-
-
-
-
67% The Wall

metacritic:

*click pic(s) for source*

‘Guardians 2’ Repeats No. 1, ‘King Arthur’ Is Summer’s First Big Flop

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” continued its box office reign this weekend, while “King Arthur: Legend of the Sword” is the summer season’s first major flop.

Disney and Marvel’s super hero sequel followed up its $145 million opening weekend domestically with an additional $63 million from 4,347 locations. That’s a 57% drop, which is in line with expectations, and stronger than some other Marvel Cinematic Universe sequels, including “Avengers: Age of Ultron” and “Captain America: Civil War.” The film’s domestic total is now just shy of $250 million.

“King Arthur,” meanwhile, may just want to put that sword back where he found it and pretend this never happened. The release from Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow made only $14.7 million from 3,702 locations — a paltry sum considering its $175 million production budget.

The mythical epic starring Charlie Hunnam in the titular role was critically drubbed (it currently has a 27% on Rotten Tomatoes), but has a relatively high B+ CinemaScore. Director Guy Ritchie had success with a similar re-imagining of longstanding franchise with 2009’s “Sherlock Holmes” and its sequel “A Game of Shadows,” which both grossed over $500 million worldwide. More recently, though, his spin on “Man From U.N.C.L.E.” saw a disappointing take ($110 million globally) despite achieving a bit of a cult and critical following.

This weekend’s other major release is neither a box office heavyweight like “Guardians” nor a bust like “Arthur.” Fox’s “Snatched,” starring Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn as a mother and daughter pair, grabbed $17.5 million from 3,501 theaters, landing it in second overall. The Mother’s Day release has been less than adored by critics (from whom it has collectively earned a 36% on Rotten Tomatoes), but audiences have earned it a more positive B CinemaScore. The mid-budget, R-rated comedy was produced by Chernin Entertainment and Feigco Entertainment.

Universal’s “The Fate of the Furious” and Fox’s “Boss Baby” round out the top five. The former tacked on an additional $5.3 million from 3,067 locations this weekend, raising its domestic total to $215 million. The latter earned $4.6 million from 2,911 locations for a grand total of $162.7 million after seven frames.

One limited release managed to break into the top ten as Blumhouse’s Tilt label put out “Lowriders” in 295 locations. The film, toplined by Demian Bichir, Gabriel Chavarria, and Theo Rossi, over-performed with $2.4 million, putting it in the eighth slot overall.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*
Last edited by xaosslug; 05-14-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-14-2017, 05:02 PM)
off
Vicious
(05-14-2017, 05:02 PM)
For a minute I thought I missed the release of the new Alien movie.
Kenzodielocke
(05-14-2017, 05:03 PM)
Good job, WB.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-14-2017, 05:04 PM)
Get Out still in the top 20.Should cross 175mil this week. Good stuff.

57% drop ain't bad for Drax & co.
Jason's Ultimatum
Americans out of Mexico! The Border Tax Equity Act
(05-14-2017, 05:05 PM)
I wonder what was The Wall's budget? Anyone see it?
Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
(05-14-2017, 05:06 PM)
Oh wow, Guardians actually had a smaller drop than AOU & Civil War
Penguin
(05-14-2017, 05:07 PM)
I honestly would think a new Aliens, the Wall and something else were top releases of this week
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(05-14-2017, 05:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Bronx-Man

Oh wow, Guardians actually had a smaller drop than AOU & Civil War

Dat Slayven bump
Last edited by Slayven; 05-14-2017 at 05:19 PM.
this_guy
(05-14-2017, 05:08 PM)
F8 of the Furious's domestic take is a little disappointing. Where do we expect GotG2 to finish on the domestic side compared to the first?
zeemumu
Poor King Arthur's gonna get thrown in the pit with Gods of Egypt, where they all look to Waterworld for leadership.
mreddie
Ok, that 2nd half of the title makes up for the first half only because I haven't seen dick about Wall.
kswiston
Worldwide updates

Beauty and the Beast - $1.207B
Fate of the Furious - $1.193B
Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 - $631M
King Arthur - $44M
Jason's Ultimatum
Americans out of Mexico! The Border Tax Equity Act
(05-14-2017, 05:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Penguin

I honestly would think a new Aliens, the Wall and something else were top releases of this week

Well the theatre count for The Wall is low. I think it's more of a limited release.
Ahasverus
(05-14-2017, 05:09 PM)
The titles get worse every week hahaha.

