• Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

turmoil
(05-19-2017, 04:27 PM)
It looks like she wants to transform the UK in a 1984 theme park
KoopaTheCasual

Originally Posted by diaspora

This thread is about the UK government and PM. Incidentally, the same holds true of the left in Australia not necessarily being much (if any) more friendly to internet privacy and freedom than conservatives.

Well, if that was the intended post, then I apologize for jumping the gun, and thinking it was a thinly veiled both sides deflection.
Kin5290
This is thanks to that crazy one party rule. Uh, UK? You're looking awfully like China.
Dervius
Fuck off, May.
Kai Dracon
Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Somewhere, and ordinary chap is busy renovating a forgotten, bricked-up tube line.

Originally Posted by ssolitare

Brexit and Trump voters love being policed, goddamn.

They think that the government will only police the bad people they hate.

Those who support oppression always count themselves among the special class that will be spared.
Majine
You know what government also regulates the internet, May?

North Korea.
Trojan X
My gosh, I don't live in the UK anymore but... Fuck off, May!
Air Zombie Meat
(05-19-2017, 04:28 PM)
Such depressing times in this country.
AngryMoth
What the actual fuck. Fuck people who support this party
thelatestmodel
Junior, please.
Fuck right off.

You don't get to decide this.
LegendofDragoonLives
(05-19-2017, 04:29 PM)
Hystzen
How many times does she say word "stable" to defend this practice
jelly

Originally Posted by TestOfTide

Don't get wrong, I think that conservatives like May are the last people I want regulating the internet.

But I do think that the western world needs to have laws to crack down on fake news, trolls, bots, and other aspects of the internet that go unchecked due to a lack of regulations.

You mean stuff from their buddies at the D Mail etc.

There is existing laws fit for purpose, this is just about control and should be shot into the Sun.
axisofweevils
Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Labour is in favour of internet surveillance and regulation as are the tories. This is one area at least there is a decent level of overlap iirc.

Yep, Labour are pretty authoritarian in general, sadly. See: ID cards, permanently disconnecting you if you download three songs illegally, etc, etc. all crappy stuff they voted for in the past.
Trokil
(05-19-2017, 04:30 PM)

Originally Posted by The Jackdog

please, show me the left wanting to regulate free speech

So screaming at people and demanding not giving a platform to certain people, because you don't like their opinion is not regulating free speech?

If somebody says something illegal, there is the law for that. If you just don't want to listen to somebody else, don't got there, but demanding nobody should listen to them, is regulating free speech and sorry there is no mental gymnastics you can somehow apply to deny that.
Impeccable
(05-19-2017, 04:30 PM)
Things are looking pretty good.
Rktk
(05-19-2017, 04:31 PM)
May and her party can fuck right off.

Labour are so weak on this subject it's infuriating.
diaspora

Originally Posted by AngryMoth

What the actual fuck. Fuck people who support this party

Labour folded like wet paper on the Investigatory Powers Act if I'm remembering right so you're sorta screwed on this particular issue regardless.

edit: also this,

Originally Posted by axisofweevils

Yep, Labour are pretty authoritarian in general, sadly. See: ID cards, permanently disconnecting you if you download three songs illegally, etc, etc. all crappy stuff they voted for in the past.

Amputechture

Originally Posted by How About No

So we in the US want to strip regulations to fuck over consumers, while the UK wants to add regulations to fuck over consumers

fuck off

hivemind=/=common sentiment

That's exactly why I changed it lol. Still funny though
Muffin1611

Originally Posted by TestOfTide

Don't get wrong, I think that conservatives like May are the last people I want regulating the internet.

But I do think that the western world needs to have laws to crack down on fake news, trolls, bots, and other aspects of the internet that go unchecked due to a lack of regulations.

Germany for example is currently introducing a law that forces social media to delete criminal content between 24 hours and one week. That's the right way to go about it, in my opinion.

Not this shit May is trying.

Originally Posted by Mammoth Jones

Some of you guys wanted government to regulate speech. To keep people from saying disgusting and mean things. So accept everything that comes with it....

Because what May is proposing is the sole way of going about it, right?
Last edited by Muffin1611; 05-19-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Dee Dah Dave
Not mine you wont you Maggie Thatcher wanabee
Conan-san
(05-19-2017, 04:32 PM)
We clearly have a witch in our mists.
Fox318
HE HATE ME

World's #1 Los Angeles XTREME fan.
(05-19-2017, 04:32 PM)
Lakitu
st5fu
(05-19-2017, 04:33 PM)
This country will vote for this old cow, I just know it. Sigh...
Dynasty
(05-19-2017, 04:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Fox318

Dhx
So we're all down with little to no internet regulation.. Right? Free and open, good with the bad.

