• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Cuburt
(05-20-2017, 01:21 AM)
I liked Zombieland, I think Hardy is a good actor, I am not sure Sony won't screw this up in some way.

It's not even that Sony shouldn't do any non-MCU Spider-man stuff, it's that there is nothing to suggest that this isn't the same Avi Arad lead pile of bad ideas they've been sitting on since before the Marvel Studios deal. Also, if they leave out Spider-Man completely, what is the point of making a Spiderverse without the main character that anyone cares about at the center of it and if they include him, that means either they are casting an additional Spider-Man (risking an overload of conflicting Spider-Men) or they are potentially muddling their MCU ties.

What I hope (which I doubt is how they do it at this point) is that they allow Spider-Man in the MCU to organically set the stage for spin-offs in Sony's universe. Sony (working with Marvel and Jon Watts overseeing the whole thing) flesh out pockets of Spider-Man's world that may or may not crossover with MCU Spider-Man films or even the MCU proper. What it wouldn't do, though, is conflict with what Marvel Studios is doing.

In that sense, it would be able to allow Sony to do their own wacky thing while allowing them to create their own pocket of what is essentially the MCU. In this hypothetical arrangement, Jon Watts serves a role like Favreau/Whedon/Gunn in guiding the universe and helping with overall creative decisions/input but would be more like Gunn with the cosmic side of things. Sony's spin-offs would be more like the Marvel Television side of the MCU (connected but the crossover is mainly one-way). Although, it wouldn't be as fun unless it made it possible to have the side stuff spill over into Spider-Man films, I'd much prefer the MCU hold back spin-off films a bit from cutting loose, than Sony Spider-Man impeding the MCU.

I already feel a bit mixed about Spider-Man's inclusion in Civil War after more time to reflect on it (as cool and well-executed for what it was and how it came together it might be the best we could have hoped for at the time but it still feels a bit hamfisted) and Tony in Homecoming also feels a bit like some corporate compromises and deal-making rather than completely as organic as I'd like it to be (we still have to see how it's executed, but I'm skeptical), but I'm just hesitant on anything Spider-Man related from Sony, whether tied to Marvel or not. Anything not guided explicitly by Marvel feels like a lot of potential for things to go wrong, even if it was completely separated from the MCU, since just being in proximity to the MCU Spider-Man could taint the brand if it sucks. That's why I argue that it should still be tied and still be overseen by Marvel. The animated films seem like the perfect place for Sony to just do whatever they want Spider-Man related, because they can probably even do visuals and tell stories that the live-action films just would never be able to do, but I suppose making live action movies are more profitable and take less time to pump out.
paragonpro
(05-20-2017, 01:22 AM)
Please dont split the spiderverses like this
Flynn77
(05-20-2017, 01:26 AM)
That's a lovely, lovely choice.
Fast Forward
(05-20-2017, 01:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Undead Fantasy

So the movie is not in the MCU?

Why even bother?

Relieved it's not, TBH.

If this movie is a bust, it's stench can be kept within itself, and away from the MCU.
samar11
(05-20-2017, 02:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Fast Forward

Relieved it's not, TBH.

If this movie is a bust, it's stench can be kept within itself, and away from the MCU.

Yeh becuase MCU movies are such academy award masterpieces lol
TP-DK
(05-20-2017, 02:56 AM)
I was about to write something about it not being able to go wrong with Tom Hardy, but then I remembered that Nolan made two mediocre movies with him.
jack_package_200
(05-20-2017, 03:10 AM)

Originally Posted by samar11

In comparison to the DC Universe movies and The ASM movies, they are pretty solid.
lupinko
(05-20-2017, 03:13 AM)
They should have just made Spider-Gwen or Miguel O'Hara Spider-Man.
Qvoth
(05-20-2017, 03:16 AM)
i believe in tom hardy, so i'll definitely gonna check this out
LewieP
(05-20-2017, 04:04 AM)
Why are people saying Sony can do whatever they want with Spider-Man?

Has anyone actually seen the contract for the deal Sony made with Marvel? It could very easily have terms preventing/limiting Sony putting Spider-Man in their own movies for a given time period.
Monocle
Banned
(05-20-2017, 04:13 AM)

Originally Posted by strafer

You had me at Tom Hardy.

Yeah I would have dismissed this otherwise. Hope it's good.
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku!
(05-20-2017, 04:14 AM)

Originally Posted by LewieP

Why are people saying Sony can do whatever they want with Spider-Man?

Has anyone actually seen the contract for the deal Sony made with Marvel? It could very easily have terms preventing/limiting Sony putting Spider-Man in their own movies for a given time period.

Because they own Spider-Man. The default position should be to assume that they can do whatever they want with him until proven otherwise, not the opposite.

Marvel can't dictate what they do with their own character, and I highly doubt Sony would give up any of their power willingly.
LewieP
(05-20-2017, 04:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku!

