• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Ridley327
(05-14-2017, 07:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Slayven

Jason Momoa doesn't count

Yeah, I figured that would be the one to bring up, though lets face it: even if it was Arnold reprising, it was still a Marcus Nispel film at the end of the day.
Measley
(05-14-2017, 07:52 PM)
The trailers for King Arthur looked disjointed and obnoxious. I don't know who put those trailers together, but they didn't entice me to go out and see the movie.

Riduculous that he made this debacle over Sherlock Holmes. I wanted a trilogy damnit!
GAMEPROFF
(05-14-2017, 07:59 PM)

Conan was great UNTIL he showed up. Little kid Conan was crazy as hell

Why do you remind me of that movie? :(
Sulik2
Banned
(05-14-2017, 08:29 PM)
I feel like 4 months from now some amateur editor in a weekend with the bluray is gonna make King Arthur into a better film then an experienced director with a $200 million dollar budget made.
Fancyarcher
(05-14-2017, 08:33 PM)
What a true bomb for a king.

Originally Posted by Sulik2

I feel like 4 months from now some amateur editor in a weekend with the bluray is gonna make King Arthur into a better film then an experienced director with a $200 million dollar budget made.

Well I doubt he'll have the pressures of higher-up executives trying to reshoot things & make it all worse.
Mrbob
how can the baaasheep
enjoy the shootbang?
(05-14-2017, 08:35 PM)

Originally Posted by ZeoVGM

That fatigue is coming any day now.

Annnyyyyy day now.

Aren't GotG 1 and 2 considered exceptions to the MCU formula?

Not sure how this all works anymore. Loved GotG 2.
Schlorgan
(05-14-2017, 08:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Mrbob

Aren't GotG 1 and 2 considered exceptions to the MCU formula?

Not sure how this all works anymore. Loved GotG 2.

They're all garbage for kids that wish they could be as intelligent as BvS.

;P
Biggest-Geek-Ever
(05-14-2017, 08:41 PM)
BOM has a breakdown of Alien: Covenant's overseas opening:

South Korea - $7.2m (+52.58% vs. Prometheus Opening)
United Kingdom - $6.4m (-39.85% vs. Prometheus Opening)
France - $4.53m (-38.41% vs. Prometheus Opening)
Australia - $3.09m (-79.40% vs. Prometheus Opening)
Mexico - $2.46m (-24.90% vs. Prometheus Opening)
Spain - $1.9m (-71.63% vs. Prometheus Opening)
Hong Kong - $1.76m (+17.24% vs. Prometheus Opening)
Brazil - $1.63m (-52.47% vs. Prometheus Opening)
Italy - $1.29m (-66.68% vs. Prometheus Opening)

Some troubling results in countries that haven't seen growth since 2012. Worse exchange rates only account for so much. I don't see it breaking $40M opening domestically.
GAMEPROFF
(05-14-2017, 08:45 PM)
Good. Maybe a sign that its time to kill the franchise on the big screen.
AnotherDayAnotherDollar
(05-14-2017, 08:48 PM)

Originally Posted by GAMEPROFF

Good. Maybe a sign that its time to kill the franchise on the big screen.

Fox never kills anything on the big screen. They will keep trying.
GAMEPROFF
(05-14-2017, 08:52 PM)

Originally Posted by AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Fox never kills anything on the big screen. They will keep trying.

Then they can kick Ridley from the franchise. Something I also would be fine with.
Triggerhappytel
(05-14-2017, 09:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Diprosalic

Lena Headey was a main role on the first Purge which was a massive sucess.

fwiw

She's been a good actress for a long time; it's just that GoT is (like many) where her popularity exploded. She was a fucking amazing villain as Ma-Ma in Dredd.

I thought he was perfect for the role, but almost everything about that film was wrong. Such a damn waste of potential.
xaosslug
Shane Kim's pre-cum
shall drench unbelievers
(05-14-2017, 09:09 PM)
ww chart added
FTF
(05-14-2017, 09:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Biggest-Geek-Ever

BOM has a breakdown of Alien: Covenant's overseas opening:

South Korea - $7.2m (+52.58% vs. Prometheus Opening)
United Kingdom - $6.4m (-39.85% vs. Prometheus Opening)
France - $4.53m (-38.41% vs. Prometheus Opening)
Australia - $3.09m (-79.40% vs. Prometheus Opening)
Mexico - $2.46m (-24.90% vs. Prometheus Opening)
Spain - $1.9m (-71.63% vs. Prometheus Opening)
Hong Kong - $1.76m (+17.24% vs. Prometheus Opening)
Brazil - $1.63m (-52.47% vs. Prometheus Opening)
Italy - $1.29m (-66.68% vs. Prometheus Opening)

Some troubling results in countries that haven't seen growth since 2012. Worse exchange rates only account for so much. I don't see it breaking $40M opening domestically.

