• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ZombiePlatypus
(05-13-2017, 05:44 PM)
I have a few items I don't use sitting at home collecting dust. I figured I'd prop them up on eBay, but upon doing some reading, I'm seeing sellers talk about how they get scammed so easily cause eBay just doesn't protect sellers.

Is this really the case? How would the site still function and have sellers on there if they were left unprotected against buyer-scams?

Am I just better off selling on Amazon marketplace?
Sorcerer Supreme
(05-13-2017, 05:45 PM)
dont sell to people with no ratings and get a tracking code when you mail stuff.
TheGamingBox
(05-13-2017, 05:45 PM)
you're better off trying to sell them locally
Vollume
(05-13-2017, 05:47 PM)
Depends on what you're selling, electronic devices is scam-city.
Plum
What Sorceror Supreme says, always get a tracking code and always check out your buyer's account before shipping. If you don't do the former there's nothing you can do if the buyer just says "it didn't come" except give them the refund.

Though eBay isn't great anyway, the cut both them and Paypal take is massive (that's before postage) and you aren't really getting any protection at all. If you're not selling 50+ items at once you might as well not exist in the grand scheme of things.
Last edited by Plum; 05-13-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Glitchesarecool
I've never had a problem selling items on Ebay, but I only use it occasionally and for not terribly expensive items. There are a lot of buyer protections in place because of scam sellers, which might be where you've heard the "bad for sellers" thing from. Document everything as you pack the item up, use their invoice system if you're really worried.

Most people using Ebay aren't scammers.
James Scott
I've sold games at a decent profit.
They do protect buyers and sellers, but if it's something time sensitive (like selling a game within its first month) it could get annoying with people not paying. Happened like 4x in a row once (but after that it stopped?)
Earthbound64
(05-13-2017, 05:48 PM)
Use the GAF B/S/T thread.
- J - D -
(05-13-2017, 05:48 PM)
I'd say don't sell to someone outside of your country. If something goes wrong it's a way bigger pain to deal with than selling domestically. Ebay generally sides with the buyer so if the buyer says somethings wrong with the item and wants a refund and you have to deal with return shipping, you'll end up eating a high cost.
capitalCORN
(05-13-2017, 05:50 PM)
I've had nothing but success, and in quick order too.
Nokagi
(05-13-2017, 05:50 PM)
I've sold hundreds of items on Ebay and never been scammed. But like anything there will be shitty people you may run into. I only ship to people within my own country and I wouldn't really advise selling high priced items cause that seems to be were most of the scamming takes place.
johnsmith
remember me
(05-13-2017, 05:56 PM)
I think it's fine for niche items and collectibles, that you can't sell locally. But if it's an iPhone or something sell it for cash locally.
Syriel
(05-13-2017, 05:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Nokagi

I've sold hundreds of items on Ebay and never been scammed. But like anything there will be shitty people you may run into. I only ship to people within my own country and I wouldn't really advise selling high priced items cause that seems to be were most of the scamming takes place.

This.

Also, make sure you follow eBay's rules.

A lot of "scam" complaints come from buyers trying to sell stuff that is against eBay rules. That means zero protection.
Seirith
(05-13-2017, 05:58 PM)
I've sold 150+ items on ebay in the last month with 0 issues.
Barzul
(05-13-2017, 06:00 PM)
So is Amazon better than eBay then? I've mostly sold on eBay and only once on Amazon.
IdreamofHIME
(05-13-2017, 06:01 PM)
Never had a problem with eBay in 15 years, but every thread about it on GAF is tales of terror. Seems like good old fashioned FUD to me.
capitalCORN
(05-13-2017, 06:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Barzul

So is Amazon better than eBay then? I've mostly sold on eBay and only once on Amazon.

I mix and match, depending on best case price. No problems with either.
Hale-XF11
(05-13-2017, 06:10 PM)
It's best to never sell high priced electronics on ebay.

That said, I've had a lot of success in the past year selling hundreds of smaller items.

However...

It's incredibly easy for buyers to scam sellers. One person recently scammed me successfully by putting in a claim to paypal that their purchase was "unauthorized" by them, after they bought the item, received it and even gave positive feedback. All they had to do was put in the claim and get their money back. They kept the item I sent them and paid nothing for it.

