• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

The Adder
Member
(05-20-2017, 02:55 AM)
The Adder's Avatar

Originally Posted by Madness

This meta posting/disengenuous stuff has to really stop, especially if you think I am one of 'them'.

My reply was more to the point of 'is it really that serious'. This kind of shit does none of us any favours.

Alright, allow me to translate, because you clearly had a soap box you wanted to stand on today and are now too high up to read:

Originally Posted by Slayven

Folks be feeling themselves in Yelp reviews, is it that serious?

"People seem to develop for themselves both a sense of invulnerability and an overconfidence in themselves when posting reviews on Yelp. Is the activity of Yelp reviewing really so important to them?"
F0rneus
Tears in the rain
(05-20-2017, 02:57 AM)
F0rneus's Avatar
This woman sound like a complete ass. Good job on fucking up your career.
akira28
am I an eager baby bird?
am I a cute baby bunny?
(05-20-2017, 02:58 AM)
akira28's Avatar
it feels good to make your voice count
DontBeThatGuy
Member
(05-20-2017, 02:59 AM)
DontBeThatGuy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Madness

This meta posting/disengenuous stuff has to really stop, especially if you think I am one of 'them'.

My reply was more to the point of 'is it really that serious'. This kind of shit does none of us any favours.

You misunderstood him. Read again, and reprocess.
Dead Man
I got d 2 tha eepdicked
d-e-e-p-d-i-c-k-e-d
(05-20-2017, 03:00 AM)
Dead Man's Avatar

Originally Posted by antibolo

Claims that being "Asian" makes her an expert on mochi (a strictly Japanese thing)... and then complains about Japanese restaurant employees being Chinese.

How the fuck

Yeah that jumped out. No internal consistency with her douchebaggery at all.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(05-20-2017, 03:00 AM)
Slayven's Avatar

Originally Posted by Madness

This meta posting/disengenuous stuff has to really stop, especially if you think I am one of 'them'.

My reply was more to the point of 'is it really that serious'. This kind of shit does none of us any favours.

when some one makes a big deal about something u dont even care about

I wasn't saying "is it that serious?" that she said what she said. I was saying "Is it that serious?" meaning she went on yelp to be ass at all
Raonak
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:03 AM)
Raonak's Avatar
What a fucking idiot. Kinda refreshing to see racist bullshit come in all shapes and sizes
Citizen Mane
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:03 AM)

Mowell said Chu has always had a “strong personality and opinions,” based on their previous interactions...

People that get described this way are usually the cause of their own downfalls lol.
rpmurphy
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:04 AM)
rpmurphy's Avatar
Hello, I am the Mochi Ice Cream Authenticity Sheriff and I am here to tell you that you're a piece of shit.
.JayZii
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:06 AM)
.JayZii's Avatar
I think it's impressive that Asian people are inherently experts in all things Asian. It's some real Bene Gesserit Other Memory shit.
Madness
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:08 AM)
Madness's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slayven

I wasn't saying "is it that serious?" that she said what she said. I was saying "Is it that serious?" meaning she went on yelp to be ass at all

My mistake Slay. I misread. Others just want to join in on the usual dogpiling and one-upping and it wasn't what I intended in quoting your post or being on a soapbox or indignant. When you wrote is it that serious, I meant is just her shitty opinion on the Yelp review that serious. And not really. But her stupidity rightly called out. Was more making my own observation alongside your post.
Kayhan
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:09 AM)
Kayhan's Avatar

Originally Posted by .JayZii

I think it's impressive that Asian people are inherently experts in all things Asian. It's some real Bene Gesserit Other Memory shit.

I did not anticipate Dune references in this thread.
onken
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:09 AM)
onken's Avatar

Originally Posted by Spoiled Milk

Chu is also a Chinese name. Shame!

Could be Taiwanese (insert Republic of "China" joke here)
blame space
King of Members with nice chair, nice beard, nice wall hooks, broken TV, clean phone, and a red username.
(05-20-2017, 03:11 AM)
blame space's Avatar
🤔 how Asian is she
wandering
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:11 AM)
wandering's Avatar

Originally Posted by Madness

My mistake Slay. I misread. Others just want to join in on the usual dogpiling and one-upping and it wasn't what I intended in quoting your post or being on a soapbox or indignant. When you wrote is it that serious, I meant is just her shitty opinion on the Yelp review that serious. And not really. But her stupidity rightly called out. Was more making my own observation alongside your post.

Dunno, "People like to shift the goal posts of what racism or prejudice entails" seemed pretty soap-boxy.
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(05-20-2017, 03:12 AM)
firehawk12's Avatar

Originally Posted by Raonak

What a fucking idiot. Kinda refreshing to see racist bullshit come in all shapes and sizes

I dunno, I put it in the same category as Chinese people who laugh at people who think Panda Express is "Chinese" "food".
Admiral Woofington
m'Souls, m'lady
(05-20-2017, 03:14 AM)
Admiral Woofington's Avatar
I'm colombian and don't know jack shit about coffee.

