sure.

The PSN version is discounted just like the new printed physical copies on amazon.

~¥4200
lucebuce12
Member
(02-25-2017, 08:33 AM)
lucebuce12's Avatar

Originally Posted by Young Magus

The PSN version is discounted just like the new printed physical copies on amazon.

~¥4200

Huh. Then I guess I kinda goofed by going physical instead of digital lol. Still though, great game and worth getting whichever way is easiest.
robotrock
Member
(02-25-2017, 08:34 AM)
robotrock's Avatar

Originally Posted by lucebuce12

Oh yes, also this. But I imagine you'd have to pay the full price while you can easily get a copy at a reduced price if you go physical.

Not entirely sure.

I printed out the big mega guide and put it in a neat binder. 200 glorious double sided color pages.

Now I just need to buy the game
Etrian Oddity
Member
(02-25-2017, 05:53 PM)
Etrian Oddity's Avatar

Originally Posted by robotrock

I printed out the big mega guide and put it in a neat binder. 200 glorious double sided color pages.

Now I just need to buy the game

Fucking love the avatar :P
Shadowman16
Member
(02-25-2017, 09:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Young Magus

Yay!!
Will do!

Also remembered that I had a save from the Yakuza 6 demo so I booted me copy to fool around in the city a bit.

1.VF5 is nice!
2.Karaoke is still fun there's a song that's dedicated to Nishiki tho ;_;. It hits hard after playing 0 too



The PSN version is discounted just like the new printed physical copies on amazon.

~¥4200

The Nishiki song was kinda disappointing for me, since its just the same one used in Kiwami if I'm remembering correctly. Nothing surprising as every game seems to take at least one song from previous games and includes it in the next game. I love the two new Kiryu songs in the game (as well as one of the songs you can sing with a couple of the hostesses. . I vastly prefer the way notes are laid out in Yakuza 6 compared to previous games, makes it much easier to see which buttons you need to press and when for Karaoke,
Skulldead
Member
(02-27-2017, 01:31 PM)
I'm about to finish Yakuza 2 i'm near the end i think (with a sidequest guide the game is freaking long).. The story is legit amazing. been a long time since i got hook on a storyline in a game. This is the festival of "surprise", they all make sense and everything just work. There only big golden palace that make 0 fucking sense in the game with shinobi and Tiger, everything else if amazing. I can't wait to boot yakuza 3.

Edit : Yakuza 2 done, that ending !! Time for post game content !
Last edited by Skulldead; 02-28-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Grim Patron
Member
(02-27-2017, 02:45 PM)
Grim Patron's Avatar
Ok ok...I did it.

Ordered Yakuza Ishin and downloaded the pdf.

Also ordered a JP copy of Y0 to add to my collection of Y0 stuff lol.

The store had only 1 copy of JP Yakuza 5 so im letting my friend have that.

Im so confused about Y3 and Y4. Feels weird paying ~45$ for a PS3 game when i dont have a PS3 anymore
chrominance
Member
(02-27-2017, 07:20 PM)
chrominance's Avatar
Hi YakuzaGAF! Decided to migrate to the community thread now that I'm knee-deep in Yakuza 5.

One thing I'll say is that it's really neat being back in modern-day Kamurocho and seeing how the place has changed from 0. It's been a while since I've played 4 and 0 is fresh in my mind, so I'd almost forgotten what the Millennium Tower looked like.

I'm in the middle? of the second part now and I think I see where some of the pacing complaints come in. After how the first part ends with Kiryu leaving town to deal with the Tojo Clan turmoil, I was expecting a bit of a breather, but Saejima's prison section is so different and constrained from the first part that I was surprised the developers were okay with the drastic shift in tone and pacing. I don't dislike it, and it's thrown enough twists at me so far that I don't really know what to expect, but I can't help feeling like the real action's happening elsewhere, especially now that Saejima's in the hunting village. Also, I want to see the rest of that Sapporo? map from the "image training" sessions--I assume you get to see the real thing later in the game because why sprinkle save points into inaccessible parts of the map?

Something else that's a little weird: it was really easy to clean up most of the side stuff in Fukuoka. Obviously I didn't do everything, but finishing all the taxi/race missions and the substories was surprisingly easy, and I got the food training done without realizing it. I wonder if that's an artifact of the game being split up into five parts that you might not return to, but I think I like the 0 approach better because you always knew you could come back later to do side stuff in Sotenbori/Kamurocho if you wanted, you didn't have to completely max out an area before moving on.

Anyways, I'm a bit surprised that I'm not totally burnt out on Yakuza after already playing 60 hours of 0, but I'm almost 20 hours into 5 and I almost don't want to stop to play Horizon instead.
Shadowman16
Member
(02-27-2017, 09:12 PM)
You'll hit Seijima's city in chapter 4 of his story. His part was paced rather weirdly with two chapters being in prison, when cutting some of the bloat from it could have condensed it into 1, to give you two chapters in the city instead of 1 (as there is a shit ton of stuff to do in the city).