Even after I provided proof of tracking and positive feedback left by the buyer, paypal still ruled in the buyer's favor. Pretty shitty.
Vollume
(05-13-2017, 10:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Hale-XF11

It's best to never sell high priced electronics on ebay.

That said, I've had a lot of success in the past year selling hundreds of smaller items.

However...

It's incredibly easy for buyers to scam sellers. One person recently scammed me successfully by putting in a claim to paypal that their purchase was "unauthorized" by them, after they bought the item, received it and even gave positive feedback. All they had to do was put in the claim and get their money back. They kept the item I sent them and paid nothing for it.

Even after I provided proof of tracking and positive feedback left by the buyer, paypal still ruled in the buyer's favor. Pretty shitty.

There was no odd feedback? I know sellers can only give positive feedback which is BS, maybe that's part of the scam, give positive feedback, seller gives back and then they file a complaint.

There's a lot of scammers everywhere, even locally in person you have to be very careful, there's tons of sociopaths out there, the schemes they come up with I couldn't even dream of.
brianjones
(05-13-2017, 10:20 PM)

Originally Posted by IdreamofHIME

Never had a problem with eBay in 15 years, but every thread about it on GAF is tales of terror. Seems like good old fashioned FUD to me.

yep I've never really had any significant problems selling on ebay

I have nearly 400 transactions

GAF loves to snowball when it comes to eBay horror stories

edit: yes avoid international selling when possible.. its not worth the headache
Last edited by brianjones; 05-13-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Aztechnology
(05-13-2017, 10:21 PM)

Originally Posted by ZombiePlatypus

I have a few items I don't use sitting at home collecting dust. I figured I'd prop them up on eBay, but upon doing some reading, I'm seeing sellers talk about how they get scammed so easily cause eBay just doesn't protect sellers.

Is this really the case? How would the site still function and have sellers on there if they were left unprotected against buyer-scams?

Am I just better off selling on Amazon marketplace?

People on Amazon pay more, Amazon typically charges lower fees (depends on the item) and you tend to have far fewer issues.

Selling locally is usually your best bet if you have the option though.
NimbusD
(05-13-2017, 10:26 PM)
Yeah I use amazon for selling. Only thing that sucks is sellers can return for any reason and you're out the shipping cost.
hayejin
(05-13-2017, 10:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Vollume

There was no odd feedback? I know sellers can only give positive feedback which is BS, maybe that's part of the scam, give positive feedback, seller gives back and then they file a complaint.

There's a lot of scammers everywhere, even locally in person you have to be very careful, there's tons of sociopaths out there, the schemes they come up with I couldn't even dream of.

If buyer gives positive feedback then eBay will not honor any complaint. Shitty thing is they can still do charge ack thru credit card company and PayPal will be forced to comply.
Kyzer
RIP to Harambe, the gorilla who died
(05-13-2017, 10:27 PM)
It kind of depends on the situation and what youre trying to sell, for how much, and to who. It could be worth it but yeah theres a lot of pitfalls and obstacles to avoid
Keyser Soze
(05-13-2017, 10:28 PM)
I never had huge problems on eBay either, but I could never trust the platform to sell anything €100+

Most things I sell are €20-35, and if someone wants to be a dick about one of those, I won't lose any sleep over getting scammed out small amount. I will fight them (and have twice), but it won't annoy me.

I have a few rare sealed games, and some first print books I could sell on eBay for €100+, and I am sure I could get €500 for a few things I have, but dont want that much anxiety in my life!

Sealed Cannon Spike will stay with me for a few more years!
Last edited by Keyser Soze; 05-13-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Sectorseven
(05-13-2017, 10:31 PM)
Buyers ultimately have all the power and can scam you if they're so inclined.

That being said, it rarely happened to me while I was selling.

I would say offer free shipping on everything for your own protection, always provide tracking, and never ship internationally.

99% of the scammers will be international.
ironmang
(05-13-2017, 10:33 PM)

Originally Posted by TheGamingBox

you're better off trying to sell them locally

Pretty much. Only time I use ebay is when it's an item that you basically need to search the country to find a buyer. Otherwise I'll use gaf or craigslist. Even then I won't list an item that's worth more than like $50.