I guess now I can go to yelp and review coffee.
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(05-20-2017, 03:15 AM)
Stinkles's Avatar
I'm judging her writing ability, empathy and racial tolerance in delicious bite sized packages. Still, at least she didn't one star them because she couldn't find parking or because the BBQ place didn't have many vegetarian options.

Was expecting it to be overblown "Hooters is a great place to eat white trash food and watch drunk executives leer..." but she took it five or six levels deeper.

Originally Posted by Kayhan

I did not anticipate Dune references in this thread.

Anticipation?!! Anticipation's a thing for cattle and loveplay!
ROUGE_BLOCK
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:17 AM)
ROUGE_BLOCK's Avatar
It's a Yelp review, there anyways petty,cruel and overly critical. Hell, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often tbh
KO Traveling Hobo
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:17 AM)
KO Traveling Hobo's Avatar

Originally Posted by NealMcCauley

Yeah I read about this earlier this week. Apparently the only reason why she was caught was she sent an email to her students saying she had reached Yelp Elite status (which is a thing), and her students started reading through the reviews.

This is the best part of the story.
Kanik
Sonic handles my blue balls
(05-20-2017, 03:19 AM)
Kanik's Avatar
So who's gonna apply for her position and include copies of your previous Yelp reviews along with your CV?

Sidenote: Staff at Chuck-E-Cheese are human and not rats.
Earthbound64
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:20 AM)
Earthbound64's Avatar

Chu had assured him and other Yale administrators that she had only posted two “troubling” reviews. After discovering “multiple reprehensible” posts...

So even after being caught, she went with "It was only these 2" when there were actually multiple other ones out there?...
Turbo Killer
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:21 AM)
Turbo Killer's Avatar

Originally Posted by blame space

🤔 how Asian is she

She knows Mochi, can't get more Asian than that.
Brianimaniac
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:21 AM)
Brianimaniac's Avatar
I'm more fascinated by the poor quality of the writing than the racism.
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
(05-20-2017, 03:22 AM)
Rentahamster's Avatar
This guy got fired for using the phrase "white trash", too.

https://youtu.be/3A-Z5sRwgLM

lol
Cocaloch
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:23 AM)
Cocaloch's Avatar
This post needs to explain what a dean of a residential college is at Yale. It's not a very big deal. She's basically just in charge of a dorm.
Last edited by Cocaloch; 05-20-2017 at 03:45 AM.
Qvoth
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:29 AM)
Qvoth's Avatar
being asian (surname is chu so she's chinese) has no correlation with knowledge of mochi though, mochi is a japanese creation afaik
seems like she's just pissed the place isn't "authentic" enough or some shit, like so what if the place hires chinese instead of japanese? if the food's good should the race of the employees even matter?
finowns
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:31 AM)
finowns's Avatar
I'm not even mad this is a very helpful review, don't eat mochi at this place-- she got that across.
cdyhybrid
(05-20-2017, 03:34 AM)
cdyhybrid's Avatar
The Yelp streets are hot
ElectricKaibutsu
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:36 AM)
ElectricKaibutsu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dingens

since when does "being Asian" make you an expert on mochi?

This is what stood out to me as well.
rpmurphy
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:37 AM)
rpmurphy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Qvoth

being asian (surname is chu so she's chinese) has no correlation with knowledge of mochi though, mochi is a japanese creation afaik
seems like she's just pissed the place isn't "authentic" enough or some shit, like so what if the place hires chinese instead of japanese? if the food's good should the race of the employees even matter?

My fav local sushi chef is Hmong (also surnamed Chu, coincidentally) and lol of course it doesn't matter, cooking is a learned skill. You still gotta learn it from someone who knows their stuff, but other than that, authenticity is just a matter of perspective.
Fuchsdh
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:38 AM)
Fuchsdh's Avatar
Man, I thought this was going to be over the acceptability of "white trash" and whether it is essentially racist (either against white people, or by implying white people are "naturally superior" than everyone else.)

But no, it's way simpler than that.
TheGameshark
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:39 AM)

Originally Posted by blame space

I don't know how much the rest of you know about yelp reviews

ahahaha
.JayZii
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:40 AM)
.JayZii's Avatar

Originally Posted by NealMcCauley

Apparently the only reason why she was caught was she sent an email to her students saying she had reached Yelp Elite status (which is a thing), and her students started reading through the reviews.

The HUBRIS.
Hellwarden
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:41 AM)
Hellwarden's Avatar
I wasn't aware Mochi was such serious business.

