• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Kysen
(05-14-2017, 02:00 AM)

Originally Posted by PackAPunchedMick

I recently sold a PS4 on eBay.
Things went smoothly, got £140 for it, posted it, received the cash via PayPal.
Spent the money, 3 weeks later I was issued a refund request because the item was faulty.

Fuck eBay and it's "protect the buyer" bullshit.

Wow I was about to list my console as well, guess I shouldn't.
Hale-XF11
(05-14-2017, 02:01 AM)
It's never a good idea to put a console on ebay.
PastorOfMuppets
(05-14-2017, 03:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Seirith

You cannot refuse to sell to "low feedback" buyers. I have lots of 0 feedback buyers,many are guest accounts and have no issues with them.

You can. It's hidden behind a bunch of menus but you can do things like set buyer requirements like a minimum feedback score or block buyers who have had multiple violations of eBay policies.

I haven't needed to do this but if you're selling electronic items which are probably the biggest risk of this happening to, it's worth looking into.

I sell collector's items and memorabilia so I'm never gonna get in trouble for something "not working." Pretty much everything I sell is to be put up on display and not much else.
Yoda
(05-14-2017, 03:30 AM)
Try craiglist or even facebook before eBay. eBay is a nightmare if the buyer is a douche, and eBay has a habit of siding with douches.
PastorOfMuppets
(05-14-2017, 03:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Kysen

Wow I was about to list my console as well, guess I shouldn't.

Yeah if you're selling a console or anything electronic, I would say look into doing it locally or via a hobby specific site like Neogaf. I would hesitate to even sell sealed electronics on eBay because I question why someone would want to buy a sealed item from a dude on eBay when they can do it at a store and get a warranty and return options.
ZombiePlatypus
(05-14-2017, 03:37 AM)
When you guys say "consoles/electronics are risky" I'm assuming that includes stuff like physical 3DS/PS3 games huh?
karasu
Likes his fat guys jiggly
(05-14-2017, 03:45 AM)
shit. gonna cancel my auction now lol
friskykillface
(05-14-2017, 03:47 AM)
It's not that bad tbh
Always use tracking when shipping though
Use signature confirmation for users with low feedback
Sorry to those outside the USA but avoid shipping outside the USA, way to easy to scam

Always make the buyer pay for shipping, shipping can add up.
LincolnSixEcho
(05-14-2017, 07:39 AM)
I've been an occasional buyer and seller over the past 15 years. Problems have been rare, and I don't recall ever being scammed as a seller. Recently I was scammed with a counterfeit micro sd card, but buyer protection sorted that out. I still like eBay for both purposes.

One of my bigger transactions as a seller was my GameCube collection last year, over $600 was made from that. No problems. I took clear photos, and provided tracking numbers for everything.
Last edited by LincolnSixEcho; 05-14-2017 at 07:41 AM.
satriales
(05-14-2017, 08:02 AM)
I sold a couple of things on ebay recently and got more than I expected for them without any problems from the buyers. However, the ebay and Paypal fees were stupidly high so I won't be selling anything else there.
cruets
(05-14-2017, 08:09 AM)
i've been selling seriously on ebay full time for the last three years. over 3000 sales using buy it now selling 80-150 items a month

i've maybe been scammed once every 6 months. ebay isnt bad as people say i feel. i sell used stuff from estate sales. vintage electronics, games, collectibles toys whatever.
nerdstick
(05-14-2017, 08:24 AM)
In years of selling hundreds of items I've only been scammed twice; both for low value items without tracking codes. One was an item not as described complaint that was obvious in advance because they sent a message shortly after buying that sounded as though they clearly weren't right in the head, but I took the chance and honored the sale. If they sound crazy, be cautious. I sighed and refunded them right away.

Second scam was a chargeback a month after the sale. I had no tracking (it was literally a $2 item) so I couldn't contest it by proving I shipped it, and Paypal charged me a /$25/ chargeback fee. Huge jerk to not just ask for a refund, and cost me more than 10x what he got back.

So, needless to say, the lesson here is the same advice everyone else is giving: ALWAYS include tracking, don't sell high-value electronics and you shouldn't run into any trouble.
Seirith
(05-14-2017, 01:19 PM)
Nevermind. Mispost.
Last edited by Seirith; 05-14-2017 at 01:25 PM.
tearsintherain
(05-14-2017, 05:01 PM)
So ironically got another scam today on my account, same thing as every other time. I sold a couple of digital DLC codes I got for pre ordering a game, sold each for $9.99 (there were two). Sold them nearly 25 days ago. Just got an email today from paypal saying one of the sales has been disputed, and the buyer has filed a chargeback.

