• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

jett
D-Member
(05-15-2017, 02:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

It was fucking horseshit most of the time.

That's the 1880's.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(05-15-2017, 02:11 AM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

I know that they had a pretty extensive line of Aliens novels and comics. I wonder if they got into that stuff there. No doubt Slayven has read some of those books.

Only one of the novels i read was about a little black girl from earth that was raised by predators, she was badass.

Superman vs Aliens comic was dope just by the way they made him vulnerable to them without it being hamfisted.
kswiston
(05-15-2017, 02:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Buckle

One of my greatest regrets was never getting in on any of the crazy AVP dark horse comics. They seemed pretty interesting at the time.

It was the 90s though where violence reigned over substance at times in the industry.

I read one of the novels in the mid 90s, which I thought was pretty cool at the time. However, I must have been in middle school, so edginess and violence had maximum appeal.
J_Viper
(05-15-2017, 02:14 AM)

Originally Posted by DMczaf

>tom hardy
>big guy
>wears a mask
>hijacking a plane
>presumably crashing it

Baneposting again bleeds through the fabric of reality
Slayven
(05-15-2017, 02:14 AM)

I read one of the novels in the mid 90s, which I thought was pretty cool at the time. However, I must have been in middle school, so edginess and violence had maximum appeal.

If you accept EU novels as the literary equivalent of a tube of pringles, they can be pretty fun. Especially if the writers are versed in the universe and are a fan.
kswiston
(05-15-2017, 02:17 AM)

It's crazy how terrible a lot of our toys were.

When the McFarlane figure lines first came out, people were slobbering over the detail vs what was standard. Now I feel like that's basically standard stuff (minus having a ton of accessories on cheaper figures).

My daughter's toys on average look a lot better than what I had growing up.
jett
D-Member
(05-15-2017, 02:18 AM)

You know, fun for the whole family!

Slayven
(05-15-2017, 02:19 AM)

It's crazy how terrible a lot of our toys were.

When the McFarlane figure lines first came out, people were slobbering over the detail vs what was standard. Now I feel like that's basically standard stuff (minus having a ton of accessories on cheaper figures).

My daughter's toys on average look a lot better than what I had growing up.

For all that detail you can't really play with them. Remember how articulated GI Joes were?

But yeah toys today are a much higher quality than yesteryear. I remember getting Transformers and the pieces falling off as you were taking them out the package
jett
D-Member
(05-15-2017, 02:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Slayven

For all that detail you can't really play with them. Remember how articulated GI Joes were?

But yeah toys today are a much higher quality than yesteryear. I remember getting Transformers and the pieces falling off as you were taking them out the package

Are you sure those weren't gobots you were playing with
Vectorman
(05-15-2017, 02:22 AM)
Honestly feel like the Dark Horse Comics writers had a better idea about what to do with the Alien franchise. I still love that plot where all humanity is aware about the Xenomorphs, some of them formed a cult and smuggled them to Earth, and caused Earth to be destroyed. Hicks, Newt, and Ripley were all still alive too. Ah well. At least the first two movies will be there for me.
Slayven
(05-15-2017, 02:24 AM)

Originally Posted by jett

Are you sure those weren't gobots you were playing with

I had the Gobots combiner, but no actual gobots. My friend had Predaking, i was so jealous

Originally Posted by Vectorman

Honestly feel like the Dark Horse Comics writers had a better idea about what to do with the Alien franchise. I still love that plot where all humanity is aware about the Xenomorphs, some of them formed a cult and smuggled them to Earth, and caused Earth to be destroyed. Hicks, Newt, and Ripley were all still alive too. Ah well. At least the first two movies will be there for me.

Yeah, Darkhouse was good to the franchise, should have let them write a movie
Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
(05-15-2017, 02:24 AM)
why doesn't fox just give the rights to alien back to marvel
kswiston
(05-15-2017, 02:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Bronx-Man

why doesn't fox just give the rights to alien back to marvel

Ridley can be content that whatever he pushes out can't be a low-point in a franchise that saw a dumped-to-die, no effort downgrade sequel to a shitty Paul WS Anderson flick.
Imperial Bishop
Oh my God!
(05-15-2017, 02:33 AM)
I'll be mildly shocked if Guardians 2 does a three-peat and stays at #1 next weekend.
Vectorman
(05-15-2017, 02:35 AM)

Ridley can be content that whatever he pushes out can't be a low-point in a franchise that saw a dumped-to-die, no effort downgrade sequel to a shitty Paul WS Anderson flick.