King Arthur at 3 is embarrassing, especially given the number 2.
mreddie
(05-14-2017, 05:10 PM)
And fucking Blumhouse, making dollars over 15 cents.
Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
(05-14-2017, 05:10 PM)
Everything I've seen from the King Arthur movie just makes me wanna rewatch A Knight's Tale.
Ridley327
(05-14-2017, 05:11 PM)
I have no idea why WB went ahead with King Arthur when they already had a successful franchise with Guy Ritchie in Sherlock Holmes. Does Disney have free reign over Downey's free time that's making it take so long for a third film to happen? Everyone involved seems to want it to happen, so I don't know what's going on there.
Sad Affleck
(05-14-2017, 05:11 PM)
So what are the updated predictions for GotG's worldwide total?
Plasticine
(05-14-2017, 05:12 PM)
WB probably wishing they had left this sword in the stone.
mreddie
(05-14-2017, 05:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Ridley327

I have no idea why WB went ahead with King Arthur when they already had a successful franchise with Guy Ritchie in Sherlock Holmes. Does Disney have free reign over Downey's free time that's making it take so long for a third film to happen? Everyone involved seems to want it to happen, so I don't know what's going on there.

Ritchie wanted to make this over Holmes 3.
Ridley327
(05-14-2017, 05:14 PM)

Originally Posted by mreddie

Yikes, he's a damn fool.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(05-14-2017, 05:19 PM)

Everything I've seen from the King Arthur movie just makes me wanna rewatch A Knight's Tale.

I been enjoying the reviews.
jett
D-Member
(05-14-2017, 05:21 PM)
lol I thought this was about that Matt Damon Great Wall movie, was wondering "didn't that open already."

Why would you waste space on the thread title for some john cena shit. So much material to play with this weekend man.
Last edited by jett; 05-14-2017 at 05:23 PM.
mreddie
(05-14-2017, 05:22 PM)

Originally Posted by jett

lol I thought this was about that Matt Damon Great Wall movie, was wondering "didn't that open already."

Why would you waste space on the thread title for some john cena shit.

slug hates puns.
Melkr_
(05-14-2017, 05:23 PM)

Now we know why Madonna divorced him.
cartographer
(05-14-2017, 05:25 PM)
Black Knight made $33.4 million domestic.

Arthur needs a 2.2 multiplier to reach it.

This should be fun.
kswiston
(05-14-2017, 05:30 PM)
Power Rangers opened to $3.3M in China. It might not hit $5M there.

Dangal has broken out in China, and has grossed $56M there in two weekends. It might end up outgrossing GotG2 in China.
andythinkpad
(05-14-2017, 05:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Melkr_

Now we know why Madonna divorced him.

Madonna made him choose between Arthur and her hehehe.
DeathyBoy
(05-14-2017, 05:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Ridley327

Yikes, he's a damn fool.

He gets bored easily. Rock n Rolla was meant to be a trilogy. The bullocks he spouted about directing six King Arthur films...
Freeza Under The Shower
(05-14-2017, 05:35 PM)
where are the aliens? ... oh, guardians... You know I thought that implied Covenant instead.
ZeoVGM
formerly omg rite
(05-14-2017, 05:38 PM)

Originally Posted by this_guy

F8 of the Furious's domestic take is a little disappointing.

Huh? It's above Fast Five and will end up just below Fast & Furious 6.

Furious 7's $353m domestically is an outlier and is a bit of an unfair expectation for movies that follow it.
SnowFlakeCake
(05-14-2017, 05:41 PM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

Power Rangers opened to $3.3M in China. It might not hit $5M there.

