• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Faiz
(05-18-2017, 11:25 PM)

Originally Posted by bud

is it really a happy ending, though? she didn't seem that happy to me.

maybe i'm misinterpreting the ending.

No I thought the same thing. they both seemed worried and apprehensive.
Relceroi
(05-19-2017, 12:02 AM)
Season two proved to be very enjoyable for the most part. Episodes 1 through 8 were all wonderful to one extent or another, but the last two I didn’t like nearly as much. I guess the overarching relationship stuff didn’t work out quite in the way that I had hoped this time around.

As for the ending, I don’t see the relationship between the two lasting. I think Francesca was (understandably) more worried about losing her chance to experience things that she wouldn’t get to experience if she married Pino (they really made him out to be a bit of a jerk) than she was in love with Dev specifically. He just happened to become a part of her life at a critical point in time and inadvertently helped her break out of that future. Not that either of them knew this at the time. At least that’s roughly how I interpreted their relationship and the final shot, but we’ll see if there ever is a third season.
Last edited by Relceroi; 05-19-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Jack Scofield
(05-19-2017, 04:57 AM)
I just finished the I Love You, New York episode. That was fantastic. I absolutely LOVED it.

EDIT: And I think Dev's producer might be my second favorite character after Arnold, haha.
Last edited by Jack Scofield; 05-19-2017 at 05:33 AM.
starchild excalibur
(05-19-2017, 05:57 AM)
Interesting to see the reactions in this thread. I agree with most of them. But my girlfriend's take was interesting, as she hated the final 2 episodes and felt they romanticized emotional and, then later, physical cheating. Doing a search for "cheat" in the last couple pages of this thread, even, and only one other post comes up... I guess most people aren't bothered by it? She was definitely #teamPino during those last two episodes and couldn't condone Dev and Francesca's canoodling and increasing flirtation with each other, which I can totally understand even I don't feel as strongly about it as she does. I think the beauty of the show is that it doesn't depict perfect people and perfect relationships. It just depicts things as they are for many people, which is why it's relatable.

I think episodes like New York, I Love You and the Thanksgiving episode saved the show from growing a little bit too stale. Until things pick up with the main story in episode 9 and 10, there were definitely times where I found the "Dev and his quest for romance" storylines tedious and boring. Relatable, but boring. Focusing on some of the other characters was a smart move. I especially loved the Asian dad and his dual-girlfriend dilemma (Coco!).

Good season overall. Francesca is cute as fuck, but I'm still kinda bummed about the cute black girl in episode 1.
Ashhong
(05-19-2017, 09:08 AM)

Originally Posted by War Peaceman

I think the last shot is very bad. It is confusing and weird that it appears to be on the same exact day as that other night. That doesn't add anything, it just looks sloppy. Also, the show isn't about the plot, it is about the experiences that Dev goes through. A cliffhanger is wrong for this sort of show.

Disagree on all points.

it's not confusing, it's open ended. We don't really know what it means, and that's intentional. They could be together they could be broken up, there's no concrete information one way or another. The fact that he chose to make it look similar at first glance to the other night only adds to this.

I love the plot. The show can be about multiple things. The cliffhanger works because it leaves it up to the viewer to interpret. Why exactly wrong for this? Dramas and comedies do it all the time.
War Peaceman
(05-19-2017, 09:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Ashhong

Disagree on all points.

it's not confusing, it's open ended. We don't really know what it means, and that's intentional. They could be together they could be broken up, there's no concrete information one way or another. The fact that he chose to make it look similar at first glance to the other night only adds to this.

I love the plot. The show can be about multiple things. The cliffhanger works because it leaves it up to the viewer to interpret. Why exactly wrong for this? Dramas and comedies do it all the time.

