• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

jelly
Member
(05-19-2017, 08:57 PM)
jelly's Avatar
Ministers daughter. No fun or privacy allowed.
Symphonia
Member
(05-19-2017, 08:59 PM)
Symphonia's Avatar
And I bet people will still argue the case that May is the best thing to happen to Britain in a long time. Stupid fucking cunt, when will she get the hint no-one likes her and just fuck off and die?
Cyanity
Member
(05-19-2017, 09:00 PM)
Cyanity's Avatar
I'm terrified at the state of the world right now
oti
Member
(05-19-2017, 09:02 PM)
oti's Avatar

Originally Posted by jelly

Ministers daughter. No fun or privacy allowed.

Yeah. So here are some pictures of Merkel, a minister's daughter, posing with drag queens.







Trokil
Member
(05-19-2017, 09:08 PM)
Trokil's Avatar

Originally Posted by Morrigan Stark

The fuck does that even mean

That the individual is not existing anymore, that is also why free speech is not something you have to defend or is actually even desirable. You can disregard other opinions easily just because an individual is born in a certain race, with a certain gender or sexual orientation. The individual does not support the paranoid world view how everybody is racist, homophobic or a misogynist who does not agree with the ideology, so pretty much everybody who does not agree 100% is the enemy and every opinion of people like that is the same as people not agreeing at all.

No. Moderation isn't censorship. And moderation on privately-hosted platforms (online or otherwise) isn't the same thing as government intervention into free speech.

But there is no moderation, just people who are more equal than others. That is what makes the whole system so easy to attack. Twitter has so many double standards, they have lost any credibility. Also denying people to share their opinion, even when they break no law, just because you don't like that opinion is nothing else but fighting free speech.

Goddamn, why do we keep having to repeat this explanation? Are people really so brain-dead that they think they're being censored when they get banned from a forum for calling people racial slurs or something?

Oh please, racial slurs or are nice straw man, but in reality it is more about different opinions and how to not have to be exposed to them. Most people on this board do not get banned for that. Most people get banned here, because they discus with people who don't want another opinion and they will find arbitrary reasons to ban people. That was most obvious during the democratic primaries and how Bernie supporters were bullied out. It was never about any slur or anything, they just a different opinion and either the bully tactics of some people who have a free pass got them to say something stupid or another reason was found.

The other straw man is, that the left does not has the desire to regulate free speech. In reality, they just do not have the political influence to do so in most countries. So more a problem of not being able instead of not wanting.
Last edited by Trokil; 05-19-2017 at 09:10 PM.
PtM
Member
(05-19-2017, 09:13 PM)
PtM's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pandy

Don't post images in code tags, they break on mobile.
daviyoung
aka Theakins Buttleworth
(05-19-2017, 11:09 PM)
daviyoung's Avatar

Originally Posted by Browny

She's doing her best to lose. And I think she may manage to do it.

Some might suggest it's better to be in opposition at this moment in time...

Couldn't have put it better myself. All these promises are just bragging right for her PMQs.
Breakage
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:35 PM)
Breakage's Avatar
People will have to get their vulgar thrills from lingerie/underwear catalogues.
Last edited by Breakage; 05-19-2017 at 11:39 PM.
LabouredSubterfuge
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:37 PM)
LabouredSubterfuge's Avatar
What an absolutely colossal fucking cunt.
Booya_base
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:42 PM)
Booya_base's Avatar
FUCK YOU
Sub Boss
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:54 PM)
Sub Boss's Avatar
raindoc
Member
(05-19-2017, 11:56 PM)
raindoc's Avatar
Fuck off May
Ravensmash
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:19 AM)
Ravensmash's Avatar
That article is making conclusions from a fairly vague series of statements.

But.

"Oh no you won't!"

Edit: You can tell when UKGAF is in the house by the liberal use of the word cunt, haha.
SugarDave
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:25 AM)
SugarDave's Avatar
I fucking loathe this cunt with all my being.
Mindwipe
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:26 AM)
Mindwipe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ravensmash

That article is making conclusions from a fairly vague series of statements.

