• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
(05-14-2017, 06:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Poor GRIMES

Star power isn't a thing.

There's a lot of Ghost in the Shell defenders that kept telling me otherwise
starchild excalibur
(05-14-2017, 06:16 PM)
Those King Arthur numbers are pretty amazing - both the budget and its opening weekend tally.

I'd like to see him return to smaller budgeted films, but I doubt he ever will unless he has a series of big bombs, which won't happen anytime soon as long as he's still directing Aladdin.

Originally Posted by Lothar

What happened with The Circle? I would have thought Tom Hanks and Emma Watson had more drawing power than that, even if it was a bad movie. Bad reviews aren't stopping people from going see Snatched.

Snatched didn't do amazing numbers and I doubt that the majority of people went to see it because of Amy Schumer or Goldie Hawn. I saw it with my girlfriend yesterday and the room was mostly females above 25. I'm sure some were fans of them, but many of them probably just came out to see it because there's a relative dearth of female-led action comedies and/or because they just thought it looked funny.
Ronin Ray
(05-14-2017, 06:17 PM)
I feel like every new King Arthur and Robin Hood movie flops but studios keep making them. There also stories that have been done to death.
LFMartins86
(05-14-2017, 06:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Dash_Riprock

The same studio that gave keeps giving Zack Snyder and the Wachowskis a chance, and who thought this would be the first of a SIX film tentpole (LMFAO).

And the same studio who gave 150M$ for a stylish sequel of a forgotten franchise.
Warner Bros risk taking isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Dash_Riprock
(05-14-2017, 06:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Ronin Ray

I feel like every new King Arthur and Robin Hood movie flops but studios keep making them. There also stories that have been done to death.

Please. Comic book films have been "done to death" but they still make bank and get good critic reviews (well, the MCU ones at least).

It doesn't matter that a story has been "done to death." It just matters that the movie is GOOD. This and Ridley Scott's Robin Hood film were both ten different levels of shit that showed no respect for the original legends and just used them as a base for the directors to do their own bullshit nobody asked for.

Originally Posted by mreddie

Robin Hood Origins is coming next year.

-Lionsgate

-Nobody director

-3 different writers

-"Origins" in the title implying another bullshit prequel no one asked for.

Ouch, here we go again...
Last edited by Dash_Riprock; 05-14-2017 at 06:26 PM.
mreddie
(05-14-2017, 06:23 PM)

Ronin Ray
(05-14-2017, 06:32 PM)

Please. Comic book films have been "done to death" but they still make bank and get good critic reviews (well, the MCU ones at least).

It doesn't matter that a story has been "done to death." It just matters that the movie is GOOD. This and Ridley Scott's Robin Hood film were both ten different levels of shit that showed no respect for the original legends and just used them as a base for the directors to do their own bullshit nobody asked for.

-Lionsgate

-Nobody director

-3 different writers

Not sure how your turned my post into a comic book movie rant but good job and that next movie will flop too. I guess studios can turn out a couple more white washed Egyptian movies and have those flop also.
J_Viper
(05-14-2017, 06:32 PM)

I'm pretty sure there's a new Robin Hood filming right now lol
Kusagari
(05-14-2017, 06:33 PM)
Unless you do something completely bizarre with the property, and no adding dragons doesn't count, then they need to stop making Robin Hood, King Arthur, etc. movies. They've been done to death and nobody gives a shit any more.
Lothar
(05-14-2017, 06:34 PM)

Originally Posted by starchild excalibur

Snatched didn't do amazing numbers and I doubt that the majority of people went to see it because of Amy Schumer or Goldie Hawn. I saw it with my girlfriend yesterday and the room was mostly females above 25. I'm sure some were fans of them, but many of them probably just came out to see it because there's a relative dearth of female-led action comedies and/or because they just thought it looked funny.

How was it? Did the two of you like it?
Ronin Ray
(05-14-2017, 06:34 PM)

Robin hood, King Arthur and Zorro cinematic universe's coming soon. Who else can we throw in?
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(05-14-2017, 06:35 PM)
ALIEN: COVENANT: $42M Overseas Debut (34 Markets)
https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/863806202492465153

No idea if that's good, or what markets, but there it is.
SirClinksAlot
(05-14-2017, 06:36 PM)
The trailers for King Arthur were terrible. I still gotta see GOTG maybe I should do that this week.
Ahasverus
(05-14-2017, 06:38 PM)

The same studio that gave keeps giving Zack Snyder and the Wachowskis a chance, and who thought this would be the first of a SIX film tentpole (LMFAO).

