• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Acidote
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:10 AM)
Acidote's Avatar
Give Life Back To Music
Instant Crush
Giorgio by Moroder
Lose Yourself to Dance
Get lucky

We need both a tour and a remixed album.
vikki
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:13 AM)
vikki's Avatar
Finally listened to this last summer, great album. Sad that I waited so long to listen.

I'd list my favorite track, but it really depends on mood.
disappeared
Junior Member
(05-18-2017, 10:15 AM)
disappeared's Avatar
Love the album. Bought two copies day one, the second was a gift for a girl that I carried a friendship with for a few years before I fucked things up. So this album is bittersweet these days.

Doin' it right is still a masterpiece.
Wiped89
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:19 AM)
It's such a classy album full of beautiful music.

A friend of mine dared to say the album was 'full of filler' and I couldn't agree. The depth to the album is incredible.

I even like Contact and Motherboard.
Enter The 36 Chambers
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:20 AM)
Enter The 36 Chambers's Avatar
I'm always surprised at the praise this album gets. Gives me no hope for a future album.

Even if they do record again it's gonna be like this one.

To me their discography stops at Alive 2007.
Magni
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:27 AM)
Magni's Avatar
That summer, I moved to Chile to go study there with a friend. We spent about a week up north in the Atacama Desert before our classes started, and while there went out for a party outside the village we were staying at, somewhere out in the desert. On our way there, we met two Chilean girls, and during our walk to the party ended up talking about Daft Punk, who they had never heard of (blew both our minds, we're French). We were talking about Get Lucky right as we got to the party, and right as we get in they started playing the song - we all went crazy. Ended up being a wild night.

That's my best RAM memory.
The Boat
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:38 AM)
The Boat's Avatar
Four? What? No, I refuse to believe it!
jet1911
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:39 AM)
jet1911's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wiped89

It's such a classy album full of beautiful music.

A friend of mine dared to say the album was 'full of filler' and I couldn't agree. The depth to the album is incredible.

I even like Contact and Motherboard.

Contact is fantastic
tearsofash
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:44 AM)
tearsofash's Avatar
Definitely one of my top 4 favourite Daft Punk albums.
MarkMclovin
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:45 AM)
MarkMclovin's Avatar
Album wasn't amazing and got caught up in the hype way too hard.

Enjoy it in the car now and then.
munchie64
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:45 AM)
munchie64's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

I'm always surprised at the praise this album gets. Gives me no hope for a future album.

Even if they do record again it's gonna be like this one.

To me their discography stops at Alive 2007.

I mean... it's not like every other album wasn't praised to hell and back and they kept changing things up.

Weird attitude overall tbh
Big_Al
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:47 AM)
Big_Al's Avatar
The fuck, this is 4 years old already ? What ?

As for the album I don't really like it very much and found it to be very disappointing, I barely listen to it at all these days whilst Homework and Human After All (both the original album and the live set) are still my favourite ones. I love their Tron soundtrack too. But I certainly wouldn't go 'how daaaaaare someone like it', just isn't for me/didn't appeal to me.
Reknoc
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:49 AM)
Reknoc's Avatar
Great album. Doin' it right, Instant Crush, and Giorgio by Moroder are incredible. Though if I never have to hear Get Lucky again it'd be too soon.
Monochromaticx
Member
(05-18-2017, 10:55 AM)
Monochromaticx's Avatar
Touch is the best song on the album.
Enter The 36 Chambers
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:16 AM)
Enter The 36 Chambers's Avatar

Originally Posted by munchie64

I mean... it's not like every other album wasn't praised to hell and back and they kept changing things up.

Weird attitude overall tbh

Uh what. Human after all was slated to hell and back when it dropped.

People only came around to it when they remixed it for Alive.

There's every chance Alive 2017 could sell me on Ram but I'm very doubtful even that could save it for me.