Originally Posted by Sectorseven

Buyers ultimately have all the power and can scam you if they're so inclined.

That being said, it rarely happened to me while I was selling.

I would say offer free shipping on everything for your own protection, always provide tracking, and never ship internationally.

99% of the scammers will be international.

Had a seller try to scam me on a $300 listing. Sent a piece of cardboard in a giant envelope just to have something being tracked. Wasn't a lot of fun needing to show proof that I made a police report and waiting a month to get my money back.
x Power Pad Death Stomp x
(05-13-2017, 10:37 PM)
Ship everything priority mail, make sure you ship it as fast as possible after they pay and upload the tracking number ASAP. That still won't stop you from dealing with idiots or scammers but it helps.
Maxinas
I always take pictures in all angles of the items i sell before shipping them, which time/date included. It helped me one time, when a cheeky bastard accused me of selling him a broken PS3 , which I sold as "like new", and all i did was provided paypal all the pictures i took and won the case.
jedivulcan
Yes, it is.

eBay almost universally sides with the buyer. The buyer could send you a box of rocks back, say they don't like it, or try to swap out something good for something defective.

If that's not enough, PayPal has their own chargeback and guarantee system. Even if you overcome the eBay hurder, PayPal can still hold your money, lock out your account, or take it.

Edit: eBay and PayPal employees decide things on a whim almost ignoring, contradicting, or misinterpreting their own policies to a batshit degree. They are judge and jury. Doesn't only matter who you sell to but also who's overseeing your dispute. You could have evidence against the buyer being negligent to such a blatant degree and eBay still won't give a shit.
Last edited by jedivulcan; 05-13-2017 at 10:40 PM. Reason: More on PayPal/eBay
PAULINK
I microwave steaks.
(05-13-2017, 10:38 PM)
I sell used video games exclusively via ebay, 99% of the time it's fine. Most people aren't out there to scam you, contrary to belief.
PackAPunchedMick
(05-13-2017, 10:43 PM)
I recently sold a PS4 on eBay.

Things went smoothly, got £140 for it, posted it, received the cash via PayPal.

Spent the money, 3 weeks later I was issued a refund request because the item was faulty.

The console was in perfect condition.

Fuck eBay and it's "protect the buyer" bullshit.
tearsintherain
(05-13-2017, 10:45 PM)
Most transactions go through just fine. Its just if you get scammed, you really don't have any options and you feel shitty because someone ripped you off and they keep your stuff, you get nothing, and you even sometimes get hit with credit card chargeback fees, etc. Its rare, so just a question of maybe doing some careful screening before you ship anything out.

Over nearly 10 years I've sold ~150 items on eBay, usually digital codes (DLCs, pre order bonuses, etc) and a few physical items I got as gifts and didn't want, and I've been scammed twice. In both cases, the buyer used a post box addressing forwarding system as their official address, and nearly 30 days after I sold the item I got a chargeback. In both cases they were digital goods so I couldn't "prove" I sent anything, and eBay took back all the money AND charged me $20 I think to cover credit card chargeback fees. Both times the buyers eBay account was shut down soon after, and I think it was simply a case of someone hacking an eBay account or using a stolen credit card.

I view it sorta like shops and shoplifting. All stores have to allocate a certain percentage, 5-20%, of sales as stolen goods - shoplifting, employee theft, damaged in store, whatever. Likewise, if you sell on eBay, some times you are gonna get ripped off.
PastorOfMuppets
(05-13-2017, 11:00 PM)
There's a few things you can do to mitigate eBay exploits.

