• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

kswiston
(05-15-2017, 12:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Biggest-Geek-Ever

Maybe WB will ask Nolan if Dunkirk doesn't do too well.

I think that Nolan has earned 2-3 misses before director jail. His last 4 films have grossed over $3.5B
J_Viper
(05-15-2017, 12:28 AM)
I think it's cool that WB still keeps the directors they like around even when they bomba
kswiston
(05-15-2017, 12:30 AM)
Anyone want to throw out some final guesses for Alien Covenant next weekend?

Under/over $35M?
ElBoxyBrown
(05-15-2017, 12:32 AM)

Originally Posted by J_Viper

I think it's cool that WB still keeps the directors they like around even when they bomba

In other words, "You only fail upwards."
DMczaf
(05-15-2017, 12:36 AM)
If WB reboots The Matrix, will it be called The Matrix Reboot?

🤔🤔🤔🤔
Dash_Riprock
(05-15-2017, 12:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Cuburt

Who asked for a $175M King Arthur film? lol

These execs have a hat full of random IPs and another hat full of directors and that is the extent of deciding what films get greenlit.

I would've loved a $175M King Arthur film.

Hell, I would love a $250M King Arthur film. Just so long as it had a competent director who respects the legends and a decent screenwriter.

Like I said, its been almost 40 years since we've had either or those.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-15-2017, 12:39 AM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

Under/over $35M?

I think 40 is the floor.

I don't know if it'll do Prometheus numbers, though. That marketing campaign was fucking amazing.

This one, not so much.
jett
D-Member
(05-15-2017, 12:39 AM)
I think Covenant will land at 35 on the dot. Will miss 100.

Originally Posted by Sulik2

Just make the Matrix Resurrection, its not like Keanu can't still do action movies and the Waschowski's getting a full budget again would probably leap at it.

I actually don't think the Wachs are interested in going back to that well.

Colin Trevorrow will be looking for work after 2019.

What about visionary director Zack Snyder while we're at it
J_Viper
(05-15-2017, 12:45 AM)

Originally Posted by jett

What about visionary director Zack Snyder while we're at it

If JL does alright and gets a sequel, Zack will return. I can feel it.
kswiston
(05-15-2017, 12:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

I think 40 is the floor.

I don't know if it'll do Prometheus numbers, though. That marketing campaign was fucking amazing.

This one, not so much.

One of the two people on the Box office Theory boards that has confirmed access to numbers from a major (US) theatre chain thinks that Alien Covenant will hit $50M. They also think $100M+ for Wonder Woman.

We shall see.
Mrbob
how can the baaasheep
enjoy the shootbang?
(05-15-2017, 12:48 AM)

Maybe WB will ask Nolan if Dunkirk doesn't do too well.

I blame DM for Dunkirk. No one asked for this.
DMczaf
(05-15-2017, 12:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Mrbob

I blame DM for Dunkirk. No one asked for this.

Nolan doesn't give you what you want

He gives you what you need.
Biggest-Geek-Ever
(05-15-2017, 12:53 AM)

I think that Nolan has earned 2-3 misses before director jail. His last 4 films have grossed over $3.5B

With the way WB is desperately trying to create another mega franchise, I imagine they're frothing at the mouth over a hypothetical Inception 2.

Under/over $35M?

I haven't put a lot of thought into it yet (stay tuned for that later this week!), but the overseas grosses are making me lean right around the $35M mark. That'd be about a 30% drop from Prometheus's OW, which seems about right at the moment; Australia's opening is down 40% in local currency.

I'm expecting a pretty frontloaded performance even during the opening weekend. Getting a very strong preview number like $5M but then only a $15M OD wouldn't surprise me.
DMczaf
(05-15-2017, 12:54 AM)
If Dunkirk is successful, my dumb Christopher Nolan Cinematic Universe jokes might become reality.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-15-2017, 12:58 AM)

One of the two people on the Box office Theory boards that has confirmed access to numbers from a major (US) theatre chain thinks that Alien Covenant will hit $50M. They also think $100M+ for Wonder Woman.

We shall see.

I thought Fox would step on the gas and start throwing shots of the neomorph/xenomorph in the TV spots, but I dont' know if that's actually happening.

If they'd leaned on the ALIEN part of this, selling it like the return of the creature to the main series for the first time in 20 years, that might have pushed the needle a little more.

I dunno. I think it gets 40 mil, def. I wouldn't be surprised if it touches 50.
border
wears the band's shirts to the band's concerts
can't comprehend the origin of terms
(05-15-2017, 01:04 AM)

I dunno. I think it gets 40 mil, def. I wouldn't be surprised if it touches 50.

That seems kind of optimistic to me, considering that the film seems to be debuting at best 20% lower than Prometheus in nearly all the Western countries. Maybe the xenomorph is iconic enough in the US to really help the movie out, though there's a danger that audiences will just read it as a horror movie in outer space. And horror movies generally don't open to those kinds of numbers.
Last edited by border; 05-15-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Biggest-Geek-Ever
(05-15-2017, 01:04 AM)
It is kind of odd that Fox is releasing two films this week (Alien and Wimpy Kid), and then a third in Captain Underpants just 2 weeks later. Their only other film this summer is Planet of the Apes in July.

