• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Kthulhu
(05-20-2017, 03:35 AM)
Context: I'm an IT intern at a company with about 200+ on site employees. The Boss in question is a known hot head who apparently treats everyone this way.

Today one of my coworkers got yelled at by one of the higher ups at our company today. It was over something extremely trivial​ that was a result of a decision made by the co-owners of the company. (We were told to force all company computers backgrounds to display the company logo, dude got pissed and started chewing out the nearest IT guy he could find.)

She simply sat their and calmly delt with it without getting visibly angry. This is almost impossible for me to do, if I screwed up I'm fine with getting chewed out, but if I was doing my job and I get yelled at, I can barely contain my anger. Esspecially if I was putting in serious overtime.

Is this something I'll just learn how to do? Am I just not cut out for office work and the unfortunate realities of white collar work?
Earthbound64
(05-20-2017, 03:41 AM)
Look toward the end goals, and what you need to do to get there.
johnsmith
remember me
(05-20-2017, 03:41 AM)
I've never been yelled at at work. This is not normal. It sounds like a toxic work environment. Look for a new job.
brian577
(05-20-2017, 03:42 AM)
I suck it up and move on with my day.
Dishwalla
(05-20-2017, 03:43 AM)
This isn't a problem if you were in the military. Ain't nothing a potential boss could say to me that I haven't heard from a Chief Petty Officer.
Phu
Search for a new job while on the clock. No reason for yelling unless you're, say, a lifeguard and you almost let someone die because you were screwing off.
Mendrox
She knows he has a small penis so she doesnt care. People with such anger problems have other problems and try to compensate that. She knows that so she cant take it seriously. Just ignore that shit.
SynthFetish
I've never held a job for longer than 2 hours.
Dusktildawn48
My boss is my wife so I just sush her. Lol
Fat4all
my boss has never yelled at me

we cool

Originally Posted by SynthFetish

I've never held a job for longer than 2 hours.

i hate it when that happens
U2NUMB
(05-20-2017, 03:44 AM)
I have about 20 or so people reporting to me.. I have never yelled at any of them.. in no way will that get that person or the rest of your team to work hard for you.

I am sorry you have a boss who has no idea how to communicate to their staff.. thats horrible.
Unknown Soldier
(05-20-2017, 03:44 AM)
My boss is awesome so I don't really have any problems like this.
Vincent Alexander
(05-20-2017, 03:45 AM)
My first job we got yelled at. Worked in a corn field. Generally it was ok, you suck it up, and do better...but we would get yelled at as a group, so no one was specifically ripped apart for being shitty. The key part is he never was out of line or over the top, and we respected him, so we understood why he would yell when he did. And it was a rare occurrence. Now if I was yelled at in my current job working at technical support...I would lose my shit. Not sure why there is a difference in my head though.
Cracklox
(05-20-2017, 03:46 AM)
I had a boss like this for a few years. Was unsettling at first, but after a while I learnt he was just passionate about what he did, and he never held anything against you afterwards after he got the yelling out of his system.

Actually grew to respect the dude after a while
Heroman
(05-20-2017, 03:46 AM)
I them that I ain't no child and you will treat me with respect
Autumn Wind
(05-20-2017, 03:47 AM)
To me that is unacceptable especially if you're being insulted with profanity on top of being yelled at. I would never tolerate that.
linkboy
(05-20-2017, 03:47 AM)
I can't do anything since I'm in the Air Force.

I had one time where I made the Chief Master Sgt (the highest enlisted member of our squadron) mad and ended up spending the next few hours getting my ass chewed out by my entire chain of command (damn near had a nervous breakdown, and nobody in my chain cared).