It'll take 10-30 days for it to resolve, but I am 100% sure it will resolve in the buyers side AND I will get charged an extra $20 because it was run as a chargeback (credit card dispute). To be fair, I didn't send a tracking number since I emailed the code to the buyer, but I have in the past sent a tracking code (for a physical copy of a game) and still got hit with the reversal, but not the chargeback fee.

Nothing I can do either, its all automated shit, I don't think anyone actually reads anything if I try to explain, and it just sucks. All over a $10 ebay transaction too, this wasn't some crazy $500 iPhone or Nintendo Switch.

Nothing crazy about the buyer too, verified address, they had dozens of eBay buys in the past, etc. Nothing to ever warn me before hand that I should cancel the auction.
Amory
(05-14-2017, 05:10 PM)
eBay fees are ridiculous, and then you have to pay to ship the thing on top of that. Plus there's always a chance the buyer scams you and claims they didn't get whatever they bought, and PayPal is very pro buyer in dispute cases

I try to sell things locally or use the GAF BST thread if at all possible.
Ashhong
(05-14-2017, 05:14 PM)
If you tell me what you want to sell I can tell you how you could be scammed. There is always a way.

It kind of depends on what kind of items you have. The more popular ones have a higher chance of attracting scammers.

Originally Posted by tearsintherain

So ironically got another scam today on my account, same thing as every other time. I sold a couple of digital DLC codes I got for pre ordering a game, sold each for $9.99 (there were two). Sold them nearly 25 days ago. Just got an email today from paypal saying one of the sales has been disputed, and the buyer has filed a chargeback.

It'll take 10-30 days for it to resolve, but I am 100% sure it will resolve in the buyers side AND I will get charged an extra $20 because it was run as a chargeback (credit card dispute). To be fair, I didn't send a tracking number since I emailed the code to the buyer, but I have in the past sent a tracking code (for a physical copy of a game) and still got hit with the reversal, but not the chargeback fee.

Nothing I can do either, its all automated shit, I don't think anyone actually reads anything if I try to explain, and it just sucks. All over a $10 ebay transaction too, this wasn't some crazy $500 iPhone or Nintendo Switch.

Nothing crazy about the buyer too, verified address, they had dozens of eBay buys in the past, etc. Nothing to ever warn me before hand that I should cancel the auction.

Last I checked you can't sell digital codes on eBay and be protected. I used to sell digital codes for iTunes and got scammed quite often. What I did was ship one code in the mail and get delivery confirmation. I then scanned the confirmation to my PC, and would edit the delivery address whenever someone tried to do a chargeback and submit to paypal. Worked every time. Theoretically I could have used this to be a scammer, but I didn't, just for the record lol.
Last edited by Ashhong; 05-14-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Nokagi
(05-14-2017, 05:19 PM)

Originally Posted by ZombiePlatypus

When you guys say "consoles/electronics are risky" I'm assuming that includes stuff like physical 3DS/PS3 games huh?

Games are fine. I sell games all the time with no problem. Consoles could be considered risky. Could be. Doesn't mean you will have problems but the higher priced something is I'd say the more the risk goes up.
GregLombardi
(05-14-2017, 05:20 PM)
Yes. It's horrifying. Their fees are astronomical.
AstroNut325
(05-14-2017, 05:21 PM)
I've never had issues selling. There's a big number of buyers there so items can sell fairly quickly.
Alex Anderson
(05-14-2017, 05:21 PM)

I've sold hundreds and hundreds of games, most sub $100 over the years on both eBay and Amazon and can think of maybe two instances where I had a problem with being scammed.

Once on Amazon a customer sent a game back keyed to hell. I'm just thinking what the hell why? Did it not work for him and he was just pissed off?

And another where a customer claimed to not get an item that showed delivered. I googled their info and found convictions for fraud and stuff. I think I may have just eaten the loss on that one or Amazon covered it for me. I wasn't about to tell Amazon I looked up info on the customer in case that violated any if their rules or whatever.