I was really looking forward to it and it was a massive let down. It's all filler.
Patrick Bateman
(05-18-2017, 11:18 AM)
Patrick Bateman's Avatar
I didn't like it that much back then and haven't listened to it after like the first 2-3 months after release.
It's just that bland.
Travo
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:20 AM)
Travo's Avatar
I downloaded this album a couple weeks back after watching the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I'm really enjoying it.
munchie64
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:21 AM)
munchie64's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

Uh what. Human after all was slated to hell and back when it dropped.

People only came around to it when they remixed it for Alive.

There's every chance Alive 2017 could sell me on Ram but I'm very doubtful even that could save it for me.

I was really looking forward to it and it was a massive let down. It's all filler.

I see. But the main point is still about changing and evolving.
OmnipotentO
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:21 AM)
OmnipotentO's Avatar
Man this came out when i was working at naughty dog QA and that's what I associate it with.
Enter The 36 Chambers
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:25 AM)
Enter The 36 Chambers's Avatar

Originally Posted by munchie64

I see. But the main point is still about changing and evolving.

I agree. I like when artists evolve and try new things.

I guess this is just one of those times, when the evolution just isn't for me. I wasn't trying to say people shouldn't like it.

Just me personally as a massive daft punk fan, Ram just missed the mark.
R0ckman
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:33 AM)
R0ckman's Avatar
Got the CD right before my wedding and we listened to it while on vacation for our honey moon. So I associate it with good memories.

Makes me sad though in a way, it was a time when my wife a lot more pleasant. Having two kids seems to have completely "broken" her. She is always irritable now. Random Access Memories takes me to a better place and time. Think I will pop it in on my way to work today :)
mcrommert
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:35 AM)
mcrommert's Avatar
Seriously four? Oh so this is what getting old feels like
munchie64
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:35 AM)
munchie64's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

I agree. I like when artists evolve and try new things.

I guess this is just one of those times, when the evolution just isn't for me. I wasn't trying to say people shouldn't like it.

Just me personally as a massive daft punk fan, Ram just missed the mark.

Fair enough. Even though I loved the album, I hope they change dramatically next time too.
Anung
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:37 AM)
Anung's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

I'm always surprised at the praise this album gets. Gives me no hope for a future album.

Even if they do record again it's gonna be like this one.

To me their discography stops at Alive 2007.

I feel the same way. I don't care for this album at all. Fragments of Time and Contact were the only songs on this album I liked and the rest didn't jump out at me at all.
NotLiquid
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:48 AM)
NotLiquid's Avatar
You cannot tell me the moment Give Life Back To Music started playing for the first time, you didn't just crack the biggest smile ever. What a fucking way to start an album. After so many years of dormancy, such a bombastic, glitzy way to break back in.

And then every track after that just kept surprising me, impressing me, making me feel so many emotions - Touch is one of the most beautiful tracks ever recorded. This album has the same effect Gorillaz's Demon Days had on me; the music and presentation sucks me in so well that there's a quaint suspension of disbelief - it truly feels like virtual beings producing some of the most human music imaginable. And the album being such a wild ride having Contact as the closer; woof. What a mind bender and a half it is by then.

An instant classic from the moment it came out. I still relisten to it on the regular; whether I'm relaxing, working, studying or driving. Also I don't think Motherboard gets enough credit - it's the most "Discovery" type track on here in my opinion, a progressive and mellow synthpiece reminiscent of some of the low key moments from that album, but through the filter of some of that Tron-esque production they adopted in the interim when making the album.
War Peaceman
Member
(05-18-2017, 11:57 AM)
War Peaceman's Avatar
I love this album, it is wonderful and experimental. I still think it is tragic though that the best song from the album - Horizon - is a Japan only exclusive song.
Larkoz
Junior Member
(05-18-2017, 12:02 PM)
Larkoz's Avatar
I hope they're already working on the next one.

mere_immortal
Member
(05-18-2017, 12:04 PM)
mere_immortal's Avatar
Those Contact drums tho.
Yen
Member
(05-18-2017, 12:06 PM)
Yen's Avatar
Really enjoyed it at the time but would love to hear more 'electronic' stuff in the future
DocSeuss
Member
(05-18-2017, 12:09 PM)
DocSeuss's Avatar
This remains the only album to have ever given me emotional catharsis. Touch at 2 AM in the morning, driving through the Kansas countryside, and running across a cougar that night.