You'll be able to go back to the cities in the final part of the game, but yeah the pacing is nowhere near as tight as in 0 (which perfected the multi protagonist approach to the game).
chrominance
Member
(02-27-2017, 09:58 PM)
chrominance's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shadowman16

You'll hit Seijima's city in chapter 4 of his story. His part was paced rather weirdly with two chapters being in prison, when cutting some of the bloat from it could have condensed it into 1, to give you two chapters in the city instead of 1 (as there is a shit ton of stuff to do in the city).

You'll be able to go back to the cities in the final part of the game, but yeah the pacing is nowhere near as tight as in 0 (which perfected the multi protagonist approach to the game).

Huh. I honestly wasn't sure if they'd try to cram three locations into a single part (especially given how big the mountain appears to be, but I guess that's what's happening. It would make sense given the plot so far, I assumed him and Baba would get there right after the prison break so they could find Kitakawa.
cj_iwakura
Member
(02-28-2017, 02:07 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
I was already spoiled on this if it's true, so it's not a big deal, but could someone kindly confirm a Yakuza 6 thing?

Again, Y6 spoilers:


So that really is Haruka's actual kid? Blows my mind.
Gacha-pin
Member
(02-28-2017, 03:59 AM)
Gacha-pin's Avatar
Blow your mind.

The parent-child relationship is the main theme of 6. You will see various stories of it during the game. Kiryu and Haruka, Haruka and the baby etc...Some are real parent and kid and some are not real but tied like real parent and kid. .I don't know how Yakuza organization structure is translated into English and explained. But it's is also in the parent-child form. Daigo is the father of Tojo clan and each member of the clan is his child.
Last edited by Gacha-pin; 02-28-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Skulldead
Member
(03-13-2017, 01:00 PM)
Yakuza 3 done, less epic ending then Y2, but it was still very good.iI did all the side stories with Amon secret boss fight, happy to see the pre-requiement for this boss is not as insane as Yakuza 2. It was a really challenging experience overall on hard mode (last VR-7 was insane challenging).

Reach part 2 of Yakuza 4 now... side story are way better and useful in story line in this one, the only thing i don't like i feel they ease a lot the random encounter on hard, they don't block as often they because much trivial. A chance boss fight are still somewhat challenging.
deadfolk
Member
(03-13-2017, 01:36 PM)
deadfolk's Avatar
Finally finished Yakuza 5 last night, clocking in at 114 hours.

I'm really going to find it difficult to play Y0 after this. Obviously, I'll wait a good while, but there was something that bothered me really badly and has soured me on it.

Going under spoiler tags for the rest of this. Spoilers only for Y5:

It was the Jo Amon fight. Seriously the most frustrated I have ever been with a game. Totally failed to beat it even on Easy with 20 Staminan Sparks. I could slowly whittle him down using parries and grabs for a while, but when he starts with the fire, I'm totally unable to avoid damage and totally unable to hurt him further.

Eventually skipped it, and it's the only side-quest I didn't finish. It bummed me out so badly, I forgot to go and do the final hostess stuff afterwards. Then after finishing, I see there's no ability to go back and clean up quests post-game. I could have sworn that was in earlier games, but I must have been mistaken.

I feel totally useless. I even watched a youtube vid of someone defeating Jo Amon and it was like I was watching a different game. He just continually dodged and kicked, and the blows were largely getting through without being blocked. He only got caught once (I think) in the flames. I just don't understand how I failed so badly when the video makes it look so easy.

No other fight in the game gave me any issues at all.

I know I'm not particularly good at games, but this is insane. I finished 1-4 with no issues like this at all. I'm almost scared to play any other games now, because the whole experience of this fight was so frustrating I came close to just deleting the game. I'm pretty sure that if it had been physical, I would have snapped the disc.
Son Of Sparda
Member
(03-13-2017, 05:52 PM)
Son Of Sparda's Avatar

Originally Posted by deadfolk

Finally finished Yakuza 5 last night, clocking in at 114 hours.

I'm really going to find it difficult to play Y0 after this. Obviously, I'll wait a good while, but there was something that bothered me really badly and has soured me on it.

Going under spoiler tags for the rest of this. Spoilers only for Y5:

It was the Jo Amon fight. Seriously the most frustrated I have ever been with a game. Totally failed to beat it even on Easy with 20 Staminan Sparks. I could slowly whittle him down using parries and grabs for a while, but when he starts with the fire, I'm totally unable to avoid damage and totally unable to hurt him further.

Eventually skipped it, and it's the only side-quest I didn't finish. It bummed me out so badly, I forgot to go and do the final hostess stuff afterwards. Then after finishing, I see there's no ability to go back and clean up quests post-game. I could have sworn that was in earlier games, but I must have been mistaken.

I feel totally useless. I even watched a youtube vid of someone defeating Jo Amon and it was like I was watching a different game. He just continually dodged and kicked, and the blows were largely getting through without being blocked. He only got caught once (I think) in the flames. I just don't understand how I failed so badly when the video makes it look so easy.

No other fight in the game gave me any issues at all.