Losing a position of respect and admiration in academia over Mochi.

Goddamn.
itwasTuesday
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:42 AM)
itwasTuesday's Avatar
mochi looks like video game food.
pa22word
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:44 AM)
pa22word's Avatar

Originally Posted by frontovik

It never ceases to amuse me that individuals in positions of authority, especially academia as prestigious as Yale wants to broadcast their ill-founded views to the world.

With academia it's easy: they're used to interacting with students so much that it warps their perspective on what's acceptable to other people and what's not. E.g. The students laughed at your joke because they don't wanna piss you off, not because you're actually funny.
.JayZii
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:47 AM)
.JayZii's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kayhan

I did not anticipate Dune references in this thread.

Former Pierson College Dean June Chu: "I am no mere child, I awakened to consciousness in my mother's womb.
Aarglefarg
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:48 AM)
Aarglefarg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fuchsdh

Man, I thought this was going to be over the acceptability of "white trash" and whether it is essentially racist (either against white people, or by implying white people are "naturally superior" than everyone else.)

But no, it's way simpler than that.

It's more classist than anything.
Yoda
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:48 AM)
Yoda's Avatar

“I have learned a lot this semester about the power of words and about the accountability that we owe one another,” Chu wrote. “My remarks were wrong. There are no two ways about it. Not only were they insensitive in matters related to class and race; they demean the values to which I hold myself and which I offer as a member of this community.”

^ Her apology... to Yale students... not the people she offended by her remarks. Talk about being fucking tone-deaf.
pa22word
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:54 AM)
pa22word's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aarglefarg

It's more classist than anything.

White trash has always had racial undertones towards African Americans, though afaik. Pretty sure it originated in the antebellum south referring to people who were "as close to being as worthless as a nword but still white." Hence, whitetrash.
OG Shaka Zulu
Member
(05-20-2017, 03:57 AM)
OG Shaka Zulu's Avatar
White people invented both white trash and the c-word.
Epsilon-delta
Member
(05-20-2017, 04:04 AM)
Epsilon-delta's Avatar
What makes this even more special is that Chu has a PhD in social psychology.

She obviously did not learn anything while in graduate school in her respective field.
dejay
Writer of the Bhagafad Gita
(05-20-2017, 04:20 AM)
dejay's Avatar
Too edgy. Might have worked for a stand up comedian, not a dean. Really though, if she used a little more code wording, she would have been fine.

"White trash" - bad. "Delusional Trump supporters" - ok.


She's probably right about me, but I'm very basic in my tastes.
antibolo
Member
(05-20-2017, 04:22 AM)
antibolo's Avatar

Originally Posted by rpmurphy

Hello, I am the Mochi Ice Cream Authenticity Sheriff and I am here to tell you that you're a piece of shit.

But are you Asian enough to wear that badge good sir
Hip Hop
Member
(05-20-2017, 04:22 AM)
Hip Hop's Avatar
I would have placed them on leave for the first review.
They deserve to be fired altogether.
Last edited by Hip Hop; 05-20-2017 at 04:26 AM.
Forkball
Member
(05-20-2017, 04:24 AM)
Forkball's Avatar
"I'm Asian. I know mochi."

"Employees are Chinese, not Japanese"

June Chu

Uh huh...
Tinfoilhatsron
Member
(05-20-2017, 04:27 AM)
Tinfoilhatsron's Avatar

Originally Posted by wandering

Dunno, "People like to shift the goal posts of what racism or prejudice entails" seemed pretty soap-boxy.

Stop dogpiling Madness!
Mortemis
Member
(05-20-2017, 04:29 AM)
Mortemis's Avatar

Originally Posted by NealMcCauley

Yeah I read about this earlier this week. Apparently the only reason why she was caught was she sent an email to her students saying she had reached Yelp Elite status (which is a thing), and her students started reading through the reviews.

The way this shit went down is amazing. 😂😂
HisImperialMajesty
Junior Member
(05-20-2017, 04:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Qvoth

being asian (surname is chu so she's chinese) has no correlation with knowledge of mochi though, mochi is a japanese creation afaik
seems like she's just pissed the place isn't "authentic" enough or some shit, like so what if the place hires chinese instead of japanese? if the food's good should the race of the employees even matter?

Originally Posted by Forkball

"I'm Asian. I know mochi."

"Employees are Chinese, not Japanese"

June Chu

Uh huh...

Originally Posted by antibolo

Claims that being "Asian" makes her an expert on mochi (a strictly Japanese thing)... and then complains about Japanese restaurant employees being Chinese.

How the fuck

Mochi isn't strictly a Japanese thing. It's eaten all across Asia, with many local variants as well.

She's still an idiot, but just wanted to correct that point.

Thread Tools