It was somethin.

The only thing I don't like are the vocals on Doin' it Right.
MrS
Member
(05-18-2017, 12:11 PM)
MrS's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sai-kun

Still an absolute trash heap of an album except for Instant Crush.

This guy knows what's up.

Do we really need an anniversary thread for Daft Punk's worst album?
Jindrax
Member
(05-18-2017, 12:20 PM)
Jindrax's Avatar

Originally Posted by KraftyKrankins

When I was fifteen, sixteen, when I really started to play the guitar
I definitely wanted to become a musician
It was almost impossible because the dream was so big
I didn't see any chance because I was living in a little town; I was studying
And when I finally broke away from school and became a musician
I thought, "Well, now I may have a little bit of a chance,"
Because all I really wanted to do is music – and not only play music
But compose music
At that time, in Germany, in '69-'70, they had already discotheques
So, I would take my car
Would go to a discotheque and sing maybe 30 minutes
I think I had about seven, eight songs
I would partially sleep in the car
Because I didn't want to drive home and that helped me for about
Almost two years to survive in the beginning
I wanted to do an album with the sound of the '50s, the sound of the '60s, of the '70s
And then have a sound of the future
And I said, "Wait a second...
I know the synthesizer – why don't I use the synthesizer which is the sound of the future?"
And I didn't have any idea what to do
But I knew I needed a click so we put a click on the 24 track which then was synched to the Moog Modular
I knew that it could be a sound of the future
But I didn't realise how much the impact would be
My name is Giovanni Giorgio
But everybody calls me Giorgio

*beat starts*

fucking hype
Kthulhu
Member
(05-18-2017, 12:30 PM)
Kthulhu's Avatar
Welp, I know what I'm listening to on my commute today.
tbm24
Member
(05-18-2017, 12:35 PM)
tbm24's Avatar
I need to listen to Lose Yourself To Dance at least once a week or something is missing in my life. Fantastic Album.
THEaaron
Member
(05-18-2017, 12:47 PM)
THEaaron's Avatar
That album is nuts. One of my favourites all time.
Skiptastic
Member
(05-18-2017, 12:52 PM)
Skiptastic's Avatar
Instant classic album. Loved it right away. Love it still.
outunderthestars
Attracted to bright lights
(05-18-2017, 01:01 PM)
outunderthestars's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

I'm always surprised at the praise this album gets. Gives me no hope for a future album.

Even if they do record again it's gonna be like this one.

To me their discography stops at Alive 2007.

I can understand this sentiment but never understood why people want artists to basically release the same album over and over again.
mjc
Member
(05-18-2017, 01:10 PM)
mjc's Avatar
Awesome album, hope that remix comes out at some point.
Gooster
Member
(05-18-2017, 01:12 PM)
Gooster's Avatar

Originally Posted by DizzyCaffeine

Love this album. Instant Crush and Doin' It Right are my favorites.

Same
MikeHaggar
Member
(05-18-2017, 01:15 PM)
MikeHaggar's Avatar
I love this album. I was here on GAF for all of the hype leading up to and during its release. Good times. The quality of production on display is just amazing.
Mitch
Member
(05-18-2017, 01:22 PM)
Mitch's Avatar
Damn, 4 years? Time flies.

I was was actually thinking about picking up some Daft Punk music for my runs earlier this morning.
hidys
Member
(05-18-2017, 01:24 PM)
hidys's Avatar
Such a great album. I would strongly argue Giorgio by Morodor is thier best song.
RockTurtle
Member
(05-18-2017, 01:25 PM)
RockTurtle's Avatar
I thought it was ho-hum first couple of listens...

but then it starts to grow on you...
collige
Member
(05-18-2017, 01:28 PM)
collige's Avatar
Still one of the most disappointing albums in recent memory. Them going from stuff like Revolution 909 to literal elevator muzak like Within is incredibly disappointing and the fact that a Todd Edwards/Daft Punk collab actually happened but then turned out to basically be just a pop song adds insult to injury. The album art sucks too and ruined an iconic streak.