But.

"Oh no you won't!"

Edit: You can tell when UKGAF is in the house by the liberal use of the word cunt, haha.

Given the wretchedness in the Digital Economy Act I don't think it's far fetched. Buzzfeed also cite senior Tory sources saying that the intent is as read, and Jim Watersons' sources are solid.
Muffin1611
Member
(05-20-2017, 12:28 AM)
Muffin1611's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trokil

But there is no moderation, just people who are more equal than others. That is what makes the whole system so easy to attack. Twitter has so many double standards, they have lost any credibility. Also denying people to share their opinion, even when they break no law, just because you don't like that opinion is nothing else but fighting free speech.

Oh please, racial slurs or are nice straw man, but in reality it is more about different opinions and how to not have to be exposed to them.

Except Twitter and co. aren't even doing anything against people who DO break laws. Many European countries, including the UK and the one I'm most familiar with, Germany, have laws against hate speech. It's no fucking strawman, and the ones the majority of "the left" is complaining about are people like Richard Spencer. They're not expressing "opinions", they're spreading hate.

I'm very sorry that you're valuing "free speech" more than human dignity, and very happy that my homecountry does the opposite.
Shy
The Reasonable Negro¬ô
That You Can Live With
(05-20-2017, 12:35 AM)
Shy's Avatar
Dear Theresa May.
EleventhHourSuperpower
EleventhHourPlagiarism
(05-20-2017, 04:49 AM)
EleventhHourSuperpower's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yoda

Limited government my ass.

...Don't confuse individualistic American conservatism with more institutional British conservatism.
kyser73
Member
(05-20-2017, 05:40 AM)
kyser73's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trokil

Left wants the same thing as her. Freedom of speech is neither desired by the left nor by the right anymore. They just use different reasons, why they want to regulate speech or content.

I'm sorry, where in Labour's manifesto does this get mentioned?

Also - here's the new improved UKinternet:

Last edited by kyser73; 05-20-2017 at 05:43 AM.
MattKeil
BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
(05-20-2017, 05:48 AM)
MattKeil's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trokil

That the individual is not existing anymore, that is also why free speech is not something you have to defend or is actually even desirable. You can disregard other opinions easily just because an individual is born in a certain race, with a certain gender or sexual orientation. The individual does not support the paranoid world view how everybody is racist, homophobic or a misogynist who does not agree with the ideology, so pretty much everybody who does not agree 100% is the enemy and every opinion of people like that is the same as people not agreeing at all.

:citation needed:

But there is no moderation, just people who are more equal than others. That is what makes the whole system so easy to attack. Twitter has so many double standards, they have lost any credibility. Also denying people to share their opinion, even when they break no law, just because you don't like that opinion is nothing else but fighting free speech.

You don't know what free speech means, then.

Oh please, racial slurs or are nice straw man, but in reality it is more about different opinions and how to not have to be exposed to them. Most people on this board do not get banned for that. Most people get banned here, because they discus with people who don't want another opinion and they will find arbitrary reasons to ban people. That was most obvious during the democratic primaries and how Bernie supporters were bullied out. It was never about any slur or anything, they just a different opinion and either the bully tactics of some people who have a free pass got them to say something stupid or another reason was found.

The other straw man is, that the left does not has the desire to regulate free speech. In reality, they just do not have the political influence to do so in most countries. So more a problem of not being able instead of not wanting.

The actual straw man is the idea that the left wants to regulate free speech. This is not a thing. I realize you've convinced yourself it is, but it is not. Meanwhile the right is actively attempting to do just that and apparently it's not an issue because the left would totally do the same thing you guys omigosh!

Your posts do nothing but make me wonder what abhorrent stuff you feel oppressed over not being able to say without getting banned. How's that for a straw man?
Morrigan Stark
Arrogant Smirk
(05-20-2017, 05:51 AM)
Morrigan Stark's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trokil

That the individual is not existing anymore, that is also why free speech is not something you have to defend or is actually even desirable. You can disregard other opinions easily just because an individual is born in a certain race, with a certain gender or sexual orientation. The individual does not support the paranoid world view how everybody is racist, homophobic or a misogynist who does not agree with the ideology, so pretty much everybody who does not agree 100% is the enemy and every opinion of people like that is the same as people not agreeing at all.

