• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

IchigoSharingan
(05-20-2017, 04:14 AM)
I would not tolerate being yelled at by any boss.

I would walk out immediately. That's just unprofessional and with my talents I don't exactly have trouble finding a new job.
Rodney McKay
(05-20-2017, 04:14 AM)
I had a boss threaten to fire me over something trivial. I originally was planning on quitting in the middle of my performance review (which was happening just a week or two after this guy had started), but I calmed down and remembered it's always best to find a job first, and THEN quit.

In the end, he "left" the company after a he got reported to HR from several people in the office and didn't show any signs of improving. Dude was just a Grade A POS. Bragged about his $10K+ entertainment room which had chairs so comfy he couldn't finish any movies because he'd always fall asleep, talked about his dates during meetings, aggressively and constantly was trying to upsell clients (even in the middle of uncomfortable meetings where we were trying to ask for more money or explaining why things were behind schedule) but they all saw through him and we got NO extra business while he was in charge.

Just about every kind of employee you could have worked there in the year I was there. Had a really nice PM that helped us deal with our shitty boss, had a guy who basically bullshitted his way through his job and didn't really know anything (actually had two of those), had a guy who couldn't handle ANY kind of pressure or criticism and once left work in the middle of a meeting due to something completely innocuous (he also didn't believe the Ice Age happened, that was a fun work lunch where he announced that for no reason).

Such a rollercoaster job to have gotten as my first real after college job, haha. At least I was only there for a year before I got something better.
Last edited by Rodney McKay; 05-20-2017 at 04:25 AM.
Linkura
(05-20-2017, 04:15 AM)
My boss yelled at me a couple times over really stupid shit. One of the reasons I put in my notice this week (that, some serious risk issues at this place, and I found a new job). I mentioned that one of the reasons I'm leaving is because she's yelled at me (and I gave a specific example of one completely ridiculous incident) and she claimed she never did. The next day at the directors' meeting, says to the whole group that if she gets upset and it bothers us, that we need to let her know. Obviously because she was completely blindsided by me leaving. And then after the meeting, she apologized to me. Too little, too late.
SummitAve
(05-20-2017, 04:15 AM)
That would be like one of those movie moments I play out in my head where I get to spring out a perfectly scripted rant to my unsuspecting boss who thought he was going to step on me. In real life, that shit would never happen, nor would I ever stand for it. It's unprofessional and straight up childish. That applies less to situations where your boss is your friend or you simply have that kind of personal relationship because you both have skin in the same game.
Mohonky
(05-20-2017, 04:16 AM)
Stay calm and let them blow iff whatever tgeir whinge is then explain to them when they have calmed down yelling isnt a good communication tool and less likely to get results.

If they want to kick up a shit about it I would take note of it
Kthulhu
(05-20-2017, 04:18 AM)

Originally Posted by jackissocool

Unionize

I live in Texas son. That shit ain't happening. Plus I don't feel it's at the extent that it's worth it.

The job is far from ideal, but it ain't so bad I feel that I need to organize.

Originally Posted by Vengal

Sometimes you need to sit back and evaluate your situation. Is your IT group internal or external? Are you a contractor, is your boss a contractor? Is you department part of its own budget or framed like a service provided to the company where your budget is collected from slices of other departments budgets.

Getting yelled at sucks but IT is largely a service based role within a company. In service the customer tends to be always right and feel like they have the right to mistreat you.

My first IT job I made the mistake of trying to correct a guy about a name change in our system which impacted response time for account creation. I should have just shut my trap and not tried to correct the man because I was treated to a very long yelling session.

Internalize stuff and problem solve the situation. Is it with you engaging the person and escalating things or do you let them vent and wait for them to get vile and violent then report them to HR. One benefit of that first job I had was every call is recorded. So I didn't get in trouble when he tried to throw me under the bus but I was told next time just to let it go.

This was very helpful, thank you.
Mahonay
(05-20-2017, 04:19 AM)
Empty stare with no reaction. That shit doesn't work on me.
Dracula's Nether Region
(05-20-2017, 04:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Mohonky

Stay calm and let them blow iff whatever tgeir whinge is then explain to them when they have calmed down yelling isnt a good communication tool and less likely to get results.

If they want to kick up a shit about it I would take note of it

So you've successfully 'corrected' your bosses behavior by giving him a leadership 101 lesson? I mean if OP's boss is an ass then I don't think you want to attempt to school them.
I could see if they became irrationally hotheaded and it was uncharacteristic, then perhaps in a better mood they could reflect and you yourself express discomfort. But some places you either suck it up or move on.
the_batman
(05-20-2017, 04:23 AM)
Can't you report it to HR
Knuckle Sandwich
(05-20-2017, 04:24 AM)
I just let her yammer and then tell our supervisor about it and he scolds her.
King Gilga
(05-20-2017, 04:25 AM)

Originally Posted by johnsmith

I've never been yelled at at work. This is not normal. It sounds like a toxic work environment. Look for a new job.

This this this.
Kthulhu
(05-20-2017, 04:27 AM)

Originally Posted by the_batman

Can't you report it to HR

Dude is in an untouchable position unfortunately. His division was born out of a company that was acquired by mine (we own 50% of his company, he owns the rest). The owners probably would've fired him a long time ago if they could've.
Mohonky
(05-20-2017, 04:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Dracula's Nether Region

So you've successfully 'corrected' your bosses behavior by giving him a leadership 101 lesson? I mean if OP's boss is an ass then I don't think you want to attempt to school them.
I could see if they became irrationally hotheaded and it was uncharacteristic, then perhaps in a better mood they could reflect and you yourself express discomfort. But some places you either suck it up or move on.

You would exercise some judgement would you not?

If its a frequent occurance, go to HR or someone higher and report it. If its a one off, let it go and communicate with them about it later if it upset you.

No 100% rule on the way you go about it.
Kthulhu
(05-20-2017, 04:30 AM)

Originally Posted by johnsmith

I've never been yelled at at work. This is not normal. It sounds like a toxic work environment. Look for a new job.

It's just him. Everyone else there is great/tolerable.
the_batman
(05-20-2017, 04:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Kthulhu

Dude is in an untouchable position unfortunately. His division was born out of a company that was acquired by mine (we own 50% of his company, he owns the rest). The owners probably would've fired him a long time ago if they could've.

Slip some xanax into his coffee
soldat7
(05-20-2017, 04:41 AM)
Give him a copy of this (after you read it first):

...and then quit.
Kthulhu
(05-20-2017, 04:42 AM)

Originally Posted by the_batman

Slip some xanax into his coffee

Lol. That'd actually be funny to see. But nah, I ain't gonna do that.
keuja
(05-20-2017, 04:42 AM)
No one yells at me. Bosses, colleagues, CEO, customers whatever. Like I would never yell at anyone. It is about respect.