Because they own Spider-Man. The default position should be to assume that they can do whatever they want with him until proven otherwise, not the opposite.

Marvel can't dictate what they do with their own character, and I highly doubt Sony would give up any of their power willingly.

There would obviously have been a negotiation process between them and Marvel.
Shang
(05-20-2017, 04:29 AM)
don't suck. don't suck. don't suck.
its Sony its gonna suck
Sesha
(05-20-2017, 04:32 AM)
Whatever. This and Sony's other non-Spider-Man Spider-Man movie attempts smacks of desperation to me.

As long as they stay away from Agent Venom and Anya Corazon, they can do whatever the fuck they want.

Also despite Hardy and Fleischer, this movie will suck. Sony Pictures' higher-ups don't understand nor respect the material. The fact they're trying to do all these movies without Spider-Man shows that. They've fucked up the last three Spidey-movies. They will meddle with production like with those movies.

They're commercially and critically acclaimed. Academy Awards don't matter. In general.
Last edited by Sesha; 05-20-2017 at 04:39 AM.
Spoiled Milk
(05-20-2017, 04:38 AM)
Just heard the news and I'm mega stoked. Love Tom Hardy so much.
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku!
(05-20-2017, 04:41 AM)

There would obviously have been a negotiation process between them and Marvel.

We know a lot about the terms of that negotiation and nothing has revealed that it limits the way Sony can use Spider-Man therefore there's no reason to assume it does.
Drewton
(05-20-2017, 04:43 AM)
Someone needs to make this Venom.

kurahador
Banned
(05-20-2017, 04:44 AM)
So when will we hear he dropped out when he realized it's Sony's solo project.
LewieP
(05-20-2017, 04:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku!

We know a lot about the terms of that negotiation and nothing has revealed that it limits the way Sony can use Spider-Man therefore there's no reason to assume it does.

Sony not doing another Spider-Man film is a pretty strong indication.
Xyrmellon
(05-20-2017, 04:52 AM)
Sorry if it's already been answered, but if Holland gets established as Spidey, the Marvel deal expires ( after 2 films I think?) then he gets shoehorned into this new Spider-verse?
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku!
(05-20-2017, 04:56 AM)

Sony is financing Spider-Man homecoming 100%, they are making 100% of the profits, and Tom Holland is being paid by Sony. I would consider that pretty definitive.
riotous
(05-20-2017, 04:59 AM)

Huh? They have Homecoming and Homecoming 2 already planned out; and Sony has said that they then can keep Spider-Man if they want: http://collider.com/spider-man-homec...ny/#amy-pascal
Figboy79
(05-20-2017, 05:03 AM)
On one hand, Tom Hardy as Venom is fucking a great idea, and I am super down with that.

On the other hand: Sony...stop. Just...STOP. We don't need a Spider-Verse. Especially a Spider-Verse controlled by you and probably Avi Arad somewhere in a corner making out with his Venom body pillow.
Sub Boss
(05-20-2017, 05:04 AM)
Carnage!
erlim
yes, that talented of a member
(05-20-2017, 05:12 AM)
I'm kind of sad that Venom isn't part of the Spider-Man world and thus the MCU, this is probably the best casting that you can get.
Zantetsuken
(05-20-2017, 05:14 AM)
Nah, let someone else have the spotlight.
The Kree
(05-20-2017, 05:17 AM)

Originally Posted by erlim

I'm kind of sad that Venom isn't part of the Spider-Man world and thus the MCU, this is probably the best casting that you can get.

I wonder if Tom Hardy knows that.
Sesha
(05-20-2017, 05:18 AM)
Sony Pictures presents, Venom the solo movie with no Spider-Man! Brought to you by: Avi Arad, the man who got booted out of Marvel Studios and still claims he created the MCU. Amy Pascal, the executive who writes e-mails like a dumb teen. And Tom Rothman, the man who said no to an Alien sequel by James Cameron and Ridley Scott in favor of Alien versus Predator directed by Paul WS Anderson.
Not
(05-20-2017, 05:19 AM)
Holy shit how many superhero franchises is that now for Hardy
Noks415
(05-20-2017, 05:30 AM)
I'm really sorry if this was asked already, but is there a script or writer attached? Couldn't find anything.
DVPredator85
(05-20-2017, 05:42 AM)
This movie was not even on my radar until I found out Tom Hardy is starring and Ruben Fleischer is directing.

SRG01
(05-20-2017, 05:51 AM)

Homecoming is a Sony movie. The arrangement with Marvel is quite literally a subcontractor role, with the side benefit of MCU integration. Sony is financing the movie as well as keeping the profits, while Marvel keeps the merchandising monies.

It was financially the most efficient way to reboot the property given the performance of the ASMs.