Snyder's movies make money and the Wachowskis are making bank with Sense 8.
Ronin Ray
(05-14-2017, 06:39 PM)

Originally Posted by J_Viper

I'm pretty sure there's a new Robin Hood filming right now lol

How are they going to try and make this one cool and different ?
Dash_Riprock
(05-14-2017, 06:40 PM)

"Origins"
shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(05-14-2017, 06:40 PM)

By having the amazing actor from Kingsman, teamed up with Jamie Foxx!
Rymuth
(05-14-2017, 06:41 PM)
The Wall, yikes D:
Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
(05-14-2017, 06:41 PM)

"Origins"

'The Untold Story'
Ronin Ray
(05-14-2017, 06:44 PM)

Originally Posted by shintoki

I rather have dinosaurs and set it in a future apocalypse. I mean the movie is going to flop either way so just go full bat shit crazy.
Hero_of_the_Day
(05-14-2017, 06:47 PM)
Damn, King Arthur gonna lose some money.

Legend of the Sword is such a shit generic title.
Calm waterfall
(05-14-2017, 06:49 PM)
King Arthur production Budget: $175 million. What a big flop.
Mrbob
how can the baaasheep
enjoy the shootbang?
(05-14-2017, 06:54 PM)
King Arthur mega bomba, wow.

Ritchie wanted to make this over Holmes 3.

Guess he'll be making Holmes movies for life now.
Ridley327
(05-14-2017, 06:58 PM)

Originally Posted by shintoki

Foxx is Little John? I can't wait to see how they explain how he got his name, since for damn sure isn't because he's tall.

At least Ben Mendelsohn is a great pick for the Sheriff.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(05-14-2017, 07:01 PM)

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

We have to lure Kswis out

xaosslug
Shane Kim's pre-cum
shall drench unbelievers
(05-14-2017, 07:08 PM)
so, like, at what point does Hollywood stop casting Charlie Hunnam as lead? RIP.
Bronx-Man
(05-14-2017, 07:10 PM)

Originally Posted by xaosslug

so, like, at what point does Hollywood stop casting Charlie Hunnam as lead? RIP.

If it's not Charlie, it's gonna be some other uncharismatic Australian hunk of wood from Sons of Anarchy.
BronsonLee
(05-14-2017, 07:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Ahasverus

Snyder's movies make money and the Wachowskis are making bank with Sense 8.

Wachowskis got banished to Netflix Jail after Cloud Atlas + Jupiter Janitor
xaosslug
Shane Kim's pre-cum
shall drench unbelievers
(05-14-2017, 07:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Mrbob

Guess he'll be making Holmes movies for life now.

isn't he on the live action Aladdin? Now, if he fumbles THAT... x_x
Theecliff
(05-14-2017, 07:11 PM)

he gave a genuinely good performance in lost city of z.
jett
D-Member
(05-14-2017, 07:13 PM)

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

https://www.thewrap.com/prometheus-l...-office-42511/

Prometheus grossed 35M in 15 markets.

So I guess that's not that great. Not going 3D might be hurting it internationally.
Xyrmellon
(05-14-2017, 07:13 PM)
I still haven't seen a lick of marketing for Boss Baby yet it's grossed 160 million.
J_Viper
(05-14-2017, 07:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Bronx-Man

If it's not Charlie, it's gonna be some other uncharismatic Australian hunk of wood from Sons of Anarchy.

The supporting cast in SoA is actually pretty solid lol
Slayven
(05-14-2017, 07:34 PM)

A better question is when will Hollywood stop casting people that are part of huge cable ensembles as leads.

Has anyone from GoT broke the curse?
excelsiorlef
(05-14-2017, 07:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Bronx-Man

Oh wow, Guardians actually had a smaller drop than AOU & Civil War

Well deserved for the best MCU yet.
AndersK
(05-14-2017, 07:36 PM)

Originally Posted by J_Viper

The supporting cast in SoA is actually pretty solid lol

Yup. Not their fault Kurt Sutter never thought 'Should I' instead of 'Could I'.

MVP Chibs was even in GotG vol 2.
starchild excalibur
(05-14-2017, 07:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Lothar

How was it? Did the two of you like it?

Sadly, the funniest characters were the side characters. Christopher Meloni was great in it as always, and the doctor (I think one of the side actors from Broad City) and his sidekick that show up about halfway through are pretty good in it, too. The relationship between Ike Barinholtz's character and this government official was also pretty funny.