I've just heard too many horror stories about selling used consoles or phones online to ever try selling those. Something that's in demand like an NES Classic or a new DS or 2ds around Christmastime yes. But still consoles, phones, textbooks would be the things I'd most be concerned about.
CadetMahoney
(05-14-2017, 11:19 PM)

Originally Posted by GregLombardi

Yes. It's horrifying. Their fees are astronomical.

This is what puts me off as much as potential scams.

How does craiglist fair for electronic goods and components (CPU's/Cards)? There's no protection and you're not gonna invite strangers to your house to check they're actually working. If you've got a bicycle for sale they can check the goods there and then at a meet point so I can see those goods being readily available for sale.

Forum B/S/T threads are similar to ebay in a way in that there are feedback and reputation on top of paypal protection etc.
peteykirch
(05-14-2017, 11:22 PM)
I just can't stand people with expectations that can never be met.

I was selling some old Star Wars stuff from when I was little, and some of it was beat up pretty badly.

I would upload 15-20 pictures for each listing, that would have the thing documented from every angle.

I had someone complain that the quality of the item didn't meet their expectations.
The Artisan
(05-14-2017, 11:27 PM)
i mean, i don't think it's supposed to be. i always buy shit on ebay. and i obviously wouldn't do that as a buyer, if i didn't think much of the integrity of the sellers.

of course, i usually only buy from sellers that have good rep. buyers and sellers both have it
katsubento
(05-14-2017, 11:49 PM)
I used to sell on ebay all the time, but I stopped in 2012 or so. It just isn't the same. It used to be a much more personal experience between the buyer and seller. And with the added scam city it now is, it's just not worth it as a seller.
ZOONAMI
(05-15-2017, 12:06 AM)
In my experience Amazon is much less of a hassle. Never had any issues with buyers on Amazon but eBay is rife with people buying with a shipping forwarding service who don't seem to understand I don't want to ship an expensive item internationally. These forwarding services are rife with scams too.

I wouldn't sell anything worth more than $100 on eBay.
x Power Pad Death Stomp x
(05-15-2017, 12:15 AM)
eBay has their "international" program now where you just ship it to their place in Kentucky and they consider that as delivered and they handle everything from there to the other country. I just sold some MST3K box sets that way and they haven't left feedback yet, though eBay marked it as delivered.
Chibot
(05-15-2017, 12:40 AM)
EBay isn't quite as bad for sellers as it's current reputation might make you believe. I sell hundreds of items a year and only tend to run into a few problem buyers in that time. As long as you list and describe your items carefully and honestly, with good photos, you should be fine. Obviously, you must ship with tracking.

Selling internationally used to be a real problem and over the years I was I was ripped off on several big-ticket items. However, now that their global shipping program is available the risk is no greater, and perhaps less than, shipping within the US. You send an item to an eBay distribution facility and they send it along from there. You can also block buyers from countries not on the global shipping list.
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(05-15-2017, 12:54 AM)

Originally Posted by katsubento

I used to sell on ebay all the time, but I stopped in 2012 or so. It just isn't the same. It used to be a much more personal experience between the buyer and seller. And with the added scam city it now is, it's just not worth it as a seller.

Were you getting scammed constantly or something?
I've sold on and off since the pre-PayPal days of mailing money orders and had maybe two bad issues in all that time.
Lemaitre
(05-15-2017, 12:58 AM)
I've sold over twenty items on Ebay and have never had any issues with any buyer. How long do you guys put your auctions for? I always do a seven day auction so maybe that's why most of my buyers aren't douches?
Koppai
(05-15-2017, 01:12 AM)
I sold an NES Classic, Pro Controller, Joycons, and several games over the past few weeks without any issues. I listed most of the same stuff here and sold most of it on ebay for more than the average. You can block people who have negative feedback from bidding [ex. Unpaid item strikes]
Last edited by Koppai; 05-15-2017 at 01:19 AM.
ZombiePlatypus
(05-20-2017, 03:46 AM)
So reading all the replies here, and input from others, I think I'm gonna stick with ebay, just make sure to adhere and include:
  • Required signiture
  • Priority Shipping
  • Tracking number
  • Insurance
  • Pictures with date and my username in the pic of the product from multiple angles

What do you guys recommend to ship with though? USPS? Fedex? UPS? DHL?
Mozendo
(05-20-2017, 04:13 AM)
I sold my old graphics card on eBay, I listed it for United States only and had a buyer.
Long story short the buyer used a parcel forwarder to ship it to Denmark, claimed I shipped a faulty fan with the graphics card and got to keep the money/$100 despite me asking for my graphics card back. eBay didn't give two shits he used a parcel forwarder despite my listing requirements.