Dangal has broken out in China, and has grossed $56M there in two weekends. It might end up outgrossing GotG2 in China.

That would be deserved with Dangal being better than Galaxy 2 and all.
Obliterator
cousin investments
(05-14-2017, 05:43 PM)
Good lord at that King Arthur bomb.

Gonna probably be difficult to top that for biggest failure of 2017
MartyStu
(05-14-2017, 05:50 PM)

Jesus. Why?

The Holmes movies may be loud and cacophonous, but they are also fun.
shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(05-14-2017, 05:51 PM)
What is going on with this title
Lights and Waves
(05-14-2017, 05:53 PM)
Title of the thread is kinda misleading this week.
jett
D-Member
(05-14-2017, 05:54 PM)
Speaking of the actual Alien movie, any foreign figures?
GraveRobberX
Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
(05-14-2017, 05:55 PM)
Great job confusing the fuck out of me with title

I was like Matt Damon came out so long ago and Alien Covenant released already?

Well played

Usually I'm in the know on releases, but this title, GG xao
Bronx-Man
(05-14-2017, 05:56 PM)
I mean, does or doesn't Guardians of the Galaxy feature aliens in its main cast?
Dash_Riprock
(05-14-2017, 05:59 PM)

Thats up there with Will Smith turning down the role of Neo...
GraveRobberX
Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
(05-14-2017, 06:00 PM)

I mean, does or doesn't Guardians of the Galaxy feature aliens in its main cast?

True, but Aliens do have a Covenant that's releasing soon, so a lot of brain waves and synapses fired off all wrong while reading thread title
Litan
(05-14-2017, 06:00 PM)
Xaoss knows exactly what he's doing.
jett
D-Member
(05-14-2017, 06:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Litan

Xaoss knows exactly what he's doing.

Are we dispelling the notion that he doesn't?
Lothar
(05-14-2017, 06:04 PM)
What happened with The Circle? I would have thought Tom Hanks and Emma Watson had more drawing power than that, even if it was a bad movie. Bad reviews aren't stopping people from going see Snatched.
GabeTheGrouch76
(05-14-2017, 06:04 PM)
Kudos to Dash Riprock, he called King Arthur opening below expectations at a sub-$20M number. :v

The pressure for WW to succeed will be even stronger now, otherwise that would only leave, what, Nolan's Dunkirk to save WB from a hitless summer?
Ridley327
(05-14-2017, 06:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Lothar

What happened with The Circle? I would have thought Tom Hanks and Emma Watson had more drawing power than that, even if it was a bad movie. Bad reviews aren't stopping people from going see Snatched.

It has a completely uninteresting and outdated concept driving its plot.
AntraxSuicide
(05-14-2017, 06:10 PM)
I haven't been paying attention to some of these so I almost spit out my drink over the King Arthur budget. Who in the hell thought that much money thrown at a King Arthur movie in 2017 was a good idea? Jesus

edit: And to that end, I didn't keep up with The Circle's budget either. Thought it wouldn't do well (correct) but I thought that meant it'd be a bomb (definitely won't profit but that budget is tight so it's not that bad).
Poor GRIMES
Banned
(05-14-2017, 06:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Lothar

Star power isn't a thing.

Snatched fulfills a niche no other movie right now can fulfill: a female led adult comedy film.
Dash_Riprock
(05-14-2017, 06:13 PM)

Originally Posted by GabeTheGrouch76

Kudos to Dash Riprock, he called King Arthur opening below expectations at a sub-$20M number. :v

The pressure for WW to succeed will be even stronger now, otherwise that would only leave, what, Nolan's Dunkirk to save WB from a hitless summer?

Pretty sure Kswis called it long before I did ;-)

Originally Posted by AntraxSuicide

I haven't been paying attention to some of these so I almost spit out my drink over the King Arthur budget. Who in the hell thought that much money thrown at a King Arthur movie in 2017 was a good idea? Jesus

The same studio that gave keeps giving Zack Snyder and the Wachowskis a chance, and who thought this would be the first of a SIX film tentpole (LMFAO).