Uh... I see a lot of words. But I can't parse a single meaningful thought among all those words. I literally have no idea what you just said or what you are talking about. It honestly sounds like the ramblings of an utterly insane, paranoid, delusional person.

But there is no moderation, just people who are more equal than others.

Huh?

That is what makes the whole system so easy to attack. Twitter has so many double standards, they have lost any credibility. Also denying people to share their opinion, even when they break no law, just because you don't like that opinion is nothing else but fighting free speech.

??? Again, what? Twitter, or any other privately-owned internet platform, has the right to have the rules that they want (not that Twitter even enforces them, so IDK what you're even on about) and kick out people that break those rules. This has nothing to do with free speech which is that you cannot be prosecuted or persecuted by the government for your speech.

JFC how hard is it to grasp?

Oh please, racial slurs or are nice straw man, but in reality it is more about different opinions and how to not have to be exposed to them. Most people on this board do not get banned for that. Most people get banned here, because they discus with people who don't want another opinion and they will find arbitrary reasons to ban people. That was most obvious during the democratic primaries and how Bernie supporters were bullied out. It was never about any slur or anything, they just a different opinion and either the bully tactics of some people who have a free pass got them to say something stupid or another reason was found.

Truth is, it doesn't matter because that's still not censorship. Not that I think your claims have any merit, but if NeoGAF decides to ban people who say "Bernie Sanders is cool, I like him", that'd be their prerogative as the private owners of the platform. You are entirely free to go elsewhere and tell the whole world how much you love Bernie.

In any case, it's also bullshit. No one got banned just for supporting Bernie, that's preposterous. As for framing bans for "having a different opinion", that's also meaningless bullshit, and way too vague. "Having a different opinion" can mean anything between "I prefer the colour blue over green" to "I think homosexuality is an abomination, just my opinion y'all".

The other straw man is, that the left does not has the desire to regulate free speech. In reality, they just do not have the political influence to do so in most countries. So more a problem of not being able instead of not wanting.

That's quite the unsubstantiated claim. But I guess it's a coherent thought, so congrats on forming at least one. Next time back it up with some evidence. And again, no, moderating forums doesn't count as censorship or free speech regulation.
Jebusman
Member
(05-20-2017, 06:02 AM)
Jebusman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trokil

Oh please, racial slurs or are nice straw man, but in reality it is more about different opinions and how to not have to be exposed to them. Most people on this board do not get banned for that. Most people get banned here, because they discus with people who don't want another opinion and they will find arbitrary reasons to ban people. That was most obvious during the democratic primaries and how Bernie supporters were bullied out. It was never about any slur or anything, they just a different opinion and either the bully tactics of some people who have a free pass got them to say something stupid or another reason was found.

I'm sure just about any mod could debunk the bolded, although I doubt you'd take them at their word considering you're accusing them of just arbitrarily banning people for disagreeing with consensus.

Considering you still haven't been banned for having the most garbage opinions on GMOs and vaccines that almost seems to debunk your assertion.

I've been banned once, and it wasn't because I was disagreeing with someone, it's because I did it in a real assholish way. That's the case with the large majority of the bans on here.

The irony in all this is that if you did catch a ban somehow, it wouldn't be a learning experience for you, it would just help you reaffirm your distorted view of what free speech should mean.
Last edited by Jebusman; 05-20-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Pandy
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:24 AM)
Pandy's Avatar

Originally Posted by PtM

Don't post images in code tags, they break on mobile.