Originally Posted by DMczaf

If Dunkirk is successful, my dumb Christopher Nolan Cinematic Universe jokes might become reality.

There's nothing dumb about them, brother.

I predict we'll find out Dunkirk was all a dream created by Dom so he could steal more secrets from poor Cillian Murphy.
Decado
(05-15-2017, 01:05 AM)
Boxofficemojo has a breakdown for Alien and it is looking pretty dire. Well below Prometheus is nearly all the major markets it opened in.
Jopie
(05-15-2017, 01:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Xyrmellon

I still haven't seen a lick of marketing for Boss Baby yet it's grossed 160 million.

They marketed like crazy on YouTube. My daughter is four, she had been looking forward to the movie since before Christmas due to the abundance of ads and trailers on YouTube.
Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
(05-15-2017, 01:07 AM)
I wonder how Captain Underpants does. Haven't seen that much marketing for it despite it coming out like next month.

Originally Posted by Decado

Boxofficemojo has a breakdown for Alien and it is looking pretty dire. Well below Prometheus is nearly all the major markets it opened in.

Yikes, looks like this franchise is getting put on ice for a while.
Schlorgan
(05-15-2017, 01:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Bronx-Man

A lot of that going around recently.
border
wears the band's shirts to the band's concerts
can't comprehend the origin of terms
(05-15-2017, 01:11 AM)
It's weird to think that the film that was marketed as "kinda, sorta, maybe tangentially related to the Alien movies" is going to end up performing much better than a legitimate Alien movie.
BumRush
(05-15-2017, 01:13 AM)
I REALLY hope alien does well
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-15-2017, 01:14 AM)

Originally Posted by border

It's weird to think that the film that was marketed as "kinda, sorta, maybe tangentially related to the Alien movies" is going to end up performing much better than a legitimate Alien movie.

It was marketed as an Alien movie though.

The execs/creators were doing press trying to make the (false) distinction. But the marketing team was right up front with what they were selling. That was an Alien movie, with an Alien campaign.

Originally Posted by border

That seems kind of optimistic to me, considering that the film seems to be debuting at best 20% lower than Prometheus in nearly all the Western countries.

It might be, I dunno. And normally, Alien does pretty decently overseas. (and I think Prometheus had a better reception internationally than it did domestically, both financially and critically? Might be wrong about that). But I feel like the Alien being back, and its status as a cultural icon might carry more weight at the box-office than a big-budget horror might otherwise carry.
Last edited by Bobby Roberts; 05-15-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Biggest-Geek-Ever
(05-15-2017, 01:18 AM)
Prometheus also had an absolutely incredible trailer, to boot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcHYisZFLU

It's so good it makes me want to watch the movie again, even though I just did and find it terrible. Alien: Covenant's trailers haven't been close for me.
DeathyBoy
(05-15-2017, 01:19 AM)

It was marketed as an Alien movie though.

The execs/creators were doing press trying to make the (false) distinction. But the marketing team was right up front with what they were selling. That was an Alien movie, with an Alien campaign.

It might be, I dunno. And normally, Alien does pretty decently overseas. (and I think Prometheus had a better reception internationally than it did domestically, both financially and critically? Might be wrong about that). But I feel like the Alien being back, and its status as a cultural icon might carry more weight at the box-office than a big-budget horror might otherwise carry.

Speaking of marketing, I hope WB market Suicide Squad 2 as a dour superhero film but actually make a goofy superhero film. Gaf meltdown re: Suicide Squad was glorious
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(05-15-2017, 01:20 AM)
Promethus was a huge misstep for the franchise. "Remember all that fun speculation and theory about the xenomorphs that became quasi canon? Fuck that and lets make it worst"
jett
D-Member
(05-15-2017, 01:23 AM)

I wonder how Captain Underpants does. Haven't seen that much marketing for it despite it coming out like next month.

Poor word of mouth for Prometheus will do that to a sequel. They aren't fooling people with the name change. Checking BOM a bit, I had forgotten Prometheus had actually opened to 50M, but just grossed 126M total domestically.
Mrbob
how can the baaasheep
enjoy the shootbang?
(05-15-2017, 01:29 AM)
Is Prometheus the reason why Alien Covenant is tracking worse? I figured an actual Alien movie would do better.
TheXbox
(05-15-2017, 01:29 AM)
None of my friends had seen an Alien movie before we saw Prometheus and we were all hyped for it. The visuals, the director, and the R-rating were all tantalizing - the Alien connection was not. I don't know if that speaks to how effective the marketing was for Prometheus, or if the movie actually enjoyed a wider reach because it didn't wear the Alien connection on its sleeve.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-15-2017, 01:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Mrbob

Is Prometheus the reason why Alien Covenant is tracking worse? I figured an actual Alien movie would do better.

