• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Boogiepop
(05-20-2017, 04:04 AM)
So, this is an "issue" I've had for a while, and it's at least fortunately not one that comes up a lot. But man, I've been watching through Curb Your Enthusiasm, and it's been borderline ruining a number of the episodes for me.

Anyway, to actually explain: there are definitely plenty of sitcoms out there that rely on awkward situations for humor, and... I don't know what it is, but when there's some "magic" combination of how it's set up, the awkwardness/embarassment of the situation starts affecting me, sometimes even to the point where I unconciously get into an "I can't watch/be a part of this" mindset. I totally realize it's dumb, but I just can't help it. (To give an example, for whatever reason, the episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm with the doll hit me real, real bad on this for whatever reason.)

It's at least fairly limited that it's only every once in a while (though I'm actually frustratingly running into it a decent amount in Curb), and I'm actually not sure I've ever had it happen outside of live action sitcoms.

So yeah, tldr: When things get super awkward in sitcoms, I occassionally feel super awkward myself and have trouble watching. Anyone else have this issue too, or am I just a weirdo?
Lkr
(05-20-2017, 04:09 AM)
The awkward feeling from curb is part of what makes it hilarious to me. That show can make me physically uncomfortable, I don't know any other sitcoms that can do that.
platakul
(05-20-2017, 04:10 AM)
LD perfected the cringe laugh in Curb. Gervais did it well on the Office
Sat0ri
(05-20-2017, 04:11 AM)
Watch Peep Show and see how long you last.

It definitely happens to me, but strangely it has become part of the enjoyment for some shows.
Last edited by Sat0ri; 05-20-2017 at 04:13 AM.
Otnopolit
(05-20-2017, 04:11 AM)
I usually just duck and cover. Ever since I was a teenager I would physically just curl up in discomfort, or look away. I think I'm able to put myself in the shoes of the characters a little too much, it can be painful. And actually OP, the exact reason I can't watch Curb.
vatstep
This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
(05-20-2017, 04:14 AM)
Hello Ladies is the best I've ever seen at this.
EdibleKnife
(05-20-2017, 04:16 AM)
Usually stuff that's really good like Curb. Lesser shows like King of Queens or Full House don't do the same for me.
The Exploder
(05-20-2017, 04:16 AM)
I always have to watch Curb episodes a second time to think they are funny, because the first time it just feels like I'm watching a horror movie.
rockinreelin
(05-20-2017, 04:17 AM)
It's called cringe comedy and it's a lot more common these days then before. Seems like the more cynical we get as a society the more you see this type of comedy on TV and in movies. In my opinion it is usually a sign of poor writing or writers not having original ideas. I can only stomach master of none in small doses because of the cringe factor.
oti
(05-20-2017, 04:19 AM)
We have a word for this in German. "Fremdschämen".

[the feeling of shame on someone else's behalf; the feeling of shame for someone else who has done sth. embarrassing]

I can't watch some shows because of this.
cosmicspooks
(05-20-2017, 04:20 AM)
It literally takes me an entire day to get through one episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm because it makes me so uncomfortable.
I think that show is absolute genius and one of the best there is, but man...I can't watch it.
markofhavoc
(05-20-2017, 04:20 AM)
You need to watch peep show. I feel like I have to leave the room sometimes

Originally Posted by Sat0ri

It definitely happens to me, but strangely it has become part of the enjoyment for some shows.

Beaten, but so right
nomis
(05-20-2017, 04:21 AM)
I thought everyone was supposed to get this, and eventually it becomes addictive to feel

Seems like the whole thesis of stuff like The Office
hokagespit
(05-20-2017, 04:21 AM)
silicon valley ended up on the back burner for me for awhile because the mcs misfortune started aching me to strongly
Piers
(05-20-2017, 04:23 AM)
Fawlty Towers use to be something I giggled at as a kid.
Now it's "oh wow, oh god, he's done for" and I wince.
dragonlife
(05-20-2017, 04:23 AM)
I suffer from a severe case of second-hand embarrassment, so cringy comedy is like running a stake through me. I will drop a show or go back to it waaaaay in the future if I feel suffocated by some situations. It's even worse when there's build-up and you can just see how shit is going to unravel.

Peep Show does this to me. I managed to make it to season 4, but it's been years since I last watched it. I still plan to get to it.

I haven't made it past Please Like Me's first episode of its final season because it's this dinner scene where people are trying to talk and have a good time, but there's this underlying feeling that's so pervasive because there's stuff going on between a lot of the characters (iirc), and it's torture to sit through. It doesn't help that the main character is awkward himself.

It doesn't necessarily have to be comedy.
Appleman
(05-20-2017, 04:26 AM)
Yeah I think that's just called cringing
riotous
(05-20-2017, 04:26 AM)
Not sitcoms; but reality shows are hard for me to watch due to this. I get really embarrassed for the people acting like fools.
dragonlife
(05-20-2017, 04:28 AM)

Originally Posted by riotous

Not sitcoms; but reality shows are hard for me to watch due to this. I get really embarrassed for the people acting like fools.

Oh, god. Yeah. Agreed.
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(05-20-2017, 04:28 AM)
Frankenstrat
(05-20-2017, 04:35 AM)
Yeah some bits of Louie hit that nerve hard.
Scrooge McDuck
(05-20-2017, 04:39 AM)
Very much so. It's what makes a lot of British sitcoms unwatchable to me. My heart just can't take it.
Tigress
(05-20-2017, 04:57 AM)
The biggest reason I hated Seinfeld was Jason Alexander's character was so embarrassing I couldn't watch it without being really embarrassed for him.
Mimosa97
(05-20-2017, 05:05 AM)

Originally Posted by oti

[the feeling of shame on someone else's behalf; the feeling of shame for someone else who has done sth. embarrassing]

I have the same issue. It's even worse when I'm made to watch a cringe compilation or fail compilation on youtube. I remember that awful " cringe yourself to sleep " thread. I just can't. I feel horrible for the people involved. It makes me physically ill so I have to look away.