Yepppppp
https://youtu.be/Lh8W2UOIo6Y
Schlorgan
(05-15-2017, 02:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Imperial Bishop

I'll be mildly shocked if Guardians 2 does a three-peat and stays at #1 next weekend.

What else, besides Alien, is coming out that could compete?
kswiston
(05-15-2017, 02:48 AM)

Yepppppp
https://youtu.be/Lh8W2UOIo6Y

Which one of these key AvP Requiem scenes was your favourite?

duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(05-15-2017, 02:49 AM)
Why are these thread titles getting worse and worse? Why would you use "Aliens" in the title this week with an actual Alien movie releasing now? I can't stop thread title whining. Help.
AntraxSuicide
(05-15-2017, 02:50 AM)

It was fucking horseshit most of the time.

Oh, the cartoons were fine.

It was the rest of the decade that ate shit

Well which was it, shit or it ate shit?
Biggest-Geek-Ever
(05-15-2017, 02:51 AM)
The thread title does fucking suck. #DownWithxaosslug #Kswiss4Life
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(05-15-2017, 02:52 AM)

Originally Posted by AntraxSuicide

Well which was it, shit or it ate shit?

Both at the same time

It was the 80s, man.
AntraxSuicide
(05-15-2017, 02:56 AM)

Which one of these key AvP Requiem scenes was your favourite?

Hey I liked the first AvP. It has the badass lead that gets the spear at the end.
Vectorman
(05-15-2017, 03:02 AM)

Originally Posted by AntraxSuicide

Hey I liked the first AvP. It has the badass lead that gets the spear at the end.

True fact: that plot element was ripped off from the actual decent story this book provided.
PhoncipleBone
(05-15-2017, 03:04 AM)

True fact: that plot element was ripped off from the actual decent story this book provided.

Whoa! The lead singer of Journey wrote an AvP novel?

But no more Journey psych outs.
DMczaf
(05-15-2017, 03:23 AM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

Why are these thread titles getting worse and worse? Why would you use "Aliens" in the title this week with an actual Alien movie releasing now? I can't stop thread title whining. Help.

xaosslug can no longer go :(

Father Time is undefeated.
Biggest-Geek-Ever
(05-15-2017, 03:31 AM)

xaosslug can no longer go :(

Father Time is undefeated.

When are you going to wrestle away control of the wrassleGAF OTs from the overrated young buck Bluekaveli?

You can still go, dammit!
Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
(05-15-2017, 03:34 AM)
Not standing by for the slander of my fave

#LetsGoXaoss
DMczaf
(05-15-2017, 03:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Biggest-Geek-Ever

When are you going to wrestle away control of the wrassleGAF OTs from the overrated young buck Bluekaveli?

You can still go, dammit!

I don't need to do anything. Blue is already burning out.

I'm still here, 13 years strong.
Prompto
(05-15-2017, 03:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Bronx-Man

Not standing by for the slander of my fave

#LetsGoXaoss

You still got it!
*Clap Clap ClapClapClap*
You still got it!
Freeza Under The Shower
(05-15-2017, 03:54 AM)
I don't know what the opening weekend for Prometheus was, but you can safely put its sequel at 50 to 75% of that. It should consider itself lucky to make the same 400 ww that Prometheus made. Probably 250-300 by the end of it.

and after checking BOM, it was 51m OW, so 35 sounds about right.

I'm... kinda done with that crap. But then I was born in the 80s, know it to be shit (have fun not living with all that non-existent safety culture! Here, have a helicopter! ), and learned by looking forward to Alien 4. AvP is basically the better 'sequel' of the bunch. Y'all are bitches for not seeing that.
x Power Pad Death Stomp x
(05-15-2017, 03:59 AM)
All these years later and I'm still waiting for the Aliens vs Colonial Marines Earth War we were promised. https://youtu.be/FrlOPl4-HL4
Schlorgan
(05-15-2017, 04:04 AM)

Originally Posted by x Power Pad Death Stomp x

All these years later and I'm still waiting for the Aliens vs Colonial Marines Earth War we were promised. https://youtu.be/FrlOPl4-HL4

That'll be the Trevorrow film.
PhoncipleBone
(05-15-2017, 04:05 AM)

Originally Posted by x Power Pad Death Stomp x

Originally Posted by Schlorgan

That'll be the Trevorrow film.