This is new information to me. Cheers.
Helloween
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:27 AM)
Helloween's Avatar
[QUOTE=AHA-Lambda;237404727]
This. At least the majority of Americans didn't vote for Trump, whereas the UK is filled with turkeys that constantly vote for xmas.
/QUOTE]

Did you even see the numbers? this is not even remotely correct. I wish people would stop spouting garbage.
Mendrox
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:31 AM)
Mendrox's Avatar

Originally Posted by Easy_D

I hope porn saves your country. Surely there will be riots once your government decides all porn is immoral and bad for you.

Didnt stop Thailand.
Bits N Pieces
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:31 AM)
Bits N Pieces's Avatar
Tory landslide, its still going to be a Tory landslide.

Fuck this this country, we deserve everything coming to us if we give these cunts a mandate to do what they want :(
NutJobJim
(05-20-2017, 09:40 AM)
NutJobJim's Avatar
Fuck.
Tory landslide will force my hand. Thank fuck I have a large amount of family in Germany! Time to touch up on my German I think.
WhatNXt
Junior Member
(05-20-2017, 09:44 AM)
Vote Labour. Hold your nose in the ballot box if you have to. Just fucking do it.
Monocle
Banned
(05-20-2017, 09:44 AM)
Monocle's Avatar
Keep this fucker away from public office.
Possumowner
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:47 AM)
Possumowner's Avatar

Originally Posted by kyser73

I'm sorry, where in Labour's manifesto does this get mentioned?

Also - here's the new improved UKinternet:

Oh damn I used to love Ceefax....used to read Digitiser daily
Kthulhu
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:51 AM)
Kthulhu's Avatar
I advise ignoring Trokil. They should really remove the "ki" from their name.
Skinpop
Member
(05-20-2017, 10:01 AM)
Skinpop's Avatar

Originally Posted by s_mirage

It might if the mainstream press weren't so utterly inept at highlighting this kind of thing.

That's assuming the brittish people don't want this. I'm not convinced that's the case.
Hesemonni
Junior Member
(05-20-2017, 10:05 AM)
Hesemonni's Avatar
Scary stuff.
Nevasleep
Member
(05-20-2017, 10:05 AM)
Nevasleep's Avatar
Why though? Can somebody just fix her up with links to the good porn sites?
Zoggy
Junior Member
(05-20-2017, 10:07 AM)
Zoggy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trokil

Left wants the same thing as her. Freedom of speech is neither desired by the left nor by the right anymore. They just use different reasons, why they want to regulate speech or content.

NOPE

NOPE


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE
Xando
Member
(05-20-2017, 10:07 AM)
Xando's Avatar
And this time there won't be a ECJ to stop her.



Edit:

I agree that the internet needs some regulation (To combat fake news for example). But i'm not sure i'd trust Theresa May to not go overboard with.
Last edited by Xando; 05-20-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Zoggy
Junior Member
(05-20-2017, 10:08 AM)
Zoggy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nevasleep

Why though? Can somebody just fix her up with links to the good porn sites?

unfortunately theres not a big demand for fascism in the porn industry.

maybe we can re-upload hitler speeches on pornhub
CyclopsRock
Banned
(05-20-2017, 10:10 AM)
I'm not sure how they've come to all these conclusions based on what's in the manifesto. Half of them wouldn't look out of place coming from the EU.
UrbanRats
Member
(05-20-2017, 10:17 AM)
UrbanRats's Avatar
Im sure this will put an end to bad comment sections and asinine facebook posts, folks.
This very good news, trust me!
PastorOfMuppets
Junior Member
(05-20-2017, 10:19 AM)
PastorOfMuppets's Avatar
New Zealand, Canada and Barbados might be the only English speaking countries in the world that don't have leaders actively leading them into the shitter right now.
Screaming Meat
Member
(05-20-2017, 10:46 AM)
Screaming Meat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trokil

That the individual is not existing anymore.

I think that very much misses the zeitgeist. I'd argue the individual is almost all that exists. Collective action isn't nearly as common as it once was because of it.
Vigilant Walrus
Junior Member
(05-20-2017, 10:50 AM)
Vigilant Walrus's Avatar
Is there an argument you could make that moderation can be a slippery slope that eventually leads itself to censorship? (As Trokill was saying).

