• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ShadowKingpin
(05-20-2017, 04:08 AM)

Washington (CNN)Former FBI Director James Comey now believes that President Donald Trump was trying to influence his judgment about the Russia probe, a person familiar with his thinking says, but whether that influence amounts to obstruction of justice remains an open question.

"You have to have intent in order to obstruct justice in the criminal sense," the source said, adding that "intent is hard to prove."

Comey will testify publicly before the Senate intelligence committee after Memorial Day, the panel's leaders announced Friday.

The central question at that blockbuster hearing will be whether Comey believed the President was trying to interfere with his investigation.

At a news conference Thursday, Trump angrily denied that he had asked Comey to end the investigation, which is now in the hands of new special counsel Robert Mueller. The President blasted the probe into Russia's involvement in the 2016 election and possible collusion with his campaign as a "witch hunt."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politi....html?adkey=bn

I know how shocked most of you are by reading this.

Influence me if old.
Last edited by ShadowKingpin; 05-20-2017 at 04:11 AM.
Dash_Riprock
(05-20-2017, 04:09 AM)
No shit.
Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
(05-20-2017, 04:10 AM)
What? Nooooooo
whyamihere
(05-20-2017, 04:11 AM)
Establishing intent.
wandering
(05-20-2017, 04:12 AM)

Originally Posted by whyamihere

Establishing intent.

Yeah, this is pretty crucial. Major step forward.
Nether!
Sure are a lot of people speaking on his behalf the last week.
He must be approving their statements if they want to maintain any sort of personal relationship with him, right?
Cyclical
I mean, this isn't great optics for Comey either though. He gets fired, then this comes out. He'll need to explain convincingly why this hadn't come up prior. You already know how Trump supporters will respond.
Surfinn
(05-20-2017, 04:13 AM)
Trump really has no fucking clue how buried he is by his own doing

Originally Posted by Cyclical

I mean, this isn't great optics for Comey either though. He gets fired, then this comes out. He'll need to explain convincingly why this hadn't come up prior. You already know how Trump supporters will respond.

I think the turning point was clearly when he was fired. Everything changed. I think he can make a solid argument out of that.
Last edited by Surfinn; 05-20-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Speevy
(05-20-2017, 04:13 AM)

a person familiar with his thinking says

What does this mean?
ShadowKingpin
(05-20-2017, 04:14 AM)

I don't think Trump supporters even know what is happening with the situation.
SchrodingerC
Oh really.

Trump, master of super subtle influencing.
Heroman
Psychoward
McLovin
(05-20-2017, 04:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Dash_Riprock

No shit.

What I came to say.
gutter_trash
(05-20-2017, 04:17 AM)

Originally Posted by ShadowKingpin

Trump supporters embrace his authertaranism and don't care about ethics.

I don't expect them to turn; they are hopeless
Oozer3993

Originally Posted by Heroman

Jared: "Treason, dad?"

Trump: "First time!"

Jared: "I've never heard of a second."
Shadow Puppetry

Oh, I do.
"FAKE NEWS, TRYING TO SMEAR TRUMP! DUM LIBTARDS AREN'T OVER KILLARY'S LOST!"
Loudninja
No oxygen in space?
How does the sun burn?
Food for thought.
This is was oh so obvious.
WedgeX
Livin' Like A King
(05-20-2017, 04:18 AM)

It'd be pretty easy for Comey to say that at the time he didn't believe that a President would do that, but with hindsight its clear.
RootCause
(05-20-2017, 04:20 AM)
This is very concerning.
NimbusD
(05-20-2017, 04:21 AM)

Because he was conducting an investigation? Now he's not. Seems pretty easy to understand.
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(05-20-2017, 04:22 AM)

Originally Posted by RootCause

This is very concerning.

Everything since the GOP nomination has been very concerning.
Drewton
(05-20-2017, 04:22 AM)
Hero_of_the_Day
(05-20-2017, 04:23 AM)

Most don't. Fox is telling them there's nothing to see, just ignore all that fake news, so they are. Trump and Co. have completely succeeded in their fake news campaign. His followers will stay completely oblivious to anything he or Fox News tells them to ignore. In all seriousness, it has been the most frightening thing about all of this.
Sub Boss
(05-20-2017, 04:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Speevy

What does this mean?

A psychic most likely
Surfinn

Originally Posted by Drewton

Cannot be posted enough
SolarPowered
News to me!

/Sarcasm
Psychoward
McLovin

Originally Posted by Speevy

What does this mean?

A pre-school teacher.
DangerMouse
(05-20-2017, 04:25 AM)
No shit!

This was so damned obvious.
shiba5
(05-20-2017, 04:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Hero_of_the_Day

Most don't. Fox is telling them there's nothing to see, just ignore all that fake news, so they are. Trump and Co. have completely succeeded in their fake news campaign. His followers will stay completely oblivious to anything he or Fox News tells them to ignore. In all seriousness, it has been the most frightening thing about all of this.