Given that there are so many posters in here confused over what happened, I'd say it is confusing - I wasn't personally confused by it. Being open ended over whether they were are happy or not, Graduate style is fine. But people are confused as to whether it was a dream of their night in the snow, which it absolutely isn't. It didn't need to be so similar to that night visually/
RastaMentality
(05-19-2017, 09:30 AM)
does aziz ever use the subway or is he always in a taxi? i mean it's new york.
Ashhong
(05-19-2017, 09:34 AM)

Originally Posted by War Peaceman

Given that there are so many posters in here confused over what happened, I'd say it is confusing - I wasn't personally confused by it. Being open ended over whether they were are happy or not, Graduate style is fine. But people are confused as to whether it was a dream of their night in the snow, which it absolutely isn't. It didn't need to be so similar to that night visually/

if one was confused as to whether or not it was that night in the snow, they Just need to pay closer attention. I like that it's similar because like you said, it's a bit open ended of an ending. I wondered if it was real or fake because of the similar setting, then spotted the small details that said it wasn't. It felt satisfying, unlike Inception where it's impossible to tell.
Aiii
So not worth it
(05-19-2017, 02:48 PM)
This show is just such a gem, it has heart, it has humor, it has wonderful characters, I enjoy it so much.
phanphare
(05-19-2017, 02:50 PM)

Originally Posted by RastaMentality

does aziz ever use the subway or is he always in a taxi? i mean it's new york.

there's that one episode from season 1 where he and denise do a citizen's arrest on some guy jerking off in the subway
Mr. F
(05-19-2017, 03:43 PM)
I really wanted to like the first season but the acting was so wooden that it completely took me out of it. Is S2 any better in this regard?
Messofanego
(05-19-2017, 03:53 PM)

Originally Posted by starchild excalibur

Good season overall. Francesca is cute as fuck, but I'm still kinda bummed about the cute black girl in episode 1.

I'm still bummed about the cute Indian girl Priya in the first date episode, cause I just want him to not always date white girls :P It felt contrived to make her character back off and be distant for not a strong reason so that Dev could move on from her.

Aparna Nancherla was an absolute delight.

phanphare
(05-19-2017, 04:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Mr. F

I really wanted to like the first season but the acting was so wooden that it completely took me out of it. Is S2 any better in this regard?

ehhh, the acting certainly isn't its strong suit but I do think season 2 is better

for me the sincerity of the show masks pretty much all of its flaws

if you give season 2 a go I'd recommend getting past episode 2. in retrospect I like that episode but watching through the first time I got a little worried as to what direction the show was going to take.
jmood88
(05-19-2017, 04:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Messofanego

I'm still bummed about the cute Indian girl Priya in the first date episode, cause I just want him to not always date white girls :P It felt contrived to make her character back off and be distant for not a strong reason so that Dev could move on from her.

I love Tiya Sircar, so I was sad that she was only in a couple episodes.
Peotical Injection
(05-19-2017, 07:04 PM)
Yo soy un Bambino!

Loving this second season. I'm going to finish it tonight. I thought the Thanksgiving and I love New York episodes were the best. This show has allot of heart.
SCULLIBUNDO
(05-19-2017, 11:44 PM)

It has Bobby Carnavale, so yes.
JasoNsider
(05-20-2017, 02:27 AM)
Just finished this season - While very obviously lop-sided in terms of focus and pacing, it contains an enormous amount of heart. It's just so obviously created with care. Care of culture, food, friendship, classic films, and more.

My only criticism, in the end, is that really excellent episodes like Religion were quite short and get lost in the timeline against the much longer episodes revolving around Dev's love life (which I still really enjoyed).
User33
(05-20-2017, 02:28 AM)

It's still bad. However, I seem to be bothered by the bad acting more than most people here, and I still enjoyed Season 2 more than 1.
effingvic
(05-20-2017, 02:37 AM)
Just finished it.

What the fuck!?!!?!! Thats it????? Whaaaaatttt
freeofgreed
(05-20-2017, 02:51 AM)
So is the entire season him in Italy?
NipplesAndToes23
Corona Drug Bust
(05-20-2017, 02:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Messofanego

Aparna Nancherla was an absolute delight.

Yo, that brings to question for me in the Dinner Party episode. Why was he talking to that girl about who he should bring to the party instead of just asking her out? She was the finest looking girl he was talking to.
User33
(05-20-2017, 02:54 AM)

Originally Posted by freeofgreed

Just the first two episodes
phanphare
(05-20-2017, 02:56 AM)

Originally Posted by freeofgreed

nah
freeofgreed
(05-20-2017, 03:11 AM)

Originally Posted by User33

Just the first two episodes

Originally Posted by phanphare

nah

Nice, got worried a bit when the second episode started and he was still there. I like it as a one off thing, but I much prefer the setting being in NY.
evlcookie
but ever so delicious
(05-20-2017, 03:34 AM)
Fuck, Episode 9 and 10 were brutal for me to watch. Aside from the ending it pretty much sums up my own wannabe love life over the past few months with someone that i believed and felt was special.

