• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Aizo
音楽オタク
(05-13-2017, 06:26 PM)
The second half was really great. My favorite episodes were the cab drivers, Denise's romantic history, and episode 9.
Chase Lebowski
(05-13-2017, 06:58 PM)
Oh boy the Thanksgiving episode. Aziz, you stepped up your game big time, man.
Lulubop
(05-13-2017, 07:02 PM)
I loved S1 but this season is so much better, crazy to think. So many good episodes.

Thanksgiving, religion, I love NY, the dating app one, episode 9.

They really stepped it up
shoelacer
(05-13-2017, 07:06 PM)
I laughed out loud a lot more than I can recall during the first season, and overall I liked it more.

I was not feeling the Italian woman at all though. That scene in Walgreens was so twee and precious, I felt like I was watching outtakes from some shitty Duplass brothers movie. That really didn't help during the last couple episodes during the more drawn out interactions between the two of them.

The ending was good though. It didn't give any of the characters any easy answers.

Brians Dad absolutely killed me. "I made a snack. It was the stew."

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

Sure, of course, but it's a comedy TV series so I assumed it was going to be reset button immediately.

Is this really that frequent of a thing?
SirRattleBalls
Banned
(05-13-2017, 07:18 PM)
Only halfway through the season but I loved the episode when his going out with all them women , I swear I clicked with the nerdy chick than all the rest
MoodyFog
(05-13-2017, 07:28 PM)
Dem feels.

Amazing season.
NipplesAndToes23
Corona Drug Bust
(05-13-2017, 07:39 PM)
Thanksgiving episode.
Dev put her on blast and the amount of facial expressions had a negro tripping.

That shit was so funny and then Aunty calling her a thot.
That ending was so sweet too.
JonnyKong
(05-13-2017, 07:39 PM)
Oh man, the end of episode 5 was perfect. Superb acting from Aziz, he managed to nail the "oh shit I'm falling for this person" panic via his facial expressions amazingly.
aBarreras
(05-13-2017, 07:51 PM)

Originally Posted by phanphare

just finished that episode. this show is great.

the little kids running around making hand signs of Vagina, hahaha
Dusktildawn48
(05-13-2017, 09:02 PM)
so did he end up with Francesca?
Last edited by Dusktildawn48; 05-14-2017 at 02:57 AM.
shadow_shogun
(05-13-2017, 09:22 PM)
man, eff this show. It's too good to be only 10 episodes.
sixteen-bit
(05-13-2017, 09:27 PM)
I have some bad news.

https://youtu.be/6Zbi0XmGtMw?t=27s
rec0ded1
(05-13-2017, 09:29 PM)
That Thanksgiving episode is easily top 10 tv episodes of all time for me. Might be all that nostalgia making me biased.

Nikki though obamahankerchief.jpg
Last edited by rec0ded1; 05-13-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Lulubop
(05-13-2017, 09:58 PM)
Yea, thanksgiving is probably my favorite overall. Fucking fantastic
User33
(05-13-2017, 10:19 PM)
On Episode 3, and I really don't remember the acting being this bad. Aziz and maybe that little kid from Episode 1 are the only half decent actors in the entire show. The parents are as bad as ever, Arnold is awful, that Navid kid was bad, it's really taking me out of the show.
shadow_shogun
(05-13-2017, 10:28 PM)

Originally Posted by User33

On Episode 3, and I really don't remember the acting being this bad. Aziz and maybe that little kid from Episode 1 are the only half decent actors in the entire show. The parents are as bad as ever, Arnold is awful, that Navid kid was bad, it's really taking me out of the show.

The parents have always been terrible actors but I think it adds to the comedy, some how it works.
doop_
(05-13-2017, 10:32 PM)
Those final two episodes, just rip my heart into pieces. I have never been this emotionally invested in a piece of media EVER.
WrenchNinja
(05-13-2017, 11:13 PM)
Some fantastic acting in that car ride scene in episode 5
DarknessTear
(05-13-2017, 11:16 PM)
So many great things, and experimental stuff. I really enjoyed this season. My brother on the other hand absolutely hated stuff like the black and white episode and the party where it went completely silent while the deaf woman was the main character for a while. I thought it did a great job of conveying what they wanted to.
JonnyKong
(05-13-2017, 11:23 PM)
Scatman John and Vengaboys?! This show is freaking on point with the soundtrack.
smokeymicpot
Beat EviLore at pool.
(05-13-2017, 11:38 PM)
Finished the first episode wish the rest was in black and white now.
number11
(05-13-2017, 11:43 PM)
Nearly done with the season. This is one of those shows I have no problem going back and rewatching straight away.