Also I'm always amazed by the fact that it takes one word on German to desribe something so precisely. It would take at least 10 words or more to describe that feeling in French and it would still be kinda vague lol.
cr0w
(05-20-2017, 05:06 AM)

Originally Posted by vatstep

Hello Ladies is the best I've ever seen at this.

The wife and I just binged the series and movie recently. I fell in love with it from the first episode when he fell through the table at the bar whilst screaming, 'MASTURBATING!'

Under all the awkward it had a lot of heart, too.
Sadsic
good music, man
(05-20-2017, 05:08 AM)
Nathan for You is the real deal for cringe
LakeEarth
(05-20-2017, 05:10 AM)
Yes, very uncomfortable. If I'm home, I fast forward, and if I'm at the movies, I pop off my glasses and look away from the screen. All the while, I am laughing at the comedic situation. It's not right.
DeadPhoenix
(05-20-2017, 05:15 AM)
I have this problem to the point i don't watch shows I otherwise enjoy. Everything off always Sunny Ive seen is great, but I've maybe watch one stains with of episodes. I couldn't even force myself to finish the first season of Bojack horseman because of this. Even in shows where this is not really a thing I will find myself pause the episode because I can't handle what I know it's about to come next. I still remember on time I freaked out and changed the channel on the middle of a family matters episode, pissing off all my brothers.

Seriously, I think I may need help.
Zantetsuken
(05-20-2017, 05:16 AM)

Originally Posted by riotous

Yes! I cannot watch some shows sometimes because of this.
Strangelove77
(05-20-2017, 05:18 AM)
The only show that does this to me is Louie.
Yabberwocky
(05-20-2017, 05:19 AM)
Ha, yep - it's always comforting to know I'm not the only one! I've gotten better with it over the years, but the first time I watched The Office (Ricky Gervais version) I ended up in a foetal position in horrified second hand embarrassment.
Dongs Macabre
aka Daedalos42
Scott's Tots
gblues
Fraser's entire schtick is this and I can't stand it.
Saucestin_Roast
(05-20-2017, 05:20 AM)
You're absolutely not alone OP. I feel film/television/music/whatever in a very visceral way that sometimes overwhelms me like in the situations you described with awkward scenes. I think it's just part of being a sensitive human being. You're probably also a good person who's extra considerate of others feelings because of this.
mieumieu
(05-20-2017, 05:22 AM)
I am like that ever since I can remember things.
blame space
King of Members with nice chair, nice beard, nice wall hooks, broken TV, clean phone, and a red username.
(05-20-2017, 05:24 AM)
I can't watch Scott's tots I just can't

Or when he announces Phyllis and Bob at their wedding before Bob's said "I do". I die. Oh god his toast..
notaskwid
(05-20-2017, 05:26 AM)
I love that feeling, I find it hilarious.
ThisGuy
Banned
(05-20-2017, 05:28 AM)
Ben stiller does this to me.
Syder
(05-20-2017, 05:58 AM)

Originally Posted by Sat0ri

"This has gotta be a dream! Nothing this bad could ever happen in reality!"
whitemex88
(05-20-2017, 06:02 AM)
The episode of the Office where Michael promised those kids he'd pay for their college. I don't think I can ever watch that episode because of how cringy and awkward that situation is
Edit: beaten. But at least I'm not the only one
NoblesseOblige
(05-20-2017, 06:03 AM)
People call Curb and such 'cringe comedy' but not once did I cringe. I guess because it's a work of fiction I don't feel embarrassed for characters.

Now seeing youtube videos of white suburban kids trying to be hip-hop, that's cringe.
Last edited by NoblesseOblige; 05-20-2017 at 06:05 AM.
kirblar
(05-20-2017, 06:03 AM)
Yes, OP, you're not alone. Same thing happens to me, I tend to avoid stuff like that.
brinstar
(05-20-2017, 06:07 AM)
There's some episodes of Broad City that hit me with this feeling hard.
Sheroking
(05-20-2017, 06:08 AM)

Originally Posted by ThisGuy

Ben stiller does this to me.

Yeah, I actually can not watch Meet the Fockers for this reason.
metalslimer
(05-20-2017, 06:09 AM)
Yeah I sometimes have to pause scenes in movies if it becomes too cringey. I try and watch stuff with people because I can do that a lot easier.

It's nice to see I'm not some crazy person with this kind of stuff.
mr2xxx
(05-20-2017, 06:11 AM)
Its been getting worse over the years for me. Plenty of shows/movies I just pause from the awkwardness and never return to.
Kitsunebaby
(05-20-2017, 06:11 AM)
All the fucking time. I regularly have to change the channel out of embarrassment. Makes it hard for me to enjoy certain comedies, even though they're really good.
NoblesseOblige
(05-20-2017, 06:13 AM)

Originally Posted by metalslimer

It's nice to see I'm not some crazy person with this kind of stuff.

Not sure if us on GAF make a good barometer of sanity.
oti
(05-20-2017, 06:22 AM)

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige

Not sure if us on GAF make a good barometer of sanity.

woo and indeed hoo
(05-20-2017, 06:27 AM)
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

I find farce/cringe humour excruciatingly painful to watch. I used to try and watch shows like The Office anyway but now I spare myself the pain.

Originally Posted by oti

New word GET! Thanks :D.