I know I'm not particularly good at games, but this is insane. I finished 1-4 with no issues like this at all. I'm almost scared to play any other games now, because the whole experience of this fight was so frustrating I came close to just deleting the game. I'm pretty sure that if it had been physical, I would have snapped the disc.

Two words: Tiger Drop
deadfolk
Member
(03-13-2017, 05:55 PM)
deadfolk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Son Of Sparda

Two words: Tiger Drop

Interesting. That might be what the guy was doing in the vid. Thanks - I'll give that a try.
Son Of Sparda
Member
(03-13-2017, 06:12 PM)
Son Of Sparda's Avatar

Originally Posted by deadfolk

Interesting. That might be what the guy was doing in the vid. Thanks - I'll give that a try.

Honestly it makes the fight an absolute joke. Just get the timing right and you'll wreck him with ease.
Bansai
Member
(03-13-2017, 06:15 PM)
Bansai's Avatar
Not sure if this is news or old news, but KHHsubs opened a patreon, I didn't know that, shit. I think I'm gonna chime in hoping he's gonna continue translating Ishin cutscenes and adding subs to them, Kenzan was perfectly playable because of that for me.
poipoipoi9
Member
(03-18-2017, 03:51 PM)
poipoipoi9's Avatar
Out of curiosity, has Sonic ever made a cameo in the series? Since this is such a SEGA-laden game, one would expect their mascot to appear in some form.
lucebuce12
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:13 AM)
lucebuce12's Avatar
Just realized the voice of Akiyama voices the protagonist in Catherine (JPN voice).
cj_iwakura
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:14 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by lucebuce12

Just realized the voice of Akiyama voices the protagonist in Catherine (JPN voice).

Nice. As good as Troy Baker is as Vincent, he never topped that scream that Yamadera did in the sizzle reel.

(And trying to top Kotono Mitsuishi as Katherine was impossible for anyone to attempt.)
xezuru
Member
(03-21-2017, 03:16 AM)
xezuru's Avatar
I totally thought Oda in Y0 was Akiyama as well. Voices are slightly different but they have the EXACT fucking speech patterns/tendencies and that fucking Akiyama tone of "wheeeeelp" -> blahblahblah bullshit. hohoho
Shadowman16
Member
(03-21-2017, 07:03 PM)

Originally Posted by poipoipoi9

Out of curiosity, has Sonic ever made a cameo in the series? Since this is such a SEGA-laden game, one would expect their mascot to appear in some form.

Not really. Bar a couple of very small posters/leaflets in the Sega Arcade in a couple of the titles the Sonic characters are nowhere to be seen (from what I can remember), heck even in Yakuza 5 where you could get multiple Sega character toys from the crane game there were no Sonic characters to be had.

Originally Posted by lucebuce12

Just realized the voice of Akiyama voices the protagonist in Catherine (JPN voice).

Kiryu's voice actor also voices Hanzo in Koei's Samurai Warriors/Warriors Orochi games. I've been playing WO3 a lot lately and its always strangely soothing to hear his voice when he appears! Plus it helps Hanzo is a badass as well!

Not sure but I also think he might have voiced one of the baddies in the Kamen Rider (Batrider) series on the PS3, or someone that sounds very similar.
Last edited by Shadowman16; 03-21-2017 at 07:05 PM.
IrishNinja
(03-21-2017, 10:17 PM)
IrishNinja's Avatar

Originally Posted by lucebuce12

Just realized the voice of Akiyama voices the protagonist in Catherine (JPN voice).

need to go find that whoah.gif for this
Son Of Sparda
Member
(03-21-2017, 11:14 PM)
Son Of Sparda's Avatar

Originally Posted by lucebuce12

Just realized the voice of Akiyama voices the protagonist in Catherine (JPN voice).

Wow. Then I may have to go back and play that game with Japanese voices once more.
Stronginthearm
Member
(03-22-2017, 06:35 PM)
Stronginthearm's Avatar
Just bought Yakuza 5, and I haven't beaten Yakuza 3 or 4 yet. I have a weakness for sales and Yakuza games.
deadfolk
Member
(03-22-2017, 10:17 PM)
deadfolk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Son Of Sparda

Two words: Tiger Drop

Just did it. First attempt. Thanks so much!
Tizoc
Member
(03-29-2017, 05:44 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar


I made it guys.
Shadowman16
Member
(03-30-2017, 08:26 AM)

Originally Posted by Tizoc



I made it guys.

Nice :) Now grab the PSP games! (and a physical release of RGG5 just for completeness sake!)
Tizoc
Member
(03-30-2017, 08:46 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shadowman16

Nice :) Now grab the PSP games! (and a physical release of RGG5 just for completeness sake!)

Nah don't think I will but I do hope the PSP RGG games get fan translated fully someday.
Son Of Sparda
Member
(03-30-2017, 12:38 PM)
Son Of Sparda's Avatar

Originally Posted by deadfolk

Just did it. First attempt. Thanks so much!

Happy to help :)

Originally Posted by Tizoc



I made it guys.

That's a very nice collection, Tizoc.

Thread Tools