Originally Posted by Sesha

Sony Pictures presents, Venom the solo movie with no Spider-Man! Brought to you by: Avi Arad, the man who got booted out of Marvel Studios and still claims he created the MCU. Amy Pascal, the executive who writes e-mails like a dumb teen. And Tom Rothman, the man who said no to an Alien sequel by James Cameron and Ridley Scott in favor of Alien versus Predator directed by Paul WS Anderson.

Ehh, Tom Rothman is good at improving the bottom line, which Sony needs more given its financial situation.
hateradio
The Most Dangerous Yes Man
(05-20-2017, 05:56 AM)
As long as he doesn't have a goofy voice (why does he have a goofy voice in half his movies), I'm cool with it.
erlim
yes, that talented of a member
(05-20-2017, 06:10 AM)

Originally Posted by hateradio

As long as he doesn't have a goofy voice (why does he have a goofy voice in half his movies), I'm cool with it.

At first I thought you meant the character of Venom. And I thought back to Spider-Man 3, and the 90s cartoon and the spectacular spider-man cartoon, then this gnarly talking action figure in the early 90s; and I thought to myself, his voice always seemed pretty appropriate. Snakelike.

Then I realized you meant Tom Hardy.
Patriots7
(05-20-2017, 06:14 AM)

That is absolutely false.

Sony is releasing an animated Spider-Man film in 2018 featuring Miles Morales as Spider-Man. Which obviously will not be apart of the MCU and shows that Sony can do whatever the fuck it wants to with its IP.

If these three Spider-Man movies (Homecoming, animated Spider-Man and Venom) do well and Sony successfully launches the Valiant comics universe (Bloodshot, Harbinger, X-O), all of a sudden a studio major lacking huge tent pole films would have two universes to rely on. Seems like a fairly logical strategy.

I feel like Hardy is too old, but I'm psyched for a Venom movie.
samar11
(05-20-2017, 06:15 AM)

Originally Posted by jack_package_200

In comparison to the DC Universe movies and The ASM movies, they are pretty solid.

Well in comparison to Nolans Batman Universe, they are all garbage ha
Servbot24
(05-20-2017, 06:18 AM)
I'm not gonna argue with Tom Hardy as Venom

But splitting this from the MCU is such an unbelievably horrible idea
Strangelove77
(05-20-2017, 06:21 AM)

Well in comparison to Nolans Batman Universe, they are all garbage ha

And Logan is better than all 3 Nolan Batman movies so there's that lol
Burt
(05-20-2017, 06:22 AM)
praise the venomverse
Future
(05-20-2017, 06:24 AM)
Wait not in the same universe as spidey? WTF!
Undead Fantasy
(05-20-2017, 06:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Servbot24

I'm not gonna argue with Tom Hardy as Venom

But splitting this from the MCU is such an unbelievably horrible idea

Yep. This is literally my only problem with the film.
Wanderer5
(05-20-2017, 06:37 AM)
Tom Hardy in the role would probably be pretty cool, but it is hard to be excited for this movie and this spider-verse that Sony is trying to do apparently heh.
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(05-20-2017, 06:53 AM)
I'm really confused. So this isn't related to the MCU Spider-Man? I really don't get Sony's game here.
HarryKS
(05-20-2017, 06:54 AM)
I hope he doesn't mumble his lines.
Sesha
(05-20-2017, 07:00 AM)
Here are the screenwriters and their previous screenplay credits (I excluded TV shows, uncredited works and unsourced credits).

Scott Rosenberg:

Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead (1995)
Beautiful Girls (1996)
Con Air (1997)
Disturbing Behavior (1998)
Gone in 60 Seconds (2000)
High Fidelity (2000)
Impostor (2002)
Highway (2002)
Kangaroo Jack (2003)
Jumanji (2017)
Venom (2018)

Jeff Pinkner:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
The 5th Wave (2015)
The Dark Tower (2017)
Jumanji (2017)
Venom (2018)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (TBA)

Exciting.

Originally Posted by SRG01

Ehh, Tom Rothman is good at improving the bottom line, which Sony needs more given its financial situation.

Sure, but he is consistently bad news when it comes to genre movies. He can do Fox Searchlight-type stuff, but scifi/fantasy/superheroes, he really doesn't get.
Last edited by Sesha; 05-20-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Renekton
(05-20-2017, 07:01 AM)
Idea from Reddit: Jackie Earle Haley (Rorschach) as Carnage

O_Atoll
(05-20-2017, 07:03 AM)
Willem Dafoe as Carnage.
pixelation
(05-20-2017, 07:05 AM)
Sweet!... but isn't he a bit old to be playing Venom?
samar11
(05-20-2017, 07:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Strangelove77

And Logan is better than all 3 Nolan Batman movies so there's that lol

Well thats the thing about arts/movies/design in that the are subjective, I guess there is no point in arguing, otherwise it will go on forever lol