eBay is a fucking joke when you're the seller and the buyer scams you. I still get emails saying I have to refund the guy which isn't going to happen.
Last edited by Mozendo; 05-20-2017 at 08:10 AM.
McLovin
(05-20-2017, 04:20 AM)
That sites been garbage for a long time. I would avoid
Redd
(05-20-2017, 04:25 AM)
Never had any problems selling my electronics on Craigslist. No way for the buyer to chargeback.
Soka
(05-20-2017, 04:26 AM)

So reading all the replies here, and input from others, I think I'm gonna stick with ebay, just make sure to adhere and include:

• Required signiture
  • Priority Shipping
  • Tracking number
  • Insurance
  • Pictures with date and my username in the pic of the product from multiple angles

What do you guys recommend to ship with though? USPS? Fedex? UPS? DHL?

I use USPS and go through eBay because they provide a small discount on shipping. If you plan to do a lot of selling, get a small postal scale off of Amazon for like $20. It'll pay for itself eventually.
Gravidee
(05-20-2017, 04:47 AM)
I sold my first item and just mailed it with no tracking. Am I screwed if something goes wrong?
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(05-20-2017, 11:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Gravidee

I sold my first item and just mailed it with no tracking. Am I screwed if something goes wrong?

Yes.
Why wouldn't you have added tracking?
Downhome
(05-22-2017, 07:39 PM)
To answer the OP, no, eBay is just fine and I highly recommend it to both buyers and sellers. If you use it correctly, use your head, and do your research then you will be absolutely fine. I've been selling on eBay since 1998 and kicked it into high gear just over a year ago and my wife is getting ready to quit her job to stay home with our first child due in July and will be picking up our eBay store to do that as our other source of income.

I'm not saying there aren't "scammers", there are, but it isn't nearly to the level like so many people make it out to be. There are a lot of morons that go on YouTube and make fake videos about them getting scammed as well. All I know is that I'm a member of a number of reselling groups, and those of us that do it and take it serious and know what we are doing it is not very common that we ever encounter actual scammers. I've had 750 transactions in the last year on eBay, I've sold a wide variety of different items including games, electronics and clothing and I haven't been "scammed" a single time.
Last edited by Downhome; 05-22-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Nielm
(05-22-2017, 07:40 PM)
I've sold an Apple iPod Classic 6th Generation 160GB and an Xbox One with 5 games.

No issues at all.
Vincent Alexander
(05-22-2017, 07:42 PM)
I used to sell on Ebay all the time. I like it. Only stopped because Amazon fees were lower, and overall much less of a hassle. I've recently started to dislike Amazon as well, simply because of it's bullshit reseller policies, which I imagine, or rather hope, is forced on them. For instance,I couldn't resell my PS4 on Amazon because I wasn't an authorized Sony seller. The Last Guardian as well. Dragonball Xenoverse 2....not Bandai certified.
Downhome
(05-22-2017, 07:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Vincent Alexander

I used to sell on Ebay all the time. I like it. Only stopped because Amazon fees were lower, and overall much less of a hassle. I've recently started to dislike Amazon as well, simply because of it's bullshit reseller policies, which I imagine, or rather hope, is forced on them. For instance,I couldn't resell my PS4 on Amazon because I wasn't an authorized Sony seller. The Last Guardian as well. Dragonball Xenoverse 2....not Bandai certified.

I had been selling as merchant fulfilled for years on Amazon then last year I started trying FBA and loved it. I went bonkers buying things for Amazon, then they changed multiple things making it much harder. You couldn't send this and that, they changed it to where they charged long term storage fees for each individual item (when they used to do it just if you sent them more than one of something) and so on. I slashed the prices on everything I had sent to them and unloaded most of it.

I believe Amazon is doing this on purpose to phase out the vast majority of all MF and FBA sellers. It was great for years, I hear FBA was amazing for a few years, but it isn't what it was and it's not even close anymore.