I've seen them scream "FAKE" about things that are actually happening. Special Counsel: fake, Russians in the WH: fake, Trump calling Comey a nut job: fake, Flynn under investigation: fake
They have no idea what is happening.
WinFonda
(05-20-2017, 04:29 AM)

the operative word is 'now.' he now believes it. that wasn't always his assumption.

but regardless of when he thought Trump might be trying to influence the investigation, why would Comey - then as the active director - publicly state whether he believed Trump was trying to influence him and the FBIs investigation when that would, as point of fact, be a part of the ongoing investigation?
More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(05-20-2017, 04:29 AM)

Originally Posted by WedgeX

It'd be pretty easy for Comey to say that at the time he didn't believe that a President would do that, but with hindsight its clear.

It would be really helpful if there was some record of the President admitting that he had hoped firing Comey would diminish the pressure of the investigation, so Comey could say how such a comment helped him understand the President's intent in hindsight
GrapeApes
(05-20-2017, 04:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Nether!

Sure are a lot of people speaking on his behalf the last week.
He must be approving their statements if they want to maintain any sort of personal relationship with him, right?

Comey is approving this while staying in the shadows. The ratings for Comey's public hearing gonna be huge. Right now it's drips at the hearing the dam breaks.
Common Knowledge
(05-20-2017, 04:32 AM)
The beauty of this is that, even on the off-chance that Trump was just a unknowing, dumb puppet in all of this Russia stuff and not actually a real culprit, his repeated intrusions in the investigations and trying to stop them pushes him into that territory regardless.

Bit in the ass by his own doing. I love it.
rekameohs
(05-20-2017, 04:34 AM)

Originally Posted by More_Badass

It would be really helpful if there was some record of the President admitting that he had hoped firing Comey would diminish the pressure of the investigation, so Comey could say how such a comment helped him understand the President's intent in hindsight

rec0ded1
(05-20-2017, 04:35 AM)
No shit breh. He's testifying Wednesday or is it still up in the air? Gonna get tremendous ratings just tremendous, people are talking about it believe me.
ShadowKingpin
(05-20-2017, 04:37 AM)

Originally Posted by rec0ded1

No shit breh. He's testifying Wednesday or is it still up in the air? Gonna get tremendous ratings just tremendous, people are talking about it believe me.

No official date. Sometime after Memorial Day.
Madness
(05-20-2017, 04:40 AM)

It is exactly why Trump wrote in his dismissal that 'even though you told me on three separate occasions I was no under investigation'. If they ask Comey about that under oath, he responds yes and you have the FBI director admit he told a potential suspect during an ongoing investigation he wasn't being investigated before it finished and if he says no, they have him on record and he may perjure himself if Trump releases some recording of him saying that. Comey was played like a fiddle by Trump and his team.
Surfinn
(05-20-2017, 04:41 AM)

Originally Posted by rec0ded1

At least after the 29th I think
TangoAlphaLima
(05-20-2017, 04:43 AM)
Intent is not hard to prove when Trump publicly says he fired Comey because of the "Trump Russia thing".
KoopaTheCasual
(05-20-2017, 04:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Madness

It is exactly why Trump wrote in his dismissal that 'even though you told me on three separate occasions I was no under investigation'. If they ask Comey about that under oath, he responds yes and you have the FBI director admit he told a potential suspect during an ongoing investigation he wasn't being investigated before it finished and if he says no, they have him on record and he may perjure himself if Trump releases some recording of him saying that. Comey was played like a fiddle by Trump and his team.

????

Pretty sure those three separate occassions are similar to Clapper "saying there was no collusion." It's just Trump using a clear non-answer to feed his warped world-view.

People need to stop with the 4D Chess bullshit. There was no plan. Trump is fucked.
Surfinn
(05-20-2017, 04:46 AM)

Originally Posted by TangoAlphaLima

Intent is not hard to prove when Trump publicly says he fired Comey because of the "Trump Russia thing".

Twice, and once behind closed doors in the fucking oval office with RUSSIANS

Just read that sentence and consider that it's not satire
Syder
(05-20-2017, 04:49 AM)
...and in the blue corner, fighting out of New York, 6' 8" 220lbs, James 'The Director' Comey!
SatelliteOfLove
(05-20-2017, 04:53 AM)

Originally Posted by KoopaTheCasual

????

Pretty sure those three separate occassions are similar to Clapper "saying there was no collusion." It's just Trump using a clear non-answer to feed his warped world-view.

People need to stop with the 4D Chess bullshit. There was no plan. Trump is fucked.

Same as the Elijah Cummings talk. It's Trump lying to himself to others.
Leona Lewis
(05-20-2017, 04:54 AM)
Hopefully he testifies to this effect next month.

We need a credible voice who can establish a clear attempt at obstruction of justice.
Chuck Norris
(05-20-2017, 04:56 AM)

Ongoing investigation
Chmpocalypse
Blizzard
(05-20-2017, 05:05 AM)

Well, your name certainly fits your premise, given that it's utterly delusional.
chadskin
(05-20-2017, 05:09 AM)

Pop-O-Matic
(05-20-2017, 05:10 AM)
SeaOfMadness
(05-20-2017, 05:12 AM)

Originally Posted by RootCause

This is very concerning.

McCain, is that you?
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(05-20-2017, 05:12 AM)

lol masterful.