Great season though.
backflip10019
(05-20-2017, 04:58 AM)
Amazing season. I wish it didn't have to end.

Really hope Aziz does a third season.
Alienfan
(05-20-2017, 05:24 AM)
Some of Francesca's lines could have done with a second take, she reminded me of a female Tommy Wiseau at her worst. Not the greatest actress
and her cheating relationship made me hard to sympathize with either her or dev

Best episodes this season were the ones that focused on different characters or didn't go overboard with the awkward cringe (last two episodes). 1-8 were basically all masterpieces
Last edited by Alienfan; 05-20-2017 at 05:30 AM.
valeo
(05-20-2017, 02:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Alienfan

Some of Francesca's lines could have done with a second take, she reminded me of a female Tommy Wiseau at her worst. Not the greatest actress
and her cheating relationship made me hard to sympathize with either her or dev

Best episodes this season were the ones that focused on different characters or didn't go overboard with the awkward cringe (last two episodes). 1-8 were basically all masterpieces

Thought her acting was fine. It was sincere, which is all you want in a rom commy thing like this. also don't think you're necessarily supposed to sympathise - but a lot of us have been in similar situations before and it isn't always so black and white. People can be stupid. People are usually irrational. People sometimes hurt the ones they love because of that irrationality. That's life

Finished this season and I only *kinda* liked season 1, but I loved Season 2. So much better. Bobby Carnavale definitely elevated the median acting ability on the show..
bud
straight
(05-20-2017, 02:35 PM)
aziz's parents' acting is the worst.
ChaosXVI
(05-20-2017, 02:40 PM)

Originally Posted by bud

aziz's parents' acting is the worst.

Aziz's father is the greatest, most adorable human being in existence! The dad of all dads! I have a giant smile during every scene that he's in.
Offshore Breeze
(05-20-2017, 02:48 PM)
Yeah, Aziz's father is one of my favorite characters. I laugh out loud (in a good way) almost everytime he's in a scene. Such a unique individual!
Shaneus
(05-20-2017, 04:00 PM)
Holy fuckballs, the soundtrack. That last someone posted a link to a few pages back is far from definitive, too. For example, the first track Arnold plays at his DJ gig is Frankie Knuckles' Your Love. Not on any list.
phanphare
(05-20-2017, 04:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Shaneus

Holy fuckballs, the soundtrack. That last someone posted a link to a few pages back is far from definitive, too. For example, the first track Arnold plays at his DJ gig is Frankie Knuckles' Your Love. Not on any list.

yeah that was me, definitely missing some stuff. I just threw it together quick using that other website as the main resource. I can't find anything else on the internet that has an exhaustive list of songs from the show. I'll add tracks if people post track names and artists. just added that one.
Shaneus
(05-20-2017, 04:08 PM)

Originally Posted by phanphare

yeah that was me, definitely missing some stuff. I just threw it together quick using that other website as the main resource. I can't find anything else on the internet that has an exhaustive list of songs from the show. I'll add tracks if people post track names and artists. just added that one.

Oh, not blaming you at all, more blaming that site :)

This seems far more definitive, at least, it features that song I mentioned.
https://www.tunefind.com/show/master-of-none
phanphare
(05-20-2017, 04:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Shaneus

Oh, not blaming you at all, more blaming that site :)

This seems far more definitive, at least, it features that song I mentioned.
https://www.tunefind.com/show/master-of-none

they must have added songs since I made the playlist, that's the website I used

I'll give it another look to see what new has been added

edit: yeah they've added tracks, adding them now

edit 2: all added. still can't find Guerra E Pace, Pollo E Brace by Ennio Morricone on spotify, not sure if the title is in english on there or something. the artist is there just can't find the song. it's on youtube as listed so it's not a spelling error or anything. if anyone finds that on spotify let me know what to search for.
Last edited by phanphare; 05-20-2017 at 04:23 PM.
GuessWho
(05-20-2017, 04:14 PM)
i loved it, until the final shot. That was bs.
starchild excalibur
(05-20-2017, 05:51 PM)

Originally Posted by bud

aziz's mom's acting is the worst.