• If you item is particularly valuable, require a signature upon delivery. I recently bought a hockey card for $200 and something like that would be something I'd require a signature for.
  • Only sell to buyers with high feedback scores. It's alright to be suspicious of low feedback score buyers.
  • You don't have to sell your item internationally. There are lots of countries that I'm very wary of shipping to even from high feedback scores, China is a big one. There was an exploit (might still be one) where people from China would buy items and then purposely give low feedback scores in order to downgrade their competitors and then just resell the item.
  • If you can, sell locally or sell via a hobby specific site like Head-Fi for headphones. For digital goods, I'd rather sell on NeoGaf. There's no escrow service but eBay is terrible with digital goods.
  • The people that exploit eBay the most is eBay themselves. They and Paypal take a cut of the shipping fees and the final sale so keep that in mind and list for more than you think it's worth.
Widdle Puppy
(05-13-2017, 11:03 PM)
It's not terrible but it isn't ideal. I would never sell anything on there worth more than a couple hundred bucks. Ebay takes a decent cut of what you make and there are potential scammers. It really depends what you're selling. I've sold some clothing on there and everything went well. I much prefer to sell stuff on closed message boards to people with some reputation.
sir_kevith
(05-13-2017, 11:05 PM)
I have the most issues with retro games. You'd think a cool niche hobby would attract cool people but I just straight up resent collectors now.

They know so many ways to trap you. I have a transaction like this a couple times a month: buyer sends last minute questions about condition, win the auction anyways even if I don't get to respond in time, complain about the item not being described over the most minute detail (minor crease in a manual or something you wouldn't bother taking a picture of), promise they give you good feedback if you just give a discount instead of a return (cause they do genuinely want the item but mostly want a deal to brag about).

I'm just a regular guy but I've been selling my collection to save for my wedding. It fuckin sucks how painful it is.
Hale-XF11
(05-13-2017, 11:09 PM)
As soon as someone on ebay gives me even the slightest hint of trouble, I immediately cancel their bid or order and block them. I don't fool around at all. Not worth it.
CadetMahoney
(05-13-2017, 11:15 PM)
Checking a buyers feedback is kinda bull aswell since there's a time limit before feedback "expires", last 6 months etc. Not everyone is gonna be active buying on ebay all the time so someone could look untrustworthy.

I don't know I haven't used ebay in years.
Hubbl3
(05-13-2017, 11:16 PM)

Originally Posted by PastorOfMuppets

• If you item is particularly valuable, require a signature upon delivery. I recently bought a hockey card for $200 and something like that would be something I'd require a signature for.
  • Only sell to buyers with high feedback scores. It's alright to be suspicious of low feedback score buyers.
  • You don't have to sell your item internationally. There are lots of countries that I'm very wary of shipping to even from high feedback scores, China is a big one. There was an exploit (might still be one) where people from China would buy items and then purposely give low feedback scores in order to downgrade their competitors and then just resell the item.
  • If you can, sell locally or sell via a hobby specific site like Head-Fi for headphones. For digital goods, I'd rather sell on NeoGaf. There's no escrow service but eBay is terrible with digital goods.
  • The people that exploit eBay the most is eBay themselves. They and Paypal take a cut of the shipping fees and the final sale so keep that in mind and list for more than you think it's worth.

Is there a way to block low/no feedback buyers from being able to bid or buy?

Edit: edited for clarification
Sectorseven
(05-13-2017, 11:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Hubbl3

I don't think so, at least not without the risk of negative feedback.
Shrike Alvaron
(05-13-2017, 11:34 PM)
I've sold on eBay for several years now, 262 feedback 100% positive with many more sales that didn't leave feedback. I've had a few troublesome orders, but over 99% of stuff I've sold without any issue. Indeed, most of the issues I did have were when I was selling Pokemon cards. I got hit with chargebacks a couple times on those, and since I mailed them in plain untracked envelopes had no way to appeal it. There was also one incident where I sold an old phone and the seller said wifi wasn't working so demanded that it be returned. When I got it back he was actually right, the wifi wasn't working and I could verify it was the same phone so I can only assume it broke in shipping somehow. Then there was one idiot who didn't understand about needing to use GPT partition tables on a 3TB hard drive and complained it only formatted to 2TB (the max for MBR partitions) but I was able to calm him down with a partial refund at least.

Just this last couple weeks I did run into a scam where a buyer wanted me to ship an item to a different address than on the order. That's a big red flag there and you should never do that, I just cancelled the order and said they could place it again if they wanted it sent somewhere else. They did not and just a few days ago I got a message that that account had been compromised.