Right now I'm all eBay and the other sites I can sync my eBay items to such as Bonanza and TrueGether.
BotoxAgent
(05-22-2017, 08:01 PM)
I buy vintage and recent games from Ebay. But I always open up the cartridge to the check if it's legit when i get it.
Joe
(05-22-2017, 08:04 PM)
My personal 3 tips from over a decade of selling on eBay:

• Don't sell electronics (tablets, phones, and computers especially) on eBay. Period.
  • If you sell a collectible make sure that you describe the condition completely and honestly, and take lots of pictures.
  • Only sell within your country (crossing borders opens up more potential holes for scams and lengthens the investigation and recovery processes).
These guidelines will save you 99% of potential headaches.

The occasional scammer or customer-headache that you encounter after this is worth the access to the massive amount of customers on the site (in my opinion).
Arttemis
(05-22-2017, 08:05 PM)
I'm terrified of being ripped off, and I rarely get as much as I'd hoped.

I hate eBay.
SatoAilDarko
(05-22-2017, 08:10 PM)
Where's the best place to sell a brand new, unopened Galaxy S8 from T-Mobile?
Downhome
(05-22-2017, 08:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Joe

[*]Only sell within your country (crossing borders opens up more potential holes for scams and lengthens the investigation and recovery processes)

I used to agree with this 100% but I don't anymore. Once they started the Global Shipping Program, and continue to expand it, it has been amazing. I sell multiple items internationally a week now and it's so easy. You just ship to the eBay location in Kentucky and once it is delivered there you are off the hook and eBay takes all blame after that point. I have had one or two GSP packages where the buyer wanted to return it for this or that reason and eBay even took care of that by giving the buyer their money back, I kept the money they paid me and sometimes the buyer even gets to keep the item. If an item gets lost on the way after it leaves the states then eBay takes care of everyone. If you ship through the GSP it is pretty much a sell within your own country.
Joe
(05-22-2017, 08:16 PM)

Originally Posted by SatoAilDarko

Where's the best place to sell a brand new, unopened Galaxy S8 from T-Mobile?

Craigslist, in-person, at a monitored and safe transaction area. Any other situation just opens the door to scams or worse.

Originally Posted by Downhome

I used to agree with this 100% but I don't anymore. Once they started the Global Shipping Program, and continue to expand it, it has been amazing. I sell multiple items internationally a week now and it's so easy. You just ship to the eBay location in Kentucky and once it is delivered there you are off the hook and eBay takes all blame after that point. I have had one or two GSP packages where the buyer wanted to return it for this or that reason and eBay even took care of that by giving the buyer their money back, I kept the money they paid me and sometimes the buyer even gets to keep the item. If an item gets lost on the way after it leaves the states then eBay takes care of everyone. If you ship through the GSP it is pretty much a sell within your own country.

Hmmmm, thanks. I may have to check this out.
LiK
(05-22-2017, 08:21 PM)
I've never had any real issues with buyers selling on eBay. One guy complained about condition but I explained it very clearly and he eventually gave me positive feedback. Most buyers have been very understandable from my experience. It's been fine for me.

As long as you clearly state the item descriptions, restrict certain types of buyers from buying in the preferences and also make sure to have tracking on your packages, you should be fine. I also only use eBay to send and receive messages. I never allow the buyers to ask me to communicate outside of it. eBay uses eBay messaging to investigate communication between parties if there's a dispute. It's solid proof.

Originally Posted by Downhome

I'll need to consider this. Been avoiding it but if eBay takes all the blame, I'm gonna jump onto this to get rid of more stuff.
Brandon F
(05-22-2017, 08:21 PM)
Used eBay far more like a decade ago and never had any issues selling. Last year I sold about four items on eBay, almost every one of them ran into an issue from scammers.

Thankfully the most stressful case was ruled in my favor as a seller(after providing eBay the tracking info and some email correspondence from the illicit buyer at auction end proving their guilt). Still, it was absurd how easy it was for a scammer buyer to rip funds away so quickly and cause such strain over a completed transaction even nearly a month after the fact.

The other issues involved scammers hijacking auctions or bids at the last possible second with no rating accounts and other obvious red-flag issues to work around to find proper buyers.

I have a few items I am trying to get rid of, but haven't considered using eBay anymore. It really feels like a cancer has taken over.
enewtabie
(05-22-2017, 08:24 PM)
Been selling on ebay since 2013. Just a few issues overall. One scam, where the guy said someone used his account. Showed ebay all the tracking and they ruled in my favor. I'm thinking about trying Amazon trade in to get rid of my Wii U and games.