I think it can def hit $40m ow with Alien and Ridley's name. Prometheus hit $50m so that's a doable goal I think. But ill will from Prometheus will hurt it I guess.
Beren the Empty-Handed
(05-14-2017, 09:39 PM)
King Arthur flopped.

I'm so, so shocked.

Lol, that was always a terrible idea.
Kusagari
(05-14-2017, 09:41 PM)
Alien's not going anywhere. If anything they'll try to reduce the budgets.
faridmon
(05-14-2017, 09:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Xyrmellon

I still haven't seen a lick of marketing for Boss Baby yet it's grossed 160 million.

Its everywhere her in Brum UK. From adverts on Busses to Giant Billboard and sponsorship deals with various fast food outlets
Kart94
(05-14-2017, 09:46 PM)
Went to see Guardians yesterday. It was a great time. Probably better than the first.

Anyway, the trailers of King Arthur looked like garbage. No wonder nobody went to see.
MHWilliams
(05-14-2017, 09:52 PM)
I was wondering why Alien was below King Arthur, but there was no domestic release, so that covers that.
FoneBone
(05-14-2017, 09:58 PM)
No franchise is dead forever if there's money to be made (AvP reboot in the next 10 or so years, maybe?) but I'm betting that those Ridley-directed Covenant sequels/prequels/whatever will never happen.
Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
(05-14-2017, 09:59 PM)
Between Covenant and the (rumored) $200 million budget for Blade Runner 2049, Ridley Scott franchises might be going 0-for-2 this year.
clearacell
(05-14-2017, 10:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Poor GRIMES

Star power isn't a thing.

Snatched fulfills a niche no other movie right now can fulfill: a female led adult comedy film.

I feel like "Rough Night" is gonna be a surprise hit, even though I think it looks really dumb...but then again I though bad mom's was a dumb premise and i really liked that movie.
3N16MA
(05-14-2017, 10:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Bronx-Man

Between Covenant and the (rumored) $200 million budget for Blade Runner 2049, Ridley Scott franchises might be going 0-for-2 this year.

I won't believe 200M until someone provides something more solid.
Cuburt
(05-14-2017, 10:11 PM)
Who asked for a $175M King Arthur film? lol

These execs have a hat full of random IPs and another hat full of directors and that is the extent of deciding what films get greenlit.
DeathyBoy
(05-14-2017, 10:37 PM)

Originally Posted by jmood88

The more these shared universe movies keep failing, the more I appreciate Kevin Feige. Making successful movies is hard enough and to do it as consistently as Marvel does takes skill.

Yep. Doesn't hurt that they kept budgets low-ish until they were guaranteed box office.
broncobuster
(05-14-2017, 10:38 PM)
It's strange how they went with an anachronistic, Guy Richie-punk King Arthur. That Clive Owen King Arthur movie also got weird, like they were chasing Gladiator. Excalibur also also was weird, but pretty dope for it. What I'm getting at is why they didn't try and make a typical fantasy movie on Arthurian legend.
Timu
(05-14-2017, 10:38 PM)
King Arthur's budget was 175 million...and it only made 43 million on it's opening weekend...it's dead.
MHWilliams
(05-14-2017, 10:40 PM)

Originally Posted by jmood88

The more these shared universe movies keep failing, the more I appreciate Kevin Feige. Making successful movies is hard enough and to do it as consistently as Marvel does takes skill.

Making good movies period is pretty hard. What Feige and co have pulled off over at Marvel is amazing.
djplaeskool
(05-14-2017, 10:41 PM)
I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that Boss Baby has been in the top 5 for domestic gross for two months.
Discotheque
Pam Oliver sextape
(05-14-2017, 10:42 PM)

Originally Posted by broncobuster

It's strange how they went with an anachronistic, Guy Richie-punk King Arthur. That Clive Owen King Arthur movie also got weird, like they were chasing Gladiator. Excalibur also also was weird, but pretty dope for it. What I'm getting at is why they didn't try and make a typical fantasy movie on Arthurian legend.

They basically did with this latest one. The Ritchie scenes are few and far between in the latest movie which sucks because those are so good.

Oh well. It didn't work out but it was a lot better than the last king arthur movie. Excalibur and Monty Python won't be topped tho
Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
(05-14-2017, 10:46 PM)
We already got the GOAT medieval movie years ago

broncobuster
(05-14-2017, 10:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Discotheque

They basically did with this latest one. The Ritchie scenes are few and far between in the latest movie which sucks because those are so good.

Oh well. It didn't work out but it was a lot better than the last king arthur movie. Excalibur and Monty Python won't be topped tho

I'm still interested to see King Arthur, just probably not in theaters. And I'd probably be into the weirder aspects.