Probably. It had shit legs when it was released, and I'm pretty sure that blu-ray went on deep discount pretty quickly after release. It reviewed well, but word of mouth wasn't great, and as time has gone on, the narrative on it set pretty solidly: It's pretty as hell but dumb as rocks and nobody in it is all that likable/interesting.

Five years could have caused that narrative to pack less punch, maybe, especially with the decision to use the ALIEN brand again.

But I've been seeing (and this is anecdotal, obviously) a lot of people on twitter decide they were going to prep for next weekend by getting a Prometheus rewatch in.

A lot of those rewatches are not going well. I watched Matt Zoller Seitz at Vulture basically descend into a drunken babble over the course of 3 hours as he tried to hang with the film.

But then again - it's a lot of rewatches. So that makes it seem like the interest is there. But Fox doesn't seem to be selling this thing as hard, or as well, as they did Prometheus.
shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(05-15-2017, 01:37 AM)

But then again - it's a lot of rewatches. So that makes it seem like the interest is there. But Fox doesn't seem to be selling this thing as hard, or as well, as they did Prometheus.

It doesn't make sense why Fox moved it up to May from it's August release, which doesn't have a strong flick this year. Where it would also have a chance to develop some sort of leg, even if it's not particularly a good film. Rather than being done in 2 weeks.
Kusagari
(05-15-2017, 01:37 AM)
I wonder what will happen if Covenant does Prometheus numbers in America but tanks worldwide.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-15-2017, 01:40 AM)
Ridley gets a lower budget.
Slayven
(05-15-2017, 01:40 AM)
Remember when R rated movies use to get a toyline for kids?

Biggest-Geek-Ever
(05-15-2017, 01:46 AM)

Ridley gets a lower budget.

That might be exactly what Ridley Scott needs to make an effective Alien thriller film.

Or he'll just double down on Prometheus, but it will be a lot less pretty.

Originally Posted by Slayven

Gorilla alien

Is that a 'cism?
Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
(05-15-2017, 01:46 AM)

Shit, there was a Rambo saturday morning cartoon.
DMczaf
(05-15-2017, 01:47 AM)

It is kind of odd that Fox is releasing two films this week (Alien and Wimpy Kid), and then a third in Captain Underpants just 2 weeks later. Their only other film this summer is Planet of the Apes in July.

There's nothing dumb about them, brother.

I predict we'll find out Dunkirk was all a dream created by Dom so he could steal more secrets from poor Cillian Murphy.

Slayven
(05-15-2017, 01:53 AM)

That might be exactly what Ridley Scott needs to make an effective Alien thriller film.

Or he'll just double down on Prometheus, but it will be a lot less pretty.

Gorilla alien

Is that a 'cism?

Know how Xenomorphs are suppose to take the DNA of what ever they come from? The toys took them to the logical and awesome conculsion

Shit, there was a Rambo saturday morning cartoon.

and 2 robocop cartoons
Biggest-Geek-Ever
(05-15-2017, 01:56 AM)

Know how Xenomorphs are suppose to take the DNA of what ever they come from? The toys took them to the logical and awesome conculsion

I wish I grew up in the '80s.
jett
D-Member
(05-15-2017, 01:58 AM)

Originally Posted by DMczaf

Slayven
(05-15-2017, 01:59 AM)
Can you imagine an Alien movie where Vin Diesel rides and ropes a Bull Alien?
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-15-2017, 02:00 AM)

I wish I grew up in the '80s.

It was fucking horseshit most of the time.
kswiston
(05-15-2017, 02:03 AM)

It was fucking horseshit most of the time.

You didnt like your Saturday morning toy advertisements?
Buckle
(05-15-2017, 02:04 AM)
Xenomorph variants are fucking awesome.

Shame they never take advantage of that much in the films. Its something that always fascinated me about them as a kid.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-15-2017, 02:05 AM)

You didnt like your Saturday morning toy advertisements?

Oh, the cartoons were fine.

It was the rest of the decade that ate shit
kswiston
(05-15-2017, 02:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Buckle

Xenomorph variants are fucking awesome.

Shame they never take advantage of that much in the films. Its something that always fascinated me as a kid.

I know that they had a pretty extensive line of Aliens novels and comics. I wonder if they got into that stuff there. No doubt Slayven has read some of those books.
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-15-2017, 02:08 AM)

I know that they had a pretty extensive line of Aliens novels and comics. I wonder if they got into that stuff there. No doubt Slayven has read some of those books.

They did.

It's funny that variants are accepted (and even cheered) in the fanbase due to those shitty toys and the Dark Horse Comics

But variations on the creature in the films tend to be evidence of "mistakes" and "lack of attention."
Buckle
(05-15-2017, 02:08 AM)

I know that they had a pretty extensive line of Aliens novels and comics. I eonder if they got into that stuff there. No doubt Slayven has read some of those books.

One of my greatest regrets was never getting in on any of the crazy AVP dark horse comics. They seemed pretty interesting at the time.

It was the 90s though where violence reigned over substance at times in the industry.
DMczaf
(05-15-2017, 02:09 AM)