I think there is a case that could be made that it is a possibility, but we can imagine slippery slopes in many venues, and there is also a possibility that moderation does not lead to censorship.
I am sure we could all find wild life examples of proving either case, depending on situation and circumstances.

There is a philosophical argument you can make that the beauty (and horror) of the internet is the wild-west approach to have it not be regulated and processed. This is the idea that the chips fall where they May (no pun intended), and you just hope you and those you care about don't get caught in the crossfire of death threats, doxxing, abuse, harassment, stalking, and so on.

On the other end of the spectrum you have a counter-argument about that the internet is such an important part of our lives, with so much of our career opportunities, livelihood, social relevance and abillity to succeed in life depends more and more on the internet. The idea that people can ignore it or simply will have to accept harrasment in everyday life as they go about online in the large public spaces that are becoming increasingly synonmous with pop culture and the idea of being integrated in society, is futile.
Youtube, reddit, facebook, twitter- These portals and services are beyond just being social media.
They seep into real life every day and they cannot be ignored.

Just like it's not within your rights of free speech to make hate speech in a public square, at the train station or walk around naked in the grocery store, so to does there need to be on the sites and services on internet we deem to be essential for integrating into a normal life in 2017.

Then again, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. The EU verdict of "The right to be forgotten" has allowed many people to have search links from google removed- including all manners of criminals, pedophiles and scrupulous organizations and individuals.
The fact is that laws intended to protect people from abuse have a clear connotation with terrible human beings also using that as a cover.
... Never the less, I am totally open to the idea that protecting innocent people from abuse is more important than exposing shitty people on a search engine. This might very well be a situation where the good of protecting others outweigh the negativites of exposing bad people.
But it's not a clear yes or no answer. And TBF, Theresa May have been on this trajectory for a while.




I don't know what side to take in this. It seems that things could escalate in a manner of different of ways, all which could have radically different negative outcomes in worst case scenarios. The internet is amazing, and we don't want to ruin it, but are we acting out of fear when we judge what we want to do with it?
ultratruman
Junior Member
(05-20-2017, 10:58 AM)
ultratruman's Avatar
This is why we need a constitution.
Linkstrikesback
Member
(05-20-2017, 11:02 AM)
Linkstrikesback's Avatar

Originally Posted by JonnyDBrit

...so they expect the UK to be able to dictate how the entire internet works, or...?.

The UK population thinking they can dictate how things much much larger than them work is a running theme in UK politics recently, yes.

Originally Posted by Helloween


Did you even see the numbers? this is not even remotely correct. I wish people would stop spouting garbage.

Like bollocks it isn't correct. Trying to use that a lot of people couldn't be arsed to get out and vote as an out to say it isn't true is folly. The only people that matter in politics are the ones who vote and frankly, the people who didn't are as bad as the people who voted for brexit. Maybe even worse, because at least those people put some effort in, even if I hate them for it.
Last edited by Linkstrikesback; 05-20-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Dan27
Member
(05-20-2017, 11:12 AM)
Dan27's Avatar

Originally Posted by ultratruman

This is why we need a constitution.

No thanks.
ShadowIris
Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
(05-20-2017, 11:14 AM)
ShadowIris's Avatar
Fuck off, May.
Fakeknowledge
Member
(05-20-2017, 11:16 AM)
Fakeknowledge's Avatar
Regulate the itchy underside of my peen May, ye cunt.
Easy_D
never left the stone age
(05-20-2017, 03:22 PM)
Easy_D's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mammoth Jones

Correct.

It took me roughly 24 hours to see the sarcasm in your first post :lol.
Ogodei
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:40 PM)
Ogodei's Avatar

Originally Posted by CadetMahoney

No opposition party or EU to stop it. Fuck dat shit.

Thankfully stuff like this is the sort of overreach that breathes life into an emaciated opposition. Part of the political life-cycle is a strong movement going too far and getting blowback.
Somnium
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:42 PM)
Somnium's Avatar
Fuck off!

Thread Tools