But we like more absurdist humor and it felt like these minor characters were allowed to be more absurd. Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn weren't as amusing as they should have been for lead characters. The first third of the movie, which mostly just follows these two actors until they meet up with Meloni, really dragged for us. They're the weakest links in their own movie. And I haven't seen a lot of Goldie Hawn's older films, but her acting in it is incredibly stiff and mediocre a lot of the time.

It's an amusing enough film just for the few moments with the side characters that shine, but it's nothing you need to see on the big screen unless you're super compelled to do so.
shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(05-14-2017, 07:40 PM)

Originally Posted by jett

https://www.thewrap.com/prometheus-l...-office-42511/

Prometheus grossed 35M in 15 markets.

So I guess that's not that great. Not going 3D might be hurting it internationally.

Isn't the international dollar though, pretty heavily too from then?
Ridley327
(05-14-2017, 07:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Slayven

A better question is when will Hollywood stop casting people that are part of huge cable ensembles as leads.

We probably won't know for sure until Aquaman, though Jason Momoa's current streak as a lead in a film isn't particularly inspiring. At least he seems pretty entertaining, unlike the black hole of charisma that is Emilia Clarke. Based off of Seven Days in Hell, Kit Harrington could have a promising career as a more comedic actor, but alas, every role he gets is for variations on Jon Snow.
ZeoVGM
formerly omg rite
(05-14-2017, 07:41 PM)

Originally Posted by excelsiorlef

Well deserved for the best MCU yet.

That fatigue is coming any day now.

Annnyyyyy day now.
ElBoxyBrown
(05-14-2017, 07:42 PM)

-Lionsgate

-Nobody director

-3 different writers

I think the answer is, nobody is interested in these tired ass stories. Unless Robin Hood is gonna do something drastically different and a director has confidence why should we be excited? You want Robin Hood go watch the 70s Disney animated movie. That's the only Robin Hood you need.
jmood88
(05-14-2017, 07:43 PM)
The more these shared universe movies keep failing, the more I appreciate Kevin Feige. Making successful movies is hard enough and to do it as consistently as Marvel does takes skill.
AndersK
(05-14-2017, 07:44 PM)

Originally Posted by ZeoVGM

That fatigue is coming any day now.

Annnyyyyy day now.

Lol, yeah. If actuals hold the second weekend drop is 57 % compared to Gotg 1's 55,3 percent drop. That seems rather nice actually.
GAMEPROFF
(05-14-2017, 07:45 PM)

Originally Posted by jmood88

The more these shared universe movies keep failing, the more I appreciate Kevin Feige. Making successful movies is hard enough and to do it as consistently as Marvel does takes skill.

It makes a bit afraid of the Kaijuverse.
Especially since I dont think there is success for brands outside of Kong and Godzilla.
Diprosalic
(05-14-2017, 07:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Slayven

Lena Headey was a main role on the first Purge which was a massive sucess.

fwiw
ElBoxyBrown
(05-14-2017, 07:47 PM)

Originally Posted by jmood88

Monster Universe seems to be doing fine. It's producing positive results compared to others.
Violence Jack
(05-14-2017, 07:48 PM)
Any chance this kicks Ritchie out of the Aladdin job, or is Disney and that license way too bomb-proof for it to really matter?

Valerian is next. I'm praying that doesn't bomb as bad as KA.
Ridley327
(05-14-2017, 07:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Diprosalic

Lena Headey was a main role on the first Purge which was a massive sucess.

fwiw

Most of the veteran actors on the show had pretty long and storied careers prior to GoT, Headey included. They also still largely operate in supporting roles outside of the show, so it's not directly comparable with the pushes that Clarke and Harrington have gotten.
Slayven
(05-14-2017, 07:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Ridley327

We probably won't know for sure until Aquaman, though Jason Momoa's current streak as a lead in a film isn't particularly inspiring. At least he seems pretty entertaining, unlike the black hole of charisma that is Emilia Clarke. Based off of Seven Days in Hell, Kit Harrington could have a promising career as a more comedic actor, but alas, every role he gets is for variations on Jon Snow.

Jason Momoa doesn't count

Conan was great UNTIL he showed up. Little kid Conan was crazy as hell
ElBoxyBrown
(05-14-2017, 07:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Violence Jack

Any chance this kicks Ritchie out of the Aladdin job, or is Disney and that license way too bomb-proof for it to really matter?

Valerian is next. I'm praying that doesn't bomb as bad as KA.

Beauty and the Beast didn't get overwhelming stellar reviews and it did records at the BO.