WB's biggest movies of the past 15 years were LOTR and The Hobbit movies. Arthurian legend isn't 1:1 with Middle Earth, but making, or at least selling, a movie like that might've made more sense.
AntraxSuicide
(05-14-2017, 10:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Dash_Riprock

Please. Comic book films have been "done to death" but they still make bank and get good critic reviews (well, the MCU ones at least).

It doesn't matter that a story has been "done to death." It just matters that the movie is GOOD. This and Ridley Scott's Robin Hood film were both ten different levels of shit that showed no respect for the original legends and just used them as a base for the directors to do their own bullshit nobody asked for.

There's a difference between movies that happen to be formulaic and movies that are literally telling the same story over and over again.

Compare "Iron Man uses the familiar story beat that the main character's old employee turns out to be bad" with "literally everyone already knows every story beat down to the names of characters in King Arthur/Robin Hood/etc..."

To say it another way, most people don't know anything about most comic book movie characters other than the main character (with some exception for some villains). But it would be really hard to find a person who doesn't know the Sword and the Stone schtick.
jett
D-Member
(05-14-2017, 10:58 PM)
Excalibur isn't even that good. Kinda lame even.

King Arthur got it rough.
Sorcerer
(05-14-2017, 11:09 PM)

It seems only Monty Python were able to get it right.
Last edited by Sorcerer; 05-14-2017 at 11:12 PM.
jett
D-Member
(05-14-2017, 11:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Bronx-Man

We already got the GOAT medieval movie years ago

Just found out this movie has an extended cut!

But it's not available on bluray.

Sad times.
Culex
(05-14-2017, 11:24 PM)
Get Out finally broke 170 mil gross domestic profit. Amazing!
Zackat
(05-14-2017, 11:25 PM)
A Knight's Tale and The Shawshank Redemption always get rewatched whenever I pass over them while channel surfing. Love those movies.
kswiston
(05-14-2017, 11:27 PM)

We have to lure Kswis out

Mother's Day + married with a kid = a busy Sunday

Alien Covenant's quoted budget was around $110M so it should be fine. I don't know if Ridley will get his 4 sequels or whatever, but I doubt it flops.
Jarnet87
(05-14-2017, 11:28 PM)
$175 Million budget for King Arthur. Stop the madness.
GiantBombGamer
(05-14-2017, 11:28 PM)
Thats a shame, I enjoyed King Arthur for what it was.
Schlorgan
(05-14-2017, 11:38 PM)

I'm still interested to see King Arthur, just probably not in theaters. And I'd probably be into the weirder aspects.

WB's biggest movies of the past 15 years were LOTR and The Hobbit movies. Arthurian legend isn't 1:1 with Middle Earth, but making, or at least selling, a movie like that might've made more sense.

Don't forget Nolan Batman movies and Harry Potter.
CadetMahoney
(05-14-2017, 11:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Cuburt

Who asked for a $175M King Arthur film? lol

These execs have a hat full of random IPs and another hat full of directors and that is the extent of deciding what films get greenlit.

I remember reading somewhere about scams finance-wise in the film industry regarding films, possibly not direct scams but akin to money laundering and such juggling of moeny, forgot the details.

I'm not talking about that particular one where they make films in order to bomb, but somehow make money from it in some convoluted way.
jett
D-Member
(05-14-2017, 11:42 PM)
WB gonna fast-track dat Matrix Cinematic Universe reboot any second now.
kswiston
(05-14-2017, 11:51 PM)

Originally Posted by jett

Colin Trevorrow will be looking for work after 2019.
Sulik2
Banned
(05-14-2017, 11:53 PM)

Just make the Matrix Resurrection, its not like Keanu can't still do action movies and the Waschowski's getting a full budget again would probably leap at it.
kswiston
(05-14-2017, 11:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Sulik2

Waschowski's getting a full budget again would probably leap at it.

WB is not going to ask them back for a Matrix reboot/sequel.
DeathyBoy
(05-14-2017, 11:58 PM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

WB is not going to ask them back for a Matrix reboot/sequel.

Rather isn't doing anything
broncobuster
(05-15-2017, 12:00 AM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

Colin Trevorrow will be looking for work after 2019.

Unsure about post-Warcraft, but Warners had Duncan Jones on the short list for Man of Steel. His sensibilities line up well with a Matrix project, should they revive it. 2019 is the 20th anniversary after all.

edit: doubled checked and wow, Warcraft did nearly 90% of its business internationally. Didn't do as poorly as I was led to believe.
Last edited by broncobuster; 05-15-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Biggest-Geek-Ever
(05-15-2017, 12:02 AM)

Maybe WB will ask Nolan if Dunkirk doesn't do too well.