Basically, so long as you make sure to ship stuff with tracking (USPS First Class and Priority Mail are your best friends especially since they get a discount on eBay) and only ship to the address on the order you'll generally be fine. Even if they do a chargeback or something, if you can provide proof of delivery that's supposed to cover you. The biggest problem comes when selling consumer electronics, such as phones and video game systems. There's the old return swap scam that I've fortunately never ran into where the buyer initiates a return but sends back a different item that is broken while keeping the working one you sent. I generally only deal in used games and PC parts though (and that Pokemon card phase).
Mammoth Jones
Banned
(05-13-2017, 11:36 PM)
I would never sell on ebay. Personally I like Craigslist. I get 100% of my asking price. No middle man.

Never failed to sell something on Craigslist.
Socivol
(05-13-2017, 11:39 PM)
I won't sell on Ebay anymore. Sold and iPhone that wasn't working had all of that information listed. Buyer bought knowing it was in nonworking condition then got it and said it didn't work and wanted to a refund. Tried to say that the phone was blocked from use (which was a lie) I provided ebay all of the communications and communication with AT&T that the phone did work. Buyer still got a refund AND never sent my phone back to me.
Aruarian Reflection
Chauffeur de la gdlk
(05-13-2017, 11:47 PM)

Originally Posted by NimbusD

Yeah I use amazon for selling. Only thing that sucks is sellers can return for any reason and you're out the shipping cost.

Selling on Amazon is horrible for that reason. Amazon will never ever side with the seller if the buyer wants to return, even if the reason is not justified.
n64coder
(05-13-2017, 11:54 PM)

Originally Posted by IdreamofHIME

Same here. I've had two returns over 400+ transactions. Both were legitimate issues caused by me. Cleared about $6K worth over the past five months as I clear out my video game collection.
Soka
(05-13-2017, 11:55 PM)
I've sold thousands of dollars worth of stuff on eBay in ~150 transactions from 2011 until today. Not once have I had an issue. No "lost" packages, no returns, no charge backs, etc.

I never ship to anyone outside of the US.
I only accept payment through eBay/PayPal.
I only ship to registered addresses listed on the paying PayPal account.
I don't sell to new accounts or accounts with bad feedback.
I insure high-value items.
I get tracking on all items.
I require signatures on high-value items and let the buyer know that ahead of time via a message on eBay.
I only communicate to the buyer on eBay's messaging system so there's a clear record of communication.

Success.

Oh, take photos. Tons of photos of every angle. I even open up my old video game carts and photograph the circuit board.
Last edited by Soka; 05-13-2017 at 11:59 PM.
WolfofMebu
(05-13-2017, 11:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Hubbl3

Believe you can only set it to stop buyers that have a feedback of -1 or greater. I have mine set up to block buyers:

Don't have PayPal.
Have received 2 unpaid item strikes within 1 month.
Have a primary shipping address in a country I don't ship too.
Have 4 policy violation reports within a month.
Have feedback score equal to or lower than -1.

I also only ship to the United States. Only do buy it know too so I don't have to deal with the non paying issue really. Tracking is always a must too.

Only ever had an issue once with a seller that tried to do a charge back, but after they had left me positive feedback. I had followed PayPal's requirements for seller protection so they gave me my money even though they didn't want to, haha.

I mostly sell stuff in the $300-$400 range, and eBay is the only place I could get that price for it. It's a great place if you have relatively rare things since you're not going to find somewhere else that reaches as many people. I do prefer to sell things like videogames and electronics locally, easier to sell stuff like that and get a reasonable price.
Seirith
(05-14-2017, 01:28 AM)

Originally Posted by PastorOfMuppets

You cannot refuse to sell to "low feedback" buyers. I have lots of 0 feedback buyers,many are guest accounts and have no issues with them.
Hale-XF11
(05-14-2017, 01:41 AM)
You can cancel a bid from someone with low feedback and then block them. I've done it several times.
Warnen
morphix's brother
(05-14-2017, 01:50 AM)
I've only had 2 bad experiences on eBay one time eBay sided with them when they sent me back an empty iPhone box and the other time sided with me when I provided proof item was delivered on my end.

Personally I avoid trouble items like phones and consoles, instant buy places or amazon gives close to what you would get minus the fees anyways so not worth risk.

Also always think am I ok with loosing this money just in case something goes wrong, if they answer is no I don't sell on eBay.

I also always pays insurance on my end just in case something goes wrong.