Also the music in each episode is amazing. I wish it was the full soundtrack, but I'm definitely picking up the vinyl

https://mondotees.com/products/maste...eid=293a177976
Last edited by number11; 05-13-2017 at 11:45 PM.
dcelw540
(05-14-2017, 12:03 AM)
Just finished it so good! I just read season 3 night happen but I'll be awhile since aziz stated he wants to be married or have kids before the next season. I am majorly bummed out.
Dandy Crocodile
(05-14-2017, 12:15 AM)
Fuck me, that's the end?
Another long wait now.

This season was fab. The Thanksgiving episode with Denise was incredible.
smokeymicpot
Beat EviLore at pool.
(05-14-2017, 12:18 AM)
Thought the whole season will be in Italy.
Tater Tot
"My God... it's full of Starch!"
(05-14-2017, 12:19 AM)
raven live
BlueTsunami
there is joy in sucking dick
(05-14-2017, 02:09 AM)
Man, when Tupac comes on as little Dev stares down a strip of bacon and he eats it anyways after he was told not to over the phone. Big laugh out loud moment for me.
curiouscharles
(05-14-2017, 02:24 AM)

Originally Posted by DarknessTear

So many great things, and experimental stuff. I really enjoyed this season. My brother on the other hand absolutely hated stuff like the black and white episode and the party where it went completely silent while the deaf woman was the main character for a while. I thought it did a great job of conveying what they wanted to.

totally agree.

LOVED the episode where aziz didn't even show up until the end at the cinema - some really cool little stories.

so much of this is obviously inspired by european film making, and i absolutely love that about it.

felt the emotional conflict between the two main characters real bad, really hit close to home for me.

god i love this show.
WrenchNinja
(05-14-2017, 02:26 AM)
Just finished the season

That hit harder than the first season. Just ouch.
phanphare
(05-14-2017, 02:44 AM)
thanksgiving

lol them using a spoof to smoke had me in a time machine. though there's no way a blunt isn't stinking up the whole house even with it.
Wingfan19
(05-14-2017, 02:44 AM)
Finished it a few minutes ago, fucking loved it. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that episode 9 though. That hits close to home, though the girl wasn't engaged in my scenario.
SirKhalid
(05-14-2017, 02:50 AM)
I got a small headache after binge watching the season. It was worth it, it was really good season.
Dusktildawn48
(05-14-2017, 02:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Dusktildawn48

so did he end up with Francesca?

Anyone?
GrapeApes
(05-14-2017, 03:00 AM)
Great season. Could skip the first 2 episodes. The show is so much better when it isn't about Devs's love life. I was rooting against Dev the entire time!

Anyone?

Did you not watch the last episode? Probably
smokeymicpot
Beat EviLore at pool.
(05-14-2017, 03:01 AM)

Originally Posted by phanphare

thanksgiving

lol them using a spoof to smoke had me in a time machine. though there's no way a blunt isn't stinking up the whole house even with it.

That episode was fantastic. On episode 9 I don't want it to end.
Herr Schwarz
(05-14-2017, 03:13 AM)
Dang son, Francesca is a hawwwwwtie.
Esiquio
(05-14-2017, 03:30 AM)

Anyone?

Scroll up and read my post. I think so, yes. To expand my thoughts: I think that the last scene is from a couple of weeks after she was SUPPOSED to leave, but didn't, hence the snow outside the window, since it's still winter in NYC. Although the lack of a ring on Francesca is obvious, and the center of the shot (giving us a hint of a happy ending) the facial expressions of the characters betray nothing, so it's really open to interpretation. That said, maybe Francesca was awake before Aziz because she was reflecting on the reality of her choice, her family back home, and having second thoughts. This is honestly the only way I could see it playing out in the next season...we can't have too happy on an antagonist, after all.

Originally Posted by smokeymicpot

That episode was fantastic. On episode 9 I don't want it to end.

Seriously. As a GAFer mentioned above, they haven't been so emotionally invested in a show ever. For me, some major parts of the stories hit me right in the soul because I've been there, man, I've been there. The absolutely best thing the show did with smaller touches is the lingering of shots, where you aren't able to avoid the fucking moment, the awkwardness, that you would in 99.9% of other shows. This is most evident in something we have rarely seen in a show like this, with the end of episode 5, where we are forced to agonize with Aziz. And I did. Man, I have felt what he was feeling in that moment. I'm projecting, but there were moments where I could see him playing out a scenario for a moment, thinking it may work, then sighing and thinking better of it..