So glad I'm getting out soon.
Last edited by linkboy; 05-20-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Clefargle
(05-20-2017, 03:48 AM)
I don't stand in front of a mirror
low-G
If your boss is yelling at you doing your job correctly that's fucked. I'd probably spread rumors / have him destroyed for defying HIS bosses.
Wamb0wneD
Had a yelling boss once. I just smiled and imagined how i would punch the mofo. Worked for me.
Toki767
So it's not your actual boss right? Just someone that's high up in the company?
pa22word
I've never gotten yelled at, but the people who do usually just yell back at him lol

He's kind of a tail between the legs and deer in headlights kind of guy when it comes to conflict >.>

Great guy, but yeah...
notsol337
marked forever
(05-20-2017, 03:49 AM)
The one time I had a supervisor get so angry with what was going on that they decided to yell at me, I made it perfectly clear that his actions were not professional and that he could find someone else to do my job if he wanted to treat me poorly.

He immediately calmed down, and apologized. He also never seemed to hold it against me. I ended up leaving that company for unrelated reasons (lol retail).

The job I went to after that also had a shitty boss, and after telling one of the supervisors twice that his behavior was unacceptable, I left.

I'm much happier where I am now, which is also in IT. Find something better.
Skiptastic
Never had a boss yell at me but I have seen my boss's boss's boss yell at my boss. Really scummy because he did it quite a bit and it was uncalled for.

Thank god when my boss left, that guy left too so I reported directly to my boss's boss. He's a great dude and we get along swimmingly.
DeaconKnowledge
I'm my own boss.
Kilau
I yell back. He is always wrong anyway and he needs me more than I need him.
bobbyrawlins
(05-20-2017, 03:54 AM)
Hit your boss lightly with a soft pillow.
AlexBasch
(05-20-2017, 03:54 AM)

Originally Posted by johnsmith

I've never been yelled at at work. This is not normal. It sounds like a toxic work environment. Look for a new job.

Yep. Mine has a completely toxic environment as well, in which our boss yells constantly, berates other people and is basically a dictator.

Pretty much why I have been searching for a new job while I lazy around doing the minimum around here, used to push myself to do things great and whatnot, even with my 12 hour shift schedule, but getting that kind of treatment? Nah, not gonna do it. I sent some CV's over the week and here's hoping one sticks.
Joyful
(05-20-2017, 03:56 AM)
tell them to shut the fuck up probably
id give them a few chances then probably escalate to violence
depends on how bad I need the job really
Makai
(05-20-2017, 03:57 AM)
My old boss fired someone so hard they had a heart attack and died in his office. He loved telling that story.
HardRojo
(05-20-2017, 03:59 AM)
My bosses never yelled at me, there was one time when I had a little impasse with my boss, but we talked about it and it was fine, he never yelled, was more of a "you know you fucked up, fix it" kind of guy. If I was yelled at for doing something that was mandated then I'd simply e-mail the boss the evidence stating I did as I was instructed and they had no reason to yell at me, might even CC someone from HR, depending on how well I get along with the people in the office. I could have done that in my previous job if it came to it, I got along with everyone there.
Kthulhu
(05-20-2017, 03:59 AM)

Originally Posted by U2NUMB

I have about 20 or so people reporting to me.. I have never yelled at any of them.. in no way will that get that person or the rest of your team to work hard for you.

I am sorry you have a boss who has no idea how to communicate to their staff.. thats horrible.

He's not my boss (thank God). He is in charge of the division that was setup when my company acquired 50% of his.

Other employees and I have noticed his attitude is affecting the whole division to varying extents. So I really hope he either gets his shit together or he somehow gets canned.

Originally Posted by low-G

If your boss is yelling at you doing your job correctly that's fucked. I'd probably spread rumors / have him destroyed for defying HIS bosses.

Oh, I've told other employees about it. Unfortunately this guy is in a near untouchable position and the owners can't just kick him to the curb.
eosos
(05-20-2017, 04:02 AM)
If it's not my fault then I don't and yell back. Otherwise chill
Electric Eye
(05-20-2017, 04:03 AM)
Management is not allowed to yell at us or they are gonna have a nice chat with HR and our Union and then get their ass transferred. If anyone even raises their voice at you keep your cool and tell him/her firmly that your are both adults and he/she better damn talk to you like one or the next step is HR.
Last edited by Electric Eye; 05-20-2017 at 04:05 AM.
Quick
(05-20-2017, 04:04 AM)
I've never been yelled at directly by any of my bosses. At most, snarky and rude emails by a superior (above my boss).

