• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

shadow2810
(05-20-2017, 04:12 AM)
Going to travel tomorrow and I'm wondering if I can use this adapter for all my devices: phone, portable charger, 3DS, Switch + controller. The phone and portable charger are compatible so they should be fine, but I'm somewhat concerned about the 3DS and Switch.

It's a quick charge adapter that came with LG G5.

Is there a way to check if my devices won't blow up if I plug them in?

Thanks
PipefishUK
(05-20-2017, 04:18 AM)
I think in theory all USB chargers are supposed to detect the voltage that the device supports and adjust accordingly.

Therefore any USB port/charger can charge any device safely.

I say in theory because I killed a PS4 joypad by charging it with a Samsung fast charger.
sazzy
pronounced "sassy"
(05-20-2017, 04:20 AM)
compare the output of the charger (on the label) to what is required for your switch or 3ds (look for similar label on the device or its charger)
linkboy
(05-20-2017, 04:20 AM)
The 3DS should charge perfectly fine with that charger. I've used mine with a USB charging cable and phone chargers.

The Switch might be a problem.
shadow2810
(05-20-2017, 04:31 AM)

Originally Posted by sazzy

compare the output of the charger (on the label) to what is required for your switch or 3ds (look for similar label on the device or its charger)

The Switch label says 15v-2.6A so I guess it won't blow the device up but will take longer to charge right?
Mister_Ruck
(05-20-2017, 04:33 AM)
I don't think it will be an issue but you can always check the your devices to see what voltage they want. The bigger issue would really be that the Switch might need something a bit beefier to actually pull a charge, but I don't have one so I don't know. You can check before you leave though.
shadow2810
(05-20-2017, 04:39 AM)
In worst case scenario I can charge the portable charger first then use it to charge the Switch. Just want to make sure the charger won't harm the hardware.
madmook
Admire my girth. Mmm.
(05-20-2017, 04:46 AM)
You should be fine. When the quick charge adapter detects that the device you've plugged into it is not a certified Qualcomm Quick Charge device, it should fall back to being a standard 5V USB charger.
ZOONAMI
(05-20-2017, 04:49 AM)
That one works with the switch and actually pulls enough juice to maintain charge level while gaming.