Fixed.

Because his dad's acting is awesome, man.
ScottSullivan
(05-20-2017, 05:55 PM)

Originally Posted by effingvic

Episode 5...

Franchesca is bae. I ship this so hard ;_;

Theres a character whos like a total nerd. Wrestling, video games etc.

I laughed out loud when the nerd girl was like, "I was 8 hours into an Overwatch Sesh" haha
kittoo
Cretinously credulous
(05-20-2017, 07:49 PM)
In Episode 3 where they reveal that Dev and his family are Muslims. Did they ever reveal that before? Dev (and the parents' names) is a Hindu name so in my mind I always pictured them as such. No problem with this but it kinda messed the backstory I had of Dev and his family in my mind lol. I was so sure they mentioned them being Hindu before.

Edit: The parents are indeed bad actors. Dad is kinda OK, but Mom is really bad lol.
Last edited by kittoo; 05-20-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Theorry
(05-20-2017, 08:18 PM)
Thanksgiving episode was great.

The run time for the episodes are weird tho. 24 min, 30, and even 58 min.
Last edited by Theorry; 05-20-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Order
(05-20-2017, 10:13 PM)
Episode 4 was cringe comedy at it's best.
Theorry
(05-20-2017, 10:23 PM)
I wanna text this fast and flawless. I would save so much time.
moeman
(05-21-2017, 02:54 AM)

Originally Posted by kittoo

In Episode 3 where they reveal that Dev and his family are Muslims. Did they ever reveal that before? Dev (and the parents' names) is a Hindu name so in my mind I always pictured them as such. No problem with this but it kinda messed the backstory I had of Dev and his family in my mind lol. I was so sure they mentioned them being Hindu before.

Edit: The parents are indeed bad actors. Dad is kinda OK, but Mom is really bad lol.

Well Aziz Ansari grew up Muslim and he bases a lot of his show based on real-life experiences so I assume that's why. Maybe Dev was just the most Indian sounding name Aziz could come up with lol
quesalupa
(05-21-2017, 04:29 AM)
Omg Magnificent Kenny 😂😭
whitemex88
(05-21-2017, 04:35 AM)

Originally Posted by kittoo

I think his parents being terrible at acting works for the show. His father in particular seems to be actually enjoying himself in his scenes. Gotta love the tooth brush in the ass scene.
HoJu
(05-21-2017, 04:42 AM)
they should kill off his parents for the next season. I just feel embarrassed when theyre on but not in a funny cringe sort of way.
NipplesAndToes23
Corona Drug Bust
(05-21-2017, 04:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Theorry

Which one's 58? Yeah, I've seen some shows with some weird times like that.
Wanda/Wander
(05-21-2017, 04:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Theorry

More and more Netflix shows are doing this and I love it.
OnPoint
(05-21-2017, 04:54 AM)

Originally Posted by whitemex88

I think his parents being terrible at acting works for the show. His father in particular seems to be actually enjoying himself in his scenes. Gotta love the tooth brush in the ass scene.

I love them on this show.
Hazmat
(05-21-2017, 04:57 AM)

Originally Posted by HoJu

they should kill off his parents for the next season. I just feel embarrassed when theyre on but not in a funny cringe sort of way.

I love his dad. He's not a good actor by any stretch of the imagination, but I love any scene he's in. He attacks every line with such enthusiasm that it's both hilarious and it actually kind of conveys that Dev/Aziz's dad is a sometimes embarrassing dork that loves life and loves his son.

His mom is pretty bad on the show but I'm a mama's boy, and if some of the Dev/mom stuff is inspired by Aziz/mom stuff then I guess I approve. The note she had in his (unopened) Quran felt real and personal to me in part because Aziz's mom plays his mom on the show.

I fully get people not liking them, and I've explained that those are his real parents to people that I've recommended the show to before they watch it, but I like them being in there. I'd vote against an episode following the mom around for the whole time, though.