I know that's exactly where I stand, and I'd like to welcome some of you to the team.
Verelios

Originally Posted by George Oscar Bluth II

Fuck off, May.

Originally Posted by SpaceWolf

Fuck off, May.

Originally Posted by Broken Joystick

Fuck off, May.

Yep
tuxfool

Originally Posted by Mammoth Jones

Some of you guys wanted government to regulate speech. To keep people from saying disgusting and mean things. So accept everything that comes with it....

Lovely slip'n'slide you got there.
Chainsawkitten

Originally Posted by Trokil

So screaming at people and demanding not giving a platform to certain people, because you don't like their opinion is not regulating free speech?

Nope. Not even remotely.
KorrZ
UK and US constantly trying to one up each other lately.

I feel sorry for the people of both countries.
Theonik
(05-19-2017, 04:35 PM)
Piss off, May.
NightwingRebirth

Please, places with strong support of post modernist ideologies like for example neogaf are very much in favor of regulating free speech or content on the internet and are just as much in the boat of censorship as the right is.

They just use different arguments why they are for regulation, but in the end they want both pretty much the same thing. That is why this left and right bubbles / echo chambers were built up in the first place, to not be confronted with speech or ideas or content you don't like or approve.

What does Gaf have to do with the actual politicians in the UK?

What you're claiming and the evidence that you're providing are two different things.
travisbickle
It was a clear black night, a clear white moon
Theresa M was on the streets, trying to consume
Hollywood Duo
I'm struggling to think who could possibly want this other than corporations. Even the most staunch supporters of May can't really be a fan of stuff like this.
Possumowner
Oh fuck me what is this.Ffs people vote this dictator out,it's getting worryingly scary
Diablos
(05-19-2017, 04:36 PM)
VPN market is gonna grow by a fuckton
tuxfool
(05-19-2017, 04:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Hollywood Duo

I'm struggling to think who could possibly want this other than corporations. Even the most staunch supporters of May can't really be a fan of stuff like this.

Given that staunch supporters are old fucks, I'd say they don't care one way or another.
diaspora
(05-19-2017, 04:37 PM)

If somebody says something illegal, there is the law for that. If you just don't want to listen to somebody else, don't got there, but demanding nobody should listen to them, is regulating free speech and sorry there is no mental gymnastics you can somehow apply to deny that.

Asking for businesses like Twitter to enforce their own harassment policies isn't the same thing as what the Prime Minister is suggesting, no.
balladofwindfishes
(05-19-2017, 04:37 PM)

People protesting a speaker at a college and demanding them to not speak are not regulating free speech. There's no regulation being done because those people are not the government and they are not making laws. And nothing they are saying or doing is illegal.
HazySaiyan
(05-19-2017, 04:38 PM)
This is one of the most blatant attacks on free speech I've seen yet from this government, but it's not surprising coming from our Dear Leader May.

And if you think this will backfire for the Tories or that people will care you're kidding yourself. The British electorate have shown time and time that they simply don't give a shit, so long as there's less brown people and people aren't 'scrounging' benefits. Never mind this is spitting in the face of the British values you say you care so much about.
Verelios

LOL what? Are you serious now? People can say anything they want but other people don't have the responsibility of listening to their garbage, nor do they have to entertain them. If they really want to exercise free speech then let them go ahead and build their own platform. Stop trying to wedge hatred into civil liberty.
diaspora
ITT jabronis don't understand the difference between people expressing their own anger as a civilian at someone else's jackassery versus the government regulating the internet and stripping privacy and speech rights.
Foffy
(05-19-2017, 04:39 PM)
Eat shit, May.
Condom

Originally Posted by Hollywood Duo

Tories: We need somebody other than corporations to want it?
weekev
May you fuck off, fuck off May
BriGuy
(05-19-2017, 04:40 PM)
At least she has the balls to come out and say it. When they try to pass the same shit over here, it will be called "the true patriot American internet freedom and apple pie act" or be attached as a runner to a bill that targets human trafficking so no one can vote against it.
jimbobsmells
Fuck off, May.
Muffin1611

Asking for businesses like Twitter to enforce their own harassment policies isn't the same thing as what the Prime Minister is suggesting, no.

Exactly.
Murkas
(05-19-2017, 04:41 PM)
Why wouldn't you want them to regulate our internet use?

If you got nothing to hide then you got nothing to fear!

Get ready to hear that.
KarneeKarnay
(05-19-2017, 04:41 PM)
Fuck off May