On that end, I just didn't reply and spoke to my boss directly about the situation.
Bishop89
(05-20-2017, 04:05 AM)
Down to earth environment at my work. have never been told off and will never be, at that place
highrider

Originally Posted by Dishwalla

This isn't a problem if you were in the military. Ain't nothing a potential boss could say to me that I haven't heard from a Chief Petty Officer.

My army experience actually made me worse for it. If it's not jail or the military and you yell at me you might catch hands, or at very least get a verbal beat down. Fuck a job where some guy can just let his stress out on me. At least in the military it served a wierd purpose.
SDBurton
World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I don't. I won't hesitate to contact HR and drop a case on someone. Did it before and i'd do it again.
Luminaire
(05-20-2017, 04:06 AM)
I just ask them calmly to explain to me how them yelling at me is going to resolve the issue we're having.
Sub Boss
(05-20-2017, 04:07 AM)
Practice meditation
MrOogieBoogie
BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
lol I wouldn't. Never had a boss yell at me. Life's too short for that shit and I would instantly leave. I've quit jobs for FAR less.
ChubbyHuggs
I've never been yelled at by any boss. I did see one of my previous bosses yell at a coworker and he yelled back, "Don't you ever raised your goddamn voice with me or yell in my direction again. I'm a grown ass man." Boss looked legit shook. Ran off upstairs, moments later coworker gets called up to the office over the PA. Came back and said our boss apologized.
BlueTsunami
there is joy in sucking dick
(05-20-2017, 04:08 AM)
Explore the next venture outside the company. I'm not your kid.
Tenck
(05-20-2017, 04:09 AM)
My HR department handles stuff like that. We have report system that HQ checks and responds to immediately.
soldat7
(05-20-2017, 04:10 AM)
I get up and walk away. So far, so good.
Jzero
(05-20-2017, 04:10 AM)
I don't. I'd quit on the middle of my shift and fuck them over by not having anyone to cover immediately. I've burned bridges before.
Kthulhu
(05-20-2017, 04:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Luminaire

I just ask them calmly to explain to me how them yelling at me is going to resolve the issue we're having.

Whenever you give him a reasonable response he gets even more pissed an walks off.

Sometimes I wish I majored in psychology instead. There's gotta be something that happened to him to make him that quick to anger.
SolidusDave
(05-20-2017, 04:12 AM)
Yeah no I don't deal with it at all because it doesn't happen. This is not something normal.
You would need to produce a colossal fuck up that threatens someone's health or something to excuse that.

A sizable portion of upper management have psychopathic personality types though (as those are naturally attracted to these positions) so I'm sure it still happens often enough.
jackissocool
(05-20-2017, 04:13 AM)
Unionize
Vengal
(05-20-2017, 04:13 AM)
Sometimes you need to sit back and evaluate your situation. Is your IT group internal or external? Are you a contractor, is your boss a contractor? Is you department part of its own budget or framed like a service provided to the company where your budget is collected from slices of other departments budgets.

Getting yelled at sucks but IT is largely a service based role within a company. In service the customer tends to be always right and feel like they have the right to mistreat you.

My first IT job I made the mistake of trying to correct a guy about a name change in our system which impacted response time for account creation. I should have just shut my trap and not tried to correct the man because I was treated to a very long yelling session.

Internalize stuff and problem solve the situation. Is it with you engaging the person and escalating things or do you let them vent and wait for them to get vile and violent then report them to HR. One benefit of that first job I had was every call is recorded. So I didn't get in trouble when he tried to throw me under the bus but I was told next time just to let it go.