The Darkside remix album, on the other hand, almost redeemed the entire thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nITxObEIjoA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeKrmVgPnj0
Full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFK_...EFe111WYlGR6A5
sixteen-bit
Member
(05-18-2017, 01:29 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar
happy anniversary
Camper Van Beethoven
Member
(05-18-2017, 01:34 PM)
Camper Van Beethoven's Avatar
Worst album by an incredibly overrated act.
Enter The 36 Chambers
Member
(05-18-2017, 02:04 PM)
Enter The 36 Chambers's Avatar

Originally Posted by outunderthestars

I can understand this sentiment but never understood why people want artists to basically release the same album over and over again.

I didn't want the same album. I wanted something good.

None of the songs are catchy or even sound like daft punk.

The far superior daft punk remix of Get lucky alludes to this. Same song, same vocals, same music, better arrangement.

Nothing on Ram really stands out. The whole thing sounds like interludes and filler.

And in terms or experimenting and evolving, Ram is probably Daft Punks least follow up album with any evolution or experimentation.
I expected something similar to their old stuff with a heavy focus of disco and funk.

Instead we got a boring record full of intros, outros and interludes.
Anung
Member
(05-18-2017, 02:05 PM)
Anung's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

I didn't want the same album. I wanted something good.

None of the songs are catchy or even sound like daft punk.

The far superior daft punk remix of Get lucky alludes to this. Same song, same vocals, same music, better arrangement.

Nothing on Ram really stands out. The whole thing sounds like interludes and filler.

And in terms or experimenting and evolving, Ram is probably Daft Punks least follow up album with any evolution or experimentation.
I expected something similar to their old stuff with a heavy focus of disco and funk.

Instead we got a boring record full of intros, outros and interludes.

Plus I'd hardly call what they did "evolving". They literally just ripped off the 70's. To me it sounded like a regression instead of an evolution.
Anoregon
Member
(05-18-2017, 02:08 PM)
Anoregon's Avatar

Originally Posted by KraftyKrankins

When I was fifteen, sixteen, when I really started to play the guitar
I definitely wanted to become a musician
It was almost impossible because the dream was so big
I didn't see any chance because I was living in a little town; I was studying
And when I finally broke away from school and became a musician
I thought, "Well, now I may have a little bit of a chance,"
Because all I really wanted to do is music – and not only play music
But compose music
At that time, in Germany, in '69-'70, they had already discotheques
So, I would take my car
Would go to a discotheque and sing maybe 30 minutes
I think I had about seven, eight songs
I would partially sleep in the car
Because I didn't want to drive home and that helped me for about
Almost two years to survive in the beginning
I wanted to do an album with the sound of the '50s, the sound of the '60s, of the '70s
And then have a sound of the future
And I said, "Wait a second...
I know the synthesizer – why don't I use the synthesizer which is the sound of the future?"
And I didn't have any idea what to do
But I knew I needed a click so we put a click on the 24 track which then was synched to the Moog Modular
I knew that it could be a sound of the future
But I didn't realise how much the impact would be
My name is Giovanni Giorgio
But everybody calls me Giorgio

*beat starts*


Yup. This and Contact are my shit.
Hitmeneer
Member
(05-18-2017, 02:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

I didn't want the same album. I wanted something good.

None of the songs are catchy or even sound like daft punk.

The far superior daft punk remix of Get lucky alludes to this. Same song, same vocals, same music, better arrangement.

Nothing on Ram really stands out. The whole thing sounds like interludes and filler.

And in terms or experimenting and evolving, Ram is probably Daft Punks least follow up album with any evolution or experimentation.
I expected something similar to their old stuff with a heavy focus of disco and funk.

Instead we got a boring record full of intros, outros and interludes.

I partly agree, I found the whole album boring and never reaching real greatness. I mean "Getting Lucky" was a big commercial hit, but as a Daft Punk song it was not what I was looking for.

I like their more rougher work, like Aerodynamic, Robot Rock or something like Technologic. Their Tron CD was also amazing.

Thread Tools