Fox and Universal to make a joint production. Aliens vs Predator vs Jurassic Park. A crack squad of highly trained military velociraptors sent in to take out the xenomorphs, but they didn't plan on Predators.
shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(05-15-2017, 04:05 AM)

I lived and died by the AVP novels as a kid. Even though they took a few pieces from Prey for the first flick, would have been a better foundation to set it in the Alien universe(Future) than present.

Closest they got to a Ripley esque character, was by letting SD Perry write Machiko.
Last edited by shintoki; 05-15-2017 at 04:10 AM.
Slayven
(05-15-2017, 04:10 AM)

Originally Posted by PhoncipleBone

Fox and Universal to make a joint production. Aliens vs Predator vs Jurassic Park. A crack squad of highly trained military velociraptors sent in to take out the xenomorphs, but they didn't plan on Predators.

Beren the Empty-Handed
(05-15-2017, 04:10 AM)
Why does everyone hate that film? When I saw Alien Vs. Predator as a teenager it was AWESOME!!!

...shit.
Ceres
(05-15-2017, 04:12 AM)

Originally Posted by ElBoxyBrown

I think the answer is, nobody is interested in these tired ass stories. Unless Robin Hood is gonna do something drastically different and a director has confidence why should we be excited? You want Robin Hood go watch the 70s Disney animated movie. That's the only Robin Hood you need.

Excuse you. Men in Tights is amazing.
PhoncipleBone
(05-15-2017, 04:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Beren the Empty-Handed

Why does everyone hate that film? When I saw Alien Vs. Predator as a teenager it was AWESOME!!!

...shit.

You answered your own question.

Originally Posted by Ceres

Excuse you. Men in Tights is amazing.

There are a handful of great moments in Men in Tights, but overall it is a subpar film, and nowhere near the highs that Mel Brooks achieved in the 60s and 70s.

And best Robin Hood film is the Errol Flynn one.
shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(05-15-2017, 04:14 AM)

Library as a kid had a bunch, I managed to get my hands on the Comic book versions of a lot.

I recall the Predator vs Batman ones being pretty great when I was 10.
J_Viper
(05-15-2017, 04:17 AM)

...shit.

I was 11, and yeah, at the time, the fucking Predator performing wresting moves on a Xeno was the tightest shit ever
Biggest-Geek-Ever
(05-15-2017, 04:19 AM)
I still appreciate Lance Henriksen in AvP, but really no matter how bad the film he's in is, that dude fucking brings it.
Beren the Empty-Handed
(05-15-2017, 04:21 AM)

That's the joke.

Guess I didn't make it clear enough.
PhoncipleBone
(05-15-2017, 04:22 AM)

That's the joke.

Guess I didn't make it clear enough.

I know. It was rather clear with the last part.
Beren the Empty-Handed
(05-15-2017, 04:26 AM)

I know. It was rather clear with the last part.

So you explained my joke to me? Or realized after the fact?

Anyways, we've run it into the ground now.

:/
PhoncipleBone
(05-15-2017, 04:30 AM)

So you explained my joke to me? Or realized after the fact?

Anyways, we've run it into the ground now.

:/

More realized after I hit post. Forgive me. It's been a long weekend.
jett
D-Member
(05-15-2017, 04:34 AM)

There are a handful of great moments in Men in Tights, but overall it is a subpar film, and nowhere near the highs that Mel Brooks achieved in the 60s and 70s.

Vyer
(05-15-2017, 04:35 AM)
Well now I need to rewatch Robin Hood again sometime soon
Beren the Empty-Handed
(05-15-2017, 04:36 AM)

More realized after I hit post. Forgive me. It's been a long weekend.

I like your avatar, so I forgive you.

Consequently, I preemptively forgive BronsonLee for everything.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(05-15-2017, 04:41 AM)
For the record, I love xaosslug thread titles. In part because there's no predicting them. You might try, but I don't think anyone has ever called one in advance. He marches to the beat of his own word salad at times, but it's wonderful.
Freeza Under The Shower
(05-15-2017, 04:42 AM)

It's best viewed right after the Kevin Costner one to see what exactly it's parodying.

also, I saw AvP as an adult and am still really quite fine with it. I don't know why people expect the guy who literally came of Resident Evil to suddenly make Citizen Predator or something.

I mean, this guy: you know which video this is, something about borderline experimental