Originally Posted by Herr Schwarz

Dang son, Francesca is a hawwwwwtie.

I don't know who she is, but damn is she smoking hot. Dude on the street knew what's up haha! God, I love foreign women...especially French ;)
Last edited by Esiquio; 05-14-2017 at 03:32 AM. Reason: fixed up wording
Reckoner
(05-14-2017, 03:59 AM)
What happened to the girl on the first episode? She most likely will appear on the third season and have some sort of clashing moment on Dev's life.
Last edited by Reckoner; 05-14-2017 at 04:45 AM.
proto
(05-14-2017, 04:24 AM)

Originally Posted by MMarston

The character was a total GAFfer

LOL. That final shot of him with his arms crossed is spot on
neptunes
(05-14-2017, 04:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Reckoner

What happened to the girl on the first episode? She must likely will appear on the third season and have some sort of clashing moment on Dev's life.

She was probably a one off thing that will never return again.
Blackhead
Redarse
(05-14-2017, 04:28 AM)
New York I Love You
Dusktildawn48
(05-14-2017, 04:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Esiquio

Scroll up and read my post. I think so, yes. To expand my thoughts: I think that the last scene is from a couple of weeks after she was SUPPOSED to leave, but didn't, hence the snow outside the window, since it's still winter in NYC. Although the lack of a ring on Francesca is obvious, and the center of the shot (giving us a hint of a happy ending) the facial expressions of the characters betray nothing, so it's really open to interpretation. That said, maybe Francesca was awake before Aziz because she was reflecting on the reality of her choice, her family back home, and having second thoughts. This is honestly the only way I could see it playing out in the next season...we can't have too happy on an antagonist, after all.

Seriously. As a GAFer mentioned above, they haven't been so emotionally invested in a show ever. For me, some major parts of the stories hit me right in the soul because I've been there, man, I've been there. The absolutely best thing the show did with smaller touches is the lingering of shots, where you aren't able to avoid the fucking moment, the awkwardness, that you would in 99.9% of other shows. This is most evident in something we have rarely seen in a show like this, with the end of episode 5, where we are forced to agonize with Aziz. And I did. Man, I have felt what he was feeling in that moment. I'm projecting, but there were moments where I could see him playing out a scenario for a moment, thinking it may work, then sighing and thinking better of it..

I don't know who she is, but damn is she smoking hot. Dude on the street knew what's up haha! God, I love foreign women...especially French ;)

Thank you. I thought it was a flash back. my wife said she was wearing different clothes
JTripper
(05-14-2017, 04:41 AM)
Just finished episode 5. That Uber ride was torture. Loved it.
Reckoner
(05-14-2017, 04:45 AM)

Originally Posted by neptunes

She was probably a one off thing that will never return again.

She was working in New York too IIRC, so I wouldn't be surprised if she returned.
phanphare
(05-14-2017, 04:54 AM)
just finished

this show is very good

man
unpopularblargh
(05-14-2017, 05:03 AM)
Binged the whole show this evening. Loved every second of it. Liked how they brought back recurring characters from the previous season in select but great moments (his agent trying to pierce his soul had me on the floor).

Also I impulse bought the vinyl of the soundtrack and I don't even own a turntable. That cover really caught my eye.
mariachi507
(05-14-2017, 05:05 AM)
"Do you wanna grab a condom from that jar?"

My god, I'm dead.
Technosteve
(05-14-2017, 05:08 AM)
Ramenaic is a woman my mind is blown
mm04
(05-14-2017, 05:09 AM)
I had forgotten how much I liked the first season until I started watching season 2. Now I'm finished and it's going to be a long wait for season 3...at least there better be a season 3! I don't know why but I got such a big kick out of all the scenes where they were just speaking Italian. Dev's enunciation and flourishes just cracked me up. Oh and I really really need to date an Italian girl one day.
JTripper
(05-14-2017, 05:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Blackhead

New York I Love You

Honestly thought this was the weakest episode so far. And I typically love stories with that narrative concept.

Originally Posted by mariachi507

"Do you wanna grab a condom from that jar?"

My god, I'm dead.

Loved that moment. The series isn't really a "laugh out loud" comedy to me but that episode had a few genuine lol moments, including that one. Son of Scatman caught me by surprise too
Last edited by JTripper; 05-14-2017 at 05:17 AM.